favouritism at it's finest

i want you (so please look at me)

“Taehyung, let me in.” Jimin hefts his bag higher over his shoulder. “I need to shower, the showers in the dance studios aren’t working, so I’m all sweaty and gross.”

“Chim, have I ever told you how ethereal you look today? And just how kind and wonderful you are?”

Jimin sighs. “What did you do this time, Tae?”

Taehyung scratches the back of his neck and steps back to let him in. “I may have killed our table.”

“How did you manage to do that?” He drops his backpack by the couch and stares at their splintered table, split near the middle.

“I… tripped?” Taehyung laughs awkwardly.

He’s more amazed Taehyung managed to do that. It’s been years since they’ve been friends, he’s not surprised anymore. When he imagines the scene, he can’t help but laugh. Taehyung joins him a little later and they’re both laughing so hard, tears form in their eyes.

“Let’s go buy a new one later,” he says after they stop laughing. “After I shower, so I don’t smell the entire way there.”

“But weren’t you meeting Jungkook for dinner today?” Taehyung points to the stickynote he had stuck onto their fridge.

“Oh yeah.” He quickly racks his brain for a better solution. They needed a table but he promised to have dinner with Jungkook first, plus it wasn’t nice to Jungkook if he cancelled with such short notice.

“I’ll call Jungkook to see if he wants to come with us.” Taehyung offers. “Then we can have dinner together after we buy the table.”

“Thanks, Tae, but I should probably call him. I was the one who agreed to have dinner with him after all.”

Taehyung nods and go back to gaming, his previous guilty act gone in a flash.

Jungkook answers in a few rings.

“Hello, Jungkook.” Jimin says into his phone.

There’s a loud crash and muffled curses before Jungkook replies, sounding a little breathless. “Jimin?”

“Yeah, it’s me.” He smothers a laugh. “Taehyung broke our only table, so we have to buy one, do you want to join us or do you want to reschedule dinner?”  

“I…” Jungkook falters for a bit before he continues. “I—yeah, I’ll come with you guys, I need a new chair. But are you sure you guys don’t mind me tagging along?”  

“With Taehyung, I need all the help I can.” Jimin tells Jungkook about the last time he’d been to IKEA with Taehyung, he had lost Taehyung in the first 10 minutes. It had taken him an hour and 2 staff to find Taehyung curled up in one of the children’s bunk beds.

They set up to meet 30 minutes at the entrance of the dorms.  

It takes Jimin most of those 30 minutes prying Taehyung from his game and getting him changed to anything but his frog onesie.

They actually end up meeting Jungkook on time with Jimin’s hair still dripping wet.

“Why didn’t you dry your hair before you came out?” Jungkook looks worriedly at his wet hair, a small frown etched on his face.

“I didn’t have time to dry it because I had to get Taehyung to stop gaming.” He aims a mock glare at his friend who just shrugs nonchalantly.

“You could’ve texted me and I would’ve waited.” Jungkook begins to fuss over him like he was the older one of the three. “You need to dress more warmly, you’re going to end up with a cold with that wet hair and those thin clothes.”

“Kook, I’m fine.” He stops the younger boy when he begins to take off his jacket. “Let’s just go before we all freeze to death by the entrance.”

“Do you think they’re still doing a sale on those meatballs?” Taehyung begins talking about the food and how he can’t wait to taste them all.

“The way you talk about the food makes me think you broke our table on purpose just so we had to go to IKEA.”

He shares a laugh with Jungkook while Taehyung tries to deny it.

All three of them continue to bicker and tease each other all the way there.


Taehyung runs amok as soon as they enter the store. He hides in the closet and shouts ‘For Narnia!’ every time someone opens the doors.

Jimin has half a mind to join him and half a mind to pretend not to know him at all. He decides on the latter when Taehyung ends up falling a top of a poor unsuspecting couple.

Just as Jimin predicted, he lost sight of Taehyung while he and Jungkook were debating about the better chair to buy.

“Should we go find him?” Jungkook asks, looking around hoping to spot Taehyung amongst the furniture.

“It’s fine.” He focuses back on the two chairs Jungkook had been deciding between when they realized they’d lost Taehyung. “Let’s just buy our things first. It’ll be faster this way. He actually brought his phone this time. We’ll most likely find him eating or in the ball pit anyways.”

Jungkook’s lips quirk into an amused smile. “Yeah, I can actually imagine that.”

They turn their attention back to the chairs.

“I like this one more.” Jimin spins the empty turquoise colored chair. “You get to spin and you can adjust the height.”

“This one is cheaper, though.” Jungkook points to the wooden chair.

“But it’s so plain and ugly.” Jimin makes a face and pulls Jungkook towards him. “This one is softer and you won’t end up with a sore .”

He tugs to get Jungkook to try out the chair. Maybe because Jungkook hadn’t been expecting it, Jungkook quickly pulls his hand back at the contact. That small action has the both of them tumbling into the chair.

Jimin lands on Jungkook’s lap, with his arms braced against the back of the chair, while Jungkook’s arm automatically wraps around his waist to keep him from falling.

Jungkook winces lightly as his back hits the chair with their combined weight.

“See,” Jimin says victoriously. “This is why you should get the one with the padding.”

Jungkook groans out loud. “Did you just do that so you could prove a point?”

The two of them sit there giggling until an old granny walks by, giving them scandalized looks.

Jimin clears his throat. “Maybe we should get up before staff comes and kicks us out.”

Jungkook quickly yanks his hand away, face flushed.

They’re both standing there awkwardly, until Jimin suggests that they go look at the tables now that Jungkook has decided on the chair. Without a word, Jungkook speeds off and Jimin has to run after the taller boy to catch up.


They actually do find Taehyung in the ballpit.

As Taehyung wished, they have meatballs for dinner.

“How are we going to bring that home?” Taehyung nods at the big boxes beside their feet.

“We barely managed to lug them here with Kookie’s strength.” Jimin stabs at a meatball, drowning it in sauce. “I don’t think we’d be able to manage to get them back to our dorms.”

“Why don’t I call Yoongi?” Jungkook is already pulling out his phone. “He isn’t doing anything today, he’d complain but I’m sure he’d come drive us.”

Jimin is caught between wanting to see Yoongi but not wanting Yoongi to see his dishevelled appearance. Taehyung decides for them and quickly urges the youngest to call.

It doesn’t take Jungkook much convincing and Jimin spends the rest of dinner playing around with his food, pushing it around instead of eating.

When he sees Yoongi, he bites back a little sigh. Yoongi is dressed in one of his leather jackets again, paired with a white t-shirt and skinny jeans.

Yoongi drops into the seat beside Taehyung and across from Jimin. “The three of you owe me for waking me up just to drive you home.”

“Sorry for waking you, Min PD.” Jimin gives Yoongi a small smile. “We would’ve driven ourselves but Namjoon needed the car so we couldn’t borrow it.”

“Not that you can drive.” Taehyung smirks, happily reminding them all that Jimin has still yet to take his driving test.

“You haven’t taken the test yet?” At the question, Jimin looks up. Yoongi is looking at him, dark eyes, questioning.

“I haven’t.” Jimin pushes another meatball through the sauce. “I’ve taken a few classes but it’s really intimidating being out on the road with everyone honking at you.”

“I’ll teach you.” Jungkook offers.

“You barely got your licence, kid.” Yoongi lifts a brow. “You should be the last one offering to teach anyone.”

“Why don’t you teach Chim then?” Taehyung’s tone has a little challenge in it but at the same time, it sounds nonchalant.

“What do I get out of it?” Yoongi steals the fork out of Jimin’s hands and takes a meatball.

“Jimin’s unconditional love.” Taehyung’s answer has Jimin choking on his own breath.

“Don’t I already have that?” Yoongi’s tone is teasing but it makes Jimin flush red anyways.

He doesn’t really remember what he splutters out in response but Taehyung saves him and turns the conversation to his ‘adventure’ in the ball pit.

He lets Jungkook and Taehyung keep up the conversation as he shamelessly ogles Yoongi as discreetly as he can.

The white t-shirt is dips, exposing Yoongi’s collarbones, as he reaches over to steal a meatball off Jimin’s plate.

Yoongi kicks at the box with a model of Jungkook’s chair plastered over it “This isn’t like something you’d buy.”

Jungkook turns to look at what Yoongi was talking about. “Oh, Jimin chose that chair, said I needed some bright colors in my life.”

“I did not.” He waves his fork in Jungkook’s direction. “I said the chair was more comfortable. Then you proceeded to prove my point by promptly falling on the other chair and bruising your .”   

He can see Taehyung looking between them curiously as Jungkook retorts. “You were the one who sat on me.”

“Because you pulled me and made me lose my balance.” Jimin replies childishly.

“I thought dancers were supposed to be good at balancing.” Jungkook’s reply is equally juvenile.

“Your long limbs are no help either, I saw you trip over nothing when I was getting a trolley.”

Jungkook is ready to retaliate but Yoongi stops them but waving his fork between the two of them. “Okay stop it, you brats. I expected this from Taehyung and Jungkook, but not you, Jimin.”

He pouts at Yoongi’s teasing tone. “I’m sorry?”

Yoongi rolls his eyes and stabs the last meatball before handing it to him. “I’ll forgive you, cuz you’re cute.”

He quickly takes the meatball and eats it, hoping no one sees the blush that never seems to fade around Yoongi.

Jungkook and Taehyung both protest at Yoongi’s words for the rest of the meal.

When they start carrying the furniture to the car, no one really talks because of the weight. They’re too focused on picking their way through the crowd to the car to do anything else but warn each other when one of them were to crash into something or someone.

“I should have never answered the call if I was going to be forced into this slavery.” Yoongi grunts when they begin shuffling awkwardly out of the elevator.

“You need some physical exercise, Yoongi.” Jungkook teases.

“And sunshine.” Taehyung adds on eagerly.

“Yah.” Yoongi comes to an abrupt stop, forcing all of them to stop too. “Do you want to die? I’m going to leave all of you here to rot.”

“Even me, Min PD?” Jimin speaks up, a little breathless from trying to keep the corner of the box from slipping out of his fingers.

“You too because you didn’t stop them from waking me up.” Yoongi huffs. “Let’s keep going, the faster we reach the car, the quicker I can get rid of you guys.”  

“Stop pretending to be something you’re not. We all know you’re just a softy on the inside.” Jungkook says.

A glare from Yoongi and they continue towards the car.

They finally get to the car a little while later and they can’t help but groan. The chair would fit easily in the trunk but they’d need to keep the table in the backseat.

“I don’t think it’s going to fit unless one of sit on someone’s lap.” Jungkook eyes the table currently taking up most of the backseat.

“Then Jimin or Yoongi should sit on someone’s lap.” Taehyung laughs. “They’re smaller.”

“We’re not small,” Jimin says. “You two are just abnormally tall.”

“Not the point,” Yoongi gestures to the car once again. “I wanna go home, so hurry up.”

“Shotgun!” Taehyung yells, while they’re all hesitating.

“I guess I’ll be on your lap again.” Jimin says with a laugh. Jungkook acts a little like his younger brother, so he’s comfortable enough with Jungkook.

Jungkook is splutters, going red in the face. “If… If you don’t mind.”

Just as Jimin is about to settle himself between the seat and Jungkook, Yoongi tugs him away.

Yoongi wrenches open the door of the front passenger seat and pushes him inside. He then turns to Taehyung and Jungkook. “You two either ride the bus home or force your long limbs into the backseat for 10 minutes.”

Jimin stares at Yoongi as he proceeds to shut the door in his face.

Taehyung chuckles despite everything and slips into the space between the cardboard box with the table and the back of the seat.

“This is blatant favoritism.” Jungkook complains.

Yoongi settles himself into the driver’s seat. “Well I’ll favor you too if you bring me coffee every morning.”

Jimin doesn’t know what Yoongi’s actions mean but he takes it as a good sign.