secrets

scuffed

Tzuyu looked up from her book as Nayeon staggered into their room, her eyebrows raised. “You’re back? Already?”

 

“Yes,” Nayeon hissed, collapsing beside Tzuyu on the couch. Jihyo and Dahyun weren’t present, which meant they had been called out to have the talk, as well. Nayeon was fuming – and she was also shocked, too. She had been more shocked this whole week than she had been in her whole life. She glanced towards Tzuyu, who seemed indifferent, turning her attention back to her book. “Did they tell you the same thing this morning?”

 

“If you’re talking about how they informed me that we basically have to beat the other team no matter what, then yes,” Tzuyu replied, not looking up at Nayeon the whole time. Her expression was calm and composed, and her eyes were blank. The only thing that gave away how conflicted she was about the whole situation was the very slight trembling of her fingers, only visible as she turned the pages of her book. Nayeon had known Tzuyu since she was a little girl. She knew how Tzuyu’s fingers would tremble whenever she was extremely upset. She said nothing, instead silently resting her hand on Tzuyu’s thigh.

 

Not too long after that did Dahyun and Jihyo burst into the room, panting. Dahyun’s face was bright red – not with embarrassment, but with anger – and Jihyo’s hands were clenched. “Are you kidding me?” Jihyo yelled, making Nayeon wince. (The girl was known as the human mic among them for good reason; even when whispering, her voice was loud.) “They expect us to do that, of all things?”

 

Dahyun slid to the ground, her flushed face turning into a pale one. “What are we going to do,” she whispered. “What are we going to do what are we going to do WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO. We can’t...we can’t do that!”

 

“Not unless we want to throw away all our progress and quite possibly our own lives,” Tzuyu said. Just like the day before, her voice was flat. Anyone else would have thought she had come to terms with their situation, but Nayeon knew better, because Tzuyu’s fingers were still trembling. Jihyo and Dahyun most likely noticed as well, as they didn’t shout at her. They remained silent, glaring at their feet.

 

However, unlike Tzuyu and the others, Nayeon had come to terms with the situation. She understood it well. Very well. “Tzuyu’s right. We’re going to do it. We’re going to win, and we’re going to advance. We can’t risk everything just for relationships we can build up again.” Her voice was eerily cold. She didn’t like it.

 

“Nayeon, relationships aren’t that easy to build up,” Jihyo said. Her voice was cold, too. That meant she had accepted it. Dahyun and Tzuyu said nothing. Their expressions were colder than Nayeon and Jihyo’s voices. They had all built a wall around their hearts, all to get what they wanted to achieve.

 

Nayeon thought it was terrible. She did it quickly, she taught the other girls how to do it quickly, but she thought it was terrible. Then again, she had to fight for so many things. The sports industry was not an easy industry to live in, and if Mina’s team couldn’t understand it, they lost everything.

 

(Nayeon didn’t know that in reality, she and her team had really lost.)

 

“Im Nayeon, right?”

 

A man’s voice. Nayeon looked up from her phone, straightening upon seeing a tall man walk towards her. “Yes, sir.”

 

“I’m the chairman of the Seoul Cheerleading Organization,” the man said, holding out his hand. Nayeon shook it enthusiastically, her heart racing with euphoria. This was the man who knew it all. This was the man who determined their fates. This man was practically god for Nayeon. “S-sir! It’s an honor meeting you!”

 

The man didn’t waste any time, that was for sure. In the matter of two seconds, his face and voice became grim. “Nayeon, I’m aware of how successful you and your team are. And I have some news for you, some news that you may be furious over. I’m aware that you’re close to Myoui Mina’s team, is that correct?”

 

“Yes, sir.” Nayeon had a sinking feeling. This was not going to end well. (The exact words she had told Mina not long ago.)

 

“And you have a match with them, coming up in a week and a half?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

The man sighed, rubbing his temples. “I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry, is all for now. But a simple apology won’t be enough.”

 

“Sir, what’s going on?” Nayeon couldn’t hide the tremble in her voice. Something was definitely wrong, and she knew that when she walked back home, she would be fighting back tears. Maybe she’d even cry.

 

The man sighed again, this time more heavily. He managed a weary smile towards Nayeon. “You see, Nayeon, your team has reached the level of international attention. The stakes have been raised for you. Your next match is going to be judged very harshly, and the judges will be looking at every single little detail. I’m sure this isn’t a surprise for you, but it’s different this time. These judges are from abroad. From Europe and America. If your team passes their criteria, you will go on to rehearse and study in one of the world’s most prestigious schools, made especially for young women like you. Cheerleaders. You’ll get proper education and you’ll also get good performance tips by professionals who others dream of being taught by. You’ve already had the experience with Korean professionals, but these are foreign professionals. You all will receive millions of dollars in scholarships, and extra money for your families, as well. You’ll perform in bigger competitions, all of them abroad. You’ll be the real professionals, role models for young girls everywhere. I know you all are already considered professionals, but...this is the real deal.”

 

Already, the rewards seemed larger than life to Nayeon. She would kill for things like those. Especially the money, which could go to her relatives, for hospital bills and for medicine. They could splurge. Her mother and father could buy anything they wanted. She could buy a proper doghouse for her dog. But then, Mina popped into her mind. “Sir, if you don’t mind me asking...what will happen to the other team?”

 

“I was waiting for you to ask.” The man’s smile became wearier. “The losing team, whichever it is...they will be sent to their origins. In other words, all their progress will be erased and they will be sent to the starting line. They’ll have to work up from scratch. This could happen to your team, if you lose. But truth be told...” He leaned in, his voice lowered. “Many of my fellow board directors agreed this should only be told to your team, because we all believe your team will win. Myoui Mina’s team, they’re experienced and good...but they’re not as strong as your team.”

 

“You’re saying they’re weak, then.” Nayeon’s voice was trembling even harder. This man was telling her that she would get the life of her dreams, but she’d have to sacrifice her friends. She’d have to sacrifice the one girl that meant the most to her. The man opened his mouth, but she held one finger up. “May I go now, sir? I’ll take this and think about it. I just need some time to...process it.”

 

She stalked away, not letting the man answer. He didn’t know she had already made her decision. The wall around her heart had been built. She needed this. Her team needed this. It was what they were aiming for all this time, and she refused to throw her life away for something that didn’t even come close to equaling this.

 

Her team would win. They would win.