Chess: the Mind game

In a Ditch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

N/A

Varsity AU

MiChaeng SaiDa

##########

The room was so busy. Tables were on the middle as stocked chairs were on the sides. There were exactly 15 students in the room divided by pairs and they were sitted opposite each other with the table between them. The remaining student was standing, monitoring the pairs. She would watch the table or she would just walk around. She passed the two girls concentrating with looking at the table and when she past them, she could hear a small tap of a plastic touching the wooden table.

"Check." Said the girl as soon as she pushed the queen in front of her opponent's king. She watched her enemy frown in annoyance and placed her palm in her forehead to think better. The girl turned her focus to the board in front of them again and let her mind explore what will the chances she would beat her opponent.

The enemy's king was cornered. His soldiers and fighters where nowhere to be found that could protect him. Her queen felt like pointing him her silver sword. If he moves to the right, the knight could easily catch him, ready to kill him in no time. All in all, the only choice he could do was move backwards exactly to the left even though he knows he'll die with that move, he has no choice.

With a smirk from the girl, she moved her pawn forward making no more available place for the king to move.

"Checkmate." The fighter said as she watched her enemy sigh and poke her king in defeat. The winner smirked at the slumbering girl infront of her. "Mate by pawn again." She mocked her enemy.

The chess pieces were shoved out of the chess mat.

"Mina, will you stop defeating me using a pawn? It destroys my pride if the weakest piece would checkmate me." The enemy who has a resemblance of a cute squirrel sighed as she placed the pieces to the chess mat storage bag.

Mina chuckled silently and gathered her backpack. "That's my specialty, Sana. Besides, I'm a pawn warrior. Pawn may be the weakest and to your eyes- the useless piece, but when used properly, they can be the deadliest piece in the game."

Sana stood up too as she rolled the chess mat and inserted it to the storage bag. Mina could still feel the irritation of her friend. "I'd never said pawns are useless, Mina." Sana defended herself. "They are just for support. It's true they're the weakest and that's the most annoying part for me when playing with you." Sana swung the chess bag to her shoulder and Mina only walked towards the door. "It's annoying how the weakest piece would be the one to checkmate me!"

Sana was annoyed for her stepped pride but it was Mina's triumph to make Sana feel like that.

That's what you get for treating pawns as weaklings. Mina could only think in reply.

"Well, I rely to my pawns while you rely to your annoying knight." Mina said to annoy her friend which worked a lot as Sana glared at her and hissed in disagreement.

"The knight can jump from one place to another. They can attack even when someone's blocking them. Don't badmouth them, you, pawn maniac!" Sana accusingly pointed at her friend as her free hand opened the door.

Mina could only laugh. "Yeah, you too. Don't judge my pawns, annoying knight."


In the game of chess, there are 32 pieces. 16 of which are own by the other player. 8 of them was the pawn. 2 is named the knight. 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 1 queen and 1 king. To be easily understood, the king is obviously the king in a battlefield. They are the most important piece in the game because when they're dead, they are defeated. The queen is like the generals. They are the strongest piece in the battlefield. The bishop represents the power of religion. The knight is the king's guard and sometimes, the spy since he could jump in one place to another even if there are other pieces blocking his way. The bishop and knight are said to be on the same level of strength. Then there's the rook. They are said to be the guards of the fortress wall. He's the seconds strongest in the field. Lastly, the pawn. They could be represented by the ordinary people in a place. No high position in the game.

But for Mina, the pawns are the strongest in the game. They don't know to move backwards. They can only move forward. They can only slowly walk but when they are molded to reach their goals, (the end of the battlefield or chess board) they can be anything; queen, rook, bishop or knight. They are the most precious piece for Mina.


"Going home already?" They both turned around to see their chess coach looking at them.

"Yeah. It's late already." Sana replied as she waved her hands to their fellow chess player varsities and pulled Mina out of the room.

They came out of the storage room or the chess training room and next to the room was another place for other school varsities.

"Are they still there?" Sana's chirpy voice made Mina roll her eyes. She looked behind the wall near their training area to see the basketball court. She could see the players still running, shooting and shouting there.

"Yeah, they're still there being noisy." Mina looked at Sana as she nodded in no interest at all. Sana's eyes sparkled as she slpwly poke her head to see the court. And Mina sighed at how weird her friend was.

"Let's go!" Sana pulled Mina and they walked on the small sidewalk beside the court. Again, Mina rolled her eyes because she knew what Sana was planning.

"Dahyun!" Sana screamed and waved her hands as soon as she spotted the pale girl with a messy bun. Dahyun glanced at them and smiled in a second. With a nod, she turned around again and ran to block the other player.

Sana giggled and Mina rolled her eyes again. "Gosh, Dahyun is so hot. Look at that sparkling sweat!" She turned her friend's face to look at the court. The latter let her be and just uninterestedly looked at the player.

"Yeah." She lazily replied but her eyes landed at the other player who was the girl which Dahyun was guarding. She has a bob hair cut and compared to other players, she looked the shortest of them.

With a fast screech of her shoes, she jumped and threw the ball which smoothly entered the ring without touching the said ring. "She's good." Mina commented and Sana giggled again.

"I know right?" Sana clapped while Mina smirked.

The two continued walking towards the exit of the gym. Mina started opening her book like what she usually do while Sana was dreamily staring at the basketball court. Mina sighed when she heard Sana scream again. "Dahyun!"

Gosh, why is Sana so annoying? Mina thought as she closed her book and looked at her side. Sana was jogging towards the court. Mina was about to pull her back and stop her friend from messing with the game. But she noticed the game was over. She slowly followed her squirrel friend as they reached the other side of the court.

Mina scrunched her nose as the sweaty smell of the players entered her nostrils. She covered her nose with her book to not let the players notice her distaste of them.

"Here!" Sana said as she ran and offered a towel to Dahyun who was sitting in the bench while drinking a bottle of water.

Mina could only watch them from a far since she couldn't deal with the smell of the players. Gosh, they smell so much. Immediately, she opened her backpack and sprayed her perfume in front of her. She did it while making sure the perfume bottle could not be seen by anyone from her backpack.

"Thank you, Sana unnie." Dahyun replied with a sweet smile. She took the towel from Sana's hand and immediately burried her face in it. Mina was sure Sana would be jumping in joy at their apartment later and tell her Dahyun used her towel again.

"The married couple is annoying." Mina was startled at the new voice coming from her side. She turned around and immediately scrunched her nose as the smell poisoned her nose. She immediately turned away to avoid the odor.

"Yeah." Mina replied without thinking. She didn't want to oppose the player's opinion for she only wanted to stay away from them- away from the unpleasant odor.

"Do you hate us that much?" The girl asked and Mina moved away to give hersel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter