Leave Us To Fate

Can You Hear My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The walk back is full of Mingyu teasing Miyoung about liking the kiss a tad too much, while the latter tries to block her thoughts. He had convinced her to let him walk her back to her dorms, and Miyoung couldn’t refuse when he looked at her with big blinking eyes. She tried not to show just how weak she is for him, but her thoughts betrayed her. So, she just melted under her boyfriend’s gaze; she still can’t believe that Mingyu is her boyfriend, and took the hand he offered her.

They part ways when they reach the dormitories, Mingyu adorably kissing her cheek before scurrying away. Miyoung bites down a smile as she walks the stairs to her dorm, the smile still threatening to break into her face even when she reaches her dorm and enters inside. She finds Lynn on her desk, watching something in her phone while effectively ignoring the notes scattered in front of her. Miyoung halts her steps, realizing how she isn’t sure about Lynn’s reaction over her dating Mingyu. She knows her best friend would be happy for her, but she also remembers how the latter said she didn’t want to set Miyoung with Mingyu because she doesn’t want to be left alone. That might have been said as a joke, but Miyoung still felt worried about her friend’s reaction.

“Oh, babe, you’re here.” Lynn says when she notices her friend by the door, she pulls her legs off her desk and puts her phone back to her pocket. “Took you long enough.”

Miyoung laughs awkwardly, throwing her bag beside her bed before going to sit on it. “Yeah I was with Mingyu.”

Lynn smirks slyly at that. “With Mingyu, you say.” Her tone is teasing and she’s wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Miyoung rolls her eyes, wondering why for even a second she worried about her friend. “Yeah actually, something happened.”

“Really?” Lynn yells excitedly, before running to sit on her bed, taking her pillow between her arms and hugging it. “Tell me all about it.”

Miyoung tells Lynn about his confession when they had lunch together, and about the hug and the notes and their bickering, leaving nothing out till the last detail of their kiss. Not forgetting about the sweet gesture of walking her to the dorm and then pecking her cheek. Lynn jumps on her bed excitedly while listening to her friend, eyes big and curious and by the end of it she’s jumping on Miyoung and knocking the breath out of her.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU ARE DATING YOUR CRUSH.”

“And you’re crushing me.” Miyoung wheezes, trying to push Lynn off her, who just tightens her hold.

“NO, YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND, THAT WAS SO CUTE! I CAN’T.”

“That’s cool and all, but if I die I won’t be dating him anymore, so please.”

Lynn finally loosens her hold from her friend, but she keeps hugging her as she sways the both of them back and forth. “I am so happy.” Lynn squeals.

Miyoung beams. “Me too.”

“Okay, but when are you actually going to his ?”

“I hate you.”

 

 

 

The next day, instead of going to sit two rows in front of the two girls, Mingyu joins Lynn and Miyoung at their row. Miyoung beams when she sees him while Lynn frowns, and Mingyu watches with a bemused expression as Lynn tries to slip down the table and run away. Miyoung pulls her friend upward though, holding her arm in a tight hold as she turns to smile back at Mingyu. “What are you doing just standing there? Sit down.”

Mingyu sits hesitantly beside his girlfriend, staring worriedly at Lynn who’s thinking about how dirty the wall is, which indicates how hard she is trying to block Mingyu from her thoughts. “What’s wrong with her?” Mingyu whispers to Miyoung, who rolls her eyes.

“She’s still bitter that you can hear her thought, and she thinks it’s all unfair and .”

I have every right to think that, like why does he get to have my dream ability while all I get is… nothing actually… this; Lynn thinks and Mingyu chuckles. The sound goes unnoticed by Lynn who’s too far into her thought, but Miyoung who hears him directs him a questioning look.

“You would think she’s mad cause I know stuff about her and all, but she’s just jealous that I can hear thoughts and she can’t.”

Miyoung laughs. “She prolly wants to hear Wonwoo’s thoughts so she gets to know him more and woo him somehow.”

Wonwoo him;

“Don’t say it Lynn, it’s not funny.” Mingyu warns.

Lynn’s eyes look mischievous, as she sticks her tongue out at Mingyu. “You mean Wonwoo him.”

Miyoung scoffs at her and Mingyu shakes his head. “At least I tried to stop her.”

“YOU CAN’T STOP THIS.” Lynn exclaims.

“I don’t know if I should warn you about her obnoxious moods or if you are already familiar with them.” Miyoung mutters.

“Oh, I am too familiar with them.”

“Wonwoo.” Lynn deadpans, and doesn’t realize what she said until both Miyoung and Mingyu are staring at her weirdly. “, I meant to say Mingyu. .”

“You are truly a lost case, honey.” Miyoung says.

“No, I am not. That was totally an accident. Mingyu listen, I am not insane.” Lynn tries to reason.

“Lynn.” Mingyu starts with a calm voice. “You are only making it worse.”

That makes the girl shut up, as she pouts and slumps down on her place. Silence falls down on the three for a while, before Mingyu suddenly sighs. “Lynn, stop trying to explain yourself.”

Lynn smiles at him guiltily, shrugging when Miyoung sends her a look. Soon after the teacher enters the class, and Mingyu is glad as that makes Lynn focus on the lesson rather than trying to drill to his head that she’s not obsessed with Wonwoo or something. But focusing comes hard to Miyoung, who’s trying to not freak out over sitting beside Mingyu for the first time. The latter catches her thoughts even with her attempts at blocking them anyway, and smirks. He brushes his hand with hers from under the table, and when he hears Miyoung thinking that it would be okay from him to hold her hand, he takes it into his, intertwining their fingers before focusing back on the lesson.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When lunch comes, Lynn suggests to the two that they go have lunch alone since she doesn’t want to ruin their time together. Mingyu is about to refuse, seeing as how Lynn is already panicking about having to eat alone, but Miyoung is already smacking the back of her friend’s head and dragging her with them. “Try saying some bull like that and I’ll throw you off our dorm’s balcony.” Miyoung warns.

“Look, I was just being considerate and didn’t want to third wheel.” Lynn explains.

“If anything, it’s me who feels like the third wheel.” Mingyu admits, watching as Miyoung throws her arm around Lynn’s shoulder and the other hugs her waist.

“I guess you just have live with the fact that your girlfriend loves me more than she will ever love you.” Lynn tells him with a smirk and wiggling brows.

Mingyu turns to look at Miyoung, pouting at her. “Tell me that what she said isn’t true.”

Miyoung purses her lips. But I don’t lie.

“I can’t believe you.” Mingyu says in exasperation.

Lynn laughs. “I can’t read minds, yet I know that Miyoung just told you she doesn’t lie.” Miyoung beams at that, pulling Lynn closer to her. “This is why I will always love her more than you.” Miyoung reasons and Mingyu rolls his eyes in fake irritation, but his lips twitch in a smile at the two best friends.

 

 

 

 

“Why don’t I set you with Wonwoo?” Mingyu suggests during lunch. Miyoung cheers excitedly at that. “That sounds like such a good ing idea. I am dating a genius.”

“No, thanks.” Lynn mumbles, stuffing her face with food to block whatever thoughts she’s trying to hide from Mingyu. The latter raises his eyebrow in confusion and curiosity at her behavior as Miyoung wails a why.

Lynn shrugs, but her thoughts fail her and Mingyu is able to catch her thinking that she’s just basically signing herself up for heartbreak and that if Wonwoo were to notice her he would have done so without his friend interfering. It’s better to stare from the sideline than show interest and get rejected, plus I am probably not his style or something.

Mingyu is about to knock some sense into Lynn when Miyoung threatens. “Don’t tell me it’s your bull of ‘it’s better to stare from the sideline than get rejected’ again.” And it’s safe to say that Mingyu is spooked at how accurate Miyoung’s statement is. Maybe mind reading isn’t needed when it comes to these two friends.

Lynn’s eyes widen for a split second, before she’s shaking her head violently. “Of course not. I just don’t know if I am ready to talk to him yet.”

And that’s where Lynn’s lies show. If Mingyu were to choose the best kind of liars he had encountered, he would choose Lynn’s kind. He will always prefer outright honest like Miyoung, but he knew that there weren’t much people like her. But in Lynn’s case, and from what he noticed thus far from all her thoughts, she only lies in three cases. Trivial situations like lying about forgetting to turn in an assignment, situations where she felt like the other person is better off not knowing so to not hurt their feelings she would give half the truth or deter the story. And lastly situations where she would lie about things concerning her, so she doesn’t worry people. Mingyu has heard her in the phone with her brother Mark, who’s way back in LA, telling him that she’s doing just fine right after she has been questioning life and asking for the sweet release of death.

That’s exactly why Mingyu sighs and mutter to Miyoung that her stupid friend is bullting her. Miyoung glares at Lynn with that, who has the audacity to be glaring at Mingyu. “Why would you tell her?” Lynn hisses at the boy.

“Why would you lie?” Miyoung fires back and Lynn pouts, Miyoung shakes her head at her before saying. “You can’t know if you will be rejected if you don’t try. And Mingyu isn’t going to go tell Wonwoo you have a crush on him off the bat or something, he will just try to work something up to have you interact and maybe start something with that. So just let him do that.”

Lynn slumps in her chair, folding her arms over her chest and obviously on the edge of giving in. Mingyu smirks at her thoughts, and how close she is to agreeing, so he says. “Don’t overthink it Lynn, and just let me work my magic.”

Lynn huffs, staring back at Mingyu before finally sighing. “Okay as you wish.”

Miyoung beams, high fiving Mingyu. “I can’t wait for our double dates.”

Lynn scoffs. “Don’t get ahead of yourself sweetheart.”

 

 

 

 

 

Mingyu jumps on Wonwoo the first chance he gets, which is on their way back to the dorms. Wonwoo gives him a side glance. “What is it Kim Mingyu?”

Mingyu bites his lips, chuckling nervously. “How’d you know I have something to say?”

Wonwoo scoffs at the ridiculous question. “You might be able to read minds, but you are an open book yourself.”

“Your favorite book.” Mingyu winks at his friend who pinches his arm. “Too far.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Mingyu laughs. “Well you see there’s this friend of mine that I wanted to introduce you to.”

Wonwoo raises his eyebrow in mild curiosity, but his expression still looks disinterested. “And why would you do that?”

And to be honest, maybe Mingyu gave himself too much credit. Because he is no way subtle, or good with words. And Wonwoo always has a way to know exactly what scheme his friend is up to. So, the latter doesn’t really know how’s he’s going to pull this up. Especially when Wonwoo is staring at him as if he’s the one with the mind reading abilities.

“You know,” Mingyu draws, almost tripping over his feet from his nerves. “You just both have similar interest and I thought I would set you up and-“

Set who up?

“-I mean introduce you to each other. In a friendly way. No setting. The only thing setting is me setting myself on fire.” Mingyu babbles nervously, almost literally burning under the scrutinizing gaze of his friend.

“I thought no more convincing me into blind dates?” Wonwoo asks unamused, and his tone almost sounds like a scolding mother, even with his rich deep voice.

“You say that as if I ever succeeded to get you on one.” Mingyu sulks.

“I mean I did tell you that I don’t care that you read mind as long as you don’t tell me about people’s thoughts or try to set me up with someone because you know they have a crush on me, didn’t I?”

Mingyu has royally ed up at this point, because there is no point in not telling Wonwoo now that the person he’s talking about in fact does have a crush on him, when Wonwoo seems like he guessed it already. And plus, Mingyu doesn't see another way to convince him. Lynn will have his ing neck.

“Look but I never witnessed someone having such a crush on anyone ever. She literally likes everything about you, and I want you to be with someone who appreciates you for everything that you are so much. And I wasn’t lying when I said you have similar interest.”

Wonwoo sighs. “I don’t think someone like that exists.”

“Oh but she does, and she genuinely loves you so much. And she’s a good person, she’s my girlfriend’s best friend.”

“Your what now?” Wonwoo shrieks, staring at Mingyu with shocked wide eyes.

And this is how instead of going to their designated dorms, Mingyu follows Wonwoo to his. Where he tells him the whole story with Miyoung, from the day she found out he can read minds to the current day.

“I can’t believe she just randomly was like what if someone can read minds.” Wonwoo says in amazement.

“Oh, that was actually her best friend.” Mingyu says. “Who by the way ignored me because I heard her pinning over you. It was fun hearing her chant ‘Don’t think of Jeon Wonwoo’ throughout every two hours lecture we share.”

Wonwoo grimaces, not sure if he feels sorry for Mingyu for having to hear that or for the girl for having to block her thoughts for the whole duration. “ to be any of you.”

Mingyu chuckles. “It’s all fine now. Even though she was mad at me this morning.”

“Because you can hear her thoughts?”

“Oh no, because I have her ‘dream’ ability.” Mingyu says with a laugh, making quotation marks with his hands.

Wonwoo hums with a chuckle, and Mingyu starts smirking. “I can hear you thinking that she sounds interesting.”

“And I can hear you begging for mercy when I strangle you.” Wonwoo threatens.

Mingyu shudders at the thought, pouting at his older friend. “So, there’s no way of you accepting this? Come on, I am no match maker, but you are ing made for each other, I just see it.”

“If we really are then we will meet eventually on our own, without you getting in the middle of it.”

Mingyu gasps in offence. “You don’t trust me?”

Wonwoo shrugs. “I trust fate more than you.”

“I sometimes forget that you are a romanticist, even with all the romance novels you have read.”

Wonwoo snickers. “It’s the face, isn’t it?”

“It is.” Mingyu agrees teasingly.

 

 

 

 

 

The next lunch with Miyoung and Lynn, Mingyu comes bearing sad news that he can’t be setting Lynn with Wonwoo. He gives them a summary of what happened and Miyoung titles him the worst wingman in existence. Lynn assures him that it’s fine and that she wasn’t hot about the idea to begin with, but Mingyu’s heart sinks when he can hear her disappointed thoughts.

“Just grow a pair and talk to him.” Miyoung says and Lynn burst out laughing, as if what her friend suggested is the funniest, most ridiculous thing that was ever said to her.

“Are you dumb, huh? Are you dumb?” Lynn asks. “Why didn’t you grow a pair and talk to Mingyu when you were pinning on him, huh?”

“I didn’t have to.” Miyoung teases with a wink and Mingyu hears Lynn thinking about smacking her friend with the tray on the table so he pulls said tray a bit farther from her reach. Lynn notices that, so she sends him a glare before saying. “I will just go back to my pinning, thanks for the effort.”

“I think the not.” Miyoung mutters and Mingyu agrees. “Just talk to him Lynn.” He says. “I know he doesn’t seem that approachable, but he is nice and won’t just brush you off. And you really seem to have a lot of things in common, I don’t think you will fall short on what to talk about.”

“Like what?” Lynn challenges.

“Like your obsession with books and reading, and everything psychology and video games. Last time we had lunch together you literally spent half of it trying to beat the high score in one of the games I had in my phone. A high score achieved by Wonwoo, which you beat and then he saw it when I was over his dorm and ing spent an hour ignoring me just to beat it again. Like literally what the , I was truly and honestly creeped out.”

“I suddenly don’t know about them being together. Imagine all they do in dates is play video games and break each other’s scores.” Miyoung shudders in fear.

“Don’t give her ideas.” Mingyu hisses.

Lynn smirks. “I like the sound of that actually.”

“Miyoung.” Mingyu scolds the girl who just smiles guiltily at him.

 

 

 

 

 

Lynn doesn’t usually listen to her friends, especially when it comes to her love life. But Mingyu’s words seemed trust worthy, the fact that he is Wonwoo’s best friend and knows him pretty well adding to her resolve. So as she stares at Wonwoo’s back in one of their breaks, she decides to just it up and do something about this for once in her life. If everything goes to shambles after this she can at least say she tried and die an honorable death.

Approaching Wonwoo sounds easier in theory than it is in action. And Lynn stands a table behind him, willing herself to just ing do it already. She notices that he’s not just scrolling around his phone but actually playing Temple Run 2, a game she’s too familiar with for years now. She smirks when an idea pops into her head and with that she finally walks the two steps between them.

“What’s your score?” Lynn asks him, watching him play from over his shoulder. Her unexpected voice shakes Wonwoo in surprise, effectively getting him to slip and lose in the game.

He raises his head to look at her with a questioning look, and Lynn bites her lips nervously when she notices the annoyed glint in his eyes. “What?” He mutters in his deep voice and Lynn tries to not drop and die right then and right there. She has already achieved her honorable death at this point, she can just leave now.

“I-I asked you about you high score.” She mumbles, suddenly very insecure of her whole plan. Screw Mingyu, how did he even talk her into doing this? Does he have mind controlling abilities PLUS his mind reading ones?

“Oh,” Wonwoo says quietly, glancing back at his phone. “Something over 27 million, what about you?” His tone is confident when he says that, as if Lynn can’t dream of even getting near such a score.

“Hhah,” Lynn accidently blurts, but she can’t hide the smirk breaking into her face. “You know, something along the lines of 30 million.”

“What?” Wonwoo shrieks, both his voice and dreams breaking at that exact moment. “I mean how?”

Lynn tries not to laugh at his crestfallen expression. “I am just good at this game I guess.”

“Are you sure it’s 30 million and not 3?” Wonwoo suddenly asks warily, and Lynn rolls her eyes at him before fetching her phone from her pocket and opening the app. When it’s finally loaded, since that game is slow and ty and Wonwoo groans knowingly because he’s too familiar with the wait, she shows him the screen with her score. Wonwoo scowls, before gesturing to her phone with his hand. “Can I have your phone for a moment?”

Lynn is surprised with the turn of events, but she passes it to the boy anyway, watching him start a game of temple run in her own phone. “I need to break your score but it’s not as satisfying as doing it on my phone. I need to make your score disappear from here.” He explains, and Lynn would have judged him, if she didn’t relate to this too much.

They spend some minutes like that, with Wonwoo cursing every time he gets killed off in the game while Lynn watches the way his fingers move against the screen of her phone. Their teacher comes soon after that though, and Wonwoo looks like he has been betrayed by everything around him. Himself for not getting the high score, Lynn’s phone for merely existing, Lynn for getting such an insanely high score and in the teacher for coming in class before he gets his deserving score. Wonwoo clutches Lynn’s phone, not ready to give it back, determination fueling him to ing get a score more than 30 millions. And suddenly he’s saying. “Do you mind sitting beside me while I keep using your phone?”

Lynn hesitates, and not because she doesn’t want to sit beside him, but rather to not show how badly she wanted to do that. “I mean, I guess I can. I wasn’t sitting with anyone in particular anyways.”

And with that said, Lynn goes to fetch her bag from the table she usually sits at and goes to sit beside Jeon Wonwoo, her brain setting itself on fire and effectively burning her heart in the aftermath at being in such close proximity with her crush.

Lynn tries to focus with the teacher, she really does, but it’s hard to do so when her eyes keep going back to watch Wonwoo’s fingers tapping on her phone or to look at his side profile, and when Wonwoo keeps mumbling low curses every time he fails. But she still somehow succeeds to focus a little, so when Wonwoo suddenly calls her name it makes her jump in surprise.

“W-what?” She squeals, glancing back at him.

Wonwoo looks at her apologetically, biting his lips in what looks like nervousness. “I got too into the game, and-“

“Oh my god.” Lynn unintentionally groans. “What did you do to my poor baby?”

“Nothing, nothing.” He quickly assures. “I might or might not have used all of your battery though.”

Lynn whines, snatching her phone carelessly from Wonwoo’s phone. Eyes widening when she sees that the battery is 9 percent only when it was 40 when she gave it to him. “You killed my battery AND didn’t break my score?”

Wonwoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter