Shattered Glass

What's broken can be fixed

Within the stretch of a beige coloured corridor was a medium sized vase standing insignificantly next to a wide polished wooden door. The vase was adorned with detailed flowery patterns, but the colour scheme was disastrous. Why would such a vase be put on display? That was the question that ran through everyone's minds whenever they walked past, although no one dared to say it out loud for fear of the principal's wrath. After all, it was his favourite vase, apparently passed down to him by his great-grandmother.

 

On this particular day after school, two students were walking along this particular corridor. At one end of the corridor was a student who held a notebook in her hand, swinging it lightly as she walked. She walked confidently, striding forward purposefully yet gracefully. This was none other than the Student Council President, Kim Yongsun. The student at the other end had her earphones in, and was bobbing her head along to her music. Her steps lacked the same determination Yongsun's had, instead exuding a calm and collected aura.

 

As soon as she turned into the corridor, Moon Byulyi immediately saw Yongsun. She often found her eyes being drawn towards the President, even amongst large crowds. Byulyi didn't fret about it though, she knew many others were drawn to Yongsun as well, and naturally as the Student Council President one had to have a certain degree of charisma. That along with her stunning features and an impeccable academic record made her one of the most – if not the most – sought out person in their entire school.

 

As Yongsun neared the hideous vase, an unidentified insect suddenly launched itself at her. Terrified, she let out a high-pitched scream as her arms flailed around in an attempt to scare the bug away. It was then when the glass shattered. Byulyi's look of amusement at the scene turned into a look of shock and horror as she watched the principal's beloved vase fall to the floor, the sound of it smashing into smithereens piercing through the air. It was so loud she heard it even through her music. Time seemed to stop. Both Yongsun and Byulyi stared frozen at the broken shards that now scattered the floor. Yongsun was the first to snap out of it, jolting upon hearing voices and rapidly sounding footsteps. She immediately made a beeline for Byulyi, a fire of determination in her eyes. Byulyi was so startled she didn't resist as Yongsun pulled her into a cleaning closet nearby.

 

The cupboard was cramped. Filled with brooms, mops and other cleaning supplies, there was hardly any space for two people inside. There was a faint smell of cleaning products, but all Byulyi's nose could focus on was the flowery fragrance of Yongsun. As she breathed in her scent, her eyes took in the flawless features of the other's appearance. She found herself staring in admiration as Yongsun listened intently at the door – one doesn't often get this opportunity to see the President up so close. Her chocolate coloured eyes encapsulated the strong will she was known for, and her signature mole was proudly on display. The wide smile that Yongsun usually wore around school was currently replaced by a grimace, reflecting her inner turmoil of the situation.

 

Byulyi heard two distinct muffled voices, which grew in both volume and pitch as they drew nearer. Then, the voices suddenly became hushed, and she could make out the grating sound of glass scraping against the floor before the corridor finally fell quiet. She felt Yongsun tense as the silence stretched out and neither of them dared to breathe. Without warning, she was then hurriedly yanked out of the cupboard by a firm yet gentle grip, and dragged far away from the scene. She followed without a complaint, and soon found herself in the student council office, standing awkwardly at the side of the room while Yongsun shut the door firmly. Byulyi unintentionally flinched when Yongsun turned towards her with an intense look in her eyes, she felt like a rabbit that was being hunted by a tiger, and she shifted her feet nervously. She mentally prepared herself for whatever wrath that was to come upon her.

 

"Please don't tell anyone what you saw," said Yongsun evenly, her expression unreadable.

 

"Sorry what?" Her request had caught Byulyi off-guard.

 

Yongsun's brow furrowed slightly before repeating her request, "About the vase... please don't tell anyone."

 

"Oh right! Umm I mean I think it was cracked anyway, besides I'm pretty sure only one person in this school would miss it," Byulyi attempted to reassure her. She cracked a small grin in the hope of diffusing the tension in the room.

 

Yongsun stared blankly in response, and Byulyi felt as if her eyes were looking into her soul. After what felt like an eternity, the poker face present on Yongsun's face suddenly disappeared, replaced by a mixture of emotions. She sighed heavily as she sank into a chair with her head in her hands.

 

Byulyi remained standing, a thoughtful look on her face as her perceptive eyes remained fixated on the girl. From her observations, she knew that Yongsun gave it her all in everything she did, her achievements attained not only through talent but hard work as well. She did everything with a smile on her face, and wasn't afraid of owning up to her mistakes, being brutally honest with herself and those around her. However, even though Yongsun was always seen with a bright and cheerful personality, Byulyi couldn't help but sense that sometimes it was all a façade. She completely understood her reasons for doing so though, knowing how important people's images were within society, especially for someone in a position of authority like Yongsun.

 

Yongsun unexpectedly shot up from her seat, a wide grin plastered on her face. "Sorry you had to see that," she apologised, "let me treat you to some food in apology."

 

Byulyi raised an eyebrow questioningly at her sudden change in demeanour, knowing full well that Yongsun was putting up a brave front. Nevertheless, she nodded, smiling in response.

 

The two of them were soon seated tteokbokki restaurant with two large steaming plates in front of them. Byulyi had noted that the owner had enthusiastically welcomed Yongsun back, who then gave a sheepish nod when she had teased the President on how frequently she visited. Yongsun dug in hungrily, appearing to inhale her meal, eating as if she hadn't had any food in aeons. Smacking her lips in satisfaction, she turned her gaze to Byulyi, who was eating at a much regular pace.

 

"So, tell me about yourself."

 

"Me? There's not much to tell to be honest," Byulyi mumbled quietly through a mouthful of food.

 

Yongsun's lips quirked disbelievingly, "Oh really? I've heard quite a bit about you though."

 

"Please enlighten me."

 

"Ace of the dance club, a reliable all-rounded sports person, excels at maths despite not paying much attention in class, popular amongst ladies and men alike..." listed Yongsun, counting her fingers with each point she made, "you've even got a cool nickname Moonstar."

 

"Why did you even ask when you seem to know so much about me already?" snorted Byulyi. Despite her nonchalant expression, she felt warm inside at the thought of Yongsun noticing all these things about her. Sure they were things that others knew as well, spread around by rumours and gossip alike, but the fact that she remembered them made her feel happy.

 

"Because I find you interesting," Yongsun replied easily, leaning forward with a genuine grin.

 

Byulyi's eyes twinkled mischievously as she leaned forward in response, their faces centimetres away. "That's not how you do greasy, this is," she whispered as she suggestively the bottom Yongsun's chin before winking at her. She laughed as the girl's face turned into a tomato, jerking away with a gasp of surprise.

 

"Y-you're even worse than what the rumours say!" Yongsun managed to stutter out, taking deep breaths to calm her palpitating heart.

 

Byulyi chortled at her reaction, no one else had been so flustered when she went greasy on them. "Looks like I've found my new source of fun," she said gleefully.

 

"What have I started..." Yongsun lamented.

 

"Did you seriously just invite me out to see how greasy I was?"

 

"Nope, I was hungry and you just happened to be there," Yongsun dead-panned.

 

Byulyi feigned hurt, wailing in silence dramatically, "Why must you be so cruel!" Her hysterics appeared to have flipped a switch within Yongsun, whose laughter came out in high-pitched squeaks with her hands clapping together like a seal. Byulyi was shocked for a moment. This was the first time she had seen the President so expressive, relaxed and happy. Her laughter was contagious, and she soon found herself giggling along.

 

"You're pretty when you laugh like that," grinned Byulyi.

 

"Yah Moon Byulyi!" Yongsun shouted as her cheeks flushed, her voice going an octave higher in embarrassment.

 

"Shh you're distracting other people from their tteokbokki," snickered Byulyi, clearly enjoying herself. Yongsun's face turned even redder when she realised her outburst had indeed caused several other customers to glance in their direction.

 

"Hurry up and finish your food," scowled Yongsun, unable to think of anything better to say in response.

 

After bidding farewell to the kind store owner, the two of them wandered around bickering and joking about, enjoying each other's company. It had been a long time since Yongsun had been able to laugh so freely, and what started off as an attempt to keep Byulyi's mouth shut had turned into a jovial hangout. Time passed by quickly – too quickly for their liking – and soon, they had to depart for their respective homes.

 

As Byulyi walked home that night, there was a skip in her step and a broad smile on her face. She would have never thought herself and Kim Yongsun would ever become friends, and she found herself excited for the following school day, yearning to spend more time with each other. Things however would not go as smoothly as Byulyi hoped...