Aureate Moments

Tints, Shades and Tones
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you get my message?” Hyuk asked.

Hongbin’s face remained serene but something fluttered through his eyes.

“I did.”

“I—” Hyuk faltered, wondering where his mind had gone in the few minutes since he had come through the door. How could someone preoccupy your thoughts so much that they dried up and floated away?

“I’m really wondering what you’re doing here,” Hongbin said evenly. “Considering your message.”

“I came to talk to you,” Hyuk’s eyebrows furrowed as he spoke, his own thoughts and words confusing him.

“Am I supposed to give you a commission?” The words left an acidic burn on Hyuk’s cheeks as Hongbin spoke them. “Is that what you’re here for?”

“No.” Hyuk shook his head slightly, chin coming up with the provocation. “I don’t want commission. I steered Naseema here because I thought you two would be a good fit.”

“Well. That was gracious of you,” Hongbin gave a sardonic bow.

Hyuk’s chest fractured and he seemed to cringe with pain.  

“Hongbin…”

“What!” The facade was falling to pieces now, true emotion burning in Hongbin’s dark eyes. His lips, usually sweetly smiling were caught in a sneer as he stared at Hyuk. “What do you want? It’s been three weeks. Just… Let it go.”

“I don’t want to let it go,” Hyuk’s words tumbled out as he seemed to deflate. “I don’t want to let it go. It’s not fair.”

“Not fair?” Hongbin’s voice was arch as he stared at Hyuk.

“No. It’s not fair.” Hyuk ran a hand through his black hair, leaving it as tousled as his heart felt. “It’s not fair to drop that on me with no warning. No time to comprehend or, or, respond before you change your mind.”

“You’ve had almost a year!” Hongbin’s hands flung with expression.

“I’ve had a year of mourning! Of trying to keep everyone together while we try and wade through the months of and sadness. I had a year of working harder than I’ve ever worked in my life.” Hyuk took a slight step toward Hongbin, pleading with him to listen. “Then you tell me you have feelings for me and I’m supposed to know how to react to it. You, of all the people in the world, like me and I’m supposed to have a response ready?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hongbin cut across his next words.

“Look at you!” Hyuk almost begged. “Just… Look at you.”

“What does that have anything to do with anything?” Hongbin looked away, pain clear on his face.

“Hongbin,” Hyuk gave a sad smile and another step closer. “You’re beautiful. I’m just the help.”

Silence as Hongbin seemed to falter and back away slightly.

“So when you confessed, I couldn’t even believe it. I still… I don’t understand.” Hyuk looked around the room, eyes falling on Hongbin’s own portrait. He gave a pah of defeat. “I’m just a normal person.”

“There’s no such thing as normal,” Hongbin’s voice was soft, breaking in the middle beneath the weight.

Hyuk’s face spasmed with pain. He turned back to find Hongbin pressing his fists into his eyes, head bowed. It had been one of Sungmi’s favourite things to say.

A voice whispered behind his ear. A voice he hadn’t heard in too long, whispering for him to take the chance. Within a moment Hyuk had crossed the space and pulled Hongbin to his shoulder. Fingers laced into the soft brown hair, the other hand holding their bodies together as a small sob shook Hongbin’s shoulders. A fist gripped his shirt at the shoulder, the other clinging to his back fiercely. Hyuk pressed his cheek to the hair, closing his burning eyes and surrendering.

 

“You know,” Hongbin sniffled, head finally rising from its comfortable place in Hyuk’s chest, “I actually came here to do some work.”

Hyuk grinned, pulling Hongbin’s head back into his armpit and holding it there.

“Shhhh,” He whispered as Hongbin struggled against the hold, fighting to keep his laughter in as he did.

“Hyuk!” Hongbin protested, laughter in his voice. The firmness of the hold died and Hongbin moved to let his face press into Hyuk’s neck for a long moment. He smelt of sharp cologne, a hint of sweat and something indefinably Hyuk. The scent calmed him, flooding warmth through his body and letting it pool in all the places they were touching from head to toe.

“In future,” Hyuk’s voice was dry and humour bubbled within it. “I would prefer if we didn’t have to escalate to these extremes. What’s wrong with you arty people that everything has to be a drama?”

Hongbin snorted, pulling his face up to look Hyuk in the eye.

“If you weren’t painfully oblivious, I wouldn’t need all the drama.” His eyes were busy drinking in every detail of Hyuk’s face greedily.

“What happened to an old fashioned date?” Hyuk teased a little more, arms tightening around Hongbin’s waist with affection. “What happened to just asking a man out?”

“I tried that,” Hongbin’s grin was lined with razors. “You were still oblivious.”

Hyuk was stumped, peering off into space as he tried to find their “date” in his memories. Hongbin punched him lightly in the chest, bringing him back to the present.

“If you have to think about it that hard it just makes me more depressed,” He grumbled.

“Hey,” Hyuk protested softly, swinging them from side to side a little, “Don’t be like that. I’m here now.”

“Why are you here?” Hongbin asked. His lips were sly as he waited for Hyuk’s answer.

“Because I like you too,” Hyuk nuzzled at his cheek lightly, mumbling the words sweetly. “Because I like you a lot. I just didn’t let myself until you said something.”

Hongbin wriggled, warm delight washing through him again. He turned, letting his lips catch Hyuk’s softly. A chaste kiss, light and warm as Hyuk’s arms tightened again.

 

Limbs and lips tingling he wove through the bodies in the crowd. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter