merge

scuffed

“This isn’t gonna end well.”

 

Heavy breathing filled the dim room. A thump broke through the sounds of panting, echoing through the room and perhaps the hallway, as well. Abrupt silence.

 

“There’s no one there.” Nayeon turned her attention to Mina, who was cornered by Nayeon, back up against the wall. Her shirt was slowly starting to slip down her right shoulder, revealing a thin black bra strap. Her hair was messy, just the way Nayeon liked it, and a faint shade of red was spreading across her face. Her chest rose up and down rapidly. “It’s nine o’clock. All of them are sleeping.”

 

“True,” Nayeon admitted, diving in again. She smashed her lips into Mina’s, her hand sliding down Mina’s arm. A hand – Mina’s hand – grabbed her waist, pulling her closer to the other girl.

 

It must’ve been the nth time, but Nayeon found herself wondering once more. How did they get to...to this? To making out in the locker room at night, with the door open and the potential risk of being discovered? To taking all and any opportunity to be with each other? They went from being rivals, to acquaintances, to friends, to good friends, to this. What were they now? Friends with benefits, or were they actually dating?

 

It didn’t matter. What did matter was the sweet taste of Mina’s lips, and her fingers tangling themselves in Nayeon’s hair. What did matter were the secret glances they exchanged while practicing, the soft smiles they’d give each other during competitions. The encouraging yells and the sympathetic, reassuring whispers.

 

It didn’t matter what they were. What did matter was Nayeon and Mina, Mina and Nayeon. How they were now. The present. The moment they were currently living in.

 

That was what mattered, at least to Nayeon, and she had no doubt it mattered to Mina, too.