Chapter I; Umbra Academy for Enchantresses

Hearts for Dinner, Souls for Dessert

“This is going to be so great! I will finally be able to use my magic to its full potential,” Wendy said, beaming. Wendy was the thinnest of the three girls in the carriage, but not the tallest. That was Irene, and she definitely wouldn’t let the other two girls forget it. Of the three, Irene was also the palest. Much to the chagrin of those around her, Irene prefered to wear her wavy red hair down. A proper lady wasn’t supposed to wear her hair down when she was out and about. At least that’s what her parents told her. Irene, however, really couldn’t’ve given less of a about that. She thought her hair framed her face quite nicely, and intended to show it off. Wendy and Yeri both had straight black hair, though Wendy’s was longer. No matter the length, both girls were not fond of their hair as they were less carefree about appearances than Irene, which meant they had to sleep with curlers. That was a real pain in their because it sure as hell wasn’t comfortable. As for fashion, well that was a different story. Irene may have been the doll of the group, but if you asked Wendy, she may as well have been the plague of fashion. More times than not, Wendy and Yeri had to help Irene dress, and the times they didn’t, Irene would pull some crazy stunt like wearing a dress from three seasons ago with clashing patterns. To say the least, she was fashionably challenged, and perhaps that was putting it a bit nicely. Yeri, on the other hand, was the opposite. She had the trends before they started, though that could be attributed to the fact that her father was an extremely successful fashion designer, and Yeri was his favourite advertisement scheme. Yeri didn’t really mind, she enjoyed fashion. Albeit sometimes the trends were a bit ridiculous. Currently, the three friends were all wearing dresses fresh out of Milan, part of Yeri’s father’s newest unreleased collection. Wendy’s dress was royal blue with a bodice of lace in an off-the-shoulder cut. The skirt had layers of different shades of blue tulle. Strewn about the entirety of the dress were pearls, diamonds, and sapphires. Irene’s dress was a pale pink with a white bodice made of lace roses. The skirt was also littered with white rose appliques and  pink diamonds. Yeri’s dress was deep purple with a top layer of black mesh. The sleeves were sweeping, and covered in amethysts. The bottom of the skirt was decorated with small butterflies of various shades of purple.

 

“Wendy, you’re only excited because you have your velvet aura,” Yeri complained with a pout.

“Oh, come on Yeri! You should be excited too. Maybe they can help you with your white aura?” Wendy replied, grimacing a bit at the last part. Irene shot her a you-know-that’s-a-sensitive-topic look, and Yeri just huffed in response.

Everyone was born with a white coloured aura. Somewhere between the ages of one and eighteen, the aura would develop and become coloured. Typically, the owners magical aptitude was directly linked to the colour of their aura. Of course, this meant there was a power hierarchy. At the top were metaloid auras. Gold, silver, bronze, these were incredibly powerful, and incredibly rare auras. It was even an extreme rarity to see it amongst people in positions of power. Metalloid auras had a tendency towards holiness, so more often than not, those owners became parts of the church. Under metalloid auras were velvet auras, like Wendy’s. Velvet auras were a mixture of different shades of one colour. In Wendy’s case, that was blue. Arguably as rare as metalloid auras, velvet auras also held a capacity for immense power. However, velvet auras had a darker tendency, and a fair amount of owners became corrupted, or criminals. After that were the normal auras. In terms of power, primary coloured auras were strongest and tertiary coloured auras were the weakest, with the secondary coloured auras being average. Most of the population had secondary coloured auras. Irene had a pure red coloured aura, which, like Wendy, showed a strong aptitude for magic. And then there was Yeri. Yeri, who was eighteen, still had a white aura. While this was not completely unheard of, there were less than ten documented cases. Truthfully, Yeri was scared out of her mind. White auras were basically equated to magical impotence. She prayed to every god she knew that it was just some weird defect and that she would gain her aura soon.

Thus far, their journey had not been very eventful, and besides small chat and napping, not much had occurred. At least that was the case until the plush green knolls started turning into the rough seas and dull sands.

“Guys . . .” Wendy spoke up, “Why are we by the ocean? Does anyone even know where the school actually is?”

Now that they thought about it, they really knew next to nothing about the school they were to attend. All they knew was that it was for witches, and that it had a brother school, to which Irene’s brother attended. Wendy was correct in the fact that they were by the ocean, but she didn’t realize just how close they were going to get. As they got closer and closer to the sand, the girls became more and more suspicious. They had every right to be suspicious, because soon they actually turned onto the sand. Thankfully, magic seemed to be in use, for the ride was still completely smooth. Unfortunately, much to the three friends’ horror, the carriage was driving right towards the ocean.

 


Hello everyone! Thank you so much for all the support you've been giving this story~ Here's the official first chapter. I'm sorry it's so short, but I'm hoping to maybe have another update up by the end of today! Please comment with feedback if you have any, I'm always open to suggestions~