A Moment

A Moment

“Who was that?” Seungcheol asked as Jeonghan got off the phone.

“Why do you need to know?”

A moment passed.

“Was it Jennie?”

“And if it was?”

Another moment.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with her.”

“Your point?”

Another moment.

“You know…this is the third date you’ve missed this week. You never even called me.” Seungcheol noted, putting a package down on Jeonghan’s bed.

“Really? Sorry. Guess I was too busy.” Jeonghan said carelessly, too busy taking off his leather jacket.

“…were you with her all those times?”

“What’s with all the questions?” Jeonghan asked defensively.

“I just want to know the truth.” Seungcheol mumbled but Jeonghan heard it clearly.

“Why should it matter if I was with her?” His voice rising slightly.

“I’m just asking a question! Why can’t you answer me without being so difficult!” Seungcheol’s voice even louder.

“Why? Because you think I’m cheating?” Jeonghan asked, his voice the loudest. “You don’t have to beat around the bush Seungcheol. I know what you’re implying. God, you’re so ing paranoid.”

“And can you blame me? You’re not exactly denying it!”

“Because I shouldn’t have to! You should trust me! Why should I even have to tell you who I’m spending my time with?!”

“Because I’m your boyfriend!”

“Well sometimes I wish that you weren’t! You’re so ing annoying sometimes! Clinging on to me and demanding attention from me all the time just because you don’t have anyone else in your life to spend time with! It drives me ing crazy sometimes! There are times where I wish you would just leave me alone!”

Another moment passed. And another.

The silence was deafening. Both boys not saying anything now. One too busy trying to deal with his own anger. The other letting the words that had just been said replay over and over in his head as the meaning started to sink in.

More silence.

And then the sound of the front door being opened could be heard, only to be slammed shut a few seconds later. 

The sound of a vase breaking and a string of curses could be heard not long after. 

 

 

It was already passed midnight when Jeonghan had finally calmed down. 

He had been so stressed lately since he found out about some rival gang from another school that thought they could with s. It wasn’t anything he thought he’d have to worry about, since they mostly seemed like taunting words and empty threats. But then they started slashing tires and getting more physical. A few of them even tried picking up a fight with Minghao a couple of days ago, 3 to 1, but luckily the Chinese boy was more than capable of handling himself in a fight and got out of the situation with barely a scratch on him. And truth be told, Jeonghan wasn’t even worried about it after he had heard. He even laughed. But what did concern him was that he didn’t want things to escalate to the point where other people got involved, specifically innocent significant others that could be used for bait. That was the single most terrifying thought to Jeonghan and that’s why he had been conversing with Jennie Kim so much. Apparently the girl had connections with the gang even though they went to a different school, and she had promised to get a meeting set up between himself and the rival gang leader. He was hoping to straighten things out with the prick before things got out of hand…and if not then he was well prepared to over there with his boys and end the group before they even have the chance to lay a finger on anyone else. 

And that was all that was on Jeonghan’s mind the past few days. He had been so stressed over it and so caught up in it all that he prioritized it over going to school, eating, taking care of himself….and spending time with his beloved.

But after his fight with the love of his life, he realized that he was being an idiot. Yes he was frustrated, but Seungcheol didn’t deserve to be on the receiving end of his anger….Seungcheol never deserved anything bad. He was innocent and perfect and Jeonghan never meant a single word of what he had said. They were just words and he knew that he’d ed up with them.

He would have to do some serious apologizing if he wanted his baby back in his arms.

But being passed midnight, Jeonghan knew that Seungcheol was probably at home sleeping, so he decided that he would surprise his boyfriend tomorrow with an apology and some flowers…and hopefully a lot of kisses afterwards.

 

 

Jeonghan never got his chance to apologize because Seungcheol didn’t show up to school the next day. He figured that Seungcheol was probably too upset with him to show up, even though not showing up to school was very unlike that straight A student, so he thought that he would just wait until the next day to talk to his boyfriend.

Jeonghan tried to go with his day as usual, barely paying attention in class and skipping gym to avoid the flock of girls that tried to hit on him, but it was hard to act “normal” when his gang members would ask where Seungcheol was and then mentioning how his Cheollie was feeling rather down lately. Jeonghan was both upset and taken aback by the news because he can’t believe that he didn’t notice himself. 

Had he really been that ignorant of Seungcheol’s feelings?

Coming home wasn’t any easier for Jeonghan. His house was always empty, his mom and dad always being away on some business trip or another, but with Seungcheol not with him the place felt cold and foreign. Seungcheol’s personality made it inviting, his laugh made it lively, and his warmth made it home. And without any of that, Jeonghan felt like he was standing in some stranger’s place, feeling lost in the large house he had spent his entire life growing up in. 

He tried calling Seungcheol, in an attempt to feel somewhat normal, but the other didn’t answer. But even so, he let the voicemail play in his ear just to listen to Seungcheol’s silly little message before the tone beeped. He thought about trying again, but decided against it.

Instead, he tried going to bed. Sleep being the escape he needed from his ty life before he found Seungcheol…or rather, Seungcheol found him.

But of course, Karma wanted to be a with him and remind him of the package that was left on his bed the night before when Seungcheol had left.

He opened it carefully and found a black scarf inside.

“Han, why aren’t you wearing something warmer? It’s freezing outside today!”

“I’m fine Cheol. Besides, if I get too cold then I can just cuddle with you.”

“You’re silly. Next time you should wear your scarf.”

“I lost mine.”

His heart ached at the memory as he clutched the piece of clothing close to his chest.

Sleep didn’t find him that night.

 

 

The next day Seungcheol didn’t show up either. His fellow students and teachers didn’t know what was more shocking. The fact that gang leader Yoon Jeonghan showed up to school almost 3 days in a row, or the fact that straight A student Choi Seungcheol hadn’t shown up in 2. But Jeonghan paid no mind to the curious faces and he searched the school for his boyfriend, in hopes that maybe Seungcheol was simply avoiding him. But when he realized that Seungcheol wasn’t there, he started to grow more concerned. This wasn’t like Seungcheol at all and he was beginning to think the worst.

Was Seungcheol sick? Hurt? Had the rival gang targeted Seungcheol and attacked him?

Although thankfully those thought were quickly proven wrong when Joshua had told him that he received a text from Seungcheol asking for some class notes, Joshua being one of the only ones in the gang that still cared about his grades. Jeonghan demanded to speak to Seungcheol or to at least have Joshua ask why the other wasn’t responding to him, but Joshua told him that Seungcheol didn’t want to speak to him. Jeonghan wanted to pull his leader status but Joshua already told him that he didn’t care. Joshua, just like everyone else in the gang, cared for Seungcheol deeply and they would respect whatever the boy wished, and if that meant going against their own leader then so be it. And Jeonghan couldn’t blame him. However, being the best friend that he was, Joshua at least told Jeonghan that Seungcheol was at his own home, spending his days wrapped up in blankets and eating ice cream from the tub.

Jeonghan was thankful for the information and left school immediately in favor of going to Seungcheol’s house. He parked his motorbike on the driveway and rang the doorbell. And when no one answered, he knocked.

And knocked.

And then he was finally met with brown eyes and soft looking hair…only the eyes were cold with a hint of anger in them and there was a clear height difference between him and the taller individual.

This wasn’t Seungcheol.

This was Seunggil. Seungcheol’s older brother who was on Seoul University’s Taekwondo team and who happened to hate his guts for dating his younger brother.

“I…I can explain-“ But that was all Jeonghan was able to get out before a fist met his face, busting his lower lip.

“I knew you I hated you for a reason.” The older Choi hissed.

“Listen, Seunggil-“

“No you listen you little ! I never wanted you to date my little brother because I knew the type of guy that you were! But against my better judgment, I let Seungcheol do as he pleased because for the first time I saw that he was happy. And now he’s sitting in his room crying into his pillow because some worthless bag cheated on him and broke his heart. Now give me one good reason why I shouldn’t kill you right here, right now.”

“Because I love him and I never cheated on him!”

“That’s what a cheater would say.”

“It’s the truth, you !”

“The did you just call me?”

“SEUNGGIL STOP!” A voice said before the older could lunge. A few seconds later, Seungcheol came out wearing some pajamas and his eyes swollen red from crying. Jeonghan felt that same ache in his chest.

“Seungcheol, baby, please!” Jeonghan begged.

But Seungcheol just stared at him, biting his lip in hesitation, before pulling his older brother inside and closing the door.

Jeonghan’s heart shattered after that as he stood in front of the closed door. He felt like punching something in frustration, but he figured that the Choi’s wouldn’t appreciate a hole in their front door, and Seungcheol would be even more upset with him. So instead he got back on his bike and rode to his own house, feeling completely broken at the thought of Seungcheol not wanting to see him.

 

 

On the third day since the fight, Jeonghan skipped school, not bothering to show up if Seungcheol wouldn’t be there. He ignored all calls and texts, even the banging on his door followed by Woozi telling him to open the door and to “get his ing together.” s knew that Jeonghan was too consumed with his own feelings so Woozi and Hoshi took control of all gang related activities for a while, but Joshua made it clear that Jeonghan would need to come back soon….no one, especially their rivals, would take them seriously if they found out that the big and scary Yoon Jeonghan was at home moping over a broken heart. It was a sign of weakness and it would only result in bad news if Jeonghan didn’t get back into business. But for now, s let him have his moment as Jeonghan dealt with the emotional pain he felt over the uncertainty of his relationship status. He was starting to get really scared that he had lost his Cheollie for good and he was shaking in fear at the mere thought of not having Seungcheol by his side. It terrified him to his very core and those thoughts haunted him until he eventually succumbed to sleep.

 

 

It was on the fifth day since the argument that Jeonghan decided to try speaking with Seungcheol again. Even if Seungcheol turned him away again, he needed to show the other that he was desperate to fix things. To prove to his love that he didn’t want this distance between them. Because Jeonghan had dealt with loneliness before…he had lived a life with Seungcheol not in it and he could say with all his heart that the life he lived before he had met  Seungcheol was not one that he wished to go back to. Because back then, there was no one to send him good morning texts. There was no one that smiled at him with a brightness that rivaled that of the suns. There was no one that bothered asking if he was okay. No one that hugged him when he wasn’t. And most of all, there was no one that Jeonghan felt gave him a purpose to be better. 

 

Thinking back, Jeonghan was a bitter person before Seungcheol had crawled his way into his heart. He didn’t care much for anyone, not even his own family or his gang members. He didn’t care much for his parents that constantly abandoned him and thought it was okay as long as they left him with an ample amount of money to get by on. And he only cared slightly for his gang members, seeing them more as reliable pawns that he could easily replace if anything were to happen to them. Hell, he barely even cared for himself, just going through life day to day, looking for the next dangerous thing to get involved in just to give him some sort of thrill. He was reckless and angry and he couldn’t care less. But that all changed when a cute boy with the biggest eyes he had ever seen had bumped into him one day during school. Jeonghan had immediately recognized the boy as the new kid that everyone had been talking about. Cute, smart little goody too shoes that was overly polite and kind to everyone he met. Jeonghan didn’t say anything to the other as Seungcheol apologized profusely, and instead he just walked on by, not even giving one of his infamous glares that he gave to everyone else that walked his way. And he had thought that would be it. Until Seungcheol started noticing him more and more, saying hi to him with a cheery smile despite the loud whispers from peers telling him not to. And even though Jeonghan didn’t respond, Seungcheol was insistent on greeting the gang leader with a smile that could melt even the coldest of hearts…including Jeonghan's. This happened for a while until Jeonghan showed up to school with a scratch on his forehead and a bruise forming on his cheek. Most people paid no mind to it, figuring that the gang leader probably got into another fight, but Seungcheol looked hurt when he saw it. He skipped the good morning and dragged Jeonghan into the infirmary where he nursed the cut and applied ice to the bruise. Seungcheol had scolded Jeonghan about being more careful and Jeonghan had joked about “seeing the other guy.” But Seungcheol didn’t laugh. He told Jeonghan that he was worried and scared for him and Jeonghan could only stare at the other with wide eyes, never having heard those words before. And then Seungcheol had kissed his wound, and Jeonghan was pretty sure that was the moment he had fallen for the other. Jeonghan had become more open to Seungcheol’s kindness after that, even adopting some of it on his own. He started taking things more seriously and he had become more protective of those around him. His gang members had noticed but they never said a thing, simply enjoying the change in their leader and becoming immensely thankful towards the innocent high schooler that managed to break through to the Yoon Jeonghan.

Jeonghan was a happier person and he swore to protect his source of happiness with his life. Which was actually necessary when one day Jeonghan had walked by one ally to find some rough looking guys pinning Seungcheol to a wall. Jeonghan took one look at the scene, the tears falling from Seungcheol’s eyes, and he saw red. He would’ve killed them all if Seungcheol hadn't stopped him. And from then on, Jeonghan made his feelings clear. He told Seungcheol that he didn’t want to lose him and much to his surprise, Seungcheol had returned his feelings. They became official after that moment and from then on, Jeonghan would walk Seungcheol home and spend more time with him just to talk with him more. They shared secrets and deep thoughts and Jeonghan felt giddy after each conversation. He had fallen in love and learned how to care and Jeonghan promised himself to never lose the light in his life that was Choi Seungcheol.

 

That was why Jeonghan was so adamant on fixing his relationship now before it was too late. 5 days was too long for him to be away from his precious one and he didn’t think he could bare another day without Seungcheol in it. So Jeonghan had gotten dressed, actually taking care of his own personal hygiene since his argument with his baby, and then he put on his new scarf before popping into a mall to quickly buy a stuffed bunny to give as a piece offering to his Cheollie. 

After getting the stuffed toy, Jeonghan went straight to Seungcheol’s house. Much to his luck, it was Seungcheol’s mother who opened the door and not Seunggil…Jeonghan was mentally preparing for another punch to the face but thankfully it didn’t come to that. Unfortunately though, Seungcheol’s mother had told Jeonghan that he had just missed Seuncheol. Apparently the other had gone out and he didn’t tell anyone where he was going or when he’d be back. Jeonghan sighed but thanked Mrs. Choi for the information before trying to call his boyfriend. He called 3 times and Seungcheol didn’t answer once.

Feeling slightly disheartened, Jeonghan took his bike to a nearby park to walked around aimlessly for a while, kicking pebbles along the trail, before he eventually made his way back to his own house.

Upon reaching his house, however, he noticed something, or rather someone, on his doorsteps. The figure was wearing a white puffy jacket with the hood up, which made them look like a large marshmallow, along with some warm looking mittens on their hands. It didn’t take long for Jeonghan to figure out who said person was and that had the leather wearing gang leader scrambling to park his bike just to reach them.

“Baby?” Jeonghan greeted once he was in front of the other and he was met with wide glassy eyes that had tears threatening to spill over.

“Hannie?” Seungcheol said with a shaky voice.

“Baby, what happened? What’s wrong? Are you hurt? Why are you crying?” Jeonghan asked all at once as he reached to pull the other into a hug, Seungcheol immediately latching on.

“I’m s-sorry Han! I’m so sorry! I shouldn’t have yelled at you! I know I can be annoying but…but-“ Seungcheol tried to speak but most of his words after that were a jumbled mess as he cried and hiccuped through his sadness.

“Shhh, Cheollie…don’t cry. Come on, let’s get you inside okay? It’s cold out here.” Jeonghan said as he led the other inside.

But the had only made it as far as the front entry way before Seungcheol leaned into Jeonghan’s chest a cried some more.

“You must hate me.” Seungcheol mumbled and that’s when Jeonghan pushed him away.

“What are you saying? I could never hate you!”

“But-“

“No Seungcheol. I don’t even know why you’re apologizing when it was my up.”

“But Hannie-“

“I let you think that I was cheating on you. I made you doubt my feelings and I’m so sorry for that. I was an idiot and this is all my fault. So baby please! Please stop blaming yourself. You did nothing wrong.” Jeonghan said as he cupped Seungcheol’s cheeks.

“But I ignored you for all that time.” Seungcheol said, looking down guiltily.

“And I probably deserved that.” Jeonghan chuckled humorlessly. “Baby…Cheollie, look at me. I…Nothing I said that day was true. You know that right? I love spending time with you and you could never be annoying to me. I was just frustrated and I said some things that I didn’t mean. I’m so sorry baby. Please, will you forgive me?”

Seungcheol just nodded. “I already forgave you a couple of days ago. I was just giving you some space because I thought that’s what you wanted.”

“Never. Always remember that I’m an idiot that loves spending time with you, okay?”

“Okay.” Seungcheol said, a smile forming on his face for the first time that day and Jeonghan felt like he could finally breathe after seeing it.

“Now come on, let’s go upstairs and watch one of your favorite movies.” Jeonghan suggested and Seungcheol perked up at the suggestion, running up the stairs before Jeonghan could even take off his shoes. Jeonghan just laughed to himself, before sending a quick text to his friends not to bother him for the rest of the day and sending one to Mrs. Choi, letting her know where her son was. After that, Jeonghan had made some popcorn and then grabbed a few more items before meeting Seungcheol up in his room.

The cuddled together on the bed as they watched Moana, Jeonghan sneaking in a few kisses all over Seungcheol’s face throughout the movie while Seungcheol sang along to all the songs. 

They played another movie after Moana was done, but it was more for background noise as Seungcheol and Jeonghan paid more attention to each other. Seungcheol drawing lazy patterns on Jeonghan’s chest while Jeonghan buried his face into Seungcheol’s soft dark brown locks of hair. It was after a while when Seungcheol broke the silence.

“I’m sorry for doubting you.”

“I told you, you have nothing to be sorry for….although, can I ask where you got that crazy idea from?”

“Mingyu told me that you were spending more time with Jennie and how he thought she had a crush on you.”

“Figures…I’m gonna stab Mingyu.” Jeonghan said, only half joking.

“Don’t hurt Mingyu.” Seungcheol said, pulling away slightly to give Jeonghan a scolding look, although on him, it looked more like an adorable angry pout.

“Okay, I won’t. If that’s what my baby wants.” Jeonghan agreed with a chuckle.

“Hannie…why were you spending so much time with her?”

“It’s some gang related stuff. Nothing to be worried about.” Jeonghan said simply, leaving it at that because he’d rather not have Seungcheol involved with anything related to his gang activities. Seungcheol was too pure for any of that and Jeonghan wanted to savor his innocence for as long as possible.

“Okay…just be careful okay? I love you and I don’t want you getting hurt.”

“I love you too baby.” Jeonghan said. “Thanks for caring about me.”

“You don’t need to thank me for that Hannie.”

“Maybe…but I should thank you for the scarf. It really kept me warm today.” Jeonghan mentioned and Seungcheol’s entire face lit up at the mention of the scarf.

“You really liked it?”

“Of course I did. I have the most thoughtful boyfriend ever.” Jeonghan said, planting a light peck to Seungcheol’s nose, causing the other to giggle. “Oh, and that reminds me, I got you something too.”

“Really?”

“Yup!” Jeonghan said before getting off of the bed to grab the gift he’d bought.

He handed the bag to Seungcheol and the other screeched from excitement.

“It’s a bunny! Thank you so much Han!” Seungcheol said before he practically tackled the other into a hug, both of them falling onto the bed.

The hugged and Seungcheol placed kisses all over Jeonghan’s face, both of them giggling in between each kiss. And they did that for a while before Jeonghan cupped Seungcheol’s cheeks and started a long deep kiss, both of them sighing in bliss as they lost themselves in the feeling of warmth and love that only came when they were together.

In that moment, with Seungcheol in his arms, everything was perfect and Jeonghan could not have been happier.

 


A/N: AHHHH So I'm not really used to writting oneshots and I'm kinda nervous about how it turned out?? Please let me know if you guys liked this. Some feedback would really be appreciated. (Maybe I could try writing more??)

And yeah, thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope you all are having a wonderful day!! Bye!