Pink Sniper

Pink Sniper

“Inspector Ahn, I’ve found a new case. I wish to put it in your responsibility.” Chief Inspector Moonbyul held a folder filled with papers.


 

“Is this about the thief that put five people into a critical condition?” Hyejin asked, Moonbyul giving a nod filled with assurance. “I’ve been waiting to receive that case.”


 

“Let’s drop the posh talk. It’s becoming annoying.” Moonbyul huffed, “Anyway here are the papers. We gathered some more intel, like names and places of attack and possible new targets. We found out that all the people with damages are the owners or managers of the place. The most common places of attack are corner shops, particularly the cheaper ones that have large quantities of alcohol and tobacco. The rest, I’m leaving to you, Hyejin.” She put the folder on the table, Hyejin instantly opened it and looked through its contents. There were a few papers that contained information, images and a USB drive that, she assumed, contained footage from the cameras in the shops. Moonbyul soon turned around and made her way to her desk.


 

“Byul-ah.” Hyejin’s sharp, but yet husky voice stopped Moonbyul dead in her tracks. “What case are you taking? Still ‘Pink Sniper’?” She smirked, typing away at the database in her computer.


 

“Yeah. I only started it a few days ago. Don’t expect me to finish sniper cases that quickly.” Moonbyul chuckled, finally returning to her desk, and soon found the files of her current case in her overfilled desk drawer. “Time for a field trip.” She muttered to herself, stretched and took off her coat from its hanger and hurriedly stuffed her badge in the pocket of it. “I’m going out for an inspection. Behave and work on your cases everyone.” Moonbyul left after hearing a chorus of ‘okay’ come from the office.

 

 

During her small inspection, Byulyi asked several people if they have seen a woman with pink hair, and displayed an image of her face, only two people saying that they know who she was and where they saw her last. While passing through a park, she heard a tree rustle followed by an audible thump. The sudden noises raised Byul’s awareness and concern, she prayed that it was only a bird or squirrel, not her target.


 

After Moonbyul looked thoroughly for any anomalies in scenery, she decided to enter a nearby shop to buy something small. That’s when she felt a chill surge through her veins, as if she was being targeted. Hunted down. Watched. Byul spun around and as she looked through the glass door she just came in through, she saw a red spot refracting from the glass.


 

“Is everything alright, dear?” An old lady behind the counter asked her, seeing Moonbyul’s worried, almost hurt expression.


 

“Detective Chief Inspector MoonByulyi.” She took her badge out from her coat pocket and opened it with one hand and soon put it back into its respective place. “I’m here to ask… Have you seen a woman with short, pink hair around here? Usually wears black, or dark colours in general.”


 

The old lady pondered upon the question for a moment before nodding her head.


 

“She lives in a studio flat three streets from here and only comes here to buy crisps and water. Although, through these past few weeks I’ve seen her with a really large black bag resembling somewhat of a weapon. I don’t remember much else.” the old lady replied, causing Moonbyul to take out a notepad and a pen, writing down the key points of the new data she has found.


 

“Do you know her apartment number by chance?” Moonbyul asked and looked up at the woman with keen curiosity.


 

“Uhh, I don't think so, but she dropped her keys once and I saw a number along the lines of 221. Please excuse me as my eyesight isn't the best.” the lady bowed.


 

“And your name please?” Moonbyul asked, the feeling of being watched still stuck to her like velcro. After the woman said her name, Moonbyul bowed and exited the shop with much needed caution.


 

Her eagle-like eyes spotted a slight pink colour among the leaves, but it soon dissipated after Moonbyul took out her phone and dialed to Hyejin.


 

“Hwasa, I found my target. Send an unmarked car to Hyde Park. We’re searching for this .” Moonbyul huffed, hanging up instantly after she finished her sentence, knowing that her acquaintance would follow the orders of an upper rank.


 

Not long after, a dark gray BMW 3 Series pulled up next to Byul, tipping their hats to the upper class.


 

“Alright everyone, 5 minutes have passed since I called upon you. Do not hesitate to ask patrol for clues. If you see a pink-haired woman, run after her and report to Main office. I’ll help you too. To work!” Moonbyul commanded the detective sergeant unit and they ran into the park, trying to look as casual as possible. During this time, Moonbyul walked through the front gates, constantly searching for the pink-haired sniper.

 

 

With no luck, the detective unit came back to the parking lot where their car was located. Moonbyul soon arrived as well with quite an annoyed look stuck to her face.


 

“S-Sorry Chief Inspector. We-” The representant of the unit felt disgraced with himself.


 

“No, no, it's alright. She’s awfully quick and hard to catch. You can return to office now.” Moonbyul grabbed her phone and checked the time. 19:01. Only half an hour remained until the end of her shift. She contemplated if she should call Hyejin, but didn’t want to disturb her work more than once.


 

Walking back to her office, Moonbyul noted more things down, including that she was the target of the Pink Sniper. As soon as she arrived, she collapsed into her chair, breathing a sigh of exhaustion, worry and anger.


 

“What’s up, Byulyi?” Hyejin questioned, concerned with her friend’s state. She looked up from her computer and saw the messed-up state Moonbyul was in. “Holy . Everything okay?”


 

“Yeah, read this.” Moonbyul handed over her notebook and Hyejin looked through the notes, becoming more and more shocked as she came to the end.


 

“Hold on, you think you’re her current target?” Hyejin asked to make sure Moonbyul wasn’t drunk. Byul’s response was a strong nod as she closed her eyes, in need of rest.


 

“I mean, if I didn’t have a laser point constantly on my body I don't think I would be as concerned as I am now.”


 

“Please allow me to transfer my case to another Inspector that is willing to take over.” Hyejin sighed, hoping her request to come through.


 

“You’re willing to assist?” Moonbyul lifted her head with wide eyes.


 

“Of course. Your life is on the line. She could snipe you at any point. Anyway, wanna come over to mine? Our duty has ended.” Hyejin smiled as her tone turned from soft to almost flirty.


 

“Sure. It’s all matter of time until we catch the Pink Sniper. Let me just transfer your current cases.” Moonbyul booted up her computer and changed Hyejin's cases, and added a note that she’s assisting DCI Moonbyulyi.

 


 

A strong smell of coffee filled the flat that Moonbyul and Hyejin shared - A small, cheap apartment that was sufficient enough for the two of them, especially since they were constantly at work solving cases and whatnot. But what Hyejin always found strange, is that Byulyi never let her - or anyone - into her room. Soon there was incoherent mumbling coming from the living room as Hyejin checked up on the news while getting prepared for the day. 
 


A tired Moonbyul strolled into the kitchen like a zombie, lazily prepared her coffee and went into the living room, collapsing on the sofa with an annoyed grumble. 
 


“Another restless night and still the same case.” Moonbyul slurred her words as she attempted to kickstart her system with the coffee she prepared earlier. “But I did notice something. There was once a DC that looked awfully similar to her, don’t you think?” 
 


“I mean, that was ages ago, and since there’s constantly new cases, there is no way I can remember her face clearly enough.” Hyejin looked at Byulyi, taking a sip of her coffee. 


“You’re right…” Moonbyul took a deep breath, trying to remove the thought from her brain. “We should still look out for it though, maybe it’s in some old files?” 


“Moonbyulyi, stop thinking about it. You’re just gonna waste your time and derail your train of thought.” Hyejin muttered, slightly annoyed with her friend for caring about such a trivial thing.


 

“Okay, okay, I will,” Moonbyul huffed, finishing her coffee and walking back into her room to get changed. Hyejin grabbed her bag and took their car keys, and waited for Moonbyul at the door. 


“Hurry up, you lazy-” Hyejin yelled after 5 minutes have passed since Moonbyul walked into her room.


 

“Yes, yes, I’m like, right there.” Moonbyul yelled from her room, tied up her shoes and soon left the room.


 

“Let’s go crack that case once and for all, shall we?”