Do I look gay?

Play Pretend [Chanbaek]

"How do I look?"

"Like ."

Chanyeol almost slams his head against Minseok's as soon as he turns around, a panicked expression painted all over his face.

"What? Really? Do I really look that bad?"

The older sighs, rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hands, mentally cursing himself for deciding to sit next to the giant.

"'s sake Chanyeol, I already told you this a hundred times: you look fine. You look the same as always. Now can I please go back to studying History in peace?"

Chanyeol shakes his head, and truth be told, even if Minseok has never really been an aggressive person, all of a sudden he feels the need to punch his friend right in the teeth.

"Yeah but what do you mean with fine? I need something more...detailed, you know? This is an important matter."

Minseok shakes his head, giving up once and for all on studying. He's going to get a terrible grade in his test and it's all going to be Park Chanyeol's fault.

Why are they even friends anyways?

"To me this just seems dumb. Plus, what the is "more detailed" supposed to mean?"

The taller caresses his chin for a few seconds, before putting one of his hands on the other's thigh.

"What...?"

"Let's say, do I look...Gay? Like, full on gay? Like, if you saw me on the street, would you think that I just a guy off or something like that?"

After that sentence, there's a brief moment of silence between the two of them.

At least twenty seconds pass, and still, neither of them dares to say anything.

The air is filled with Chanyeol's determined gaze and Minseok's confused stare.

It takes ten more seconds for the older to process what his friend said, and even after that, he still needs a moment just to let the question sink in.

Again, why are they friends?

Slowly, almost reluctantly, he begins opening his mouth, allowing a very short but perfectly fitting sentence to come out of it.

"What in the actual ."

Chanyeol huffs, crossing his arms over his chest and falling back against his seat.

"Come on man, it's just a question. I need your honest opinion. Do I look gay? Please, at least tell me I don't look straight."

Minseok shakes his head as he closes his book, shoving it back into his bag.

He's just glad they only have a couple more minutes to go before he can get the hell out of that bus.

"W-Why do you...Why would you even NEED to... I don't...What..."

"Don't ask." 

A voice erupts from the seat in front of his, followed soon after by Kyungsoo's face.

"Seriously Minseok, don't ask. Don't let him drag you into this. You're going to regret it."

The older just nods, almost jumping up from his spot when Chanyeol's arm wraps around his shoulders.

"Go away Kyungsoo, I'm not talking with you. I need his opinion instead of yours since you're being a ."

"I'm not being a , I'm just acting like a normal person. You're the here."

"What? No, you're the !"

"Listen-"

"Shut up, both of you. Jesus, are you guys five or something?" Minseok interrupts, shrugging Chanyeol off of him. "Can you please tell me what's going on? Actually, scratch that, do I even want to know what's going on?"

Kyungsoo widens his eyes, shaking his head as hard as he can. "You don't. Trust m-" 

But Chanyeol has already grabbed Minseok's face and forced him to look into his eyes.

"Do you know Dara?"

"I mean I've seen her a few times at school. I think we did a project together two years ago."

The taller smiles, squishing his cheeks to the point it almost hurts.

"Perfect! Isn't she the best?"

The other frowns, even more confused than before. How does looking gay have anything to do with Dara being "the best"?

"Dunno. Haven't really talked to her in a while. I guess she's alright."

"Wrong answer. She is, indeed, the best. And the thing is," After looking around, Chanyeol lowers his voice. "I kinda like her. Actually, I like her a lot. But apparently she doesn't want anything to do with men at the moment."

"I didn't know she was lesbian" Minseok replies, making Chanyeol want to slap his own forehead.

"She's not lesbian, you idiot. She just isn't a fan of guys. She recently broke up with her boyfriend, that's why. But still, I want to get closer to her, you know? And I can't just do it by being my usual self, because my usual self is a straight man, and she hates it."

"An extremely annoying straight man." Kyungsoo adds, earning a glare from the giant.

"Whatever. So, I decided to come up with a plan. You know how her best friend is supposedly gay?"

"Yeah, and? Don't tell me, you..."

Chanyeol's eyes sparkle, giving away how proud he is of his terrible idea.

"That means she's fine with gay dudes. So, in order to be her friend, I just need to be gay. Hence why I need to know if today I look gay."

For the second time in the span of ten minutes, Minseok is left speechless.

Why is the bus taking so long to arrive to the school?

"You do realize that you can't just magically become gay, right?"

"Of course, but I don't need to be really gay for my plan to work. I just need to act the part. Now tell me. Look at me and tell me if I look gay or not. Quick."

Minseok swallows loudly, covering the sound of Kyungsoo's frustrated sigh.

Finally, he hears the sound of the tires screeching against the road, clear sign that the bus has reached its destination.

Oh, Thank God.

Seriously, thank God.

"Yeah." He says, hoping that Chanyeol will find his answer satisfying enough to let him go once and for all, "Yeah, you look pretty gay."

***

"Oh my God there she is. Oh my God Kyungsoo what do I do. Is my hair okay? Does my breath smell?"

Kyungsoo takes a bite of his pizza, ignoring the giant.

Man, pizza sure does taste good. It almost makes him feel a little less annoyed.

"Kyungsoo stop stuffing your face with that crap and answer me. Come on she's waiting for me!"

"I highly doubt that."

Chanyeol groans while attempting to comb his hair with his fingers, hoping to make it look a little more presentable.

"Whatever, I'm going. Wish me good luck."

"If you come back before lunch break ends make sure to buy me a coffee."

" you."

Kyungsoo laughs under his breath, keeping an eye on his best friend as he walks towards the other side of the room, fidgeting and all.

"God he's so awkward."

The closer he gets to Dara's table, the more Chanyeol feels like he's going to faint.

What should he tell her? How should he behave? Do gay men have a specific way of greeting people they just met? Do gay people talk a certain way?

His best guess is to act as feminine as possible. 

He doesn't really realize how ridiculous that sounds until he actually coughs a few times to try and make his voice reach a higher pitch.

"That's not going to work, is it?" He whispers to himself, and he almost doesn't notice the fact that he's now standing right beside a rather perplexed (and rather beautiful) Dara.

"Uhm, hello? Can I help you?" Her voice is bitter, and Chanyeol can almost feel her gaze setting him on fire. Does she really hate men that much?

Shaking his head in a weak attempt to get rid of his useless thoughts, Chanyeol smiles, bending down to kiss both of her cheeks.

That's what gay people do, right?

"What the..."

"Hello dear! You look amazing up close! Oh, I almost forgot. I'm Chanyeol." 

Suddenly, Dara's eyes light up.

She hugs him right away, and damn it, if the taller had managed to not faint a few seconds before, he's probably going to do it right there.

"Chanyeol sweetie! I almost couldn't recognize you! You look even more handsome in real life than you do in your instagram photos!"

The boy blushes as he sits down beside her, giggling like an idiot.

"Girl you're too kind, I look like a mess today! I wanted to iron my hair a bit this morning but I was already running late."

Dara rolls her eyes, nodding excitedly. "Ugh that always happens to me too, but your curls are super cute, so don't worry."

He just hums in response, glancing at all the girls surrounding him.

There are three of them, but he's pretty sure there should be someone else sitting in his place, because from what he knows, all the seat's at Dara's table are always taken.

"Right, let me introduce you to my friends! This is Chaerin, the girl next to her is Bom, and the one next to you is Minzy."

They greet him one at a time, and, surprisingly enough, even though he always had a feeling they would probably be scary and hard to approach, now that he looks at them from this perspective they all seem pretty nice.

"And this seat right here," She continues, pointing towards Chanyeol "is usually taken by my best friend, but he's been sick for a couple of days now. Actually... do you guys have any idea of when is he going to come back?"

Chaerin shrugs, shoving a fistful of fries in . "I think he said he'll be here tomorrow if he feels better, but I'm not sure."

Dara nods, shifting her attention back to the new guest. "Aw, that's really a pity, I'm sure you two would totally get along. Maybe you even know him already."

"Mh? You think so? What's his name?"

"Byun Baekhyun. Ever heard of him?"

Chanyeol thinks about it for a moment. The name does sound remotely familiar for some reason, but no matter how hard he tries to remember what face belongs to that bunch of letters, he just can't bring himself to do it.

He doesn't know why, but something feels weird.

But maybe it's just his imagination.

After a couple of seconds, he just shakes his head.

"Nah, don't think so. But I'm looking forward to meeting him!"

Dara laughs, hugging Chanyeol's arm, making his heart skip a beat. "I bet you do! He's a great guy, and he's really cute. Maybe you'll end up liking him."

"Hey, I'm not that easy!"

The taller watches as she begins laughing even harder, knee-slap and all that.

And damn, she's beautiful.

He almost can't take his eyes off of her.

But the fact that he's finally able to talk to her like this, can only prove one thing.

Park Chanyeol is a ing genius.

And his plan, oh, his plan couldn't have worked any better.

***

"Why is your friend not with you today?"

"He's busy doing things he'll regret in like, three days. Ah, do you have a lighter?"

The boy nods, handing it to Kyungsoo.

"Is he the one laughing like a fool?"

Kyungsoo looks behind his back, searching for his best friend from the other side of the window.

And once he spots him, he just has to groan. He looks like a complete idiot, heart-eyes and all of that bull included.

"Yeah, that's him. It's almost painful to watch."

The other snickers, lighting his own cigarette.

"I'm sure it is. Anyway, do you want to come over to my house later?"

The shorter thinks about it for a split second, before smiling to himself.

"Nah, maybe tomorrow. I have a feeling that loser will want to tell me every ing detail about his little date. Sorry about that, Jongin."

The younger nods, adjusting his backpack on his shoulder.

"It's okay. Wish him good luck from me, whatever the hell he's doing."

That being said, Jongin bends down, and after leaving a brief kiss on his cheek, he turns around, disappearing behind the corner.

"Good luck, eh?" 

Kyungsoo mutters, raising an eyebrow.

", he's going to need a lot more than just luck".

 

***

A/N: Hi! So, I just wanted to say a couple of things:

1) I'm really sorry about the grammar of this story, but english isn't my first language, so please bear with me,,, 

2) I don't know how often I will upload chapters during the week, since I have to go to school. Sunday is the only certain day (since it's the only day off we have) but I'll try my best to write as much as I can!!

3) Most importantly, I wanted to say that I really really appreciate your comments and I'm glad some of you seem to like the plot of this story!! Seriously, even just one (1) nice comment can make my day 10 times better. So thank you! Even if I don't reply or anything, just know that they make me happy :)

That's all! Have a nice day!!