London, Baby!

I'll Be There For You

“Friends, family, we’re gathered here today for the joyous union of Sana and Nayeon.”

 

They’re at a church in London—it had been Nayeon’s decision to hold the wedding there, even though they both lived their entire lives in Korea. It had been Nayeon’s dream, she had said, so how could Sana not agree? Of course, the people around them were reluctant to go at first since it would take up so much of their time—and money, as Jeongyeon pointed out. In the end, they went out of their way to support the happy couple. Even Dahyun, who couldn’t go at first because of her so-called “work matters”, bought a ticket at the last minute and went straight to the church.

 

“Now, Sana, repeat after me: I, Sana.”

 

“I, Sana.”

 

Nayeon smiles at her bride-to-be.

 

“Take thee, Nayeon,” the reverend continues.

 

“Take thee, Dahyun.”

 

A collective gasp, then ear-shattering silence fills the hall. The people look at each other, not knowing what to do, while Sana watches Nayeon’s face turn from angelic to monstrous in a second.

 

“I-I mean Nayeon,” Sana corrects herself, trying to salvage the situation. “Nayeon.”

 

“Shall I go on?” the reverend asks Nayeon.

 

“Yes, yes, do go on,” Nayeon answers with a rather stiff smile.

 

“I think, we’d better start again,” the reverend suggests. “Sana, repeat after me. I, Sana.”

 

“I, Sana.”

 

“Take thee, NAYEON,” he emphasizes.

 

“Take thee, Nayeon.” Sana tries to give her bride a genuine smile. “It’s not like there’d be anybody else,” she jokes, but it doesn’t amuse Nayeon at all.

 

“As my lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health, ‘til death parts us.”

 

And Sana repeats with certainty, “As my lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health, ‘til death parts us. Really, I do, Nayeon.”

 

“Nayeon, place this ring on Sana’s finger as a symbol of your bond everlasting.”

 

When she takes the ring, Nayeon grabs Sana’s finger and pushes—no, shoves the ring until Sana jerks away due to the pain.

 

“Sana, place this ring in Nayeon’s hand as a symbol of the love that encircles you forever.”

 

“Happy to,” Sana says, trying to assure Nayeon, but the other girl simply rolls her eyes as Sana puts the ring on her finger.

 

“Sana and Nayeon have made their declarations, and it gives me great pleasure to declare them, wife and wife. You may now kiss.”

 

Sana steps towards Nayeon and places her arms on her waist. She leans in for Nayeon’s lips but Nayeon turns away. Then Sana really tries to hard to kiss her wherever Nayeon’s face goes—it’s a painful sight to see, really, but eventually Sana gives up and just places a peck on Nayeon’s cheek. Needless to say, Nayeon doesn’t return the action. Music starts playing and the two finally walk down the aisle. Sana tries to appease Nayeon once more by holding her hand, but Nayeon swats it away.

 

“Just keep smiling,” Nayeon tells her.

 

“Well, that went well,” Jeongyeon, one of the maids-of-honour, remarks as the crowd watches the newlyweds walk out of the hall.

 

“It could’ve been worse,” says Momo. “She could’ve shot her.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

“You spoiled everything, it’s like a nightmare! My friends and family are out there. How can I face them? How can you do this to me?”

 

At the reception hall Momo, Jeongyeon, Mina and Dahyun are intently listening outside Sana and Nayeon’s room. For the past 5 minutes they have been hearing Nayeon scream at Sana, and Sana reassuring Nayeon that she made a mistake and that she loves her. Unfortunately Nayeon wouldn’t take any more of Sana’s reasons and just continues to lash out on her. So much for the happiest day of their lives.

 

The door opens and a slightly disheveled Sana comes out, calling out to the person inside the room, “That’s all right, no no, you take your time sweetie. I’ll be right out here.” Sana closes the door and smiles at her friends. “She’s just fixing her make-up,” she explains even though everyone knows it’s a lie.

 

“I hate you!” Nayeon shouts from inside the room.

 

“And I love you!” Sana replies with the same volume, walking away from the room and towards the center of the hall. As she tries to get everyone into the party mood Mina makes her way to the buffet table. Momo sees her and trails closely behind.

 

“Hey,” Momo starts the conversation.

 

“Hey,” Mina says back.

 

After the rehearsal dinner some lady from Nayeon’s family had mistaken Mina, Sana’s sister—Sana’s younger sister, for her mother. This is how Mina starts drinking tequila for the rest of the night, with Momo by her side to keep watch and to calm her down—and okay, have a few drinks herself. Momo convinced Mina to drink at Momo and Jeongyeon’s hotel room in case Mina had too much alcohol. Jeongyeon would probably be in one of the bridesmaids’ rooms, anyway.

 

“Come on, Mitang, that woman didn’t know what she was talking about,” Momo says as Mina swallows her nth shot. “She’s stupid.”

 

“Stupid, yeah,” Mina repeats. “Well, that’s a very nice argument.”

 

“No, but she is. Mina—” Momo looks at her in the eyes “—you’re one of the hottest people I know. If I were nearly as suave as Jeongyeon is, I would have hit on you.”

 

Mina stares at Momo with a pout, her eyes begging, pleading for something. “You’re just saying that,” she mumbles, her face falling on Momo’s shoulders from being tipsy.

 

“No, I’m not,” Momo reassures her, patting her head. “I don’t even know why you aren’t in a relationship right now. You’re smart, and pretty, and y, and when you dance… Honestly, I can’t even breathe.”

 

Mina lifts her head from Momo’s shoulders and looks at the older girl. “Do you… really mean that?”

 

Momo nods. “Yes, I do, Mina.”

 

Momo and Mina stare at each other in silence. Momo sees Mina staring at her lips while her own, and she realizes what’s happening, what’s going to happen. After what seems to be an eternity Mina finally leans in and locks lips with Momo.

 

For a split second, Momo debates whether or not they should actually do this. After all, both of them had alcohol tonight, albeit one a little too much than the other. But then Mina wraps her arms around her, pulls her close and puts her tongue in Momo's mouth, and all Momo could think now is how she hasn’t felt this good with anyone before.

 

Momo already thought of what to say, and yet she couldn’t say it. Somehow, she still could’ve believe what happened last night. She actually had with one of her best friends—with Mina, no less. She wasn’t kidding when she told Mina that she’s one of the hottest people she’s ever known. After last night though, Momo could say with utmost certainty that Mina is the hottest person she’s ever known. Momo never knew Mina could do those things—hell, she didn’t even know she could do it herself. If only the night lasted longer, but alas Momo knew all good things come to an end. At least the ones that happen to her, anyway.

 

“Ugh, wow, I hope you don’t take this the wrong way but,” Momo starts, “I know we had plans to meet up tonight and… I’m just kinda worried about what it might do to our friendship.”

 

“I know,” says Mina. “How could we have let this happen?”

 

“Seven times!” Momo exclaims, recalling the memory. It was a really good thing Jeongyeon wasn’t there.

 

“You know, look. We were away,” Mina states, trying to rationalize the situation, the way she usually does when she’s guilty of something but actually felt good about it.

 

“In a foreign, romantic country,” Momo replies, adding fuel to the fire.

 

“I blame London.”

 

“Bad London!” Momo whacks the roasted pig with the big serving spoon.

 

“So look, umm…” Mina shifts her foot, and Momo could almost guess what Mina’s going to say. She already knows her too well. “While we’re still in London, I mean, we can keep doing it, right?”

 

“Well, I don’t see that we have a choice. But when we’re back home, we don’t do it.”

 

“Only here.”

 

“You know, I-I saw a wine cellar downstairs,” Momo tells Mina in a hushed voice, leaning closer to her.

 

“I’ll meet you there in two minutes.”

 

“Okay!” Momo throws her plate on the table and runs to the other side of the hall. Mina fixes herself first before following the older girl. When she gets ready she hears a voice behind her. It’s Dahyun.

 

“Mina unnie? Unnie, I gotta ask you something.”

 

“Now?”

 

“Sana unnie… Sana said my name up there. I mean, come on, I can’t just pretend that didn’t happen, can I?”

 

“I don’t know,” Mina spews out, unable to contribute anything. She knows she should really help Dahyun—she’s her best friend for crying out loud—but with her raging hormones right now, Mina’s unsure if she can help.

 

“Mina, what should I do?”

 

“Just uh… do the right thing,” Mina says, opening wide for a whiff of her breath spray. She can’t go kissing Momo smelling like food—even though she’s 99% sure Momo wouldn’t mind.

 

Meanwhile Dahyun stares at her dumbfounded. “What?” she asks Mina.

 

“Tow the line! Thread the needle! Think outside the box!” More of random, shallow stuff that Mina could think of at the moment as she walks to the wine cellar where a certain jokbal-lover is waiting for her.

 

“Mina, wait! Listen. I think I’m just gonna talk to Sana about what she thinks it meant.”

 

“What? Wait, Dahyun, no.” As as she is right now, Mina couldn’t let her best friend not know her opinion on this. “She’s married. Married! If you don’t realize that, I can’t help you.”

 

“Okay. You’re right.” Dahyun nods. “You’re right. You can’t help me.”

 

Mina groans, but it’s Dahyun’s choice and she herself already made her opinion clear. As she runs off to the wine cellar she sees Momo down by the buffet table again and approaches her.

 

“You were supposed to be at the wine cellar!” Mina whispers furiously to the older girl.

 

“Forget it, that’s off.”

 

“Why?”

 

And as if on cue, a voice bellows from one side of the hall. It’s Mr. Im, Nayeon’s father, along with some wedding guests behind him.

 

“The next tour of the wine cellar will commence in two minutes.”

 

“Let’s go to my room,” Mina suggests as she hops off to the elevator, Momo excitedly following her.

 

-------------------------------------

 

“Listen,” Momo speaks as she and Mina approach the latter’s room, “in the middle of everything, if I scream the word ‘Yipee’ just ignore me.”

 

Mina chuckles at Momo’s bluntness even when they’re about to have . It doesn’t turn her off, though; in a way, she appreciates Momo being her usual self despite this unexpected situation they’re in.

 

Mina turns the key and opens the door, only to find a moping Dubu on her queen-sized bed.

 

“Oh my God, Dahyun!” Mina exclaims.

 

“Oh hello, Dahyun,” says Momo, trying to hide her disappointment but failing.

 

“Sana said my name,” Dahyun starts. “Okay? My name! Sana said my name up there. That obviously means that she still loves me!”

 

Dahyun looks at the two girls for reassurance; unfortunately she gets none at all.

 

“Okay, don’t believe me.” Dahyun puts her hands up. “I know I’m right, alright? So do you guys wanna go downstairs and get a drink?”

 

“Y-Yes, we do,” Momo answers hesitantly. She tries to ignore a shocked penguin glaring at her from the side. “But we have to change first.”

 

“Yes, I wanna change,” Mina says too eagerly. “Why don’t you go down and get us a table?”

 

“Yeah, we’ll be down in like five minutes.” Momo feels a sharp pain when Mina smacks her on the stomach.

 

“Fifteen minutes,” Mina corrects her.

 

“Okay,” Dahyun replies, a bit weirded out but shakes it off. She’s about to leave the room when her phone rings.

 

“Hello? Oh, Chaeyoung-ah! Hi!”

 

“So, what happened?” Chaeyoung asks from the other end of the line.

 

“Well, Sana said my name,” Dahyun responds, a bit smug.

 

“Yeah, I know, but I don’t think it means anything,” Chaeyoung tells her.

 

Then Dahyun sits on the bed and proceeds to tell the story of her and Sana—even though Chaeyoung and the rest of the gang were all there to witness the whole mess of it.

 

Unable to bear it any further, Momo whispers in Mina’s ear. “Hey listen, why don’t we go change in my room?”

 

“But my clothes are… Oh.”

 

The two girls leave Dahyun and go the upper floor to Momo and Jeongyeon’s room. Momo checks if her roommate is there at first. When she sees no one else inside she lets Mina in and closes all the locks on the door.

 

When the final lock clicks, Momo turns around to take in the beauty in front of her that is Mina.

 

“Wow, you look…”

 

“No time for that,” Mina says, removing the straps on Momo’s shoulders, her dress falling down and Momo shuffling to get off of them. Mina’s about to remove her own outfit when Jeongyeon barges into the door—luckily for Mina and Momo there’s a swing door guard so that the girl outside couldn’t see them.

 

“Hey, dude!” Jeongyeon calls out. “Let me in, I got a girl out here!”

 

“Well, I’ve got a girl in here!” Momo shouts, feeling frustrated now.

 

“No you don’t. I just saw you go in there with Mina.”

 

“Well we’re… we’re hanging out in here.” Momo walks closer to the door to talk to Jeongyeon.

 

“Which one of us is gonna have in there, me or you?” Jeongyeon asks her, full of confidence.

 

Momo inhales a deep breath to calm her nerves. “I suppose I would have to say you. Well... What if we’re watching a movie in here?”

 

“Which we are!” Mina finally speaks. “And we already paid for it. It’s Minions!” Mina shows Jeongyeon the DVD.

 

“Minions?” Jeongyeon squeals excitedly. “I love that movie!”

 

 

Ugh.

 

-------------------------------------

 

“You really think this is okay?” Mina asks Momo as they enter the honeymoon suite, their last resort.

 

“Well, Sana and Nayeon aren’t gonna use it,” Momo tells her.

 

Mina walks around the room and sees the champagne and the rose petals on the bed. “Oh, it’s so beautiful,” she sighs. “You know what, I don’t think I feel right about this.”

 

“No, Mina Mina Mina Mina Mina Mina.” Momo shakes her head. “This is the honeymoon suite. The room expects . The room would be disappointed if it didn’t get . All the other honeymoon suites would think it was a loser.”

 

For the nth time Mina finds Momo’s eagerness to have adorable, so now Mina has no choice but to say to Momo, “Okay!”

 

The girls start pulling the sheets from under the bed. The sheets are almost off when the door opens and Sana barges in, calling out for her missing wife.

 

“Nayeon?”

 

“Nope! Not under here!” Momo says in a panic, checking under a pillow that’s too small to hide Nayeon.

 

“You didn’t find her?” Mina asks her sister.

 

“No, I’ve looked everywhere!” an exasperated Sana replies.

 

“Well, you couldn’t have looked everywhere, or else you would’ve found her!” Momo says, a little too excitedly.

 

“Yeah,” Mina agrees, “I think you should keep looking!”

 

“Yeah, for about uh… 30 minutes?” Momo glances at Mina.

 

“Or 45?” Mina’s lips curve slightly upward in a smirk.

 

“Wow in 45 minutes you can find her twice,” says Momo. Mina nods at her knowingly.

 

“No!” Sana disagrees. “For all I know she was trying to find me but couldn’t because I kept moving around. No, from now on I’m staying in one place. Right here.” Sana plops herself on the bed. Momo looks at Mina and gestures to her that they should leave—immediately.

 

“Weeeeell it’s getting late,” Mina announces.

 

“Yeah we’re gonna go,” says Momo.

 

“Actually…” Sana starts, her voice soft. “Do you guys mind staying here for a while?”

 

Mina sighs. “You know, we gotta get up early and catch that plane.”

 

“Yeah, it’s a very large plane,” Momo adds.

 

“That’s cool.” Sana’s voice cracks.

 

“…But we’ll stay here with you,” Momo finally says.

 

“Thanks, guys!” Sana smiles. She turns to Momo confusedly. “I really appreciate this, but you know, you really don’t need to rub my .”

 

“Oh, sorry.” Momo spares a glance at Mina who has an alarmed look on her face. Lucky for them, Sana’s too sad about Nayeon to catch on.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Defeat. Dissatisfaction. Disaster. Both Momo and Mina feel this way at the airplane, already miles above the ground, going back home to Korea. They barely slept last night but not the good kind of losing sleep—comforting Sana kept them very much awake. And when the girl was finally able to sleep her body was on top of both Mina and Momo that the two couldn’t do anything until the sun came up.

 

“You know,” Mina says in the seat beside Momo, not looking at her, “maybe it’s best we never got to do it again.”

 

“Yeah, it kind of makes that… that one night special,” Momo answers, even though she feels the exact opposite. Then all of a sudden she comes up with an idea. “You know, technically, we still are over international waters.”

 

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom. Maybe I’ll see you there in a bit?”

 

“Okay!”

 

Momo watches Mina as she walks over to the back of the plane. She’s already planned to make this the best they’ve ever had—even better than the night of seven times—that Mina wouldn’t want to stop. Okay, so Momo hasn’t thoroughly thought out this plan; she just knows she wants Mina to feel good, because she deserves it.

 

“Hey.”

 

Momo jumps in her seat when she sees Jeongyeon beside her. God, why am I so unlucky?

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

“Uhh… No,” Momo answers. Unfortunately Jeongyeon’s either deaf or ignored her.

 

“So last night, this girl and I, we’re listening to IU last night, and just… Well that girl is a really amazing singer and songwriter, you know? It just made me wonder if I’ll be able to reach that level. I mean, do you think I’m kidding myself with this idol thing?”

 

“No,” Momo replies, wanting this talk to end already.

 

“But she writes really good songs! And her voice is just so beautiful and she’s beautiful… Do you think I’m actually gonna go somewhere if I continue this?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Thanks, man.”

 

“Aw, no problem, man.”

 

Momo starts to stand up but Jeongyeon grabs her arm. “But what if I write a song and the producers don’t like it, or my voice? A lot of things could go wrong, you know.”

 

The conversation drags on for about half an hour, with Jeongyeon’s worries about venturing into the idol world and following her idol IU’s footsteps. By this point Momo basically wants to rip her hair own out.

 

“Hey Mina,” Jeongyeon greets the girl when she sees her behind Momo. When Momo turns around she sees the girl glaring at her.

 

“You’ve been in the bathroom for like a half-hour,” Jeongyeon continues.

 

“I know!” Mina angrily replies, looking at Momo.

 

“Had the beef tips, huh?” Jeongyeon asks her, and Momo starts feeling dizzy from all that’s happened. She’s dizzy, lost sleep, and most importantly—she didn’t even get to have one last bang with Mina. Somehow she became a winner, and then went back to being a loser in the span of 48 hours.

 

As Jeongyeon, Momo and Mina enter the apartment building, Jeongyeon immediately checks on the chick and the duck in their apartment. Mina opens the door to hers and Momo follows, closing the door behind them.

 

“Well, we certainly are alone,” Mina states, walking over to the sofa but not sitting down. She just fidgets.

 

“Yes, good thing we have that ‘not in Korea’ rule,” says Momo, picking a peach from the fridge.

 

“Listen, since we’re on that subject, umm… I just wanted to tell you that, umm… Well, I was going through a really hard time in London, what with my sister getting married and that woman thinking I was Sana’s mother.”

 

“Right.” Momo nods.

 

“Well, anyway I just… That night meant a lot to me. And I guess I’m trying to say thanks.”

 

“Aww.” Momo smiles as she plays with the peach. “You know, that night meant a lot to me, too. And it wasn’t because I was in a bad place or anything, it just… meant a lot to me because… you’re really hot.”

 

Momo sees Mina chuckle again—but not the insulting kind, the kind that made Momo feel all fluttery inside. Still she asks Mina. “Is that okay?”

 

“That’s okay,” Mina answers, still chuckling.

 

“And… I’m cute too?” Momo urges, putting her best aegyo face in front of Mina.

 

“And you’re cute too.”

 

“Thank you!” Momo spreads her arms out wide and Mina does the same, the two pulling into each other for a hug.

 

“All right,” says Momo, pulling away first, “I gotta go unpack.” Momo walks to the door and smiles at Mina for the last time. This time, it’s Mina’s heart that flutters.

 

“Bye,” Momo says before closing the door.

 

Almost instantly Mina feels regret—regret that they didn’t get to do it one last time, regret that they wouldn’t get to do it again. She and Momo had been friends for what, six, seven years now? In that time Mina’s had her fair share of lovers, but she has to admit that that night with Momo was nothing like all of those lovers combined. She wonders if it was the right decision, not doing it anymore for the sake of their friendship, because if they did continue, Mina wonders... Could it turn into something more than friendship?

 

Mina takes a step, two steps, a few more steps until she’s at the door. Is she really going to do this? What if Momo says no? She lifts her hand to open the door but hesitates again.

 

Mina regains her composure and her self-control. She tells herself no and turns her back on the door. That’s it. She and Momo are never going to talk about this. They will go on pretending that that amazing night didn’t happen at all. It’s the best decision for everyone, Mina rationalizes.

 

Suddenly the door opens and Mina turns around; it’s Momo again.

 

“I’m still on London time,” Momo says. “Does that count?”

 

Mina looks at her longingly, and now she knows she’s whipped as hell. She doesn’t know how exactly it happened, but she is.

 

“Oh, that counts,” she tells Momo.

 

“Oh, good.”

 

Momo wraps her arms around Mina and kisses her with her whole being, and Mina welcomes the embrace as if they’ve been doing this for a long time, as if Momo fits perfectly with Mina’s body. Mina leads Momo to her room and she locks the door, isolating them from the distractions and chaos outside. As Momo kisses Mina and pushes her gently on the bed, Mina’s sure Momo wants this too and more. Finally, they’re alone. Finally, they both found their soulmates. Mina pulls the covers on top of them and finally, their bodies meld into one.

 

 

-------------------------------------

 

 

I'm awkward at writing "ual" scenes I'm sorry, even if those weren't actually truly ual/full-on ty lol. I'm thinking about writing the Sana-Dahyun-Nayeon part and back stories as well as sequels, but you know how bad I am so let's just hope for the best hehe. This is an AU fic anyway and honestly I get more inspiration with these type of fics, because it's hard to make a multi-shot fic when your ship is being frustrating xD I still believe in Mimo tho. Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, guys!

 

P.S. Do you guys have Twitter? Try to find me kekeke