Chapter VI; Evening Lessons

Hearts for Dinner, Souls for Dessert

After Seulgi had sat down, there was silence.

“Wow, you guys can’t even introduce yourselves?” Irene turned to Seulgi. “I’m terribly sorry for their rude behaviour! I’m Irene, the one with resting--face is Wendy, and the tall one is Joy.” Seulgi stifled a laugh as Wendy scowled at her introduction. Joy just raised an eyebrow and gave a small wave.

“And the invisible one is Yeri.” Wendy mocked Irene’s tone.

“Er, Yeri’s not feeling well so she’s up in our room.” Irene amended.

“Oh, well I hope she feels better!” Seulgi gave her sympathy.

As if on cue, Yeri showed up and sat down at their table, pulling up a chair and sitting next to Irene.

“What are you doing? You should be resting!” Irene hissed.

“I’m fine, chill. Besides, I covered up the jewels so it’s fine.” Yeri whispered back. “Who’s this?” She gestured to Seulgi.

“Oh, I’m Seulgi! You must be Yeri, nice to meet you.” Seulgi responded.

“Oh, nice to meet you! I hope you haven’t had to put up with too much trouble, I know they’re a handful.” Yeri smiled, and Seulgi laughed.

“Really, I’m enjoying it, it’s so much better than being by myself.” Seulgi said.

The four girls got along quite well with Seulgi, and even after a few minutes it felt like they had known her just as long as they had known each other. Since there were so many students, it took a while for dinner to be distributed, and it was a good fifteen minutes since they had arrived before they got food. Their meal consisted of a very wide assortment of english tea sandwiches, stuffed mushrooms, and mixed berry tarts, accompanied by rose tea.

“Man, I haven’t had rose tea in centuries!” Joy exclaimed, happily pouring herself a cup. Yeri laughed nervously.

“Really? Rose tea is one of my favourites! I drink it so often,” Seulgi laughed.

“Personally, I prefer earl grey,” Wendy kept up the conversation.

“Jasmine tea’s the best, sorry I don’t make the rules,” Yeri said, and Wendy rolled her eyes.

Meanwhile, Irene had been eating nothing but the berry tarts.

“Hey, save some for the rest of us!” Joy scolded her as she reached for her third. Irene smiled sheepishly.

Dinner went over smoothly, and soon it was time for their evening classes. Irene, Wendy, and Yeri were expected to attend these since they had had plenty of time to get settled.

“Well, since you guys are also first years, I can show you the ropes!” Seulgi grinned, leading them out of the dining hall and towards what the girls guessed was the back of the castle. “Our first evening class is etiquette. Though this is an incredibly important class, it’s also one of the most boring.”

The classroom, if you could call it that, was not far from the dining hall. It looked more like a woman’s chambers if you asked Yeri. Everything, from the carpet to the curtains, were some shade of red. It was interesting to say the least. And when their professor entered, she was equally clad in red. Even her makeup was distinctly red, and she was definitely wearing too much rouge.

“Good evening ladies, tonight we will be focusing on table etiquette, and the best way to stealthily acquire weapons, or magically induce handicaps on your enemies.” Professor Rory, as the girls learned her name was from Seulgi. Either Professor Rory didn’t notice she had four new students, or she didn’t care. Either way, Yeri was fine, because she wasn’t in the mood to introduce herself in front of a whole group of girls. Though she prefers girls, Yeri was not so delusional as to turn a blind eye to their judgemental nature.

Yeri in particular found their lesson quite interesting. Though for that lesson, they were not to practice, they would be next lesson, so Yeri paid attention. She learned a lot about how utensils could be used as weapons, and how weapons could be discreetly carried among copious skirts. Admittedly, her favourite part was when they had been shown the proper way to remove a human’s eyes using a dessert spoon. Apparently, you must be firm, or the optic nerve will not be severed properly, and thus the eye will simply hang from the socket. She had also learned that it was easiest to reach the common carotid arteries and the femoral arteries with a fork, if one was in a desperate situation.

Yeri was fairly sure that towards end when they were learning the best uses for particular silverware, she noticed Irene turning green. Irene didn’t have the strongest stomach, and Yeri also could’ve sworn she saw Seulgi, who was sitting next to Irene, whisper something to her. Apparently, what Seulgi said made Irene feel better because she went from being a bright envy green to a slightly mute shade of olive— an improvement.

Wendy, on the other hand, was as interested as Yeri, and Yeri could tell she was taking close mental note of all the different ways it was possible to kill someone with an eating utensil. Joy, however, looked like she already knew all this stuff, as if it were just common sense. All in all, Yeri decided she would keep at least a dinner fork on her.

After their hour class was over and Professor Rory had dismissed them, Seulgi informed the others that their next lesson was on fashion. Yeri visibly perked up at that statement.

“Really? This is totally my class,” she exclaimed.

Irene groaned. “I don’t the first thing about fashion!”

“It’s okay Irene, we’ll all help you.” Wendy said, trying to comfort her friend. The others agreed.

Seulgi led them down the hallway that Professor Rory’s room had been in, and the hallway led to a set of stairs. To be honest, Yeri was confused, she had thought that the stairs in the main room had lead to every floor. Apparently, she was wrong, and this set of stairs led to a completely different set of floors, the ones where all the classrooms were. After reaching what Yeri guessed was the fourth floor, the were lead down another hallway, and entered another classroom. Once again, Yeri really thought it looked more like a regular room than a classroom. Rather than the obscenely red room that Professor Rory had, this one was quite an eye full. Much like her father’s study at home, the walls were covered in concept drawings and designs in various stages. So much so that Yeri could only see patches of the gray wall behind them. Moreover, there were lots of mannequins around the room sporting different dresses from different seasons, some complete, and some deconstructed.

The five girls sat in the same arrangement as the last lesson, Wendy in the middle, Irene and Seulgi on her left, and Yeri and Joy on her right. Seulgi told them that the professor of this class was named Professor Flora. Appropriate to her name, she was wearing a floral printed dress from the latest fashion line out of Paris. She was quite pretty, and looked considerably younger than Professor Rory.

Though Yeri had been excited for this lesson, it was rather boring. They spent the whole hour listening to Professor Flora talking about the trends of last season, and how it could predict this season’s trends. Of course, this was something her father talked about a lot, so she already knew all of this. Unfortunately, Yeri was obviously not paying attention, and Professor Flora noticed. Wendy, who noticed that her friend was about to get herself into trouble, elbowed Yeri. Yeri just elbowed Wendy back and gave her a try-me- look, which was the last straw for the professor.

“Miss Yeri, since it seems like you think you know everything about this lesson already, what was the reason that designers replaced last season’s favourite with this season’s?” Professor Flora asked Yeri, annoyance seeping from her voice. Yeri’s eyes widened and her friends gave her worried looks, except for Wendy, who gave her an I-tried-to-warn-you look, and Joy, who looked amused. Yeri stood and thanked every god she could think of that she knew the answer.

 


Well, here's the first of the two chapters I'll be uploading this weekend! 

Did anyone else have a long weekend? I've really enjoyed mine, though I'll be sad to return to classes tomorrow.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and keep your eyes open for update number two later~ 

Feedback is appreciated~!

-Elly