Part Five: Peonies

Transient
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo wakes with a jolt as Chanyeol rips the covers from his body.

    “It’s already 8; You do want to keep your job right?.”

    “Shi—” Kyungsoo grabs the clock by his bed as he scrambles to his feet. He runs past Chanyeol and into the bathroom. He runs his hands under the sink water, splashing it against his face and his hair.

    “It’s not like you to be so scatterbrained, is there something up?”

    Kyungsoo pats his face dry with a towel before running again. Chanyeol follows closely, arms crossed against his chest.

    “Hyung It’s just—ugh” he sighs, “I’m sorry I really don’t have time for this right now.”

    Chanyeol doesn’t respond; he exits the room with his hands in the air.

    

    I couldn’t sleep. Thinking about yesterday, trying to articulate it all. Pick apart the details of a dark stranger in the snow.

    Kyungsoo buttons his shirt in the mirror. His eyes trace his own features. He starts by tugging back his skin thinking it would make him look older. He is pushing out his chest from the side, standing on the base of his feet to add mere inches to his small stature. But then he sinks back into himself and accepts his faults and continues dressing.

 

    The weather today shows no remnants of yesterdays. Though cloudy, the sun still apparent and the air warm again. The snow that had once clung to the inside rubber of Kyungsoo’s bicycle wheel had changed to dew.

    Chanyeol watches from the window as Kyungsoo kicks off and disappears down the road. I don’t even have time to see Jongin.  He checks his watch as he leans against the bars only to realize how late he’s running. Still, as he nears, his eyes glued to that spot just to catch a glimpse.

    In an instance, the sound of his heart drowned out everything and then Nothing. He was gone. Kyungsoo felt his heart drop. Was he even real?

    His fingers tighten around the bike handles until they shake, knuckles losing all color. But there was no time to get upset, Kyungsoo’d have to stay composed and continue. So he picked up speed, letting the wind hit him so hard tears form.

    —

    Kyungsoo feels drowsier than normal as he begins his day worth of work. His neighboring coworker greets him as Kyungsoo sits down at his station, but it’s almost as if Kyungsoo doesn’t hear him, so he speaks again.

    “Kyungsoo?”

    Kyungsoo turns in confusion to his name; his eyes fall on the man leaned over the table looking at him curiously.

    “You okay? You seem a bit off today.” The man leans back, falling into his seat. 

    “Maybe, I’m not sure.” Kyungsoo takes material from the pile and cuts into each piece. He is molding the fabric over the mold and sewing a stitch. At least work would take his mind off of things for a moment, but soon enough he knew the thoughts would surely coming flooding back in.

    Kyungsoo’s coworker frowned, watching as Kyungsoo’s expression soured as if he was about to tear up. Soon enough he can’t bear it anymore and scoots his chair back and abrup

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter