Aftermath

I'll Be There For You

Mina, Momo, and Jeongyeon are eating breakfast at Mina and Dahyun’s apartment. It had been the tradition of the five of them—Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Mina, and Dahyun—ever since Mina’s first roommate moved out and she’d invited Dahyun to be her new roommate. They do this, eating breakfast, partly because they love Mina’s cooking which gets better and better every time, but for Momo and Jeongyeon it’s mostly because they don’t know much about cooking.

 

With their first day back from London Mina cooks for five—even though she know Dahyun isn’t back yet and Sana hasn’t told them she’s coming—because she knows how much these two roommates could eat.

 

“Damn, Mina,” Jeongyeon mutters as she munches on the omurice Mina prepared. “The egg is amazing.”

 

“Yeah, Mitang,” says Momo, turning to Mina, “I love tasting your eggs.”

 

Mina nearly chokes at Momo’s statement, but luckily Jeongyeon’s too busy with her food to notice Momo smirking at Mina and Mina glaring playfully at Momo. Since Dahyun hasn’t gone back yet and Jeongyeon went home with yet another girl last night, the other two had Mina’s apartment all for themselves without having to worry about anyone barging in. It was a great night.

 

Momo watches as Mina’s eyes glaze over, lost in thought about the new things they tried last night, and Momo chuckles. She herself almost gets lost staring at Mina, but then the door opens and Sana comes in.

 

“Hey,” Sana says.

 

“Hey Sana,” Mina greets back.

 

“So, uh… Is Dahyun back yet?” Sana nervously asks them. Ever since she left Dahyun on the plane to Greece to run after Nayeon who saw them she had been feeling twice as guilty, and she’s apologized to Dahyun over the phone. Nayeon, too, but Sana’s been doing that since after the wedding.

 

“No, her flight got delayed in Athens,” Mina answers. “But actually she should be back by now.”

 

“Oh good, you talked to her? Is she mad?”

 

“No but she likes me,” Mina teases. “You abandoned her on a plane to Greece.”

 

“I did not abandon Dahyun, okay?” Sana tries to defend herself in front of the three. “Nayeon showed up at the airport! I did what I had to do, she’s my wife. Dahyun is my wife. I mean Nayeon!” Sana groans. “Man, what is it with those names?”

 

“Don’t worry, Sana,” Momo says, “I had trouble differentiating the ‘d’ and ‘n’ consonants when I first got here.”

 

Jeongyeon turns to Momo. “You still have trouble with that,” she deadpans.

 

“Oh shut up and eat your eggs,” Momo quips.

 

The door opens again and this time it’s Dahyun, fresh from Greece. “Hi, guys!” she cheerfully greets the gang.

 

“Dahyunnie!” Momo immediately stands up from her seat and runs up to Dahyun to hug her. The rest of the girls follow her to Dahyun.

 

“Dahyun, hey…” Sana starts, her tone apologetic. “I am so, so sorry, I really am.”

 

“Oh, Sana, come on,” Dahyun replies, patting Sana’s shoulders. “You just did what you had to do.”

 

“That’s it?” a surprised Sana asks. She knows how furious Dahyun can get—and that can get pretty chaotic—so she’s shocked at the calm Dubu’s reaction. “You’re not mad? I mean, it must’ve been terrible.”

 

“Terrible?” says Dahyun. “Hell, I was in Greece! There was a nice hotel, nice beach, I met nice people… It’s not too shabby for Dahyun.”

 

Sana turns to the other three in her confusion, but they just shrug at her. Turning back to Dahyun who’s opened her room, she asks, “So, what? That’s it?”

 

Dahyun comes back out of her room and responds. “Yeah, we’re cool. Totally cool.”

 

“Thanks, Dahyunnie,” she says, hugging the younger girl tightly. “You’re the best.”

 

“Nah…”

 

Sana lets Dahyun go and runs back to the door. “I gotta go to the flower store. Check it out; no one’s telling me where Nayeon is, so I’m gonna send 72 long-stemmed, red roses to her parents’ house—one for every day that I’ve known and loved her. That oughtta get her talking to me again.”

 

“And when you do make out the card make sure you make it out to Nayeon,” Momo tells her, emphasizing the last word. Mina supports her by chuckling at the joke.

 

“You want a piece of me, Hirai?”

 

“Okay, that was rude and I’m sorry,” Momo mumbles. Besides, it’s the other sister that she does want a piece of.

 

As Sana walks out the room, closing the door behind her, Mina approaches Dahyun who’s still looking out the door.

 

“Dahyun, it’s great that you had such a good time in Greece,” she says.

 

Almost immediately Dahyun’s demeanor changes and she turns sharply towards Mina. “What?”

 

“Well, you just told Sana—”

 

“Well, I lied, okay? It was the worst!” Dahyun spits out. “Sana abandoned me! I couldn’t get a plane out so I had to stay in their honeymoon suite, with people coming up to me going, ‘Oh, Mrs. Minatozaki, why you cry?’ It was soooo humiliating! I felt like such an idiot! And it’s all my fault, and you know why? Because I make very bad decisions.”

 

“Oh, that’s not true,” Momo tells her in a calming voice.

 

“Yes, it is!” Dahyun insists. “I went after Sana in stupid London. I put on a cheerleading outfit to seduce Kyulkyung, then I lost her because I asked her to marry me after four dates. And then, I went on somebody else’s honeymoon. I mean, do those sound like very good decisions to you?”

 

“Dahyun-ah, I like your little braid,” Jeongyeon suddenly says, pointing to her head.

 

Dahyun takes a deep sigh. “I shouldn’t be allowed to make decisions anymore,” she continues. “I never should have gone to London.” She turns to Mina. “Mina unnie, from now on, you make all of my decisions for me. You are now in charge of my love life.”

 

“Okay,” says Momo, “I gotta go to work.” She walks to Mina and casually kisses her, to which Mina reciprocates. When the two break away that’s only when they realize that Dahyun and Jeongyeon are also in the room. Momo glances at Mina for help but the girl’s standing like a statue from the shock. So Momo goes with her first instinct and walks up to Dahyun.

 

“And uh, Dahyun, great to have you back!” Momo says before connecting her lips with Dahyun’s—the younger girl, like Mina, becomes frozen.

 

“And Jeong!” Momo spreads her hands out and approaches Jeongyeon, kissing her as well.

 

“Always a pleasure,” Momo finishes, walking triumphantly out the door.

 

Dahyun looks to the other two girls, feeling very much confused.

 

“What the hell was that about?” she asks them.

 

“I don’t know,” Mina answers, a little too eagerly. “Must be a European goodbye thing she picked up from London.”

 

“What? That’s not European,” Dahyun insists.

 

Jeongyeon her lips and shrugs. “Seemed French to me.”

 

-------------------------------------

 

Because Dahyun put her in charge of her love life, Mina sets up her best friend on a blind date with a girl from work named Pinky. Everything was going well, and Pinky even accompanies Dahyun back to the apartment, but then Dahyun asks Pinky, “Do you wanna come inside?”

 

“Yeah, absolutely,” Pinky responds.

 

But Dahyun suddenly remembers that someone else is in charge of making her love life decisions for her. “Oh wait, you know what? I can’t decide this. Just-just hold on a second.” She opens the door behind her to look for Mina. Instead she finds Sana slumped on the couch.

 

“Oh. Hi,” says Dahyun.

 

“Hi,” Sana replies, but it’s more of a sigh.

 

“Is Mina around?” Dahyun asks. “I have to ask her something.”

 

“Doing her laundry.”

 

“Oh, okay. Uh, what do you got there?” She approaches Sana and gestures to the box that the other girl is holding.

 

“It came in the mail today. It’s, uh, 72 long-stemmed red roses, one for each day that I’ve known and loved Nayeon… cut up into mulch.”

 

“That’s awful!”

 

“Oh it’s not so bad... I mean, Mina’s gonna make potpourri.” Sana lets out a sigh. “I think I’m gonna… gonna go wander out in the rain for a while.”

 

“But it’s not raining,” Dahyun tells Sana, who stomps her feet at this information.

 

“Dammit, I can’t catch a break!”

 

“Okay, unnie, unnie, calm down. Listen, why don’t I go make you some tea and we can talk about this? Sounds good?”

 

“Yeah. Okay.”

 

Dahyun goes outside for a while and hastily says goodbye to Pinky. “Hey, I’m gonna have to take a rain check; my roommate’s feeling sick today so I, uh, gotta take care of her. Bye!”

 

Without waiting for an answer Dahyun comes back inside and sits beside Sana, who’s sulking at the couch again.

 

“Look, Sana,” Dahyun starts, putting an arm around Sana, “I know things seem so bad right now but, it’s gonna get better…”

 

“Dahyun?” she hears someone say, but it isn’t Sana. She turns to the side and sees the door open, with Mina holding her basket full of laundry. “Dahyun, can I talk to you outside for a minute? I dropped some socks.”

 

Dahyun knows the girl’s lying. First of all, Mina never drops anything; and second, when Mina’s given a job such as look after a certain Dubu’s love life decisions, she’s determined to follow it through. However, Dahyun can’t make up an excuse to turn her down, not with Sana around. So Dahyun agrees to “help” her outside the room, closing the door when she and Mina are both out.

 

“Dahyun,” says Mina, her tone low. “What are you doing? Do you want to fall into the trap? I just ran into Pinky and she told me you blew her off!”

 

“I just—”

 

“No, you listen to me. I’m calling the shots. I say you leave Sana alone and go get Pinky. I mean, what the hell are you trying to do, anyway?”

 

“Well, ultimately, I was trying to… you know…” Dahyun fidgets. “I-I wanted… to tell Sana that I’m still in love with her.”

 

“What? You can’t tell her that!”

 

“Why? Why not? People love to hear that! Come on, I love you.” The younger girl does her best to smile at Mina that her eyes look like they’re closed. “Now wasn’t that nice?”

 

“No!” Mina shakes her head. “I make the decisions, and I say no.”

 

“Well you know what? You don’t make the decisions anymore because I say you’re fired.”

 

“You can’t fire me. I make your decisions for you and I say I’m not fired. Ha!”

 

“Yeah… Well… If you don’t fire yourself then I’m gonna throw all that laundry here on the floor!”

 

Mina gasps and covers with her free hand. “Okay, look. If you’re really gonna go and tell Sana you love her, fine, go tell her. But before you do, just try to find one person who thinks this a good idea, because I bet you you can’t.”

 

“But I—”

 

“Please?”

 

“Alright, fine.”

 

And so, the next day, after she and Chaeyoung meet with a client, she shares her idea to her partner who blatantly disagrees with her.

 

“You never even should have gone to London,” Chaeyoung adds. This just earns a groan from Dahyun.

 

Even Tzuyu, their boss-slash-manager, hears about this from Chaeyoung and tells her that she shouldn’t do it. Hell, Dahyun even stops by her parents’ house to visit Ari, her dog, and talks to him about her situation while she bathes him in his furry goodness. But all response she got from him was full of semi-violent barking which Dahyun knows he only does when he’s mad.

 

Welp, so much for that.

 

Meanwhile, after a whole day of fantasizing about Mina at work, Momo heads straight to the girl’s apartment (which wasn’t exactly a difficult task since they live right across each other, anyway). Mina, who’s equally excited to see her, runs up to her the second she comes in. She pushes Momo until the older girl’s back is against the wall and starts kissing her, holding Momo’s pants so tightly that she’s almost pushing them down.

 

Momo giggles into the kiss and pulls Mina’s face away, cupping her cheeks with her hands. She stares at Mina and even though the girl’s mouth is curved into a pout (because Momo’s delaying the kiss), Momo still finds her extremely irresistible.

 

“A bit eager, are we?” she teases Mina, then turns both herself and Mina around so that it’s Mina’s back against the wall now. When Mina wraps her arms around her shoulders Momo starts kissing her neck.

 

“Bad day at work today,” Mina replies to the best she can even though the sensations that Momo’s making her feel are driving her wild. “There was a customer who—urnnngh…” Momo squeezes Mina’s bottom and the younger girl is now unable to finish her sentence. When Momo hears this moan she’s decided to take this one step further; unfortunately they hear Dahyun right outside.

 

“Hey Mina, are you there?” Dahyun yells, banging on the door. “Is your door locked?”

 

Momo slowly pulls away from Mina, sighing as she does so, but still keeping her hands beside Mina’s head and against the door. Mina looks at her and catches her frown, so she gives her a light but sweet kiss before she calls out, “In a minute, Dahyun.” She fixes her hair and her clothes and Momo does the same until they clear any traces of their make-out session.

 

It’s Momo who opens the door and Dahyun immediately walks in.

 

“The day I forget my keys and the door gets locked,” says Dahyun, going for the fridge to check if she has some choco pies there.

 

“Dahyun,” Mina starts, “you always forget your keys.”

 

“What?” Dahyun gasps, feigning hurt. “I do not!”

 

“You’re the reason I never lock that door in the first place!” Mina retorts. Momo rubs her back to calm her down.

 

Dahyun notices the tension in Mina as well. “Okay, fine, I’m sorry. You need to get laid.”

 

Both Momo and Mina stiffen at that statement. Mina regains her composure first, coughing as she does so. “Anyway,” she starts, “did you find someone who agreed with you like we talked about yesterday?”

 

“No,” Dahyun grunts as she takes in a mouthful of her sweet choco pie.

 

“Told you,” Mina gloats.

 

“Yeah, yeah, you were right and I was stupid,” Dahyun finally admits. Mina smirks in her triumph. “And hey, Pinky called me again and asked me out on another date.”

 

“Oh, really? That’s good.”

 

“And as a thank you, you know, for helping me not make bad decisions, I asked Pinky if we could double date so, free your schedule tomorrow night because you, my friend, have a date!”

 

“W-What?” Mina’s shocked. She glances at Momo who simply rolls her eyes and starts walking out.

 

“I, uh… I have to go check in on the chick and the duck,” says Momo. When she approaches Dahyun the younger girl instinctively backs away.

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa there, kissy-face,” Dahyun rebukes. “I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this European goodbye thing you’ve been doing. It’s making me all uncomfortable.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Momo frowns. “I used to kiss all of you guys back in college.”

 

“Yeah, on the cheeks,” Dahyun retorts.

 

“Fine. I’m sorry; I was just trying to bring a little culture into the group.”

 

“Sure, just don’t bring it in my mouth,” Dahyun chides.

 

“Makes me want to puke,” Mina adds to make herself look inconspicuous, but this just earns a glare from Momo. She eyes the girl apologetically before Momo leaves for her own apartment. Right as Momo leaves, Jeongyeon enters.

 

“So, Mina,” Dahyun speaks again, “tomorrow night, 7PM. Don’t be late, alright?”

 

“Um, I’ll think about it,” a distracted Mina replies, looking out the door. “Hey Jeongyeon, did you and Momo return the pan that you borrowed yesterday?”

 

“Uh, no, not yet but—”

 

“I’ll get it!” Mina immediately squeals and bolts out of the room. When she opens the door to the JeongMo apartment (that’s what they call themselves and yes, Jeongyeon and Momo came up with that name), Mina sees Momo sitting on one of the Lazy Boys, staring at the chick and the duck. The older girl’s too engrossed at the birds that she doesn’t notice Mina come in.

 

“Hey,” Mina finally says.

 

Momo looks up at her and stands up to walk to her. “Oh, hi.” Mina gulps, thinking that Momo’s gonna pin her to the wall again, but Momo stops about 5 inches from her.

 

“So, umm…” Mina starts, “About earlier, what I said about the kissing, it was…”

 

Momo shakes her head, not letting Mina finish her sentence. “No, it’s okay. I understand; you don’t need to explain.”

 

Mina offers a smile at Momo. “And about that date Dahyun set up…”

 

“Oh, don’t, uh…” Momo shifts uncomfortably as she stands. “Don’t worry about that. I am so, so fine with it. I mean, you and I, we’re just… we’re nothing. We’re just goofing around.”

 

Momo thought that that was the right answer for Mina. But boy, was she dead wrong.

 

“Goofing around?” Mina repeats, her expression reminding Momo of the time Mina played then lost an online game—Elsword, was it?

 

“Actually I was about to tell you that I’m getting out of it, but hey, if we’re just goofing around then maybe I will go out with her.”

 

“Fine! Maybe I will, too.”

 

“What?”

 

“I don’t know!”

 

Mina scoffs and rolls her eyes. She turns around to go back to her apartment but Momo grabs her hand and stops her.

 

“Look,” Momo starts, “okay, I’m sorry. I don’t… I don’t think we’re just ‘goofing around.’ If I’m being honest, I really, really, really, really like being with you. And I hope you like being with me, too. And I hope you won’t think I’m possessive or anything, but I don’t like the idea of you going out on dates with anyone.”

 

It takes a while, but Momo watches as Mina’s frown curves upward, and opening wide to show that familiar, heart-warming gummy smile.

 

“Well look at that,” says Mina. “You’re getting good at this relationship thing, Hirai.”

 

“I learn from the best,” replies Momo, smiling sheepishly. The two are about to lean into each other for a kiss but suddenly Jeongyeon barges in.

 

“H-Hey Jeongyeon,” Momo mutters nervously, “what are you doing here?”

 

“What? This is my apartment. The real question here is, what’s Mina still doing here? She usually couldn’t stand being here.”

 

“Well…”

 

Another person barges into the living room, but this time it’s Sana. Both Mina and Momo silently thank her for saving the bell.

 

“Oh, hey unnie!” Mina greets her. “Look, everybody’s here!”

 

“Well, everybody except Dahyun,” Jeongyeon comments.

 

“Oh good, Dahyun isn’t here,” Sana says. There’s a defeated expression on her face.

 

“Why? What’s with Dahyun?” Mina asks, now serious as well.

 

“Well, Nayeon and I finally talked,” Sana replies, pacing about in the room.

 

“And?”

 

“And she wants me to cut off all ties with Dahyun.”