Shattered Trust

What's broken can be fixed

A/N: Hello reader! I apologise for the extremely late update, I've been really busy with work and such lately but anyway, here's another chapter. Enjoy~


 

In the midst of their bonding, both Yongsun and Byulyi had forgotten what had brought them together in the first place. When Byulyi arrived at school, she immediately sensed a change in the air. The teachers were more jittery than usual and the classes were strangely quiet. She felt an impending sense of doom as she walked through the school, unsure if it was just her imagination or people were actually giving her curious glances as she went past.

 

"Hey, what's going on?" Byulyi immediately questioned her friends as soon as she saw them. While she herself never really cared for the rumours that floated around, they were more invested in knowing the in and outs of what happens around school.

 

"Hey is it true?" exclaimed Wheein, her eyes shining eagerly.

 

"Is what true?"

 

"Someone broke that ugly looking piece of ornament the principal likes, and apparently you and Yongsun were seen near it last while it was intact," Hyejin butts in, knowing Wheein was too excited to elaborate at the moment.

 

Byulyi froze as she heard Hyejin's words. She mentally berated herself for being too absorbed in Yongsun to have been more aware of her surroundings. Before she could ask Wheein and Hyejin for more details, the principal's voice echoed throughout the walls of the school.

 

"Moon Byulyi and Kim Yongsun to the principal's office now."

 

Byulyi gulped as she made her way there, passing through dozens of other students huddling around whispering. The principal hadn't sounded angry, but she knew better than to get her hopes up of evading this incident. She took a deep breath before knocking. Yongsun was already inside, but she didn't turn when Byulyi came in.

 

"I assume the both of you have heard the rumours so I'll cut to the chase. Who did it?" he demanded. The principal stared at them from behind his large wooden desk, his beady eyes peering from behind a pair of dark framed glasses.

 

Neither of them answered.

 

The principal sighed at the silence and leaned forward in his seat, resting his shaven chin upon his clasped hands. "While I admire your strong will, this is not the time to be expressing it. If you admit it now, I'm willing to let you off on a lighter punishment. If however, you decide not to own up and I find out about it later, I won't be so lenient. And trust me, I will find out," he continued, a hint of menace to his words.

 

Byulyi's eyes flickered towards Yongsun, who was standing rigidly with her eyes fixed on a spot and a blank expression on her face. The Yongsun she was so used to seeing was nothing like the person who was standing next to her, and she didn't like it. She didn't hesitate as she mustered up all her courage to look at the principal right in the eyes.

 

"I did it."

 

As soon as the words left , she felt Yongsun stiffen next to her, but she kept her eyes forward. The principal didn't immediately respond to her confession. Instead, he remained in his seat with his eyes locked on Byulyi, and she felt as if he was boring holes into her. His gaze didn't falter nor shift, but she was determined not to crack under the pressure. Moments later, the principal finally appeared to accept her confession.

 

"I see. Moon Byulyi, you are to complete an hour of community service everyday after school. Failure to do so will result in a greater punishment," he ordered sternly.

 

Byulyi nodded and internally breathed a sigh of relief when both herself and Yongsun were dismissed. Neither of them exchanged words or contact with each other as they made their way back to their respective classrooms in a tense silence. Just before they parted, Yongsun suddenly turned to Byulyi with an expression of mixed emotions on her face. Yongsun's eyes were narrowed and she hesitated before finally uttering, "come to the Student Council room during lunch." With that, she swiftly her heel without waiting for a reply.

 

Byulyi watched her go with confusion etched on her face. A part of her wanted to stop Yongsun there and then to ask for an explanation, but she knew she would have to wait until lunch for her curiosity to be satisfied. A couple dozen pairs of questioning eyes immediately swivelled towards her as she entered her classroom. Ignoring the stares, Byulyi headed straight for her seat with her jaw set in a tight line, and sat down promptly without a word of explanation to anyone in the room.

 

Time seemed to drag on and on. Byulyi tapped her foot impatiently as she eyed the clock on the wall behind the teacher, willing it to go faster. The second hand appeared to mock her as it kept ticking along at its own pace, moving too slowly for her liking. When the bell finally rang, she instantly rushed out.

 

The Student Council room was empty when Byulyi arrived. She had only ever been inside once or twice, preferring instead to steal glances of Yongsun from outside as she passed by. It was strange for Byulyi to see the room so empty, and she took the opportunity to look around curiously. Spotting a notice board on the side, she went over for a closer look. Pinned to the board were various posters of upcoming school events, important notices, and photos of Student Council members. Byulyi bent down, closely examining the photos for a certain individual. As her gaze wandered over the photos, the door suddenly opened. Byulyi immediately stood up straight, startled at the sudden motion, before relaxing upon seeing Yongsun.

 

"Oh gosh, it's you. You scared me haha..." Byulyi's voice trailed off when she saw the unreadable expression on Yongsun's face. "Umm..." she spoke again, "if this is about me confessing to breaking the vase, don't worry about it. I had my reasons as to why I did it."

 

Yongsun's eyebrows furrowed, "So you're basically saying you admitted to breaking that stupid vase out of your own free will? I'm sorry but that's quite difficult to believe, what's your motive?"

 

"Yes I did it out of my own free will, why is that so hard to believe?" scowled Byulyi, she felt her anger bubble up at being accused of having ulterior motives.

 

"Because people in life aren't good-hearted like that! People always do things that are for their own personal gain! So what is it that you want with me?" Yongsun demanded.

 

"Nothing! I don't want anything from you! I was just trying to protect you dammit. Unlike you, I don't have a reputation to keep so I can admit to doing something like that without as severe consequences compared to if you had said you did it!" snarled Byulyi in response. Without waiting for Yongsun to say anything in return, she stormed off.

 

On her way back to her classroom, she bumped into Wheein and Hyejin. "Whoa what's up with that face?" Hyejin asked. Byulyi merely shook her head before striding past them. Wheein and Hyejin exchanged glances, it was rare to see Byulyi angry since she usually refrains herself from investing emotionally into things.

 

"Do you reckon it's got something to do with Yongsun and that vase?" said Wheein.

 

"Oh of course my dear Watson. I doubt a broken vase would make her angry, so it's definitely got to do with Yongsun. I just wonder what..." replied Hyejin thoughtfully, holding her hand up to her eye as if she was holding a magnifying glass.