Prismatic Light

Tints, Shades and Tones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How long are you staying in the city?” Leo asked as Ken rifled through his studio for a safety knife.

He was dressed in normal clothes for once, rather than paint smeared shirts 2 sizes too big. There was something almost surreal about seeing him back in the studio like old times.

It was a plain room, plenty of natural light filtering in the large windows to one side and unassuming grey concrete, only slightly paint splattered. There was a seat for subjects to one end of the room, his easel in the centre and various boxes of paint, a long bench completely covered in heavy plastic and smears of skin-tone colours. Laid to one side was a collection of long, thin spatulas, the type you would find in a cake decorating kit, and a few well used caulking guns.

“I don’t know,” Ken shrugged before diving into a box of abandoned supplies beneath the bench. “I want to go home soon though.”

Leo nodded, lips wrinkling while Ken couldn’t see him.

“Are you ever coming back here?” Leo’s voice dropped to a whisper. “Are you ever going to call this home again?”

Ken’s movement stopped. He wriggled backward and turned to face Leo from his knees.

“Leo?” Ken asked, face confused at the sudden questions.

“I know,” Leo nodded. He folded himself onto the floor and hugged his knees close. “You’re out there doing things. Living life and learning and… growing.”

Ken sat back on his feet, waiting patiently.

“I miss you,” Leo admitted, lips twisting a little. “I miss having you there when I lose a commission. When I mess a painting up and the clients are angry. I…”

Ken’s smile was soft.

“I guess I relied on you more than I should.” Leo finished. He looked down at his feet and sighed.

“Almost 30 and still such a baby,” Ken teased, smile sweet as Leo glared at him. “I’m always at the other end of the phone. And… I’ve been away a while now. You still get commissions, you still have more work than you can handle.”

Leo grimaced and nodded.

“It’s just harder without my best friend.”

“I know,” Ken’s voice was so sincere Leo glanced up to find him looking sorrowful. “I missed you too, while I was out there in the mountains. Isolation can be very isolating.”

Leo rolled his eyes at such a Ken thing to say.

“It’s the whole point, stupid.”

“Shut up,” Ken’s mouth quivered as he fought down the smile. “Anyway, I’m thinking of spending more time here soon.”

Leo’s heart leapt.

“Wonshik wants to start his own paintings again. In his own studio. So I’ll be here more often.”

The impact on his chest sent a spasm through Leo’s face that he couldn’t suppress. Ken gave a short sigh and smile.

“It’s not the only reason,” Ken continued as Leo tried not to sulk. “I think it’s time I come back to reality a little too. I miss you, I want to live among people again. I forgot what it’s like to have so much life around you. The forest is where I go to slow down. The city is where I’ll come to speed up. Am I making sense?”

“Do you ever?” Leo teased. After a beat they smiled together. “I understand. I’m glad.”

“Me too,” Ken nodded. “I wasn’t sure I would ever actually make it.” He confessed. “I was so sure I would fail. I honestly can’t believe it.”

“I think I always knew you would do it,” Leo let his knees fall into a tailor seat, “I think that’s one reason I fought you so hard in the beginning. I wanted us to struggle together.”

“And now?”

“I want us to just be happy,” Leo shrugged. “The rest of it will sort itself out.”

Ken grinned and nodded firmly.

“Now! Where is that damn boxcutter!” He turned and dove back among the forgotten supplies. Leo shook his head and watched a while longer.

 

The elevator swished open and Hongbin strode through the office purposefully. He towered over Hyuk’s desk, a menacing look on his usually sweet face. Hyuk glanced up, guilt immediately coming over his whole being. He shrank against the table slightly.

“Han Sanghyuk, finish what you’re doing right now,” Hongbin ordered, ignoring the stifled giggles in the office. “You are already 20 minutes late.”

“I’m sorry,” Hyuk almost squeaked. Hongbin’s menacing look did not soften as he spoke. “I have more work to do now that I’m managing three different artists.”

“No excuses,” Hongbin pointed a finger at him.

With a short sigh Hyuk tapped away at the keyboard for another few minutes and clicked the email off into the void.

“I’m done,” He said, still stooped beneath Hongbin’s displeased face.

“Good. We’re going.” He his heel and strode away, leaving Hyuk to smile and chase him down at the elevator. When he caught up he planted a kiss on Hongbin’s mouth firmly, another on his cheek as he wound their hands together.

“Hi,” Hyuk mumbled happily. “It’s nice to see you.”

Hongbin bit down on his smile, pushing Hyuk’s adorable face away slightly and rolling his eyes.

“I missed you too,” Hyuk told him before the elevator dinged and the doors opened. Hongbin’s lips twisted before giving way to a smile. They stepped into the elevator together.

 

“Happy Wine Wednesday!” N cheered as he pushed into Ravi’s apartment. He was moderately proud of himself for making it from Sunday to Wednesday without drinking. He was definitely showing personal growth! He should be rewarded. And what better reward than wine!

“Happy Wine Wednesday.”

N’s joy stalled. That was not Ravi’s voice.

Ken appeared at the door to the bedroom, looking plain in his jeans and t-shirt. N’s lip curled and he sighed with disappointment.

“What are you doing here?” He asked, not even bothering to be friendly. There was only so much personal growing he could do in such a short time.

“Banging Ravi’s brains out,” Ken shrugged before continuing to the kitchen bench. “You want a glass?”

N spluttered, trying to find a fitting response as Ken pulled wine glasses down from the cabinets and set them on the bench. The artist shot an impish look at N as he waited.

N was trying, he was definitely trying to find a nasty thing to say. Something to shoot Ken down and leave him in the dirt. He came up with nothing; except delighted laughter in his brain at the audacity. It was honestly something N himself would have said. His eyes narrowed as he looked over at Ken, the other man was waiting patiently by the lined up glasses.

“This doesn’t mean I like you,” N protested as he crossed the room and passed Ken a bottle to pour from.

“Good,” Ken nodded, equally sassy.

“Are you two playing nicely?” Ravi asked as he emerged from the bedroom, still towelling his hair dry.

“I always play nicely,” N and Ken spoke in unison. There was a pregnant pause before Ravi simply took one of the glasses and drank deeply.

 

“Sorry we’re late!” Hongbin called as they moved through to the door to the balcony. “Woo, it’s going to be crowded out here.”

Ken, Ravi and N were already sitting with their feet up on the railings, watching the traffic jam below. With four it was a squeeze, with five it was almost uncomfortable.

“Someone was working and forgot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter