The Choice

I'll Be There For You

It’s 4AM, but Momo’s wide awake. She usually isn’t, but she and a certain penguin agreed to meet around that time because everyone else is asleep by then. So Momo sneaks out of her room—she feels weird doing so but she has to make sure Jeongyeon doesn’t wake up. Slowly she starts walking towards the door when it creaks, revealing Mina who’s also careful in coming inside.

 

Mina’s in a bathrobe and Momo doesn’t know what it is but suddenly she feels like she’s in heaven and unconsciously smiles. This makes Mina smile, too, because who wouldn’t smile whenever Momo lights up like that?

 

Momo steps closer to Mina and immediately starts making out with her when she’s close enough. A few seconds later Jeongyeon’s bedroom door opens, and so Momo immediately pushes Mina away.

 

“Mina?” Jeongyeon asks, scratching her head. “What time is it?”

 

“Uhh, 7,” Momo responds, throwing away their digital clock which says “4:23”.

 

A confused Jeongyeon looks out the window. “But it’s dark out.”

 

“That’s because you always sleep ‘til noon, silly,” Mina tells her with confidence. “This is what 7 looks like.”

 

“Huh. I guess I’ll get washed up then; watch that sunrise.”

 

Jeongyeon walks to the bathroom and closes the door. Momo looks at Mina apologetically.

 

“I’m getting tired of always sneaking around,” Mina tells her.

 

“Me too,” Momo sighs. “Hey, you know what? What if we went away for the whole weekend? There’d be no interruptions, and we could be the entire time.”

 

“All weekend? That’s a whole lot of ,” says Mina, smirking at the thought.

 

“Yeah, I could say that I have a conference and you can have a chef thing.”

 

Mina gasps at this suggestion. “Oh, I’ve always wanted to go this culinary fair that they have in Hongdae!”

 

“Okay, you know you’re not, though.”

 

“Right.”

 

“Come on, let’s go,” Momo says, ushering Mina to her room.

 

“Wait! What about Jeongyeon?”

 

“Nah, she’s probably already asleep on the toilet with her toothbrush in .”

 

A few hours later Mina goes back to her apartment and prepares breakfast for the group. Momo finally wakes Jeongyeon up in the bathroom.

 

“Whoa,” Jeongyeon mumbles, rubbing her eyes. “How long was I out?”

 

“Uh…” Momo checks her watch for the time. It’s 7:14. “Just a few minutes.”

 

“Oh. You won’t believe the dream I just had. Seungyeon bought a dog, and—”

 

“Yeah, Jeongyeon, story time later; I still have to shower so we can eat at Mina and Dahyun’s.”

 

After getting showered and dressed the two girls walk across to the other apartment.

 

“Do I smell pancakes?” Jeongyeon woots immediately when they open the door.

 

“Yup!” Mina cheers as she sets the plate full of pancakes on the table.

 

“You sure are in a good mood today,” Jeongyeon observes. “But hey, I ain’t complaining, because it usually means good food!”

 

“Yeah, I am,” Mina responds, glancing at Momo and smirking when their eyes come into contact. “It’s ‘cause I’m going to that culinary fair in Hongdae this weekend.”

 

“That’s so weird,” says Jeongyeon, “Momo just told us she’s got a conference there.”

 

“Wow, that’s funny,” Mina replies, unamused. She turns to Momo. “Momo’s conference could’ve been in Jamsil or Dangsan.”

 

“I’m not in charge of where the conference is held,” Momo retorts. “Do you want people to think it’s a fake conference? ‘Cause it’s a real conference.”

 

The door opens and Sana comes in, interrupting the discussion, saving Momo and Mina from getting busted yet again.

 

“Hey,” the girls inside greet her.

 

“Hey, is Dahyun here?”

 

“Yeah but she’s asleep,” Mina answers. “And I think she’s all tucked in for a full, Dahyun-length sleep. I saved her some pancakes when she wakes up at like 7PM later.”

 

“So, uh, what are you gonna do about the whole Nayeon thing?” Momo asks Sana, referring to how Nayeon had agreed to live with Sana and continue their marriage on the condition that the latter cut ties with Dahyun.

 

“Honestly, I don’t even know yet,” Sana confesses.

 

“I must admit,” Jeongyeon starts, “what Nayeon’s asking from you is a tall order.”

 

“I know, but… but she’s my wife. But Dahyun’s my friend and I…” Sana sighs, not knowing how to finish her statement. “I’m gonna have to think about this over the weekend.”

 

“Well, good luck with that, buddy,” Momo mutters, patting Sana on the back.

 

“And, hey, don’t tell Dahyun about this, okay? No one should mention this to her until I make a decision.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

Mina and Momo get a hotel in Yangcheon for the weekend. They agree not to use their phones for the entire duration of their stay so that they can enjoy each other together. Mina found the place on the internet and it’s one of the most recommended hotels, and so they book a room and excitedly go to their floor after checking in.

 

Momo immediately jumps to the bed and screams, “We’re here! We’re here!” She gets up on her knees and turns to Mina. “This is so great. No one’s gonna bother us and we’re gonna do it.” Then she screams again, “I’m gonna do it with Mina!”

 

“Momo!” Mina quips. “Momo, stop yelling that you and I are gonna do it!” She jumps excitedly along with Momo then kisses her before saying, “I’ll be right back. Just gonna go to the bathroom.”

 

So Momo starts making herself comfortable, turning on the television while waiting. She gets to a channel which has Masterchef US showing, and while she doesn’t exactly understand what they’re saying, seeing the contestants prepare all those different dishes is enough to keep her attention focused on the screen.

 

Mina comes out of the bathroom holding a glass, looking disappointed. “We’re switching rooms,” she tells Momo, who looks up at her and sees the glass in her hand.

 

“Oh dear God, they gave us glasses,” she mutters, feigning shock.

 

“They gave us glasses with lipstick on them,” Mina clarifies, showing the red stain. “I mean, if they didn’t change the glasses, who knows what else they didn’t change?”

 

“You wanna switch rooms because they didn’t change the glasses?”

 

“Well, I didn’t wanna say anything, but the carpet smells, too. Come on, I just want this weekend to be perfect. We can change rooms, can’t we?” Mina asks Momo in a cute voice, something Momo only got to see ever since they started… this thing they’re doing. And who is Momo to resist that much Mina aegyo, anyway?

 

The hotel receptionist accompanies them to their new room and when they enter Momo immediately opens the TV while Mina immediately checks the rest of the room.

 

“I think you’ll find this room more to your liking,” he tells them.

 

Momo searches for the channel with Masterchef on it, and when the receptionist sees this he sits beside her and watches with her.

 

“Gordon Ramsay’s gonna spit that one out,” he predicts, pointing to one of the contestants.

 

“Yeah but if that were me I’m still gonna eat it myself,” Momo comments.

 

“We’re switching rooms again,” says Mina.

 

“What? Why?” Momo asks without looking up at her.

 

“This is a garden view room and we paid for an ocean view room.”

 

“Our last ocean view room was unacceptable to you,” the receptionist retorts, without looking up at Mina as well.

 

“The carpet smelled,” Mina reminds him. “Excuse me, Momo? Can I talk to you over here for just a second?”

 

“Uh-huh,” Momo replies, standing up slowly, eyes still glued to the screen.

 

“Momo!”

 

With this tone coming from Mina Momo finally turns her head to the other girl. “Yeah?”

 

“Look,” Mina whispers, “these clowns are trying to take us for a ride and I’m not gonna let them! And we’re not a couple of ers.”

 

“Mina, all these rooms are fine, okay? Can you please just pick one so I can watch Masterche—I mean have a perfect, magical weekend together with you?”

 

Mina decides to let it slide and just go through a few more rooms before they finally settle on one.

 

“Okay, this one I like,” she tells Momo, who’s opened the TV again.

 

“No, nothing, it’s over,” Momo says, still looking at the screen. “They already eliminated those two guys. Dammit!”

 

“Momo, can we turn the TV off? I mean, do we really wanna spend the entire weekend like this?”

 

“Oh I’m sorry, am I getting in the way of all the room-switching fun?”

 

“Hey, don’t blame me for ruining tonight.”

 

“So who do I blame, the poor bellman who had to drag our luggage to ten different rooms?”

 

“We’re supposed to be spending a romantic weekend together. What is the matter with you?”

 

“I just wanted to watch a little television. What is the big deal? Geez, relax, mom.”

 

“What did you just say?”

 

“I said… I said—”

 

“You know what, never mind. You wanna enjoy television? Fine. I’m going.”

 

And so Momo and Mina come home without fulfilling their weekend plans. When Momo arrives at her apartment she sees Jeongyeon watching TV and sees her watching—what else but Masterchef.

 

“Hey, you’re back,” Jeongyeon greets her when she hears the door close and then turns the TV off. “How was your conference?”

 

“It was terrible, I fought with… my colleagues the entire time.”

 

“So your weekend was a total bust?”

 

“Well, no, I got to see Sunmi waiting for an elevator.”

 

“Did you take a picture with her?”

 

Before Momo could answer, the door opens again, and Mina comes inside.

 

“Hi,” she greets them, but only looking at Jeongyeon.

 

“Hey, you’re back too,” says the short-haired blonde.

 

“Yeah. Um, Momo, can I talk to you outside for just a second?”

 

“Hey, how was your chef thing?” Jeongyeon asks, ignoring the fact that Momo was about to respond to Mina.

 

“Ugh, it was awful. Guess some people just don’t appreciate really good food.”

 

“Well,” Momo starts, “maybe it’s the kind of food that tasted good at first, but then made everybody vomit and have diarrhea.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

On Monday Sana asks for Jeongyeon to come with her to the tea/coffee place that they frequent called I’m Like TeaTea which they sometimes call the TT. She’s supposed to meet with Nayeon in a few minutes to talk about the latter’s hanging request, but Sana needs someone for the moral support to survive what’s coming. So Jeongyeon, having no audition or gig lined up for the day, agrees and tries to calm her nerves.

 

“Okay, Sana, you can do this,” Jeongyeon says as she rubs the girl’s shoulders rather violently.

 

“Dude, I’m going to talk to my wife, not fighting in a boxing match.”

 

“Isn’t that the same thing?” Jeongyeon jokes, earning a glare from Sana. “Okay, bad joke, I’m sorry. Just… Just try your best to be calm, alright? I mean, Nayeon is already your wife. What could possibly go wrong?”

 

“Clearly, you’ve never known the concept of divorce,” Sana deadpans. Suddenly her expression changes when she sees a certain someone enter the shop. “Okay, she’s here. Shoo!”

 

Jeongyeon rolls her eyes at Sana. “Yeah, good luck to you, jackass,” she mumbles, sitting two tables away.

 

“Hey, Nayeon,” Sana greets her wife and tries to meet her with warm eyes, but the other refuses to look at her, so she coughs and gestures to the table instead. “Take a seat.” She offers her a chair.

 

“Let’s make this quick,” Nayeon says. “I have somewhere to be.”

 

“Okay, but Nayeon, I just… I just wanna talk about what you said. About me making a choice.”

 

Nayeon looks at Sana, her expression still cold. “And?”

 

“Nayeon…” Sana takes both of Nayeon’s hands in hers, happy yet surprised that Nayeon doesn’t jerk it away. “I love you. I really do. And I would like for you to stay as my wife. We’ve only known each other for 3 months but that didn’t stop me from marrying you. I’m usually not that kind of person but with you I feel so different. You make me better.” She squeezes Nayeon’s hands a little, offering her a smile. Nayeon’s expression softens ever-so-slightly—but that’s good enough for Sana to continue.

 

“But Dahyun is one of my best friends—”

 

Nayeon scoffs at this. “Oh here we go.”

 

“No, please, listen. Dahyun and I… We were friends even before we dated, and we agreed to remain friends after we broke up. But that’s it, okay? And that was like a year before I met you. We’ve been strictly platonic ever since.”

 

“But you said her name at our wedding, Sana. How do you expect me to let that go?”

 

“I know. I know I messed up bigtime. And I’m trying to make things right and I’ll even spend the rest of my life trying to make things right by you if you’ll accept me… But avoiding Dahyun isn’t the way to do that. My friends are as important to me as you are and if you just can’t trust me to do that, then... then this marriage wouldn’t work.”

 

“So what are you saying?”

 

“I’m saying… you should trust me. Nayeon. Do you trust me?”

 

Sana looks into Nayeon’s eyes, trying to look for the answer her heart desires. This is the moment she’d been dreading. She’s thought about this conversation a lot, rehearsed it so many times the previous night, and now, Nayeon’s finally going to give her an answer. The answer that will change Sana’s life one way or the other.

 

And the answer is…

 

“No.”

 

Sana’s head slumps in defeat. She should’ve seen this coming—it’s her fault, anyway. Neither of them lets go of the other’s hand, though. Sana’s there trying to hold back her tears and when she feels she’s held back enough of them she finally looks up.

 

“Then goodbye, Nayeon,” she utters, almost inaudibly.

 

And finally, Nayeon smiles—a soft one—at Sana. “Goodbye, Sana. And I do hope you get her someday.”

 

“Nayeon, she’s not—”

 

“You may not know it yet, but it’s still inside you. You love Dahyun. When you finally admit that to yourself, I hope you go for her.”

 

Nayeon’s last speech leaves Sana at a loss for words. When Nayeon goes out of the shop Jeongyeon, along with Mina and Momo who came in long enough to understand what had just transpired, immediately goes to Sana to comfort her.

 

“Honey, I’m so sorry,” Mina says, hugging her sister tightly.

 

“Look, I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t tell Dahyun this, okay? She can’t know that she was sort of involved in this.”

 

“Yeah, sure.” It’s Mina who responds, being Dahyun’s roommate and best friend. “Why don’t we go to the apartment and I’ll make some hot chocolate for you?”

 

“That would be nice.”

 

“Uh, Mina?” Momo barely mutters, but it’s enough for Mina to hear. Mina tells Jeongyeon and Sana to go ahead and that she and Momo will catch up in a few minutes.

 

“So that weekend kinda , huh?” Momo starts.

 

“Yeah, it did.” Mina nods.

 

“So… I guess this is over.”

 

Mina narrows her eyes. “What?”

 

“Well, you and me,” Momo explains. “It had to end sometime.”

 

“Uhh, why, exactly?”

 

“Because of the weekend,” Momo explains. “We had a fight.”

 

“Momo, that’s crazy. If you’d give up every time you have a fight with someone, you’d never be with anyone longer than…”

 

“Oh…” both girls say.

 

“So…” Momo says, smiling from ear to ear now, “this isn’t over?”

 

Mina chuckles, saying, “You are so cute!” and pinching Momo’s cheeks. “It was a fight; you deal with it and then you move on. It’s nothing to freak out about.”

 

“Really? That’s great!”

 

“Welcome to an adult relationship!”

 

Momo giggles at the thought, then groans when she sees that they’re in a public place. “Damn, I really wanna kiss you now.”

 

Mina smiles and playfully punches the other girl’s—or should she say her girlfriend’s?—shoulder. “Me too, but later. Now come on, I still have to make that hot chocolate for Sana.”

 

In the apartment, Mina, Momo, and Jeongyeon try to comfort Sana as best as they can. Dahyun comes in after a wedding gig and walks to her room, blissfully overlooking the Sana-comforting scene in the living room.

 

“Hey Mina, who did you say you see at your hotel last weekend again?” Dahyun asks.

 

“Oh, it’s Sunmi,” Mina proudly answers. “Yeah, saw her waiting for an elevator.”

 

It takes a few seconds to sink in, but Jeongyeon sharply widens her eyes. opens in a silent gasp and starts pointing back and forth between Mina and Momo while making indistinct noises. Fortunately Sana’s too busy staring at her cup of hot choco while Dahyun’s still in her room fixing her camera and the pictures.

 

“Jeongyeon, can I talk to you for a moment?” Momo asks, not really waiting for an answer, dragging the girl to Mina’s room. Mina follows the two and locks the door.

 

Dahyun’s about to ask Sana what the deal with Jeongyeon is but she sees the girl looking down on her cup—and just looking at it, for crying out loud, wasting good chocolate. And Dahyun knows that Sana only does that when she’s got major problems.

 

“Sana unnie? What’s up?”

 

“Oh, nothing, it’s just… Nayeon and I are getting a divorce.”

 

“What?”

 

“We were at the TT earlier and we talked. It did not end well.”

 

“Sana, I’m so sorry to hear that.” And she really is. She’s finally moving on from the girl and now she just wants happiness for her friend, but seeing her like this makes her heart hurt. Sana doesn’t deserve this.

 

“Thanks,” is all Sana mutters.

 

“Look, whatever you need, I’m right here, okay?” Dahyun assures her. “We’ll help you get through this.”

 

And somehow, because of Dahyun’s words, Sana manages a smile. “I know. Thank you, Dahyun-ah.”

 

Meanwhile in Mina’s bedroom Momo and Mina are still trying to control Jeongyeon.

 

“Yes,” Momo admits when she lets go of her roommate’s hand. “Yes.”

 

“You? And-and you?”

 

“Yes,” Mina repeats, “but you can’t tell anyone. No one knows!”

 

“How? When?” Jeongyeon asks, very much confused.

 

“It happened in London,” Momo responds.

 

“IN LONDON?”

 

“Sshh!”

 

“The reason we didn’t wanna tell anyone is because we didn’t wanna make a big deal out of it,” Momo explains.

 

“But it is a big deal!” Jeongyeon insists. “I have to tell someone.”

 

“No, you can’t!” says Mina. “Look, I know this is hard.”

 

“It is! It hurts.”

 

“Please, we just don’t wanna deal with telling everyone, okay? Just promise you won’t tell.”

 

Jeongyeon looks back and forth between Momo and Mina again, a pained expression painted on her face. But eventually she gives in, for her friends, saying, “Alright.”

 

“Thank you, Jeongyeon unnie,” says Momo in her aegyo.

 

“Man, I can’t believe this,” Jeongyeon continues. “It’s unbelievable! I mean, it’s great…”

 

Mina and Momo look at each other, agreeing with Jeongyeon that, indeed, what they have is great. And almost instinctively the two girls come closer to each other, Mina wrapping her arm around Momo’s shoulders, Momo holding Mina’s waist, and they lean into each other and start kissing.

 

“Aw, come on,” Jeongyeon speaks, “I don’t wanna see that.”