Chapter Seven : Marigolds

Transient
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

      The next morning Kyungsoo can’t bring him to sit up in bed. His eyes open, blinking briefly but his body feels as heavy as stone. It’s as if gravity is forcing him from leaving, at least that’s what he wants to believe. Perhaps he wants to keep wishing for unrealistic complications because he knows the truth is far from what he wanted.

Kyungsoo’s on his feet before Chanyeol enters the room to wake him.


      “You’re up? Good, I made a lot for breakfast so go wash up quickly.”
       Kyungsoo nods his head, and Chanyeol disappears once more. Kyungsoo pulls himself together reluctantly. As he peers into the mirror, he can see how his sleepless night had contoured his round face into something gaunter.
      Outside the clouds cluster in and Kyungsoo expects a downpour to hit at any minute. It’s like the weather knows, he thinks. Kyungsoo had always found it strange how well the weather has reflected his emotions. He could feel the storms brewing, knowing the lightning would strike him.


      When Kyungsoo joins Chanyeol at the dining table, Chanyeol has already finished half his plate.
     “Don’t go wasting time now; eat up.”
      Kyungsoo takes a piece of toast in his hand chewing on it.
     “I haven’t much of an appetite.”
    “You still worked up over that dumb kiss?’
    “How many times do I have to tell you, It’s not dumb to me!”
    “Right, right. First kiss blah blah…” Chanyeol looks away as he takes a deep sip of his coffee. “Just know you’ll have hundreds of those kisses and the more you have, the more you’ll stop trying to attach meaning to a fleeting physical touch.”
    “Have I ever told you how cynical you are?”
    “No, but I can ensure you that I’ve been called much worse.”
     Kyungsoo scoots his chair back, toast still in hand.
    “I have to go before the storm starts.”
                                                                                                 —
    Kyungsoo wasn’t exaggerating as he steps outside and is almost immediately swept back by a gust of wind. Even as he pushes off, he has the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter