of lame pick-up lines, jealousy and a little flirting

i want you (so please look at me)

“Chim Chim!” Taehyung bounds through the door with Hoseok right behind him.

“What are you doing here?” Jimin asks his two friends.

“We came to pick you up!” Taehyung visibly vibrates with enthusiasm.

Hoseok takes pity on him and explains. “Yoongi decided, last minute, to drive to Jungkook’s game and since your shift is ending soon, we thought we’d come pick you up along the way.”

“I even made posters!” Taehyung waves wildly towards the door. “I left them in the car.”

Jimin smiles at his friend’s enthusiasm. “I’m sure Jungkook would appreciate it.”

“Probably not.” Yoongi pops up from behind Taehyung and Hoseok. “He’s probably going to pretend not to know us with all the racket those two are bound to make.”

Hoseok punches Yoongi in the shoulder playfully. “Don’t pretend you weren’t secretly excited yourself when you went to park the car.”

Yoongi glowers at his friend. “Why the would I do that?”

“You’re just embarrassed because-”

Yoongi cuts Hoseok off quickly. “Shut up or else I’m leaving you here.”

The 3 of them continue to bicker even as they move down the counter to collect their drinks.

He can’t help but laugh at the group’s antics before he turns back to the waiting customer in front of him.

When his shift ends, the others are waiting for him, gathered around the tables near the corner of the shop. He takes the empty spot beside Yoongi and across Taehyung.

“We can hang around here for a little while before we head off.” Hoseok tells him.

“Yoongi bought you coffee.” Taehyung wriggles his eyebrows dramatically. It looks so ridiculous he burst into giggles.

“Thanks.” He smiles his appreciation. It’s been a while someone has bought him coffee. “Did you hold the sugar because you’re definitely sweet enough for me.”  

Yoongi splutters. Taehyung and Hoseok both burst out laughing, half because of the look on Yoongi’s face and half because of the lame line Jimin just used.

He flushes red right after those words leave his mouth. “I’m sorry. It’s just that someone tried it on me before, so I thought it’d be a little funny.”

“I bet a hot-tea like you gets dates with those lines.” Hoseok teases.

“Just a latte.” Taehyung adds on.

“Jesus, stop. My ears are going to bleed at this rate.” Yoongi rolls his eyes. “Let’s just go before someone kicks us out for all the lame lines you’re trying to throw around.”

Yoongi forces them out of the shop and into the car as Taehyung and Hoseok continue with even more ridiculous coffee shop pick up lines.

“It’s your fault.” Yoongi points to their two friends with their heads bowed together.

He shares a conspiratory look with Yoongi. “I’m regretting it now.”

“What? You mean I’m not as sweet as sugar?” Yoongi’s mock gasp of offence has him giggling again.

“I thought you wanted people to think you were as bitter as the coffee you drink.”

Just as he moves to sit at the back with Taehyung, Yoongi snags his arm. “Sit up front with me, if I have to spend a 20 minute car ride listening to them yell their lame puns back and forth, I will leave all three of you on the side of the road.”

They continue talking the entire ride towards Jungkook’s championship game. The ride definitely feels a lot shorter than it is. He wishes the ride was a little longer so he could spend more time talking to Yoongi. It’s rare that they spoke one on one.

When they get there, it’s just as Yoongi predicted. Hoseok, Taehyung and even Jin begin waving the bright yellow posters Taehyung had made, with Jungkook’s face stuck in the blank spaces.

Jungkook gives them a brief wave before he quickly turns away. Even from his seat on the bleachers, he can see the redness staining Jungkook’s face.

They all watch as Jungkook scores basket after basket, giving his team to an easy 24 point lead.

“He’s really good.”

He doesn't realize he’s said that outloud until Yoongi speaks up. “I'm better than the kid.”

Taking his eyes off the court, he turns to Yoongi and sees a slight pout on his face. It’s so cute, he’s mesmerized. He shakes his head to stop himself from ogling. “I've never seen you play before.”

“I stopped playing last year.” Yoongi says with a small shrug. “Practice took too much time from music, so I quit.”

He tries to imagine Yoongi in a basketball uniform and instead he imagines long fingers holding the ball. He stifles a shiver and turns his thoughts to less dangerous territory.

He really wishes he got to see Yoongi play.

“Do you have pictures?” He bets there's probably a few lying around. “I want to see them.”

“I don't have any.” Yoongi says with a small shake of his head. “Hoseok may have some though, he's been to most of my games.”

He bats down a wave of disappointment and jealousy. It’s not that he wanted to be the only one who knew that side of Yoongi but he at least wanted to have watched Yoongi play at least once.

“I'm playing the preliminary game against the fine arts department.” Yoongi suggests casually as if seeing the pout on his face. “Namjoon and Hoseok can’t make it but you can still come if you want to.”

“Of course I'm coming!” He says that a bit too loudly, it has Jin and Taehyung craning their heads to look at him.

Yoongi chuckles and ruffles his hair. “I got it, brat. No need to yell.”

“I'm not a brat.” He attempts to push Yoongi’s hand away from his hair but the older just takes his other hand and messes his hair even more.

He tries to retaliate by stretching a hand to do the same to Yoongi but Yoongi tilts his head back so he’s out of reach.

“Nice try, kid, you and your short arms can’t do .” Yoongi laughs as he tilts his body even further back.

He lunges towards Yoongi and roughly collides into his chest. They’re eye to eye.

In close inspection, there’s a hint of brown in Yoongi’s triangular eyes, he always thought they were jet black. He notices his left eye has a more visible lid than his right one, the inner corner of his eyes are sharp and he wants to reach up and touch them.

He can almost hear his own heart thundering in his chest, or maybe it’s Yoongi’s. He can’t tell. One of Yoongi’s arms is pressed around his back lightly and his other is braced against the edge of the bleachers. He’s flattened up against Yoongi so tightly, he could almost feel the rise and fall of Yoongi’s chest as he breathes. He’s tempted to wrap a hand around the back of Yoongi’s neck and pull him into a kiss.

He doesn’t know when he starts leaning forwards but Yoongi is doing the same thing.

The moment is lost when the shrill whistle blows, signalling the end of the game.

Yoongi takes retracts his hand and turns back ahead.

He quickly straightens up and does the same, hurriedly joining Taehyung and the others in cheering. The only thoughts running through his head was ‘Would they have kissed if not for the whistle?’

The devil in his head reminds him that Hoseok is there.

They all head down towards the court a little later when most of the crowd is gone.

“I saw everything.” Taehyung pulls him back so they’re lagging behind the others. “Are you finally making progress? Going to get married anytime soon?”  

“Tae, are you crazy?” He quickly glances up ahead to make sure no one heard. “We aren't even dating.”

“Oh, my sweet, beautiful but slow soulmate.” Taehyung links their arms. “I’ve already written my best man speech for your wedding. Please try to get married near Christmas, because I have a lot of jokes that rely on that.”

He just laughs because it's Taehyung and he’d be lying if he said he didn't want that.


Jimin’s day gets progressively worse as it continues. The only thing that keeps him going is the prospect of dinner with his friends and Yoongi.

His alarm doesn’t ring so he ends up running towards class with mismatched socks and one of Taehyung’s jam stained sweatshirts. He sprints towards his first class and when he gets there, he’s all sweaty and messy. The only seat left is the one directly in front of the professor, next to the boy who constantly ask questions, the one no one wants to sit in.

His partner doesn’t show up for his psych presentation so he had to do it at all alone, while Jungkook shot him supportive looks throughout the entire 10 minutes.   

When he finally finishes with classes and is shampooing his hair, does he remember his shift at the coffee shop.

Taehyung is the one good thing that happens to him the entire day when he agrees to do Jimin’s shift as well in exchange for a bribe of a free meal.

He gives himself an hour to just lay around and do nothing before he heads off to meet everyone at Jin’s coffee shop.

“Hey, Tae.” He greets his friend when he sees him at the counter.

“Yoongi’s already here.” Taehyung points to where Yoongi is. He easily spots Yoongi scribbling into his notebook in the corner of the cafe. “Hurry up and go join lover boy.”

He wrinkles his nose in Taehyung’s direction. “Stop it.”

“I’ll come over and third wheel once my shift ends.” Taehyung continues to tease.

He sticks his tongue out at his friend and hurries towards Yoongi.

“Hey.” He collapses into the seat directly across from Yoongi. “Why are you the only one here?”

“Do you not want me to be here?” Yoongi asks, lifting an eyebrow.

“No.” He panics and begins to wave his arms frantically. “Of course not, I’m happy that you’re here. I was just wondering where everyone else was.”

“Got it.” Yoongi laughs at him and looks back down to his notebook. “Hoseok is still out working on his group project and Namjoon went to pick Jin up. Last I heard, Jungkook was going to be late because he forgot when we were meeting.”

He goes quiet watching Yoongi scribbling into his notebook.

“I had such a horrible day.” He hurriedly says to distract himself. Yoongi doesn’t reply, probably too immersed into writing, so he tries again and proceeds to tell Yoongi all about it. All he gets is silence and the sounds of pen across paper. In a final attempt, he sighs all loud and obnoxiously. “I wish someone could make this day better.”

Yoongi finally looks up from his notebook with a look of mock exasperation. “If I buy you coffee, will you stop complaining?”

He grins and holds out his hand for Yoongi’s card. “Absolutely.”

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi pulls out his wallet and slaps his card into Jimin’s hands.

With a skip in his step, he heads towards the counter where Taehyung is.

When he returns with his mocha, Yoongi is completely focused on his writing to notice him. He’s satisfied just watching the other boy work. It’s cute the way his eyebrows scrunch up in concentration, his free hand tangling into his mess of blonde hair, his long fingers wrapped around his pen.

He notices the way Yoongi bites at the ends of his pen when he gets stuck in particular parts or mutters to himself when he’s deciding which phrase fits better.

All those little actions feel so endearing and he feels like he can watch Yoongi write forever.