༺ ❉ ༻

The Swan Prince
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They departed the second they finished what was a mixture of elements from breakfast and lunch. The suddenness of it all left Jungkook feeling drained and jagged. Maybe next time they could wait to tidy the house up some.

 

Upon entering through the castle's front gates, Jungkook glanced up to find Hoseok at the head of the perfectly structured staircase. A rich brown coat hugged his lithe upper body. Two gold patches of frosted leaves angled over either side of his padded shoulders. At his ear was an accessory that draped around his earlobe like an icicle caught in the stages between melting and reforming. But what caught Jungkook's attention the most was the gauze on Hoseok's hand. While slightly hidden from view, it showed that something serious had happened to warrant proper bandaging.

 

"Glad you could make it, Taehyung."

 

Jungkook stared as Hoseok came to a stand before him.

 

"And nice of you to have accompanied us. Jungkook."

 

Jungkook nodded but didn't know whether to return Hoseok's outstretched hand with a handshake or a squeeze to the wrist. He opted to bow instead. Caught off guard, Hoseok fumbled to follow suit.

 

Taehyung giggled. Both men's heads snapped up. A splash of color crept over their bodies. Taehyung's eyes landed on Jungkook's. The ball of saliva in Jungkook's throat grew larger. His heart stammered. Of the only other person he could have looked at, Taehyung had chosen to look at him.

 

A low cough cut through the tumultuous cycle of thoughts in Jungkook's mind. He glanced up to find Hoseok towering over him, a faint smile embracing either corner of his lips. Jungkook hurriedly stood up. Taehyung and Hoseok chuckled as Jungkook nearly stumbled over his own two feet. Jungkook's heart sunk. It was silly of him to think he could share a unique moment with Taehyung while in the presence of Hoseok.

 

"If you'll follow me." Hoseok gestured towards the horses off to his side. "A tour of the castle is in place, but, first, let me show you two to the palace grounds where we will soon be having our game of QuaQuash."

 

Jungkook nudged Taehyung in the side as they ambled towards the side of the castle where two tall men stood by either end of an iron entrance.

 

"Hope you don't mind my selection," Hoseok said as he came to stand before a horse Jungkook thought appealed more to the title of god than to that of a horse.

 

Braided into the creature's long, white mane was thin strips of brightly colored yarn. A glossy, smooth coat similar in color to the strawberry blond highlights found in Taehyung's voluminous hair covered the horse's muscled body. Two black swaths provided a stark contrast to the piercing white intensity of the horse's pupils. Everything about the horse whispered to the call of gentle winds and puffed out clouds; everything but the jagged outer shell that circled around its neck and traversed up to about mid-leg. Tiny patches of moss lay scattered around the shell's darkest crevices.

 

Jungkook came to a slow before a horse whose rump was facing him. The horse didn't bother to look up from munching on the grass. Jungkook took a deep breath in. He didn't know what to do and he definitely didn't know who to ask for help. Everyone else was busy boarding a horse with as much grace and reverence as Hoseok.

 

He felt his heart sink. Would he have to be the fool who had to walk because he didn't know how to ride a horse?

 

Just as Jungkook reached out to lay his fingertips on the horse, a soft tap on his shoulder blade paused him in his tracks. He glanced over his shoulder.

 

"She's ours." Taehyung grinned. "But, we shouldn't do that. If you touch a horse from behind, they'll frighten. Here. I'll help you."

 

Taehyung pulled Jungkook over to the front. The horse glanced at the pair from the corner of her eye. "Slow and steady." Taehyung drew Jungkook's hand up to her side.

 

The horse snorted but otherwise, was left unbothered.

 

Taehyung flashed Jungkook a grin. "See. Not too bad, huh?"

 

Taehyung held Jungkook's hand as Jungkook eased his leg over the horse's large body. As he angled his torso to take a seat, his left leg momentarily moved away from the feel of the horse. Jungkook reached out to grip the horse's thick mane but Taehyung squeezed his fingers in time to reassure him that, if anything, he would be here to hold onto.

 

Jungkook thanked him with a nod. He could feel the heat in his stomach jetting out over his veins.

 

"Are you two ready?" Hoseok asked. He came to a stop beside them. The sun caught on his jacket. The golden flowers lit up. Jungkook noticed how instead of drawing attention to his shoulders, the flare of light served to draw attention to his well-proportioned upper body. Jungkook glanced at his hands. Hoseok had long, thin fingers with well-manicured nails. Uncle had said the state of a man's hands didn't matter as long as you knew what to do with them.

 

Taehyung shook his head as he propelled himself onto the horse. A soft grunt flew into Jungkook's ear. A burst of heat exploded over his stomach. He scratched at his ears to redirect the reason for the change of color in his skin.

 

Hoseok drew his eyes into slits. "If you need another horse, let me know." A pause before saying Taehyung's name.

 

As the herd took off towards their destination, Jungkook turned around to mouth the word QuaQuash before shrugging his shoulders. He struggled to uphold the thin gap between them.

 

Eyes alight, Taehyung immediately jumped into an explanation. His body bumped into Jungkook's backside. Jungkook forced himself to not react.

 

"QuaQuash is a game of strategy. Players are divided into two teams of three or more people each. Maximum of 10 people. Each team will choose one player to start the game. While the other two teammates wait below, the chosen player will race to the top of a set of crystallized steps. At the top is a ball, which once removed from its pedestal, will queue the game to begin. The stairs disappear and it's game on.

 

The rest is kind of hard to explain but basically, with the help of a Lilet, you can create your own glass steps. The goal is to have the ball reach the opposing team's side first. Apart from predicting where players will step, you also have to remember to create steps for yourself so you don't fall."

 

The color in Jungkook's face drained. Taehyung laughed. Hoseok drew his attention away from the gardener at his side to watch the pair from afar.

 

Taehyung gripped Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook blushed. Hoseok looked away with a quieted huff, taking the time to trail his eyes over the trimmed grass on their way back to the short man at his side.

 

"Don't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter