Don't Leave

Daejae A-Z One-Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Five years. It's been five years since Daehyun and Youngjae first started dating. They've known each other since freshman year of high school, but were not official until Daehyun confessed to Youngjae during their sophomore year. They knew nearly everything about each other such as their favorite color, their aspirations, their fears, and their escape place when they wished to be alone. They knew when to make each other laugh, when to give their distance, and when they needed their harsh and honest opinion. If they have a chance, they woud always go in a date whether it's to watch a movie, eat out, or stay at home and watch the latest episode of their favorite TV show. As college students, they decided to share the same apartment since they both attended the same university. Plus, it would be easier to adjust since they already knew about each other's household habits.

  Someone looking from the outside would think they would get married and have a family together in the future, but even they haven't thought about it considering how busy their schedules were.

  They were now on their junior year and preparing for their lives ahead. They knew at some point, they would go their separate ways as Youngjae dreamed to become a doctor while Daehyun dreamed to become an engineer. They rarely had time for each other as their classes became more extensive and required hours and hours of studying. A few times they would go for days without seeing each other simply because their schedules wouldn't match.

  But Youngjae didn't mind. He was used to it.

  "So, how are you and Daehyun lately? It's been, what? Five years?" Youngjae's friend, Yongguk asked as they were eating lunch.

  "Same old, same old. We've both been busy, so we haven't been seeing each other often, but I did see him a few days ago. He was studying in his room at that time, so I didn't bother him," Youngjae explained while poking at his food. 

  Yongguk bit his lip, watching as Youngjae mindlessly played with his food. He may not have known Youngjae as long as Daehyun did, but he was good at reading people. It didn't help that Youngjae was expressive, so it was obvious when he was down. Of course, he would deny it, but Yongguk knew better. "How's the relationship?"

  Youngjae froze. Slowly, his eyes look up at Yongguk. "It's quiet, but that's normal lately. I mean, sometimes we're home on the weekends, and we do our own thing. He's typically watching TV or studying or going out to eat while I'm on my laptop writing. There's honestly nothing wrong with it because... because..." He tried finding the right words. "When you know someone for so long, you get used to their presence and there's this comfortable silence when you're around them. I don't know. We don't really talk much and I'm okay with that."

  "I see."

  "Is there something wrong?"

  "No. If you're happy, then that's all good, right?"

  For some reason Youngjae couldn't answer him right away. He wanted to say, "Yes. I am happy," but despite those thoughts, he simply smiled and nodded his head. He heaved a sigh. "He's been good to me. That's all I ask for. Oh, and he makes the best food."

  Yongguk just wasn't convinced. There was something in Youngjae's voice that just didn't sit well with him, but he didn't push it further. Everyone reacts differently to certain situations, and Yongguk believed Youngjae knew what he was doing. Instead, he changed the subject and began talking about tonight's study session.

  When Youngjae returned to the apartment from the library, it was already three in the morning. He found Daehyun passed out on the couch with a novel on his stomach with his hands folded over it. Youngjae chuckled. Quietly, he made his way to the couch and sat on the edge, hoping not to wake him up. He peered at the book, but couldn't make out the title as Daehyun's hands completely covered it. Leaning over, he smelled his scent - that familiar scent - before giving him a peck on the forehead. He truly missed him. They haven't been on a date for over a month now, and Youngjae was missing it. He didn't care if it was for a simple dinner or just to relax at home, but no matter how many times Youngjae hinted at it, Daehyun would disregard it and say he needed to study or he already made plans with his friends. It hurt Youngjae, but he knew his boyfriend has his own life.

  "Goodnight, Daehyun," Youngjae whispered. Seeing that Daheyun didn't stir, he re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter