Pink Among Gray

Pink Sniper

With a stretch and a tiresome yawn, Moonbyul and Hyejin walked into their office and checked in, booted up their computers to start off the day, all while greeting their fellow co-workers and higher ups, and saw a few new faces pass by once in a while.



“Oh, we have new faces in the office.” Hyejin smiled as she got coffee for the two of them from the kitchen. Once she came back and placed the two coffee cups on the desk, Moonbyul had her hands close to her face, thinking intently.



“Honestly… I truly don’t know what to feel about this case. She’s out there, hunting for me, to the point I’m pretty sure she followed us to work today.” Moonbyul looked up, concern written all over her face. 


“Byul, you’re overthinking this. You’re too paranoid. Why do you think she’d be hunting you down in the first place?”



“I dunno. A grudge? But I’m sure I’ve never spoken to her… Most likely it would be revenge. But I haven’t done anything for someone to take revenge on me?” She pondered, thinking of more reasons and excuses as to why the sniper would have followed her. A moment of silence was exchanged between the two as they typed away into their computers, searching for information. After some vague intel was found they punched in the tiniest details into a document on their computers.



“Maybe we should get some recordings from yesterday from the Hyde Park area?” Hyejin suggested and eyed Moonbyul while hoping for a reaction and some sort of new lead on their investigation. The girl lit up and instantly started her research and requested data from the CCTV handler, getting it back within the hour.



“Hyejin, can you look through old detective data?” Moonbyul asked with some concern on her face. “After this, we’re going out again.” 


“Are you seriously considering that she was in the force at some point?”



“Im considering every single little detail, and yes, I am indeed making a big deal out of this because I could’ve sworn I saw her before.” Moonbyul huffed and looked through hours of camera footage. Once she narrowed the footage down to around the time she saw the hint of pink among green, which was exactly at 6:56PM, she searched through more footage at the same time, she found the sniper. Now it was only a matter of identifying her. The bright pink hair, black clothing and a vintage L42A1 rifle with what looked like a suppressor fitted at the end of the barrel. Following that pattern for guidance for what to look for, she rummaged through some more footage. “Hyejin. Recognise her?” She zoomed in on a frame where her face can be clearly seen. 


“Oh damn. Oh. Damn.” Hyejin’s face lit up with a smile. “Also, I couldn’t find anything on previous detectives. I don’t have access to that… But I did find some info on organisations that hire snipers.”



Moonbyul’s eyes narrowed as she looked at the article that Hyejin had on her screen. Scanning through it a little just to get a grasp of things, she was struck by curiosity - who this organisation consisted of, why they did they things they do. They both put their heads down and carried on working, constantly finding new possible leads, clues and tiny details that could help them solve the Pink Sniper case.



“We’re gonna need to question her.” Moonbyul typed away on her computer, filling in information on some sheets.



“That requires catching her first. Now that is going to need to be planned. She’s not going to show up in Hyde Park anymore after you took action.”



“Keep in mind Hyde Park is huge. There is a chance she will show up in another place instead. I saw her by Lancaster Gate station yesterday when she almost attacked me, so there is a chance she might show up elsewhere, but still in that park. There is also a chance that she might change to St. James’ park or the other one near it.” Moonbyul tried to explain herself as clearly as possible. “Basically, she might still be in Hyde park, or has gone elsewhere in the area. The last thing that I cannot imagine happening is that she’s completely given up on me.”



“Right. So whoever this person is lives in a studio flat. Considering she looks kinda ragged and has a vintage rifle that is out of production, means she probably pays the lowest possible price for that area. She also showed up near Lancaster Gate, right?” Hyejin opened a spare tab in her browser and began looking for studio flats near the area. 


“Bayswater. Put patrol on Bayswater. Holy crap, Hyejin, look.” Moonbyul took out a pen and opened some footage, pointing at the screen. “This is way before I called you for backup. She goes into that shop that I went into, well, it’s more like a cafe, without anything. She’s not holding anything, there’s no bags strapped on her back, and a few minutes later, leaves with a black bag. What do you think is in there? That’s right, a sniper rifle. ‘Crisps and water’ like that lady said could have just been a code name.”



“Moonbyul! Collect yourself. You’re going wild with your assumptions of code names recently.” Hyejin raised her voice a little, but not enough for the whole office to take notice.



“I am not!” Byulyi huffed, slouched in her chair and crossed her arms.. “Let’s just send out patrol there. And take a walk there.”



“That’s dangerous, you know. She might be on a rooftop or in a window and as soon as she pulls the trigger, you’re dead.”



“Or just injured.” She shrugged, closing some tabs from her computer, only keeping a word file of information open. 


“You’ve got a hell of a death wish.” Hyejin rolled her eyes. 


“Do you mind if you went with me?” Moonbyul asked, awaiting a response with considerable patience.



“Well, I would mind.” Hyejin sighed, trying to make her sarcasm obvious. “But I’d rather stay covert, maybe watch her for a while. I don’t think that she would change targets that quickly, don’t you think?”



“Hyejin. My mind is set. If we are going out there, we are.” Moonbyul rose from her chair and took her coat off from the back of her seat, putting it on. With a silent sigh, Hyejin did the same. The two gained permission to leave the office and began their hunt for the pink among the gray.