N'Credible Lunch Meeting

Be My Baby

 

[SEB’S POV]

“Dude, wait up!” Tyler hurriedly follows me outside the diner. I ignored him and just walk straight in the street. People might think I am crazy because I’m looking at the sky while smiling, but I don’t give a damn about what they think. “SEBASTIAN!” Tyler shouted at me, to my surprised I’m already at the edge of the street and almost ran by a taxi. “What are you doing?! Are you out of your mind?”

WHOA! That was a close one! I slowly turn my back to face Tyler. I’m like a frozen a** hole in the middle of the street. What the hell is happening to you, Seb? He pulled me away from the street, Tyler slapped my face. “Thanks man! I think I just needed that.” I thanked him while patting his back. “You’re walking the wrong way Seb. Your house is that way.” He pointed his right hand to the direction to my and his other hand still gripping my collar.

He’s right, my house is actually on the other way. He releases me as I slowly regain my consciousness on what’s happening. “Did the bump on your nose make you loss focus on everything?” He muttered. “I think so.” But it wasn’t the bump that made me like this, instead, it was the feeling inside that diner. I wish I will see her again.

[LUNCH MEETING]

Sitting in an expensive restaurant and waiting for Prof Simons and the producers from NCredible. I’m getting paranoid about this meeting. I don’t want to screw everything up, this is once in a lifetime opportunity. Relax Seb, you’ve done several meetings and you’ve managed to pull it through. This is just another meeting. “Mr. Clemente!” I snapped when someone called my name.

I stand up and turn around to look who it is. It’s Prof Simmons and three other guys. The first guy came in is Caucasian, the other one is obviously Asian with a cool hair style and the last guy is black. HOLY SH*T! The black guy is NICK CANNON! I shivered when I realized that I’m having a meeting with Nick Cannon. “Ah Seb, good you’re here already.” Prof Simons greets me and shakes my hand.

I just keep silent, obviously don’t know how react. He guided the three men to their chairs. “Seb, this is Ethan Lader the director of the movie...” I extended my hand the white guy. “This is JY Park the co-producer...” We shake hands and he bows at the same time. “And I think you already know Nick Cannon, he’s the executive producer.” Of course, I know Nick Cannon! “Nice to meet you sir.” I greeted.

We all sit down and, as much as possible, make myself comfortable on my chair. “Extend my regards to your father.” Nick Cannon suddenly muttered. “My father? You know my father?” I replied with confusion on my face. “You’re Architect Santiago Clemente’s son, right?” He answered. I timidly nodded, “Yes, he is my father. How did you know him?” I think I know where this is going. “He designed several buildings for the company and my house.” Nick Cannon replied. I KNEW IT! My father is behind this!

“I will tell him that you said ‘hi’ sir.” I smiled with uneasiness. “Oh, please, don’t call me sir. Just call me Nick instead.” Nick answered. “Now let’s get down to business.” He added. “But I think we should eat first. This kid might faint before this lunch meeting will end.” The Asian guy, I mean Mr. Park, butted in. “I think that’s a good idea JYP.” Ehtan calls the waiter and orders.

[SEVERAL MINUTES LATER]

“So Seb, I heard a lot of you from Toni (Prof Simons).” Nick said with a laid back tone. “How old are you kid?” JY asked me. I settled myself to be ready for more incoming questions. “I’m still 18, but I’ll be 19 this coming August.” I can clearly see their surprised expressions. “Very young for this kind of industry, ehh?” JY replied. I have to play this cool and witty. “I think there’s nothing wrong in reaching your dreams as early as possible. I mean Nick build the ‘NCredible’ when he was still in his 20’s, am right?” I look at Nick Cannon seeking approval from him.

The surprised expressions were turned into impressed expressions. “I like your style kid. You remind me of a young JYP.” JY muttered. “Thank you.” And I answered. These men are making me feel old. “You have a great student here Toni.” Nick said it while facing to Prof Simons, and then he turns to me. “Tell me more about your films. I watch a few of them and I’m impressed.”

“I’ve done several short films. Most of the films I did were for compliance. I also did a couple of music videos for my friends, who are local artists. And I did two films as our entry for the Cannes Film Festival, each one is an entry for two different years.” I answered with my most humble tone. “And both of your entries were nominated?” Ethen asked. “My first entry was not nominated, though I received good feedbacks. The second try did manage to be.”

The conversation was all about me and my skills or background in film making. These guys are asking me many questions, some of the questions are obviously for testing my ability. The meeting approximately lasted for an hour.

“Write down your address. You’ll receive the script within this week.” Nick uttered. My eyes widened, “Does it mean that I’m included in the production?” Obviously sound surprise from what he said. “We like how you think, Seb. Though you won’t be the director but I want you to be my assistant director.” Ethan cheerfully said. “He’s right. For such a young age, you showed a great potential for making it big in this industry.” JY shared his opinion.

Can I shout and jump from happiness right now?“Thank you. I promise I won’t disappoint you.” I humbly answered their compliments. Nick stands up and says, “Ethan, make sure this kid will receive the script with the initial schedules for the production and don’t forget the contract. JY and I have some work to attend, so we better get going.” JY also followed him. I stand up, “Thank you for this opportunity Nick, JY. I’ll do my best for this movie.”

Nick and JY leave the restaurant and paid our meal. Just after they left Ethan also bid his good bye and takes my home address. Prof Simons and I are the only ones who are left in the restaurant. “You did a good job Clemente. I’m proud that you’re my student.” He suddenly uttered.

I look at him suspiciously, “Prof, I know it’s wrong of accusing you of something that I’m not sure but...” We exchange uneasy gazes. “Did my father tell you to contact Nick Cannon and recommend me to him?” Tension was in the air, we both know that I already caught him. Prof Simons rests his back to his chair and calmness slowly eases in the atmosphere. “Your father helped. He did mention you to Nick and told me that Cannon can offer you a project. But Nick Cannon is a man with moral and doesn’t look at someone’s family background. If you know what I mean.”

I stand up, “I’ll go ahead, and I need to sort things out.” And then I look at Prof Simons, he’s already looking at me. “Thank you for all the help Prof Simons. I hope you won’t accept any help from my father from now.” I added and started to walk out the restaurant.