Chapter 3

Family of Three
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting beside Chinsun on the sofa across the TV, Chanyeol watched the Sunday morning cartoon. They were funny, really, in his free time, sometimes he watched it too because they could make him and Yifan laughed at the silliness it showed. Yet this time, he couldn’t stretch his lips to laugh, he couldn't even follow the story because his attention was on Chinsun whose mind was obviously also not on the cartoon. The little girl barely reacted to anything as she looked at the TV, her gaze unwavering but also unfocused. It worried Chanyeol.

“Chinsun-ah…” He called softly and the girl turned her head to look at him. Again, that look was there on Chinsun’s face, the solemn look which told that she had seen enough. Awkwardly, Chanyeol didn't know if his approach was right but he had to ask anyway. “Why did you come here?”

His recent call to the police, informed him that the police couldn't deal directly on that case. The officer said that the girl was probably running away from her home if she refused to tell him about her family and where she lived. The only thing they could help Chanyeol was suggesting him to coax the girl until she wanted to go back to home or sent her to troubled child center. He couldn't bring himself to do the latter option, so he did the first.

For a long while, Chanyeol waited for Chinsun to answer. He wanted to try to approach the girl, wanted to help her, but if she didn't tell her anything, he couldn't do anything. Chanyeol’s determination almost wilted when the girl finally told him. “I don't want to be home.”

The man nodded, acknowledging that the girl indeed ran away from home. He unsurely placed his hand on top of her small hands which rested on the pillow on her lap. He took the remote from her weak grip and turned the TV off in his attempt to not distract her. He too also moved onto the floor in front of her, maybe that way she wouldn't be intimidated by his towering presence.

Meeting his worried glance, Chinsun clenched her hands creating small fists to be scooped by Chanyeol’s big gentle hands. And as if it unlocked the door to her heart, words started pouring out of her and so did her tears making sad lines down her puffy cheeks.

 

Her family was, odd. The girl told him after trying hard to find the right word. Odd might not be the precise word, but Chanyeol was aware that he was talking with little girl, an elementary school student with limited amount of vocabularies to exactly describe the situation on her tiny hand. So Chanyeol waited for her to tell everything before processing them.

Chinsun’s family consisted of father, mother and her. Just the three of them living together in a decent sized home in a good neighborhood. And the girl had been living a good life, she dubbed when she started. Her parents provided everything she needed. School, comfortable and cute clothes, adorable hair accessories, delicious meal, and plenty pocket money. If one saw that, those should be enough for seven years old girl, physically.

Chinsun loved her parents, she really did. She had told him that numerous times during her telling as if she was trying to console herself and at the same time convincing Chanyeol that her parents weren't bad. Her parents were just confused and not ready, she told him. One statement which told Chanyeol that the girl in front of him was forced to mature before the time.

 

“I don't know what to do with her.” She heard her mother talked to her father one late night in the dining room as she hid behind the slightly ajar door of her bedroom not far from where her parents were at. She was about to go to the bathroom when her parent's voice reached her. They thought that she was asleep, she had been, but they didn't know that she was then woken up.

A sigh was heard and Chinsun knew that it was her father from the deep and exasperated tiredness. “I know that we weren't ready at that time. But, we've been doing our best. We’re doing well.”

“But still, this is all wrong.” Her mother said again, sobbing quietly as if what she had been buried inside her mind  started to spill over. “It's not supposed to be like this.”

The little girl silently listened to her parents, with both unaware of her listening to their love-numbing talk. She knew that her parents were different than her friends’ parents, and she wanted to believe that they were like other parents who love and care for their children, even in their own unique way. Yet, the conversation she heard just then, shattered the thin fragile root of her believe. Her birth into the family was welcomed by her family, but unwanted by her own parents.

 

“..I'm sad because of it. But I don't tell them. I don't want to upset them. I think if I am being a good girl, they will, I hope they will love me like my friend’s parents love their children.”

Attentively, Chanyeol listened to everything she wanted to say, nodded and hummed to prompt her to continue, and his hand every once in a while raised to brush off the tears from her reddened cheeks. He felt bad for her, he really did. No child should have faced this kind of problem, they should have been able to live happily as if the world is the greatest place to be in.

He himself, wasn't always happy during his childhood. His parents sometimes told him off, but those were because of his wrongdoings, it always were, he realized after growing older. Yet, for Chinsun, it wasn't her fault. It's not her fault to be born at the wrong time. Yes, she was only born at the wrong time, her birth wasn't a mistake at all.

Pulling the little girl gently to move onto his lap, Chanyeol carefully wrapped his arms protectively around her who while sobbing latching her arms and legs around him. The young man sighed silently and stood up. His arm propped the girl’s light weight while his other hand rested on Chinsun’s head, caressing the soft hair while he let her to cry against his neck.

With the small experience from the night before, Chanyeol readily whispered sweet comforting words to the child. “You are a good girl, Chinsun-ah. You are loved. Everything will be alright.”

He continued muttering softly, his feet took them around the living room while his brain fishing out any words he could use to calm the girl. The time told him that calling Yifan right then for help was out of option, the older was surely had gone to sleep by then, and it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter