Three Times

I'll Be There For You

Yes, I turned this into a multi-shot fic/series! I'm actually excited about what will happen so hop on this ride with me xD Hahaha I already have a few ideas in mind, and I'm gonna tell you here that I'm not strictly gonna follow the stuff from FRIENDS although I'd still borrow scenes/situations from there too :) For example, although Chaeyoung is kinda like Phoebe in the first chapter I'm not gonna make her part of the main group, because the Phoebe having kids storyline is too complicated for me plus, I can't really imagine my baby tiger as a pregnant woman hehe! So yeah, things like that. For this story Chaeyoung is Dahyun's friend from outside their group of five but will pop in from time to time. Oh and I changed the title too :) This is now called "I'll Be There For You".

Okay, I've been rambling on for too long already. And since most of the comments are about asking for the other perspective (Sana-Nayeon-Dahyun), here it is, and again, Happy Holidays!

-------------------------------------

 

 

“Aw, come on, Dubu, you have to come!” Sana pleads, her arms around one of Dahyun’s, her head on Dahyun’s shoulder. “I mean, it’s my wedding.”

 

Dahyun smiles apologetically. “I’m sorry, unnie. I don’t think I can go. I have that, uh… that job thing.”

 

Sana stands up straight and frowns. “What job thing?”

 

“Well, Chaeyoung and I have this gig.”

 

“A gig?” Jeongyeon asks. “Aren’t you guys supposed to be like the wedding duo?”

 

That’s Dahyun’s job. She and Chaeyoung teamed up so they could work at weddings—Chaeyoung with her photography and Dahyun with her music. They had hooked up with Chou Tzuyu, one of the most famous wedding planners in town, and since then the DubChaeng Duo, as Tzuyu likes to call them, has been in demand for weddings.

 

“Yes, Jeongyeon,” Dahyun answers, feeling exasperated, “and that’s the DubChaeng Duo for you.”

 

“Well that’s great because Nayeon and I don’t have a photographer and a pianist yet!” Sana cheers excitedly, but her younger sister Mina raises an eyebrow at her.

 

“Haven’t you and Nayeon agreed on the wedding band already?” Mina reminds her.

 

Sana glares at her sister. “Well, yeah, but… I’m sure Nayeon wouldn’t mind as long as our Dubu would be there, right?”

 

“I’m flattered, unnie,” says Dahyun, “but really, Chaeyoung and I are already booked for another wedding on that date.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

“You said WHAT?”

 

Dahyun had originally told Chaeyoung the events that transpired earlier with the intention of asking advice on whether or not she did the right thing. But all Chaeyoung heard was that Dahyun turned down the opportunity for another job—a job in London, no less.

 

“Chaeng, please, focus on the issue here,” Dahyun tells her.

 

“But that is the real issue here.” Chaeyoung huffs, her arms crossed now.

 

“Ugh, I shouldn’t have told you this.” Dahyun shakes her head. “I should have talked to Mina instead.”

 

“Okay, I’m sorry,” Chaeyoung says. “Let’s start over. Why did you say you couldn’t go?”

 

“Because I’m her ex! That’s too weird.”

 

“It’s only weird if you still have feelings for her. So… do you?”

 

For their first date, Sana drives Dahyun out for a night picnic by the river. It had been a surprise, and Sana had told Dahyun to dress casually, so Dahyun thought they were just watching a movie or maybe going to the arcade. Well, actually, they did watch a movie—Sana brought her laptop and they watched La La Land under the stars. It was all Sana’s idea but she asked for help from her sister; Mina was actually the one who cooked their dinner. The only contribution Sana had for the dinner was the box full of choco pies for dessert and of course, it was what Dahyun enjoyed the most.

 

“Dahyun-ah…” Sana says, softly. They’ve staring up at the night sky for a while now, but Sana early on decided that staring at Dahyun’s eyes is a much better activity.

 

“The moon is beautiful, isn’t it, Dahyun-chan?”

 

Dahyun turns to face Sana. She knows what it meant; Mina had told her about it before, how it had been her and Sana's dream to hear it from, or say it to someone. When she sees Sana and looks her in the eyes all Dahyun could think of is how she looks ethereal tonight. Sana may be the one who pursued her but, right now, Dahyun can’t believe she’s here with a goddess.

 

“Yes, it is, Sana,” she replies.

 

Sana smiles, understanding the meaning behind those words. After everything they went through to get here, they’re finally together. She rubs her finger on Dahyun’s cheek, trying to imprint on her memory the way it feels. She leans into Dahyun and kisses her—gently, innocently at first, and Dahyun does the same. Under the stars, away from the noise—it’s the perfect night, and Sana and Dahyun will come to remember this night as their first time.

 

“You still have feelings for her!” Chaeyoung exclaims when Dahyun falls into silence.

 

“Yes and that is why I can’t go to her wedding,” Dahyun admits.

 

“Oh.” Chaeyoung hums. “Okay, I understand. Yeah, that was probably a good decision.”

 

“Yeah, yeah… You know, unless…”

 

Chaeyoung raises an eyebrow. “Unless what?”

 

“Well, Sana has only known Nayeon for like 2 months. Don’t you think that’s too fast?”

 

“Well, yeah, kind of, but you guys talked to Sana about it, right? And she already said she loves Nayeon. Now you have to fully support her decision.”

 

“Yes, but… Chaeyoung, what if Sana still loves me?”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widen in her shock. “Unnie what are you talking about? You and Sana have been over for more than a year now.”

 

“Yes, but… But I can still feel that she loves me, okay?”

 

“Unnie.” Chaeyoung says, looking seriously at Dahyun, her voice sounding like she’s ordering Dahyun to look at her. “Don’t do anything stupid.”

 

“Stupid?” Dahyun scoffs. “What are you talking about? I’m right, okay?”

 

“But Sana is getting married. Please, don’t you realize this?”

 

“I do.” Dahyun nods, her eyes seemingly far away. “That’s why I gotta tell Sana that I love her. Now. I’m going to London.”

 

“What? No! Dahyun what are you thinking? You’re gonna take a last minute flight to the other side of the world to ruin a wedding?”

 

“Well, the wedding hasn’t started yet, has it? I just… I just wanna make sure that Sana is making an informed decision.”

 

“Informed decision?” Chaeyoung rolls her eyes. “Dahyun, please, don’t do this to yourself.”

 

“I’m not even listening to you anymore, Chaeng. Goodbye and see you in 3 days.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

Dahyun goes straight to the church so that she would make it just before the wedding. With her luggage she runs from inside the taxi to where Sana is, only to find her talking with Nayeon.

 

“We’re not supposed to see each other before the wedding, you know,” Nayeon teases Sana, whose arms are wrapped around her waist.

 

“I just can’t resist looking for you,” Sana replies in her soft voice. “I was so excited to see you in this dress.”

 

Nayeon smiles mischievously and leans into Sana’s ear. “Now I’m all excited for you to remove this dress—”

 

“Guys,” Mina speaks from behind them and clears , with Momo beside her, “Nayeon’s supposed to go to the entourage now. You’ll be able to do… what you guys were doing later.”

 

Sana scoffs at her sister. “Geez, Minari, you can say the word ‘’, you know?”

 

Momo suddenly looks panicked. “? Who had ? I didn’t have .” She looks at Mina and shrugs. “Did you have ?”

 

“Nope, I didn’t have !” Mina exclaims.

 

“Okay, don’t do overdo the word,” Sana says, clearly annoyed. But then she turns and sees Dahyun, and her expression softens.

 

“You came!” Sana squeals, running to Dahyun and hugging her. “Oh Dahyunnie, you came!”

 

“Yeah, well…” Dahyun replies sheepishly. “Look, Sana. I… I just… I came here because… I wanted to tell you something.”

 

Sana looks at her expectantly, and Dahyun sees that glint in her eyes. After all, it is her wedding day. The happiest day of her life.

 

Dahyun couldn’t just ruin that.

 

“I…” She takes a deep breath. “I want to congratulate you on your wedding.”

 

Sana reveals that ear-to-ear grin and pulls in Dahyun for a hug again. “Thank you, Dahyunnie. That really means a lot.”

 

And for a moment, Dahyun believes that she’s okay, that she’s happy for Sana.

 

But then Sana says her name at the altar, and she’s thrown back into that state again.

 

She tries to talk to Mina for sound advice but the older girl seems distracted. In the end it doesn’t matter because Dahyun’s convinced herself that Sana’s still in love with her. And so she makes a beeline for Sana to try to ask her what that slip-up meant.

 

Dahyun waits for Sana in a corner, thinking of how she should ask without being too eager about it. Then she sees her, pacing about outside her and Nayeon’s room.

 

“Hi,” Dahyun says as she approaches her.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Sorry things aren’t working out so well,” Dahyun tells Sana in the most genuine way possible, even if it's half-meant.

 

“Oh no, no…” Sana insists but eventually gives up and lets out a sigh. “Okay, it could be better. But... it’s gonna be okay, right?”

 

Dahyun gulps. “Oh, yeah. Of course. I mean, she’s gonna get over this, you know. So you said my name. You just said it because you saw me there. If you’d seen a circus freak, you would’ve said: I take thee, Circus Freak. It didn’t mean anything, it’s just a mistake. It didn’t mean anything… right?”

 

“No, no! Of course it didn’t mean anything.”

 

This is how Dahyun’s heart breaks, for the first time, in London.

 

“I mean,” Sana continues, “I can understand why Nayeon would think it meant something, you know, because it was you. But it absolutely didn’t. It didn’t! It didn’t!” Sana screams that last part in the direction of their room.

 

“Sana, hey,” Jeongyeon says, walking towards her and Dahyun, “the band’s ready outside for your first dance with Nayeon.”

 

“Oh, oh, the band’s ready!” Sana repeats but sarcastically, putting her hands up in the air. “Well we’ve gotta do what the band says—I don’t care about the stupid band!”

 

Jeongyeon stands still, then wipes her face. “You spit on me, man,” she cries as she does so.

 

Sana sighs, now feeling guilty at her outburst. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Nayeon is taking kind of a long time,” Jeongyeon admits. “When Jihyo—you know, Jihyo, right? The wedding photographer you hired under my recommendation? Anyway, when she locked herself up in the bathroom at her wedding, it was because she was trying to pop the window out of her frame, get the hell outta there, you know?”

 

Jeongyeon, Sana, and Dahyun chuckle trying to imagine the situation, but not long after Sana realizes that that could be the very same thing with Nayeon. But by the time she opens the door to their room, it’s too late.

 

-------------------------------------

 

When Sana wakes up she’s all alone; Momo and Mina must have left her to pack up for their flight. She’s groggy at first but it’s still Nayeon in her thoughts. And so, when the bell rings, she immediately makes a dash towards the door, hoping for a miracle.

 

“Nayeon?” she says as she opens the door, which only reveals Nayeon’s parents.

 

“Nope,” Mr. Im deadpans, glaring at Sana. He and his wife enter the room and looks for Nayeon’s bags.

 

“Forget about Nayeon,” Mrs. Im tells Sana. “She’s not with us.”

 

“We’ve come for her things,” Mr. Im adds.

 

“Wait, w-where is she?” Sana frantically asks the couple.

 

“She’s in hiding,” Mr. Im answers. “She’s utterly humiliated. She doesn’t want to see you ever again.”

 

Dahyun passes by the room with the open door (that everyone forgot to close) and so she decides to come inside quietly and listen to the conversation—which apparently is over.

 

“Goodbye, Minatozaki,” Mr. Im spits out, starting to walk out of the room.

 

“Wait! Hold on, hold on,” Nayeon pleads, grabbing her father-in-law’s arms. “Look. Your daughter and I are supposed to leave tonight for our honeymoon. Tell her that I’m gonna be at that airport, and I hope that she’ll be there too. Yeah I said Dahyun’s name at the wedding, but that doesn’t mean anything. She’s just a friend, that’s all.”

 

For the second time in London, Dahyun’s heart breaks.

 

“Just tell Nayeon that I love her, and that I can’t imagine spending my life with anyone else. Please, promise me that you’ll tell her that.”

 

Mr. Im looks at Sana. She seems so desperate and losing hope, and even though it’s his daughter that was humiliated, he grants this woman’s wish.

 

“Alright. I’ll tell her.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

Since Dahyun caught a last-minute flight to London, she hasn’t booked a flight back to Korea yet; now she’s waiting for available flights that could get her back home. While waiting she notices Sana, who’s probably hoping for someone else (who isn’t her) to arrive. Thinking that it’s probably better if she and Sana don’t talk for a while she tries to avoid her, but Sana sees her and gestures to her.

 

“Dahyunnie! Hey, Dahyunnie!”

 

Dahyun stops in her tracks. “Oh, hi!”

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“Well, I’ve been on standby for a flight home for hours.”

 

“Oh.” Sana nods.

 

“So no sign of Nayeon, huh?” Dahyun asks, even if it hurts her heart to do so.

 

“Not yet,” Sana sighs, sitting back down in her seat.

 

“So, umm… What time are you supposed to leave?”

 

“This is the last call for flight 1066 to Athens,” the speakers blast through the departure hall. “The last call.”

 

“Pretty soon, I guess,” Sana says to Dahyun in reply.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I just don’t understand. I mean, how could she do this? Am I a complete idiot for thinking she’d actually show up?”

 

“No,” Dahyun tells her, smiling, “you’re not an idiot, Sana. You’re a girl very much in love.”

 

“Same difference.”

 

“All passengers for flight 1066 to Athens should now be onboard,” the speakers boom again.

 

“I get it!” Sana, now exasperated, screams at the air, then sighs deeply. “Well that’s that.”

 

Dahyun glances at Sana. The woman is clearly miserable. And even though she did make a colossal mistake at her own wedding, nobody deserves this kind of treatment. No one, especially not Sana.

 

“No, you know what?” says Dahyun. “I think you should go.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah, you should go. By yourself, get some distance, clear your head. I think it would be really good.”

 

Sana shakes her head. “I don’t know.”

 

“Oh come on, unnie. I think it would be really good for you.”

 

Sana hesitates for a while, but eventually considers it. Dahyun has a point; maybe the distance would set her thoughts straight (A/N: pun unintended). Nayeon is giving Sana a hard time, even though she already apologized loads of times.

 

“Okay, I could do that,” Sana admits. “I can’t even believe her! You know what? I am going to go.”

 

“Good!” Dahyun cheers her on.

 

“I mean, why not, right?”

 

“Right!”

 

“Thanks.” Sana stands up and grabs her bag, ready to board the plane.

 

“Okay, I’ll see you back at home—if I ever get a flight outta here.”

 

“Hey, well… Nah.”

 

“What? What?”

 

“Why don’t you come?” says Sana, holding out the ticket. “I mean, I have two tickets. Why not?”

 

“Really?” Dahyun asks, and she’s surprised to hear that her voice isn’t shaking, even though she feels that her whole body is.

 

“Yeah, it’d be great,” Sana insists. “You can lay on the beach, and I... I can cry over my failed marriage. Really, I mean… I could use a friend.”

 

Dahyun thinks it through for a while. If Mina were here with her she’d probably slap her with a fork or something, telling Dahyun that she knows she has ulterior motives to go with Sana and whatnot. But Mina isn’t here, right? And Sana did say she could use a friend… right? So as her friend she has to go comfort her friend, right?

 

“Yes!” Dahyun finally answers. “I can do that.”

 

“Okay, cool!” Sana exclaims, and for a fraction of a second there Dahyun thinks she sees that sparkle in Sana’s eyes again.

 

“Alright, cool.” Dahyun smiles at her, following her towards the boarding gate. “Okay, we’re going to Greece!”

 

“Oh wait, I forgot my jacket! You tell them to wait,” says Sana, urging Dahyun to go ahead, which the younger girl does. Sana goes back to the seat she had occupied just minutes ago to pick up her jacket, and when she stands up there she sees—who else but her wife.

 

“Nayeon…” she hums, overwhelmed with the happiness of seeing her. Nayeon, on the other hand, looks furious—even more so than when Sana said Dahyun’s name instead of hers. It takes half a minute for Sana to understand why and by the time she does, Nayeon’s started to run away. And of course, Sana has no choice but to run after her. She’ll apologize to Dahyun later.

 

And when the plane takes off without Sana by her side, Dahyun’s heart breaks in London for the third time.