in which yoongi messes up

i want you (so please look at me)

“Jiminie!” Hoseok screams once he enters the coffee shop. 

“Hey, Hobi.” He watches as Hoseok drag Yoongi into the shop by the hand.

 “It’s too early for you to be screaming.” Yoongi mutters loudly once he’s in front of the counter.

He stifles a giggle at Yoongi’s barely open eyes and messy blonde hair peeking out from underneath a beanie.

“I came yesterday but you weren’t there.” Hoseok pouts.

“It wasn’t my shift yesterday.” He tells Hoseok softly.

“Chim, are they your friends?” Taehyung pops up from beside him and doesn’t even let him answer before he continues. “I’m Taehyung, Jimin’s platonic soulmate.”

Hoseok introduces himself and Yoongi because all he does is grunt in Taehyung’s general direction.

He nudges Taehyung in the ribs to get him to stop staring at Yoongi.

In an attempt to distract the two of them, he quickly repeats their orders so they don’t notice Taehyung’s fixated stare. His hand brushes against Yoongi’s as he takes his money and he feels a burst of something run through his body.

He ignores how the blonde boy in front of him pays for Hoseok like it’s a common occurrence. Which shouldn’t be an unlikely thing because friends pay for friends, right?  

It’s no surprise that Taehyung and Hoseok get along well, with their similar energy levels and how they are on pretty similar wavelengths. By the time their coffee is ready, Hoseok and Taehyung has already planned a dinner together.

“What are you doing?” He asks Taehyung, once the hustle and bustle dies down.

“I’m refilling the syrup.” Taehyung answers him, being purposefully obtuse.

“That’s not what I mean, Tae.” He stops wiping down the counter to turn to his best friend. “I meant the thing with Hoseok.”

“Oh, you meant the dinner thing?” Taehyung gives the bottle on last shake before he turns to him. “I thought it would be a good idea so we can all bond and you can get closer to the hot, blonde in leather jacket.”

“His name is Yoongi.” He goes back to wiping so Taehyung doesn’t see how flustered he’d become just at the prospect of hanging out with Yoongi. “Since I probably can’t stop you, we should invite Joonie and Jin as well.” That way Taehyung’s attempt to matchmake wouldn’t just be focused on him.

“Oh yeah!” Taehyung tosses the empty bottle of syrup into the trashcan behind him. “Jin was pretty into him.”

They talk and laugh about Namjoon’s disastrous first meeting and he forgets about Yoongi just for a little while.


They all end up having dinner in his and Taehyung’s dorm.

Jin is in charge of dinner probably because he’s the only one who can cook without burning down the apartment and because he acts like a mother.

Namjoon offers to help as soon as he arrives.

They tease the older boy about offering only because he wants to spend some alone time with Jin.

Namjoon goes bright red and quickly follows Jin back into the kitchen.

Hoseok and Yoongi arrive, bringing along a tall muscular boy whose name is Jungkook. Apparently Hoseok seems to have adopted him, which surprises no one in particular. 

He’s seen him around campus before, probably because he’s so tall and how girls naturally flock towards him.

“Hello, Kookie, I’m Jimin.” He tests out the nickname Hoseok used and he sees how Jungkook goes red before he stutters out a quick hello in reply.

“Your dorm looks way bigger than mine.” Hoseok makes a face. “Ours is probably a third of yours.”

Jungkook snorts.

“Oh please.” Yoongi rolls his eyes. “I’ve seen your dorm. If you cleaned up once a blue moon, it’d be a lot bigger.”

 “My Jiminie, you’re my only hope.” Hoseok pleads.

 “I can’t, Hobi.” He laughs. “I’ve seen all the candy wrappers in your bag.”

 “Bullies! Every single one of you.” The rest of them laugh as Hoseok dramatically throws himself on the couch.

 Taehyung and Hoseok begin chatting and Yoongi follows them.

 He pulls his eyes away from the trio and turns to Jungkook. “Let’s sit down. With Namjoon in the kitchen it’ll probably take a while.”

 That pulls a smile out of the tall boy.

 Jungkook follows him towards the floor, near where the couch the other three occupy.

 “I think I’ve seen you in my psych course?” He turns to Jungkook.

 “Yeah.” Jungkook’s reply is a little gruff. He can’t help but grin at how shy Jungkook seemed.

 He’s tempted to coo at him. “The 10 am one right?”

 “Yeah.” The reply is still one worded but it’s not as gruff.

 “Let’s go together next time.” He suggests. “Tae wouldn’t take it with me, so I’m alone in that class.”

 “Sure.” Jungkook offers him a little smile that has him grinning in return.

The younger boy opens his mouth to say something but Hoseok cuts him off when he calls over towards them. “Jungkook, Taehyung reads the same manga you do, the really violent one with the giants.”

“Attack on Titan?” Jimin supplies.

“Yeah that one!” Hoseok grins. “I tried to watch the anime but it was so violent.”

“Chim chim said the same thing when I forced him to watch it with me.” Taehyung laughs. “He keeps closing his eyes during the best parts.”

“I don’t want to watch people getting eaten up.” He leans over Jungkook to smack Taehyung leg.

“Let’s watch it now!” Taehyung says with a smirk. “This way you guys can see how wimpy Jimin really is.”

Despite his protests and Hoseok’s weak attempts, Taehyung connects his laptop to the tv.

Taehyung yanks him onto the couch while Hoseok does the same to Jungkook.

The couch for 3 becomes a couch for 5 as Taehyung and Hoseok manhandle him and Jungkook onto the couch.

He’s focused on Yoongi’s thigh pressed against his and how the warm his side feels. He’s aware of Taehyung none too subtly pushing him against Yoongi’s side.

He gives Taehyung a look to get his friend to stop but Taehyung pretends not to see it and instead begins the episode.

The anime begins off as he vaguely remembers.

He automatically turns his head away when the titan begins to eat one of the main character’s mother and he sees Hoseok with his head buried in Yoongi’s shoulder.

Yoongi’s hand rests on Hoseok’s head, gently carding through the strands of his brown hair.

He rips his eyes away and back towards the television, feeling like he intruded on something private.

He’s glad that Taehyung and Jungkook are both too focused on the anime to notice.

He gets up from his seat and mutters excuses of checking on Namjoon and Jin before anyone can question his abruptness.

Being his best friend, it doesn’t take Taehyung long to understand the uncomfortable look on bie face. He sees the way Hoseok is curled into Yoongi and gives his hand a reassuring squeeze.

Taehyung purposefully teases him about being a scaredy cat because despite the way he seems, he’s observant and sensitive to Jimin’s feelings. He uses that as an excuse and runs to the kitchen.  

He tries to pretend he doesn’t see the half confused, half concerned look Yoongi gives him.


He offers to head towards the supermarket to pick up the garlic and cilantro Jin had been complaining about earlier.

Jin sends him a confused look but nods.

He rushes out the door before anyone can stop him.

He focuses on getting the things Jin needs. This way he doesn’t need to address the thoughts swirling around in his head.

When he gets back, Namjoon is in the living room with the others while Jin is flitting around the kitchen.

“Did you kick Namjoon out because he kept distracting you?” he teases Jin.

“Yes, but not in the way you’re thinking.” Jin huffs. “He almost cut his own finger peeling the potatoes. When I tried to get him to do something easier, like wash the rice, he poured half of it down the drain.”

He laughs and offers his help, purely because he doesn't want to see Hoseok and Yoongi curled up together.

He'll never be a great cook like Jin, but he survives and that's all that matters.

He jokes around with Jin and they finish dinner in a flash.

They all crowd around the food and Jin makes them all wash their hands before they eat.

He finds himself beside Jungkook and directly across Yoongi.

He bets this has everything to do with Taehyung giving him a sly smile on his other side.

After saying their thanks, they all begin to dig in.

“You’re allergic to cilantro.” Yoongi speaks up and stops Hoseok from taking a spoonful of steamed egg.

Yoongi has his hand stretched across the table to halt Hoseok from lifting the spoon any further. The worried look on his face is barely there but he sees it clear as there.

“Oh yeah.” Hoseok drops the spoon. “I forgot.”

“You two are pretty close.” Jin comments lightly.

“Yeah.” Hoseok grins. “We've been friends since high school. I met him when he was trying to skip class and dragged him back.”

“Like you still aren’t doing that now.” Jungkook snarks jokingly.

“I wish someone would care for me enough to do that to me.” Taehyung grumbles good naturedly.

He forces his eyes away from Yoongi’s hand still resting on Hoseok’s arm like it belonged there.

“Excuse you.” He flicks his chopsticks in Taehyung’s direction. “I’ve been dragging you to class since freshman year.”

“You don’t count.” Taehyung says with food in his mouth. “You’re my best friend.”

“Gross.” Jin scrunches up his face. “Don’t talk with your mouth full Tae.”

The others laugh as Jin uses his spoon to whack Taehyung on the back of his hand.


It becomes something like a pattern.

He brings Namjoon and Yoongi coffee, all 3 of them chat and then he hurries to class.

Namjoon has taken to complaining about how his track always seem a little off.

“Find someone else to sing it then.” Yoongi spins towards them and takes the coffee from him with a brief smile. “Thanks.”

“Taehyung sings pretty well.” He offers from the small couch in the corner.

“I’ve heard him sing before, his voice is too low for this track.” Namjoon turns to him and brightens considerably. “Jin told me you sang too, says you’re pretty good. ”

He quickly denies it and waves his arms. “No, I’m not that good, you should find someone more professional. I don’t want to ruin it.”

Namjoon shakes his head. “I’ll be the judge of that.”

“Namjoonie.” He tries to whine his way out of it but Namjoon shakes his head again.

“I made your solo track,” Namjoon prods at his shoulder. “You can at least sing for me.”

He pouts because when Namjoon used that against him, it’d be extremely petty of him if he said no. “What do you want me to sing?”

Namjoon hums a little in thought. “How about the one from BTS, the one you really liked.”

“Serendipity?” He offers.

Namjoon nods. “Yeah that one.”

He clears his throat awkwardly and steals a glance towards Yoongi, who was watching them carefully. “Here?”

Namjoon shrugs. “Do you want to do it with all the tech stuff?”

He’s tempted to say yes so there’s a glass between him and Yoongi but he’d rather get over as quickly as possible.

“I’ll just sing it here.” He tugs at the end of his sweater and closes his eyes.

The background music plays softly as he sings, he forgets about Yoongi watching him, he forgets about Namjoon listening to his every note.

Namjoon’s whistle has him popping his eyes open quickly. His eyes meet Yoongi’s and once again, he’s reminded by how piercing and intense Yoongi’s stare has always been. He blinks a few times and turns to Namjoon.

“Jimin, you’re perfect for my track.” Namjoon squeezes his shoulder softly. He can already guess how the rest of the conversation is going to go. “Who knew you could sing and dance. With your face paired with those skills, you could have easily debuted as an idol.”

He laughs. “You don’t have to butter me up, Joonie.”

“Then you’ll sing for me?” Namjoon smiles so wide his dimples show.

“Of course.” He grins back at Namjoon. “But are you sure you want me to do it?”

“Jimin,” Yoongi calls over from his seat. “Don’t you have class?”

He glances quickly at the clock beside Yoongi’s computer.  

9:50

“Dang it.” He quickly grabs at the notebook he’d thrown haphazardly on the sofa. “Thanks for reminding me Min PD. Bye Joonie, text me when you want me to come record.”

He hears both Yoongi and Namjoon laughing at him as he races out the door.

“Good call, Joon. He’s pretty good.”

He smiles for the rest of the day.


Hoseok and Taehyung have become so close that he finds Hoseok camped out on his couch more often than not.

He doesn’t mind it because he sees Yoongi more often whenever he comes to pick Hoseok up.

“Hey, Min PD.” He grins and steps back for the other man to enter. “How are you?”

“Some almost ran me over.” Yoongi runs a hand through his hair.

“What? Are you okay?” He quickly gasps and checks to make sure the blonde man is okay. “That must have been horrible.”

“I know right? I actually had my hopes up.” Yoongi says dryly.

He laughs and Yoongi’s lips quirk into a little smile. “Hobi fell asleep in the room.” He gestures towards the closed door.

Yoongi steps through the door with a shrug. “I’ll go wake him up.”

Taehyung looks up from the couch towards the two of them. “Why don’t you give him 10 more minutes. Some of the freshmen needed help with the new choreo so he’s been spending his free time helping them.”

“Aren’t you the one in charge of the freshmeat?” Yoongi asks with a frown on his face. The lighthearted atmosphere is gone in a flash. He deflates under Yoongi’s accusing stare. “Why do they have to go to Seok instead of you?”

He hears the unspoken Is it because you aren’t good enough?

He lifts his chin. “One of the seniors is in charge. I just help out whenever I can so Hoseok won’t be so busy. He said he was fine and told me to practice my own dance for the solo competition.”

“He’s not fine if he hasn’t been sleeping properly.” Yoongi’s tone is biting and Taehyung bristles. “You should have noticed if you called yourself his friend. Do you want to be the one that causes Hoseok to faint because he’s overworked?”

“Are you implying that Jimin is the one to blame?” Taehyung’s tone isn’t as casual as it was just moments ago.

He gives Taehyung a brief shake of his head and turns back to Yoongi. The blonde boy’s eyes are hard and unwelcoming. “I’m sorry, I was insensitive. I should have offered to help Hoseok when I saw how tired he was. I’ll tell the freshmen not to bother Hoseok as much.”

“Jimin!” Taehyung stands up with a huff. “Why are you-”

“Tae tae, please.” He grabs his friend’s arm to stop Taehyung before he can say anything further. “You’ll wake Hobi with the yelling.”

Taehyung levels another glare at Yoongi’s way before he settles back onto the couch.

“I’ll get you some water while you wait.” He clears his throat and gives Yoongi an awkward smile.

“No need.” Yoongi is curt. “I’ll just go take Hoseok home. He has an assignment due tomorrow so he needs to finish it first.”

Yoongi brushes past him and heads towards the closed door and he drops into the spot beside Taehyung.

He pulls himself together when he hears the door creak open.

Taehyung gives him a little nudge and drags him towards Hoseok.

He tries to put as much space between him and Yoongi as Taehyung and Hoseok exchange hugs. He’s still a little raw to be smiling at Yoongi like it’s nothing but he tries for Hoseok’s sake.

“Jimin?” Hoseok’s voice is raspy with sleep but he hears the concerned tone nonetheless.

“Hoseok,” he begins softly. “I should have offered to help when I saw that you were so tired.”

“No, no, no.” Hoseok waves his hands. “It isn’t even your responsibility. You have even less time than I do with your solo competition. Plus I heard from Taemin that you’ve been doing all nighters in the studio because the sophomores go to you instead of him.” Hoseok grabs his hands. “Just look at your eye bags, they’re way worse than mine.”

“Thank you for saying that, Hobi.” He returns the squeeze Hoseok gives him. “I’ll try to help you out whenever I have time.”  

“You know what you two should do?” Taehyung interrupts. “You should tell the seniors to actually help out instead.”

“Let’s go.” Yoongi cuts off any further conversation and nudges Hoseok towards the door.

Hoseok turns towards them as he slips on his shoes. “We’ll see you guys on Friday.”

He his head to the side. “What’s Friday?”    

“Dinner, silly.” Hoseok laughs. “Or Namjoon’s excuse to make us all drink.”

He chuckles and nods, waving bye until the door shuts.

Taehyung pulls him towards the sofa and he curls up against Taehyung’s long torso.

“You’re too soft.” Taehyung says as he knocks his head lightly against his.

“I just don’t want there to be bad feelings between you two, especially when we’re so close to Hoseok. It’ll be inevitable that we see Yoongi too.” He feels his fingers curl around Taehyung’s shirt. “Yoongi was just worried about him, so I don’t blame him.”

Taehyung sighs. “What about you? Don’t you hurt too?”

“That’s why I have you Tae, you’ll give me the cuddles I need right?” He sticks his head further into Taehyung’s chest and lets Taehyung baby him while he hurts.


“What did you do?” Hoseok shrieks as soon as the door bangs open in his studio.

He turns towards Hoseok waving his arm as he pulls the headphones from his ears. “What the , Hoseok?”

“Taehyung told me what you said to Jimin.” Hoseok angrily jabs a finger in his direction.

That . Next time he saw that lanky giraffe, he was going to teach him what-

Hoseok’s frustrated shriek cuts off any further threats he was trying to think of. “Min Yoongi!”

He groans and runs a hand through his hair. “I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true.”

“How could you think of him this way?” Hoseok points to the overflowing trash bin in the corner of the room. “He bought you all those cups of coffee with his own money and this is how you pay him back?”

“I was worked up, so I said a few things I didn’t mean.” He goes on defense, it was hard to go on offense against Hoseok. “If he has time to be working part time, he has time to be helping with his juniors.”

“He’s participating in the solo event, so he’s already practicing twice as much as everyone. He spends the most time practicing, even more than I do.” Hoseok screeches. “And you just went and implied he didn’t work hard enough!”

“You were overworking yourself, you know how you always pretend to be fine and then the next day you collapse.” He tries to be the calm, reasonable one but when he sees Hoseok’s expression, he feels the flicker of guilt in his chest light up once again.

He is aware how his careless words can hurt others, especially when he’s worked up or worried about his friends but he doesn’t purposefully set out to be an about it.

“He fainted yesterday, Yoongi.” Hoseok scrubs a hand over his face. “Fainted.”

When he can finally feel his tongue again, he says the only thing he can think of. “How did you know?”

“Taehyung called me because Jimin hadn’t been home the entire day and he was worried.” Hoseok answers him, most of his anger subsided into worry. “When we found him, he had already collapsed in the studio.”

They lapse into silence for a while, he tries to think of every excuse under the sun but he comes up blank.

“He didn’t deserve that, Yoongi.” Hoseok finally says. “If you’re not going to be nice to him, then stay away from him.”

.

He messed up.