Family Matters

The Loser Club

  The morning was clear and bright, a blue sky without a cloud in sight. The boys were dressed casually, Jae and Brian carrying their guitars on their backs, Wonpil, Dowoon, and Sungjin holding some sheet music and folding chairs as they walked towards a nearby park. Something in the air felt so refreshing and happy, the best thing about it was seeing a smile on Wonpil and Dowoon's faces. They had grown so much in a short time. They took time to set up their little area, setting up the chairs and laying out the guitars cases as the collection bins. Being out in the fresh air felt nice, it was calm and relaxing. The boys all looked at eachother and smiled, Brian deciding to start if off with a classic Beatles collection, almost instantly drawing attention from people who passed by.

  Brian, Jae, and sungjin took turns on the guitars singing solos, Dowoon ocassionally using one of the guitars to immiate a drum when needed. Wonpil stayed quiet, too scared to sing alone. After a while they all began to sing "Just the way you are" Together, everyone else slowly lowering their volume so that Wonpil was singing alone. The amount of passion that he had in his voice made up for the broken words, and the small crowd that had gathered clapped and cheered for him. Wonpil blushed madly and bowed his head before turning back to look at everyone. He was mad at them for leaving him alone like that, but they had also pushed him to do something new. He couldnt stay mad at them. 

"Thank you, guys," He whispered, going up to Sungjin and hugging him. They all gathered around and rubbed his back, trying to support him. "we told you you could do it, Pili." Jae smiled at him.

  After a few more hours and running out of songs they decided to call it a dya, gathering the change they had collected. Dowoon counted it up and sighed softly. "We'd be lucky to get a drum from a second hand store at this point. We only got fourty dollars total. " They all seemed disheartened, but Sungjin had to stay strong for them. "Hey, maybe we can go look, okay? We can see what we can find." With a little bit of encouragement they headed back into town, looking around for some music shops that might have some used instruments. 

  All they found was way too out of budget, and they left feelin defeated. Wonpil looked up at the others and saw the dissapointment in their eyes. He had never had friends that tried to make him feel so loved before, so he wanted to do everything for them. Sungjin needed his own guitar, and Dowoon needed a drum set. Not even just for the tallent show, but to make them happy in general. Music meant so much to all of them. They headed home and tried to come up with some new ideas, going to the group chat after a while. 

Brian: "I got nothing."

Jae: "Me either."

Brian: "What are we gonna do? Just use the teo guitars and sing?" 

Dowoon: "it seemed to work fine today. We all had fun right?" 

Sungjin: "I agree. It seemd the most real to me!"

Wonpil: "Whatever you guys want to do." 

Jae: "Sungjin hyung plays better than me, so I should give him my guitar."

Wonpil: "Maybe you guys can switch out?" 

Dowoon: "How about two songs? "

Brian: "Maybe." 

Sungjin: "I say we go with Just the way you are and maybe Stop and stare? 

Brian: "We'd need the drum and a piano for Stop and stare though." 

Wonpil: "Maybe the school will let me use one?"

Jae: "We have time to figure it out, guys." 

With that they chat went silent, everyone trying to wrap their brains around the instrument issue. 

-------

  Wonpil acted fast, runnig home at top speed. He walked into his bedroom, going through his closet and sighing as he searched high and low for his lock box. He had gained a large sum of inheritance from his grandmother when she passed away, and he kept it private from his parents. He was saving it for a time when he needed it most, like saving for college or maybe some crissis. This was the most important thing to him. His friends were his family, and it was up to him to make them as happy as they were maing him. He remembered the first day of school to now, such little time, but he felt like a different person. He owed everything to them. 

 With the money in hand he returned to a shop they were all in earlier, picking out a guitar he had seen Sungjin eyeing, and a drum set that Dowoon had tested out. His heart beat out of his chest as the manager began to ask him all sorts of questions. He tried to keep his anxiety down as he dealt with the formalities of it all, paying for everything in full, and arranging to have the drums delivered along with the guitar to Dowoon and Sungjin's house. He had never done anything like this, he had never taken such a huge risk, he had never felt like part of something. He never felt this welcomed in a family. 

 He left the store with a spring in his step, hurrying back home. He felt good, and his anxiety seemed to lower. He gtinned widely, knowing the instuments would be delivered the next morning. He returned home and climbed into bed, looking at his phone and smiling as he caught sight of himself. For the first time he saw a face smiling back, a face that he was happy to own. 

-------

Later that night Sungjin messaged the group chat, trying to get everyone together again in an attempt to lighten their spirits. 

Sungjin: "Guys, how about we have breakfast at my place tomorrow? Ms. Yoon has a business meeting."

Jae: "Cool cool."

Brian: "I am always down for food, Hyung." 

Wonpil: "Sure! what time?" 

Dowoon: " 10 should be fine." 

  The morning rolled around and sure enough it was time for breakfast. Wonpil was the last to arrive, smiling as he saw Sungjin trying to make some pancakes, Dowoon setting the table while Jae and Brian had some coffee. "Morning guys. How did evreyone sleep?" He asked, going and hugging evryone. He did a good job of keeping his surprise hidden. They made small talk as they ate, Jae getting a little bit excited and pulling out some new sheet music for other song suggestions. They chatted about the music before talking about school again, Dowoon groaning about some tests coming up after the tallent show. They made a study plan, Sungjin's idea, and agreed to meet a few times a week for school work. The weekend was almost over, and school was far more important than the tallent show. 

 Suddenly a loud noise came from outside, a delivery truck pulling up outside the house. Everyone was confused, peeking through the window. A delivery man came up to the door, knocking. Confused, Dowoon opened the door and signed for the delivery. Two large boxes were placed out in front of the house, and everyone got close, confused. Sungjin grabbed a knife and slowly began to open the one box. 

"That one is Dowoons! " Wonpil called out, realizing that he just blew his cover. 

Confused, Dowoon began to open the box, nearly fainting when he saw all the different parts of a drum set inside. He turned around and looked at everyone, all but Wonpil confused. 

"Um- I just..Managed to find a cheap one.." He lied. Dowoon ran to him and hugged him, Wonpil clinging ti the taller male. 

"Sungjin Hyung, open yours." He called out, pulling away from Dowoon slowly. 

Sungjin opened the box and saw the brand new guitar, almost tearing up as he looked back at them all. "Wonpil, how...how did you..?" 

Everyone was speechless, but Wonpil wasn't done yet. He grabbed his back pack and handed Brian and Jae new guitar strings, some cleaner for the wood, and notebooks silled with blank sheet music pages. Quickly everyone hugged Wonpil, thanking him hundreds of times. 

"You guys are my family...you-you all matter to me...so much." Wonpil cried out, tears running down his face. 

They spent the day tending to their new instuments, evryone doing anything they could for Wonpil, thinking of ways to repay him. He of course said not to worry about it, but they knew they couldn't let a deed like this go unnoticed. 

------

The weekend came to a close, and monday morning rolled around. Wonpil was seated in his usual spot, jotting down some notes about the upcoming test, Dowoon beside him reading some of the text book for homework. Their phones buzzed at the same time, the group chat going off. 

Sungjin: "Look outside." 

Confused, Wonpil peered out the window and immediately began to cry. Dowoon came to his side and rubbed his back, smiling wider. 

Down in the courtyard was a giant sign that read "Thank you Wonpil! You are the best friend we could ask for!" being held up by at least fourty different people. Suddenly, Jae, Brian, and Sungjin rushed into the classroom and hugged him tightly. "We love you, Pil. Thank you so much.." They all thanked him and smiled. The bell rang for class to start, and the three second year students ran to their classroom, Dowoon staying close by Wonpil's side, snapping a fe pictures of that beautiful smile on his face. Needless to say, that was an amazing day of classes. The family met up for lunch, and they even gave Wonpil a special meal, unable to thank him enough. Wonpil only did what he thought one should do for his family.