First encounter

What Is Love

This seemingly ordinary tale begins an early morning in March when I, an ordinary fifteen-year-old boy going by the name of Lucas, was sliding across the hallways of Saint Andrew's college. In this sea of hormonal teenagers, there I was, sprawled on the floor like a wrecked ship. Everyone was laughing because somehow, to them, this daily routine was funny.

"So, glasses! Still, don't want to do my assignment?"

That voice, laced with mockery and what I would call plain stupidity, belongs to none other than Will Collins. Who is Will, you might ask. Well, aside from all the other titles I've given him, this six feet tall giant is the captain of the basketball team and Casanova of Lunch period who happens to also be the only international student of the 2012 first years. He got the looks, the body and all it is that the girls usually seek, except for the brains. Ain't really complicated, right?

Will and I had a history going way back to the very first day when he stepped here, funny accent and all. He received everyone's undivided attention immediately whereas I, timid and socially awkward by nature, stuck to the walls in hopes that I'd reach my classroom without making a fool of myself. I thought that my dark attire and the messy nest on my head would be enough camouflage but someone up there had apparently been keeping an eye on me... As I crawled past my fellow schoolmates, both seniors and juniors, I made the mistake of stepping on my own shoelaces. And who happens to be in the trajectory of my open bottle and books? You don't need a drawing, right?

Well, since that day, we sort of became acquainted on a personal level... way too personal, shall I add. He was after all the only one who had ever known my ribs this much. And on that day too, he wanted to say hi... because I sort of refused to work on his assignment while he went on a date with his Miss World of a girlfriend, Nadia. You would think I'd learned to shut my mouth after five years. But no; stupid Lucas just had to open it.

Groaning, I pulled myself slightly up, fists pressed down. To be crouched like this, on the floor, filled me with a familiar sense of humiliation; I was reminded yet again that I was destined to be weak, in more ways than one. And the fact that no one dared to speak against Will proved that that was indeed where I belonged.

"Say, freak. I think it's been a while since you've visited Grade 10's toilet."

Those words were like a splash of ice cold water to my aching body, enough to have me momentarily forget the pain. A shiver ran down my spine, bringing me to a state of paralysis, even as he pulled me up by the collar.

The Grade 10's toilet had been previously shut down due to lack of proper maintenance. Over the years, that part of the school could no longer bear the hyperactive nature of its young residents. Public access had been denied to the place since the priority of our principal had never been to renovate it. But kids of my generation ain't afraid to break an old dusty lock...

It was a dark, cold place that I knew all too well thanks to Will's generosity. The dust and the horrible stench of decaying animals and feces stuck to one's skin for days. Last Thursday itself, I had been subjected to the horror of it all... again. Worst scenario, I would be stuck in that hell of a place all day instead of getting an education. My survival instinct kicked in and I began to struggle against his hold.

"No, no, no. Please, no! I'll do your assignment and even all your homework for next week! Just, don't leave me there, please!" I pleaded, nails biting into the rough skin of his arms. They'd leave marks, for certain, but that didn't matter at the moment. The stage was set, the spotlight was on and the show was to go on.

"Oh, look! He finally talks."

The crowd only laughed louder in response, some even clapping in the corner of my eyes. They admired him and despised me. It was the way things were supposed to be.

As I continued to struggle, my eyes caught sight of two familiar faces; Josh and Paul. These were my best friends, or might I precise the only friends that hell of a place ever gave me. But even they, with their clenched fists and furrowed eyebrows, dared not face big Will. Last time they did, we had all ended up with ripped uniforms and swear words marked over our faces... It was their gaze that had my arms fall limp. There was no point in changing the script, not when the curtain had already been pulled up. Nothing could be done so all I had to do was shut everything out.

The crowd faded. Josh and Paul faded. Will faded. The laughter faded... All that was left was me and the darkness, my only safe place. Everything that was going on blurred away because what use was there in remembering it? Yesterday was but a reflection veiled by dust and fake hope; to join the pile like those that had preceded it. Tomorrow had nothing new to offer, did it? Then, I just had to skip to the credits-

"Let him go."

This voice, it was my first time hearing it. It reached through the dark, grabbed my hand and pulled me back to reality before I could even protest. And then, she was there; petite silhouette, caramel waves, and daffodil tainted eyes. It was the first time my gaze had come to rest on such an angelic face. If it were not for her confident stance, I would have mistaken her for a junior. Coffee drops lightly sprinkled over her nose and rosy cheeks, plump red lips... A foreigner? Again?

My gaze moved to her right hand, which was a red phone. She had something playing, which made everyone, without any exception, attentive. It took me a moment to realize that it was our previous conversation, with much emphasis on Will's threats. Confusion filled me as I looked at this stranger, the reflection of our face in each other's eyes for a split of a second. A scene no one had seen coming...

"And what do you think this will do?" asked a smirking Will, but his jaws were visibly clenched; this unexpected situation had set him off balance. He gulped, grip on my collar loosening a bit. He forced on a tough appearance but really, he was shaking beneath the surface. I was taken aback.

"I could send this to the principal and have you expulsed but I don't like your tone so I might send it to someone I know who works at the radio station. Imagine this ending up on every news channel and every university turning you down. Bye-bye, good life."

Not once did her voice falter, which made everything even more surprising. She clearly had the upper hand and all we could do was watch in awe, especially me. To have someone stand up for me like this... It stirred in me an emotion I had never felt before.

"Cherry, you wouldn't dare." said someone from behind her. A pause after the first word, long enough to catch my attention. But it was not in an entirely good way, for even if the name held some kind of brightness, it seemed to me that it did no justice to the sun that was this girl. It was merely a flash of lightning, hiding the growls of thunder and the heavy clouds with which it comes. And just as the thought occurred to me, it was gone.

"Test me, I dare you all." she challenged, glaring at the crowd. "I'm not watching any bullying like the rest of you. So you all better believe trouble is on the way... for keeping your stupid lips shut."

Whispers began to rise, worry clear on everyone's face. If they ever considered siding up with Will before, their resolution was crumbling under Cherry's threat. They'd let him fall if it meant them coming out without a scratch. Oh, don't you love hypocrites!

"He threatened me!" came a shout, soon followed by a messy chorus. My eyes surveyed all those frowning faces, lips stretched wide in anger and guilt. Those same lips had cheered as trails of red rushed down my skin, patches of blue and black growing a shade darker. Those hands had been raised higher than my cries and prayers, a deafening echo as the consciousness would slip away. Now they stayed crossed, demanding justice.

"Me too!"

"Yeah, me too!"

"That's no excuse for you to applaud him while he's terrorizing someone." simply replied Cherry, turning my way. Her chocolate eyes held pity as they took in my messed up hair, bruised cheek, and limp figure. I felt bare in front of her but, for the first time, it was not in a bad way... "Now let him go or I'll really send it."

Will slowly turned to me, then back to Cherry. I could almost see the cogs turning in his mind, weighing the damage and consequences. But as stupid as he was, Will knew what would work in his favor.

Slowly and clearly unwillingly, he let go of my collar and stepped away from me. His fists were clenched, veins rising up his arms, but unlike before, he kept them to himself.

I felt a hand go around my shoulder and my nostrils picked on a fruity scent. I looked to my side, where Cherry was already smiling at me and my heart skipped another beat. A blush crept to my cheeks, for I had never been so close to any girl... ever. I looked away, embarrassed, but I could not help the small smile on my face.

"Hepepep!" shouted Cherry just as Will was about to turn on his heels to leave. "You apologize first, mister."

Disbelief flashed in Will's eyes as he stared at the two of us. Even the others gasped at her request, whispering to themselves. Will had a reputation of never apologizing, even when he was obviously in the wrong. But as tough as he was, Cherry was even tougher. Yeah, that girl's always been something...

"I really want to press that button. What'ya say?" she asked me, nearing the phone to my face. Her thumb lingered on the send button, but what no one else could see was that she had already sent the recording. What was she playing at?

Just as I noticed it, the phone was snatched out of her hand, another wave of gasps erupting around us. Will looked proud of himself as he repeatedly tossed the red device up. His friends clapped for him, smirking at Cherry and me, thinking that they had regained the upper hand. I once again looked like a loser... But for the first time, I did not quite feel like one.

"No one plays with me and leaves unscathed, Cherry-pie." The smirk on his face was filled with cruelty and malice. I could almost see all the plans of revenge he had in store for us. And I don't know why but I moved forward, shielding her from Will.

"You might want to take a closer look at the screen, rubber boy." fake yawned Cherry as she peeped from behind my back. "What I did not tell you is that said acquaintance happens to be my dad. I'm sure he'll write you a very long report full of praises if I return home with a broken phone."

All the color drained from Will's face as realization eventually set in. His legs even shook slightly as he handed back the phone. And I, in all the years I have known Will, had never seen him look as vulnerable... and that was saying a lot.

Just then the bell rang, forcing everyone to scatter. But not before we all heard an anger-filled "I'm sorry, Lucas." Will dashed towards the main gate, soon followed by his minions, but I was still in shock when Cherry turned to me, laughing. I had to tilt my head down to look at her and my yellow-sleeved arms instantly itched to circle her frame. But I held myself back and offered her a brief but grateful smile instead.

"Thank you."

My voice was barely a whisper, probably groggy from the unshed tears and all the pressure I had previously felt, but her smile widened in return, reassuringly. My face turned even more red at the sight of it; she was breathtakingly beautiful.

"Don't mention it. I was glad to be your damsel in shining armor."

And with that, she rose her fist up, lightly aiming at my heart. It did not even last a second but I swear the tingles burned through my soul, forever marking this day into my memory. My eyes trailed after this angel, her voice still stuck in my head long after we parted. Josh and Paul eventually grabbed onto my arms and pulled me to class, all the while discussing the event, just like everyone else. They were all struck by the courage of this new girl. But I barely heard them or the teacher; all I could think about was the one person who helped me when I was a knight in distress.

Little did I know about how different this girl really was...