Bonus chapter

The fear within

Throwback to the first day of school.

 

Kyungsoo POV

 

I was sleeping peacefully until the alarm clock decided to put an end to this fantasy. I looked it's way.

“6.45 already?”

No, this can't be true. I let out a deep sigh and stopped the alarm. I rushed to the bathroom to get prepared.I’ll just wear a simple white tee and a pair of denim jeans, since I don't have a uniform yet.

I looked at the alarm clock once again. It read 7.10.

Great! I rushed downstairs to the kitchen. I decided to make some kimbap. Fast and easy.

As soon as I finished cooking. I ran back upstairs. But instead of entering my room, I entered the room next door.

“Halmoni,wake up. I made us some breakfast.” She didn't react. I kind of knew this was going to happen so I started singing Arirang. She's finally waking up. Her eyes opened slowly as her lips turned into a smile.

I couldn't help letting out a victorious smile.

“Good morning, halmoni.”

 

“Good morning, darling.” she yawned as she stretched her arms.

 

“I made us some breakfast. So that we can eat it together before I leave for school.”

 

“Breakfast! Oh sweetie,you didn't have to. If I had woken up earlier I would have made you breakfast  instead.” She said half asleep.

 

“Don't worry, I made it with love. Are you coming?”

I saw that she was searching for something.

“Yes, But have you seen my glasses somewhere?” she asked while she continued searching for it on the bookshelf.

 

I smiled at her. "It's on your night desk.”I said giggling a little.

“oh, how couldn't I see them!”

Halmoni tends to lose her glasses a lot. But most of the time they're at the most obvious places.


 

At the moment of entering the kitchen. I actually felt hungry. Making this breakfast was a wise impulse after all. Halmoni already started eating.

The sight of her enjoying the food made me genuinely happy.

 

I glanced at the clock. If I really want to be on time, it would be wise to leave now.

 

“Halmoni, it's time for me to go.” I eventually said.

“Already?” You haven't had the chance to enjoy your own food.”She pouted.

 

She stood up , grabbed a lunch box and started to put some fresh pieces of kimbap in it. She handed it over to me.

 

“Here you go.This way you can still enjoy your food, and you can show the kids at school how good your cooking abilities are.”she winked at me.

“Ha, well if you say so.” I smiled sheepishly.

She just made me realize that I'll be the new kid in school. I have this strange feeling that I would stick out in a negative way. I mean, I don't even have a uniform yet! I forced myself to snap out of it. It won't be that bad. First school days are supposed to be fun!

 

I quickly grabbed my backpack. And gave halmoni a goodbye hug.

“Don't be nervous darling.”she said as she my hair.

“I'll try…”

 

I released myself from the embrace and walked out to the front yard, where my bike is parked.

I quickly grabbed it out of its place, and started riding it real quick. I was surprised to see that I was already on the end of the street.

There is no turning back.


 

When I arrived. I noticed that there were other students waiting in the school's front yard. I assumed they were all new kids since none of them was wearing a uniform. All patiently waiting.

This is weird, we got told that we should wait in front of the school so that a reliable source could give us a tour. He or she isn't here yet but we'll just wait then.

 

It's exactly 8.20 and still no sign of the guy! I wanted ask the guy standing next to me what was going on. But he seemed pissed off. Frowning his baby like face and hitting up his phone. It looked important so I will just let him be. So I asked the other guy on my right side. Who was like 2 times taller than I am. He seemed surprised.

“Uhm... sorry but when is he coming ?” I asked. I was basically forced to look up.

 

“Who?”

“The reliable source?”

“I have no idea.” He said while slightly shrugging his shoulders.

“I don't feel like waiting, he's definitely late.” The guy who was reading a book in cross-legged position said all of a sudden. The book must have been good. Cause since he's been reading it, his facial expressions couldn't be controlled.

 

He wasn't the only one who thought so . The 9 other guys all looked like they were a 110% done with waiting. And so am I.

 

It's 8.35 and STILL no one. The only change from the situation 20 min ago is that there was someone who joined us in the wait for the tour guide. First he smiled at us all. And then he just walked towards the tree as if it was an instinct. And fell asleep in a time that's faster than a blink. You can tell he does this often.

 

Nobody talked to each other, but I saw some of the waiting students exchange this ‘I can't believe we need to wait so long look’.

And others reacting with that ‘I know right.look’. That actually said enough.

 

Then all of a sudden the guy with nice skin stood up from the bench. And let out a deep sigh.

“Sorry I'm not doing this anymore.” he said while running towards the school gates.

Everybody else gave each other a ‘That's so brave of him! We should do the same look!’  

Honestly we should stop this speaking with your eyes thing and just talk,it was starting to get annoying. -.-

 

Next the sleeping guy woke up and started walking towards the school gate. He was the last one to arrive but the second one who was wise (or dumb) enough to go try to find their own way in the school.

The others saw him taking the initiative and followed. I know it wasn't cool to leave like that. But he left us no other choice, we can't wait forever and we don't want to miss our class. 2  good reasons to go.


 

What would you do? Wait for the guide who is way too late or try to find your own way.?

I wish I had chosen the first option! T.T

 

We are all new that's a fact. What's also true, is that no one knows where the class actually is…

Not even the sleeping guy that everybody blindly followed inside.

As soon as we reached the first classroom. The first thing I noticed, are the unusual class names. Isabu, what does that mean?

This is a school it shouldn't be hard to find your class. But actually it really is. After the others realized the sleeping guy wasn't making any progress (and that were just walking past the same class for the fifth time.) They slowly tried to find their own way. We were walking in a group at first. But every time I looked back. Someone left. First the super tall guy then the guy with puffy cheeks, then the guy with the book,then the beanie guy ,after baby face, then the panda, and then the guy who won't talk or look at you.

That leaves only me, sharp jaw and sleeping-

No! He left too T.T

 

“Wow,  I can't believe they all left.” Sharp jaw said breaking the silence.

Thank God that I'm left with someone who actually uses his mouth to speak !

“Don't worry, I'm sure that we're the only ones who will reach class in time.” He said while patting my shoulder.
“How? We've been trying forever.”

“I dunno we'll figure it out. I'm pretty sure that we should be looking for it on the third floor.”
“We've been there already. I'm sure that we should keep looking on the second one.”
“Okay okay.” he responded. I could see he wasn't convinced.

After another 10 minutes of walking through the halls. I noticed the guy looking back  the whole time. I wanted to tell him, that if he wants to go look for the classroom on the third floor he's free to go. But after what I've noticed with the others, he'll be leaving on his own. I quickly glanced at the classnames.

Class Uisang
"I think we're almost there."
No answer. I looked back. He wasn't there anymore. I sighed. He went to look for it on the third floor after all.


I wasn't paying attention for a while and that's when someone stumbled against me. I looked up too see who it was. He didn't look back.
..?"
"Sorry..."he said while he walked away rapidly.
..?"
Okay that was weird.
But who cares I finally found my class.

I knocked on the door. It took a while before someone opened the door.


"Hello, who are you?" The young teacher asked. I looked around, but to my surprise there were no students. Only stacks of books.

And a lot of different school uniforms and its sports variant hanging nicely in a clothes hanger.
“I'm Do kyungsoo." I responded with a polite bow.
"Ah yes I've been waiting for you. You're late though. He lifted an eyebrow. Where are the rest?"
"I don't know."
"No problem, I'll just wait a little longer. So here are your books for the year." He hastily said pointing at a tall stack of books.

”Here are the school and sports uniforms.”

He said while pointing to a rack full of clothes .
“Believe me you're gonna need your PE uniform a lot." He winked.

 

Obviously he just wanted to point out that he's a PE teacher.

“I'm a PE teacher.” He added.

“Didn't I tell you!”

And after that a long rant about how underrated PE class actually is and that he demands that everyone deserves more hours of PE class in a week followed.

Unfortunately PE is my least favorite subject. And as much as I want, I just didn't care.

 

But none of this actually matters right now. What matters now is reaching class in time. Which I still have a chance at if sir would stop his rant right now.

 

I really didn't want to interrupt him. Pure out of politeness, but he left me no other choice.

“Sir, excuse me but I'm in a hurry.”

 

“That's true! I got carried away! You should have stopped me earlier! Whenever it's about sports, I can't seem to stop. Sorry for robbing you of your time.”

 

“No need to excuse yourself,sir.”

He nodded his head showing that he appreciates my patience.

 

“Which uniform would you like? Uniform One, two, three or four?” He asked like it was the most normal case on earth.

 

I on the other hand couldn't believe that there are so many uniforms to choose from. Normally there's only one variant, whether you like it or not. But that's different here.

 

“Uhm...3?” I have no idea why I said that.

 

“So you're the sweater type?” He winked once again.

He searched through the racks of blue colored clothes.
He gave me a thick sleeveless sweater and a polo with a black tie combined with a pair of black trousers.

 

Credits to whoever made this uniforms! They have such an outstanding design. I've never seen so much detail in a school uniform before.
“Thank you.” I said receiving the uniform and observing it's beautiful fabric.
“No problem.” He said.
“Listen attentively to the following instructions.”
I nodded.
“You just need to make sure you're wearing your uniform before you enter class. Around the corner is the changing room, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Take your books with you and let Miss Kim know you're present. That's it I think…” He said thinking real hard.
“Oh yeah,almost forgot your locker key.” He opened a box full of keys and

after a minute of rumbling in the box, he handed over a small silver key.
“Here you go, locker 12.” It's a really big one.
“Thank you."
“Any questions?”
“Yes I do have one. Where is miss Kim's class?”

This question is really important we all saw what happened earlier.

“It's on the first floor, third door on your right side.”

 

I placed my uniform on top of my book stack. And said goodbye to the helpful PE teacher.

 

I went downstairs to the first floor after changing into my uniform of course.

It wasn't so difficult to find the class this time. Maybe it's just because of the fact that I know where I should be now.

 

I heard an extremely loud noise. Not just any noise,  the sound of the school bel. And that means that first period is over! I've already accepted the fact that I'm late but walking a little faster won't hurt. Some students are already on their way to their next class.

After a little walking effort. I was  ready to enter the class but not before letting the other students out.

When I thought that all students were out, I stumbled to a guy who was basically running out of class. The situation earlier was painless but this time it hurt and all my books fell out of my hands.

 

“Ouch, that hurt.” I instantly started rubbing my upper arm. When I looked up to see who it was, I saw the same guy I stumbled against earlier helping me picking up the books. He handed them over to me.

“I'm sorry, really sorry. Are you okay?”

“Yeah I was just startled.”

This time he apologized in a more positive way than earlier. I wanted to thank him for helping but before I could say anything,he said: “I need to run.” and that's exactly what he did. I watched him run of wondering why he's in such a hurry. But let's not worry about that now.

 

I entered the classroom seeing who I suppose was Miss Kim packing her bag.

“Hello miss, I'm Do Kyungsoo. I know I'm  late-”

“That doesn't matter. You're here now.”

She shook my hand and she even smiled at me.

This was weird I'm obviously late but it was like she doesn't care.

“Let's get you to your next class.” She grabbed her bag and walked out of the class. I followed.

After walking for awhile she broke the silence.

“Do you have any idea where the other new students are?”

Why does everybody keep asking me this same question. I really don't know. Maybe they're already in class or maybe they're still looking around but I honestly have no clue.

The way she asked was like she knew that I have the answer.

“No I don't, sorry.”

She somewhat ignored my answer.

“So at the end of the hall are the lockers. I assume you already got a key.” I nodded as she continued her explanation.

“And the second door on your right is where you have your next class. Understood?”

“I nodded.”

“OK that's that, have fun.” She finally said and she walked away.

I walked towards locker 12.The PE teacher was right it was indeed a big and roomy locker. It can definitely fit a lot more than just books.  I placed my books and my lunchbox in it.

I looked at the timetable that he gave me with my books. It seems that I've French class now.

I walked towards the door. I could feel my heart beat faster as I knocked on the door.



 

“Entre !” a male voice answered.

As soon as I entered, I was overwhelmed with a awkward atmosphere. Everybody was dead quiet. And worst of all, they were all looking at me…

“You're Do Kyungsoo the new student right? Welcome and have a seat.”

I could understand every single word of what he said. Those 5 years of learning this language wasn't for nothing. But yet I managed to give the dumbest answer ever.

“Uh...oui.” I walked towards the only empty chair in the class which happened to be at the back of the class.

I don't know what's worse the fact that I couldn't answer a basic question in a normal way or that I could feel 10 pair of eyes following my movement. That isn't helping at all it only makes me more nervous than I already am.

This is just so awkward. I want to go home.

 

He continued.

“Has anyone seen Yifan?” he asked while looking around to see if he was truly absent.

“He isn't present sir.” a random blond girl answered.

“But he was in history class earlier.” this time it came from a guy.

“Momo and Jackson,how many times did I tell you to respond in French?”

“Sorry Mr Kim Ryeowook” They said at the same time.

“He went home after visiting the nurse.”  Another random dude said.

“See take an example of Yoongi. Raising his hand AND responding in French.”

The guy was obviously flattered. But he tried to keep his laughter when he saw the 2 who got scolded glaring at him.

 

“That's that.” he said while writing something down.

“So for today I'm going to give you a test.”

The entire class started to sigh and complain heavily. Which I completely understand it's like the first day of school and we're already having an unannounced test!

“And it's worth 35 points”

Everybody started to complain even more than before.

“Don't worry it's just an easy test to see how much you remember from the past tenses you've learned last year.”

 

That's when everybody started to calm down but not without a curse word here and there.

 

“Shhhhh. I want complete silence before I start distributing the test.”

They all stopped talking and Mr Kim started  distributing the tests.

As soon as I got mine, I started to fill in all the questions. Which results in me finishing before the rest.

I took advantage from that and I started to look around. I felt someone staring at me. I saw that it was the guy who was also among the ones waiting for the tour. The brave one who managed to get in class on time.

He wasn't trying to make his test. He was just staring.

He noticed me staring at him so I looked away.

 

“Time’s up. Pens down.” Mr Kim said.

Everyone sighed in relief.

 

“Jongin. Would you be so friendly to pick up the tests please.”

“Yeah, oui.” the brave one answered as he stood up to do what was asked.

 

“Was it easy?” Mr.Kim asked.

“No!” the whole class answered.

“I'm sure we all failed the test !”Jackson said. Everyone agreed with Jackson’s statement. And started to talk among themselves.

“Minus me.”Jongin said to himself but loud enough for me to hear. That comment made me smile.

He looked up from the stack of paper that he was holding and asked me:

“Can I have your test… please?”

“Yeah, here.” I gave him my test.

“Thank...you” He said. He continued his task. But not without looking back at me. And to my surprise he smiled.