Sugar daddy, little brother or boyfriend?

Spying Soonyoung

It's pretty obvious that Soonyoung, a dance major, part-time DJ (he does it for fun) and sometimes a singer (he joins— or more like interrupts, the music majors with his presence from time to time due to boredom), is an actual social butterfly in Pledis University. He's quite popular, if a few love letters from both female and male students being slipped inside his locker are an indication yet. He puts it in his bag, no one knows if he actually reads them or not since he hasn't acknowledge anyone yet nor gone out with someone yet.

"Hyung, are you going to join us in the station today?" Seungkwan asks as he approaches Soonyoung infront of his locker, trailing behind him is Seokmin— both of them are the regular DJ's for Pledis Uni, and Jeonghan and Jisoo.

"Nope," he shakes his head. "Gotta run some errands at home."

"Maybe next time them," Seokmin smiles. "Jeonghan and Jisoo will join us to promote the music club's upcoming mini concert."

"That's good then, bye!" He runs away from them as soon as he said his last words. Not even waiting for the others' reply.

"He hasn't been going out with us lately," Jeonghan mutters.

"Hyung!" Someone shouted from behind them. They all turn around and sees Chan, Junhui and Minghao all looking sweaty, probably because of their dance practice earlier. And then there's Mingyu walking with them, not taking his eyes away from his phone. He must've lost his key again and needs Minghao's duplicate one for their shared room. It's not a surprising event anymore.

"Oh, hey," Jisoo waves at them.

"Soonyoung hyung wraps us up early today just like yesterday," Chan grins widely. Glad that their usual 3 to 4 hours schedule practice is dismissed after 2 hours only today.

"Yeah, we just saw him leave. He says he has some errands to do," Seokmin says, pointing at the empty hallway where Soonyoung passed by earlier.

"Oh, but he said he needs to finish three essays due tomorrow on his Lit," Minghao mumbles.

"He said that?" Junhui scowls, he's pretty sure Soonyoung is his classmate on Literature and that he is only attending one Literature schedule because who would want to attend the same class twice in the same semester. "But we don't have anything due tomorrow for Lit."

"Is hyung hiding something from us?" Mingyu, for the first time since they all met there, looks up from his phone and asks.

Jeonghan smirks. "Well, it's time to find out."


 

A few blocks away, eight boys are huddled together, peeking on the edge of the tall wall of their beloved university except Seungkwan who's complaining on how they should go back because they need to be in their station in less than 10 minutes.

"Shhh!" Seokmin murmurs. "It's not the first time we are late. And look!"

"Oh my god, that's some ing nice car!"

"Jeonghan, words!"

"Why is hyung entering the car?"

"Wait- Is Soonyoung riding that car???"

"I know that!" Jeonghan wails hopelessly, slumping on the ground defeatedly.

Seokmin sits beside him, "what is it, hyung?"

"Soonhyung has a sugar daddy."

"WHAT?" Seven different voices choruses.

"You know how he's broke and we have so many expenses at school. That's probably it!" Jeonghan exclaims.

"Come on, hyung. How did you come up with that?" Jun frowns.

"I almost got myself one last year before meeting Seungcheol."

Jisoo heaves a sigh. "How come I never knew that? Y'all can come to me if that's the case."

Minghao shakes his head, frowning more at the thought of Soonyoung having a sugar daddy. "But hyung isn't the type of person to actually ask a favor or help from us. Jeonghan hyung must be right."

"I worry for hyung, but before we think this through, we really need to go back inside," Seungkwan says.


 

The next day is a Saturday, and Vernon is strolling on the mall with his headphones on. Which is annoying because one of the earplugs isn't working anymore. Which sends us to the reason why he is at the mall alone— to buy a new one.

He is waiting in line to purchase the good when he catches a glimpse of someone familiar.

'Soonyoung hyung,' he thinks. He would've called him if he doesn't notice that Soonyoung is actually with someone. He squints his eyes to see the face of who he is with, but fails since the other person never looks his way.

Soonyoung is smiling genuinely to the smaller kid beside him, animatedly talking, hands making a lot of gestures in the air. Vernon smiles and thinks, 'never knew hyung has a little brother, though.'


 

Wonwoo is at a cafe that offers books for free reading at the same mall and at the same day Vernon is at. But unfortunately, they never cross paths. Probably because Vernon doesn't read romantic books nor drink coffee that much. Or maybe because Wonwoo only goes to the mall because of that cafe and leaves once he finishes the book, never strolling on any other corner of the mall.

He closes the book and heaves a deep breathe, the aroma of coffee and of old books entering his senses. He stretches a bit while looking around. He spots a familiar figure a few table away from his, surprised at how Soonyoung pecks the forehead of the other male. He scrunches his nose, unfavorable of the sweet scene infront of him. He gets this giddy feeling from the book, but never with his bestfriend doing romantic things with someone. Also, they are bestfriends. How come he never knew of Soonyoungs growing love life, which, so to speak, is pretty dead before he witnesses this.

Never, in their group of friends, did Soonyoung ever displays that he can have that kind of level of affection to someone. He's pretty sure that a couple of people from their group have had a crush on Soonyoung, hell, even half of the students in their university have. But all Soonyoung has shown is love of pure friendship.

He would've approached them, and maybe tease his bestfriend. But he's too lazy to get up. Plus, the next chapter he is going to read is quite promising. So, he opens his book again and mumbles, "I'll get you another time, Soonyoung."


 

Twelve teenage boys gather together on a table made for ten person only on their lunch break, food and books scattered together messily.

Jisoo stands up and lifts a sandwich. "Soonyoung, you can have this."

The called boy looks up from his messy writing from copying Junhui's homework. "Oh, thanks hyung!"

Jisoo smiles while Mingyu, who's frantically typing something on his phone, is mumbling under his breathe how it is unfair that Jisoo doesn't give him anything.

"Soonyoungie," Jeonghan grins.

"Yes, hyung?" Soonyoung mutters, halting once again from what he is doing, this time, with the sandwich hanging off between his lips.

"If you needed some books, you can have my old books for free, alright? I have them stacked up on my room, they take up too much space."

"Uh- sure, hyung."

"Soonyoung..."

He sighs as he looks up again, this time, at Seungcheol. "Yes, hyung?"

Being Jeonghan's boyfriend, he already heard about the rumor that Soonyoung has a sugar daddy. "You know that you can always ask us for anything that you need, right? Like literally anything."

"Uh, yeah..." He smiles awkwardly before standing up, weirded out by the others. "I— I think I need to go to my next class." He scurries off away from them.

"Woah, what was that?" Vernon asks once the former guy is already out of sight.

"We think Soonyoung is having a hard time financially," Seungkwan fills in. "He skipped lunch time last week."

"Also, we think he has a sugar daddy." Jeonghan chimes in.

"A what?!" This time, Wonwoo looks up from his phone. Beside him is a frowning Mingyu, probably waiting for his reply since the older doesn't always want to talk to him face to face. 'Your face annoys me,' the older used to say.

"A sugar daddy."

"I saw him buy something for his little brother the other day on a music store," Vernons says. "Maybe he got his money from that."

"But I saw him with his boyfriend on a cafe," Wonwoo defends. "He can't be cheating."

"He has a boyfriend?" they all choruses to Wonwoo.


 

At the end of the day, they all decided to follow Soonyoung after school.

"That's the car!" Jeonghan points to the heavily tinted white car infront of them. As soon as he shouts it to Seungcheol, Soonyoung comes to view and enters the said car.

"Babe, calm down." Seungcheol says as he starts the engine of his own. They sit comfortably in the front. But behind them are tangled limbs of nine grown up boys, trying to fit in a space made for six.


 

They stop a few blocks away from where the white car is already parking. It is a familiar neighbor to Seungcheol, he lives on the other side of the village.

"The guy must be rich," he said.

"Yeah, his house is even better-looking than yours." Jeonghan states and the former cannot defend himself because of how true it is.

They never see the couple getting inside the house due to the disgusting sound and smell coming from Seokmin, throwing up on the opened window of the car.

"He's never really good with cars," Jisoo says as he pats the younger's back beside him, reminiscing a horrible event when they all went to a summer trip last year with a 3 hour long drive.


 

"Who should knock?" Chan mumbles as they crowded infront of the big house.

Wonwoo pushes Mingyu. "You look tough anyway."

"But a true fluffball inside," Minghao mumbles which earned him a pout from the former.

The tallest of them heaves a deep breath before knocking thrice. The door opens, and all of them is visibly confused.

"What?" A small guy stands infront of them. He looks nothing but adorable, one must say. But he's supporting a deadly glare. And it is enough for Mingyu to be intimidated.

"Ah.. are we on the right house?" Minghao whispers.

Jun looks behind him and sees the white car. "I guess so, if we're following the right car."

"Jihoon, is that mom?" they all heard Soonyoung's voice coming inside, and they all let out a breathe of relief.

"He's Soonyoung's lil bro."

"Nah, he is his boyfriend."

A pair of arm wraps around the little guy's middle. And then there's Soonyoung, standing behind the little guy, smiling at them. "Hey, guys! How'd you find my home?"

The little guy groans as he turns to walk away. "What a worst timing," he whispers venomous.


 

They all scatter on Soonyoung's spacious living room. Jihoon, the name of the little guy as they learnt from Soonyoung, goes upstairs, stomping his feet from obvious annoyance.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind, but I'm just gonna go up talk to him first."

"Sure," they all answers.

When Soonyoung is out of earshot, Vernon leans in to whisper. "Told you he's a lil bro. Hyung is definitely an affectionate brother."

"Hyung isn't this rich, though," Seungkwan gestures for the whole house.

"He never mentions a lil bro," Junhui says.

Jeonghan suddenly stands up. "We should just go."

"No, hyung! That's bad," Chan retorts.

The older just shrugs and starts walking upstairs. "But I wanna know."


 

They all ended up upstairs, peeking inside an open door leading to a study room. Jihoon is sitting on the center table with Soonyoung infront of him, the latter seems like he is explaining something, his back facing them.

Then another thing happened, which leads them to cover Chan's eyes and ears. They are locking lips passionately.

"?" Seokmin mumbles and at the corner of his eyes, he can see Jisoo doing a sign of the cross.

"Damn, ." Seungcheol says which earns him a flick on his ears from his boyfriend.

The kiss is short. Once they parted, Jihoon glances at them with a smirk. "We'll continue later tonight, okay?" Soonyoung offers.

"Okay," Jihoon's smirk turns into a soft smile.

"You guys should be waiting downstairs," Soonyoung's voice suddenly gets louder.

They all hurried downstairs, with Mingyu tripping on Wonwoo's foot and ending up kissing the floor, but not as passionately as Soonyoung kissed Jihoon earlier.


 

"So..." A long silence stretches out with Seungkwan's mouth opening and closing, not knowing how to continue.

"What are you, two?" Jeonghan points at them, Soonyoungs arm wrapped around the small guys shoulder.

"Husbands."

"WHAT?" And that's the loudest chorus they all have ever made.

"Got married to Jihoon last year," Soonyoung smiles, showing his intertwined fingers with Jihoon, both has a silver ring. "But it's only a small ceremony. Jihoon's travelling out of country a lot these past few months due to their family business. I need an assurance he'll never be taken away from me while I'm here, schooling. He's here for a month for our anniversary before going away again out of town. Which explains why I was saving up last week. I bought him a gift."

"How come you never mention him to us before?" Minghao frowns.

Soonyoung just shrugs. "No one really asked anyway. And Jihoon doesn't want it to be revealed yet. We're waiting for me to graduate first before making a huge wedding ceremony."

They all learned that day about Soonyoung and Jihoon. They are the best of friends when they are young. Falling in love in middle school. Jihoon getting homeschooled and graduating and Soonyoung proposing. He's still getting allowance from his parents, which is why he is still living the poor life. He doesn't want to get any of Jihoon's savings. And Soonyoung is definitely whipped by Jihoon.

When everyone is out of the house, waving them goodbye, Jihoon is the one who shuts the door close and pulls Soonyoung closer by the collar, kissing him quite fiery.