Chapter 2 - Crew Gathered

The Puppet Show

Chapter 2 - Crew Gathered

 

Baekhyun was scrolling through his instagram feed when he stumbled upon a familiar a picture of Jongin, kissing a man wearing a very familiar black jacket. Under the photo is a caption that says ‘Is it bad? I think this is really hot’

 

Baekhyun just laughed dryly and shook his head. This is the 9th time he had seen the photo of Jongin kissing his mystery man. The man was evidently shorter than Jongin and he had a bald head.

 

Aside from seeing the ‘hot political candidate scandal’ as what the netizens liked to call it. Netizens were also searching high and low for the mystery guy. Luckily, the guy was blurry and the location was very dark so guessing who the other person was— is a pretty impossible thing.

 

“Baekhyun-sshi, the director called you” one of the staffs informed him. He stood up from his chair and headed straight to the director.

 

“Jongdae what do you need this time?” Baekhyun whined as he dragged his lazy off to the director. Jongdae was busy eating a green apple while talking to a tall guy whos hair was styled pretty neatly.

 

Jongdae, despite being the film director, was Baekhyun’s dear friend during their university days. Both had the same minor subjects and they often opted to skip classes because they were too busy watching movies.

 

‘Blame the cheap movie ticket guys!’ As what the two of them would often say, whenever exams for those minor subjects are fast approaching.

 

Mi favorito! Come here, meet Mr. Choi” Jongdae waved his hands briskly resulting for Mr. Choi to laugh and step back a little bit.

 

Baekhyun walked towards the two and bowed. Half embarrassed because he was being rude to the ‘director’ earlier and half thankful because nobody heard his ‘rude’ statement.

 

“Baekhyun, meet Mr. Choi Minho, he’s a managing director at Legacy Korea” Jongdae continued on munching the apple as he tapped (more like wiping the juice from his green apple) on Mr. Choi’s khaki colored suit.

 

“Nice to meet you Mr. Choi” Baekhyun smiled as he extended his hand and bowed politely. The other party also politely bowed, as he took Baekhyun’s hand.

 

“I believe Mr. Kim Minseok is your Manager?” Mr. Choi asked as he glanced at a small piece of paper, Baekhyun believed was where his

manager’s name was written. .

 

“Yes Mr. Choi” Baekhyun tilted his head. Confusion is pretty evident in his face.

 

He was actually confused as to why this Mr. Choi, had to mention his manager. Clearly, he, Baekhyun was more important than his manager. Not that Minseok was not an important person (Minseok is a very important person) However if this guy, Mr. Choi (obviously) wanted to ask for permission (I mean look at his face, plus he’s holding a piece of folder with a teeny tiny ‘Byun Baekhyun’ Written at the corner) Isn’t Baekhyun the most important element? I mean, come on, he could just ask Minseok to adjust his schedule and he’s good to go.

 

Also, the reason Minseok took the day off is because he had to go to his High School Reunion.

 

“Did your manager tell you about the Annual Spring Collection Fashion Show?” Mr. Choi asked with an excited smile upon his handsome face.

 

However there’s this confused look upon Baekhyun’s face a clear indication that he, was not informed.

 

“” Jongdae’s eyes widened as he muttered something along the lines of ‘Minmin’ and ‘dead’

 

“I wasn’t able to inform him Mr. Choi. My— I mean, Baekhyun’s manager, sort of left Baekhyun in my care for the meantime because he has important matters to attend to” Jongdae repeatedly bowed and Mr. Choi just smiled and shook his head cutely.

 

I’m gonna be honest with you, for a tall man who’s not working in the entertainment industry, Mr. Choi’s face looks like he could compete with those who are working in the field.

 

“No need. Anyhow Mr. Byun, how about we go grab coffee across the street and discuss things there?” Mr. Choi asked which Baekhyun immediately agreed. He was about to go home anyway.

 

---

 

The discussion was short. Mr. Choi only wanted to get Baekhyun’s permission to use Baekhyun’s Coat Designs for the upcoming Annual Spring Collection.

 

Baekhyun immediately said yes. It was sometime in his early 20’s that he sent the coat designs for the same Annual Event— and he’s already 27 now.

 

He sent his design entries around the time when Legacy Korea was still rising. Legacy Korea hosted a designing contest where everyone could enter and would feature the winning design in their Spring Collection, plus a 2-year contract for the Fashion Designing job in their company. Their company was yet to be known so there weren’t a lot of people who entered. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, even with a few competitors—he wasn’t able to grab an award. So, he just threw his ‘momentary’ dream of becoming a fashion designer away and proceeded to become a singer instead.

 

What Baekhyun did not expect though, was the design to be kept  until now. How many years was it? 6 or 7 years ago?

 

Anyway, Baekhyun was delighted that his designs would finally be born. Don’t question him, Baekhyun refers all his works as babies.

 

He made the coat designs specifically for men in their early 20s. Around his age during the time of the contest. The designs were mostly trench coats with a ‘built-in’ hoodie inside.

 

“Thank you very much Mr. Byun!” Minho wore a wide grin and once again bowed at Baekhyun.

 

“I told you, just call me Baekhyun. I really don’t feel comfortable when people formally address me”

 

“I’m so sorry Mr. Byu— Mr. Baekhyun” Minho smiled bashfully and shook Baekhyun’s hand. Mr. Choi then immediately drove away. Probably back to his company or probably home. It was already 7 in the evening after all.

 

And it was time for him to go home too, but before heading home, Baekhyun decided to buy his dear brother something to drink.

 

---

 

Goût Délicat, Korea

 

The home Baekhyun meant was a restaurant in the name of Goût Délicat. He and his brother lived at the 2nd floor of the building.

 

 

“Kyung— I know you’re not alright” Baekhyun pulled his brother in for a hug.

 

Right then and there, Kyungsoo buried his face in Baekhyun’s chest and cried. He bawled like a child and weakly threw his fist upon Baekhyun’s chest as he cursed himself for being stupid. Baekhyun on the other hand caressed Kyungsoo’s back and comforted his brother.

 

Baekhyun had long warned Kyungsoo about Jongin. At first— before Jongin married Krystal, he was fine with the two dating, but things changed.

 

Jongin broke up with Kyungsoo saying his father had arranged him with Krystal Jung.

 

During that time, Kyungsoo looked well and happy— at least in the eyes of the outsiders, he was. He never showed his weakness to other people. But Baekhyun knew better, he knew Kyungsoo loved Jongin too dearly to be able to hate him—but is also in so much pain to talk about the latter too.

 

Yes, Kyungsoo felt so down that he refused to talk with others outside the boundaries of work.

 

Because of that, Baekhyun swore he’ll protect his brother from that man, Kim Jongin— which failed miserably. Months later, Jongin and Kyungsoo got back together. Yes, Kyungsoo said yes, once again, to Jongin. Even though he knew Jongin had a wife. Kinda stupid.

 

Kyungsoo hid the secret to Baekhyun, but he was not dumb. Jongin’s frequent late night visits at the Goût Délicat, which is, let remind you, also Kyungsoo’s home, did not go unnoticed to the singer’s radar.

 

Baekhyun vocally showed his annoyance and disapproval of Jongin’s presence. He threw comments and implied Kyungsoo’s suffering during those times because Jongin chose to marry that wealthy model. And that Jongin did not deserve Kyungsoo’s love.

 

Kyungsoo would just shake his head at Jongin who gritted his teeth and clenched his fists at Baekhyun’s remarks. Saying something along the lines of ‘He’s just too stressed out with his work, that is why he’s being like that

 

“Baek, I— why do I still love him?” Kyungsoo’s raspy and tired voice was a clear evident that the guy has been crying for a long time. But him breaking down in front of Baekhyun only meant that he was in desperate need of comfort.

 

“Kyung I told you didn’t I?” Baekhyun kissed Kyungsoo’s crown and hugged the man tightly “It’s not your fault. Jongin can deal with his problems, why are you even worried about him?” Baekhyun’s chin rested upon Kyungsoo’s head.

 

“How about I cook you my specialty?” Baekhyun added as he smiled in attempt to cheer the other. Kyungsoo pushed himself away from Baekhyun’s chest and grinned.

 

“Baek I don’t want my restaurant to burn down” He wiped tears from his puffy eyes and stood up.

 

“Okay then— I’ll give you this once in a lifetime opportunity to cook for me Kyung” Baekhyun held his chin up and folded his arms, pretending to be a haughty celebrity, which earned a good laugh from Kyungsoo.

 

The night then went on smoothly.

 

 

Morning came and Baekhyun had to film for his upcoming music video. Minseok came to get Baekhyun and take him to the location by 5:30.

 

---

 

Gyeongpo Beach, Gangneung-si

 

The first scene for the music video was at a beach. The cold sea breeze kissed Baekhyun’s pale skin which caused the guy to shiver.

 

The scene he’s filming first is a scene where he’s required to walk along the shore and his feet would get in touch with the cold seawater while the sun is rising. A perfect dramatic scene for a ballad song.

 

 

“—and cut! Baekhyun-sshi let’s take a break” the director then sat upon his chair and drank his warm coffee.

 

The PDs then went to assist Baekhyun. Giving him thick coats and a warm cup of coffee as well.

 

He was already sitting down in a comfortable chair when Minseok came running.

 

“Baekhyun... Kim wants... to... by his office... after filming” He said in between his breath.

 

“Which Mr. Kim though? Kim Jongdae? President Kim Heechul? Or Kim Jongin?” He scoffed after mentioning the last option. “I know too many Kims in my life. And what’s with the rush anyway?” he added as he handed a bottle of water to his manager.

 

Don’t get it wrong—Baekhyun’s not being rude, that’s just how they normally talk.

“Baekhyun, after filming, means right now” Minseok replied after chugging the water down his throat.

 

“What? But we were just starting. Look it’s still 6:45 in the morning!” Baekhyun showed his phone screen to Minseok, just to prove that the day is still about to start “It’s not even Pres. Kim’s office hours” he added.

 

But before Minseok could reply, the Director informed Baekhyun that President Kim just called and that their filming for today got cancelled.

 

He had no other choice but to go. What’s with the rush anyway?

 

 

---

 

K. H. Entertainment

 

Baekhyun arrived at the President’s Office at Exactly 8:30 AM. Still too early for office hours.

 

“President Kim, you called for me?”

 

Baekhyun’s head came peeking at the door of the president’s office.  He’s feeling a little bit nervous, because who wouldn’t?

 

First, because the freakin’ President of K. H. Entertainment, cancelled the filming for the Music Video. Which is by the way, not practical. It means that they would reserve the location once again. And that means money—a lot of money to be wasted.

 

Secondly— why do President Kim had to call him in for as early as now? He could’ve just waited until 9 or 10 in the morning. But no— he chose to see him in such an inconvenient hour. What is this very important thing?

 

Heechul looked up from his desktop computer and saw Baekhyun coming in. He immediately stood up and motioned for his artist to come in.

 

“My little money maker” He cheerfully greeted Baekhyun arms wide open as he patted Baekhyun back. A usual scenario for the two. Baekhyun is very close with the President because he was the President’s favorite.

 

“Why don’t you take a seat first?” Heechul smiled as he headed towards his drawers and retrieved a brown envelope.

 

“Have you ever heard of the story about the farm owner’s son?” Heechul turned his head towards Baekhyun. Hands holding the brown envelope and eyes focused on the celebrity in front of him.

 

“Which one Sir? There are a lot of stories about a farm owner’s son” he confidently replied though, he is still feeling a little bit nervous. Afterall, he worked so hard to get to the President’s good side—and he needs to stay at the good side—for good.

 

“The one where the farm owner’s son, disobeyed his parents and got removed from their family register. Ever heard of that?” Heechul immediately gained Baekhyun’s full attention at the mentioned of the story, however he did not reply. His gut feeling says it’s not going to end up good.

 

“You know—  where the family of the son’s friend, adopted the farm owner’s son. Ever heard of that?” Heechul was now seated in his chair, taking a peek at the papers from the folder.

 

Baekhyun rubbed his palms upon his pants saying a bit of ‘hmm’ with a nod. Nothing special with his reaction. However, deep down inside, he was getting nervous. Nobody, knew about the story of the Byun’s adopting Kyungsoo. No, not even Kyungsoo’s employee and other close friends knew. Only Kyungsoo, the Byuns and Jongin knew about this matter. So How did President Kim know about this story? Perhaps Jongin? But no—him and his father do not get along that well to be telling secrets.

 

“I’m sorry sir, I have not” the word came out from Baekhyun’s mouth smoothly. But Heechul knew better—he had been with his star for years already—he knew Baekhyun lied.

 

 

“You should get yourself acquainted with different stories, you’re an actor after all” He handed the brown envelope to Baekhyun.

 

“You’ll never know. It can either lift you to your highest glory, or bury you down to the deepest pit” he added.

 

Baekhyun opened the envelope and saw the documents containing it. Inside were Kyungsoo’s documents, including Kyungsoo’s adoption papers dated 12 years ago and the picture of Baekhyun’s family laughing together with Kyungsoo”

 

“I got it from guy who was about to deliver this to the Do’s” Heechul stood up and peered over the documents.

 

“What guy?”

 

“Some guy named Jeonghan. Fair skin. Long hair. Idol-like features. You’re lucky I got it first before the Do’s got the hold of it”

 

Baekhyun let out a sigh of relief. He’s close to tearing up, but he did his best to hold his tears up. What if the Do’s got these information before President Kim? What would happen to his family? What would happen to Kyungsoo?

 

“Thank you very much Sir” A much energetic Baekhyun stood up and bowed 90 degrees down as he held the documents tightly. He did not care about his make-up. He wanted to convey to Heechul how thankful he was with what the president did. All for this reason Heechul cancelled the filming?

 

He was overwhelmed with gratefulness towards the president that he forgot to ask, how the president knew of their secret.

 

“I’m pretty sure you are quite aware of the rumours circulating recently right?” Heechul prompted while Baekhyun nodded at this. He meant Jongin, his good son’s rumour.

 

“So you’re aware of the risks if the Do’s find Kyungsoo’s whereabouts, right?” It was a rhetorical question and Baekhyun did not bother to reply anymore.

 

“Baekhyun, what I’m going to offer to you right now may plummet down your reputation, but it is a sure way to protect your friend— no your brother; Your family” Heechul paused for a bit and turned his head towards Baekhyun’s way and was pleased with what he saw.

 

“But I assure, you I’m going to help you get through all of this” Heechul was being fatherly to Baekhyun—just a little bit extra than the usual.

 

“What is it Sir?” He asked with determination. All his life, he protected his family. He kept their privacy from the media. And he’s not going to let anyone harm his family. Not even big shots like the Do’s.

 

“Then get yourself involved in a scandal”