14. Present Memories

Jamais deux sans trois
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

14. Present Memories

 

 

"Do you have any preference?" Sehun turned to ask her.

 

 

Seulgi shrugged as they continued to walk aimlessly in the streets. It was a sunny morning and the streets were full of people. Sehun had decided to leave his car in Seulgi's apartment building's parking lot so they could walk instead because the temperature was great for once even though November was close to its end. It was a bit chilly but it didn't seem to bother the people who decided to go out to enjoy the sun rays. 

 

Seulgi was hesitantly walking by Sehun's side, quickly pushing herself to one side, walking facing another side, avoiding a hand or someone's phone at any moment. She was making sure to not walk too close to Sehun to not unconsciously touch his arm or graze his hand all the while trying to not bump into the strangers walking in the streets. It only left her a little space to walk and it sure wasn't comfortable to constantly move in fear or touching Sehun and make things awkward but that was the least she could do to not make him uncomfortable.

 

 

"I don't mind," Seulgi said as she took quick steps to match his longer ones. She had forgotten that one of his steps was almost the same as three from her because of his long legs. There was also the fact that Seulgi had never been a fast walker and that Sehun always forgot how small she was and left her behind that they used to hold hands to match each other's pace. It was never perfect and most of the time, Sehun had to drag her when they went for a sudden walk but Seulgi had to admit she missed it as she quickly walked behind Sehun's tall frame. it was either telling him to slow down or to keep her unnatural fast walk until she would get tired because she wasn't going to ask Sehun to hold his hand.

 

"I don't mind either," Sehun admitted as he looked around to find a nice café. "Is there anything you want to eat in particular?"

 

"Not really."

 

"Me neither, that's a problem."

 

Seulgi pursed her lips to think of somewhere to go and tried to find something to say but remained silent out of habit. There was a place she was thinking of but she didn't want Sehun to be weirded out by the idea. It wasn't supposed to be anything deep and she certainly didn't have any ulterior motives but Seulgi just missed that restaurant they used to eat at lunch in front of their old school and never had the opportunity or felt the need to go back to it before today. It would be nice to be able to talk to him, face to face and reveal the thoughts she had been keeping for herself since their sudden night at the hotel  in a place she was familiar with. Maybe it would help them feel more comfortable.

 

Why do feel like I am always overthinking with him?

 

Seulgi was still daydreaming when she crashed into Sehun's back for walking quickly without looking.

 

"I'm sorry—"

 

"I think I know," Sehun said without really noticing Seulgi's flustered cheeks. 

 

"Know what?" she asked, still feeling a bit embarrassed for that last incident and promising herself to stay more alert of her surroundings. Seulgi didn't notice that Sehun had stopped in the middle of the street and simply kept walking in hope of catching with his steps.

 

"I know where we need to go," he said with a smile.

 

Seulgi followed him without asking since she had already given up on her previous idea and noticed that Sehun drastically slowed down after she bumped into him. Either he was looking for the route to use to go where he wanted or he realized just like her that their walking pace was just too different.

 

"Is it far?" Seulgi asked after a few minutes of complete silence from both of them. She couldn't bear the awkward silence anymore.

 

"I don't think so, just a bit more,” Sehun answered before checking the directions on his phone again. "It should still be here."

 

"Still?"

 

 

Sehun nodded. She wasn't sure but Seulgi saw the corners of his lips turn upward for a millisecond. Seulgi was surprised to see him smile out of nowhere.

 

They continued to walk in silence side by side as less and less people crowded the streets. Seulgi didn't have to move to avoid bumping into them anymore and casually walked next to Sehun while looking at the scenery arround them. This neighborhood was familiar but she couldn't pinpoint exactly what about it was since she couldn't recognize the shops but she was sure that she used to get off at a bus stop on the corner of the street. Certains things were like she remembered them but others were completely new which only worsened her confusion.

 

"Sehun have you brought me here before?" she asked before frowning at a bus sign she was sure to have seen before. "I think I know this place."

 

"Of course you know it, you brought me here," he said before pointing to a park.

 

"I did?" Seulgi asked. 

 

"You don't remember this place? I know many things changed since the last time we came— was it 4 years ago? But it shouldn't be so different."

 

 

Seulgi pursed her lips as she focused on the park he showed her. 

 

 

"This park was in front of a store," she thought out loud. "No way," Seulgi suddenly gasped. "Is it what I think it is?"

 

"What are you thinking of?" Sehun chuckled.

 

"The Tea House Café!"

 

 

Seulgi explained to him that it was the place she wanted to go from the start but that she was scared he would be creeped out by the idea. He laughed and reassured her that he was a bit nervous too to choose a place they used to go in the past but he just went along with it because they had nowhere else to go.

 

Seulgi realized it was easier to talk to him as they continued their walk towards the café. Since they got stuck in that hotel room together and were obligated to face their problems, things were a lot smoother between Seulgi and Sehun. There was no need for that useless façade they always had. It was still awkward and many times she didn't know what to do or how to react but nonetheless, it was better. 

 

 

“What do you want to eat?” he asked as he reviewed the same old menu he used to order from a few years ago. He did it out of habit, it’s not like Sehun didn’t know what he was going to take.

 

“Sehun,” Seulgi hesitantly started. “Do you remember the Tea of Honesty?” she said before pointing to Sehun’s fuming cup of green tea.

 

“You mean that game you came up with back then?”

 

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

 

“You want to do it?” Sehun asked a bit surprised as Seulgi responded with a second nod. 

 

“If you don’t mind, then yes.”

 

“It’s fine, I don’t mind. Do you want to start?”

 

Seulgi gulped.

 

'Tea of honesty' was something they only did when they came to this restaurant and used this game Seulgi invented when they had something to say but didn’t have the courage to say it for different reasons. Because the game assured them the other couldn't get mad at all until their cup of tea was empty, it was easier to discuss and let the anger die down. It didn’t happen often back then but when Sehun and Seulgi fought, they would come to this restaurant without exchanging words, sit down silently and avoid talking to each other before taking a sip of the heart warming tea the old lady poured for them each and every time. They avoided to talk to not say things they would regret and instead waited to calm down by drinking the tea before revealing the things that made them upset. It was a childish game and it wasn't much, it was just tea, but it helped them a lot back them.

 

"I am not hungry at all," Seulgi revealed. "I'm not hungry but I really wanted to come here so I didn't say anything but I don't think I could swallow anything," she continued with flushed cheeks. "I am too nervous."

 

"I make you nervous?"

 

"Yes, but it's not your fault," she reassured him as soon. "It's the whole situation that makes me like that. It's natural I guess," she shrugged. "I feel like my stomach is not only churning but trying to make a hole in my body."

 

"That doesn't sound very healthy," Sehun pointed out.

 

"Oh I got used to it. It was worse at Hyunseol's wedding and I survived."

 

"I'll admit that I am not too hungry myself," Sehun smiled as he pushed the menu aside. "Do you think we can just stay here and order nothing?"

 

"She won't get mad," Seulgi smiled back. "Well, I think. We never know," she giggled.

 

 

Sehun smiled again with the same timid smile he gave her every time before looking down because he was a bit shy or felt self-conscious. He was probably as nervous as her but he surely had a lot more control on it than her.

 

 

"Sehun, I thought a lot last week," she said as Sehun's head jerked up. "And I don't understand a few things after all."

 

He was giving her all his attention but he remained silent as he listened to her words.

 

 

"At first I thought you were pretty dumb and got mad again."

 

"You were planning to explain this, right?" Sehun asked with a tone that indicated her that he was only half joking.

 

 

"Of course," Seulgi nervously said. "I'll be honest, I didn't understand why you kept all this to yourself, it didn't make sense at all when I heard it— and it still doesn't by the way, but then I started thinking a bit more and maybe," she paused. Seulgi tapped onto her warm tea cup. "Maybe it was destiny."

 

"Destiny?" Sehun repeated with a raised eyebrow. "Of all things?"

 

"I know I sound naïve and the whole idea is probably very childish considering all the possible reasons why you kept this to yourself but don't you think it was maybe what was supposed to happen after all? We were meant to break up, Sehun," she finally said. Seulgi let out a long sigh that she didn't know she was holding after saying all this and the corners of her lips turned upwards. She didn't think she would be able to say it even if she spent hours thinking of their sit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter