Silence and Laughter

The Loser Club

  Sungjin had walked with Dowoon to class in order to make sure he actually went today, giving him a reminder about lunch. Dowoon nodded and slipped into class, sitting beside a boy who had his head down on the desk. Dowoon remained silent, wondering if he should do something. He didn't know if htis kid was asllep, sick, crying, or maybe just ignoring everyone. He didn't say anything, and just doodled in his notebook untill class started. Wonpil raised his head and noticed that someone had sat next to him, only making his heart race. Someone was actually next to him. His anxiety began to rise, biting down on his lip. He tried to focus on his work, but kept looking over at the red eared boy beside him. He seemed tired, a little scared too. Maybe this would be a good chance to try and be brave. 

  "Um...h..hi.." Wonpil whispered, barely even audible. There was no response. Wonpil looked down in shame and fell silent, his stomach doubling up in cramps. It felt like he could throw up. 

   Dowoon had slid his headphones in, hoping that no one would notice, just so he didn't have to listen to anyone. he wrote down what was put on the board, answered a few of the homework problems, and took a small nap as the renainder of the class did some group work. Wonpil looked over to the sleeping boy and sighed, he was supposed to be his partner. He swallowed thickly and contemplated waking him up, but that meant that he had to look at him, speak to him, actually see him. Wonpil did the work, and wrote down two pages of it, one for the sleeping boy beside him. He tore the pages out of his notebook and slipped on onto the desk beside the others head. The teacher was far too occupied with two girls fighting about bands to notice. 

  The lunch bell rang, and Dowoon slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes and noticing the paper. He looked to the left and noticed an empty desk. Slowly he wrote down his name and handed in the paper, heading to the cafeteria. He didnt't want to sit with Sungjin, but he guessed it was his only choice. He walked down the hall to the cafeteria and noticed all the tables full of groups, sighing. He noticed Sungjin from behind, sitting alone. He had to go sit with him, it was his job to make him feel okay. Just as he was about to sit beside Sungjin he noticed the boy from class, the one who sat beside him. He must had left the assignment for him.

  He stayed back and watched as the boy sat at a table by himelf, slowly taking a few paces towards him. He took in a deep breath and sat down, noticing the other boy recoil and hide his face. "Um...h..hi.." Dowoon said, exactly the same way Wonpil had greeted him earlier. He had heard, but he was too scared to say anything. 

  Wonpil slowly, very slowly raised his head to get a quick glance at the other, biting down on his lip. He didn't dare make eyecontact. his heart was poundind, stomahc in knots, god he was going to be sick. Dowoon realized how uncomfortable the other was and looked away, taking out his phone and typing out a note.

 " Im Dowoon, Thanks for the assignment. Sorry I didnt say hi earlier. I was nervous. " He slid the phone across the small table towards the other, watching as he picked it up. Wonpil handed the phone back over with a small smile. 

  " I'm Wonpil. Nice to meet you. Sorry im really nerbous too. Just text me? " He added his phone number and quickly got up from the table, taking his things and runnig outside of the cafeteria and into the bathroom, locking himself in a stall. Someone spoke to him.

--------

  Jae stood up from his desk and looked at Brian beside him, smiling and speaking softly in English. "Hi, um, thanks so much for wanting to sit with me. I guess I made it kind of obvious that I was new, huh?" The younger laughed and nodded his head, packing up his things. "The dictionary was a pretty dead give away, I have to say. Don't worry though, I just landed yesterday, so I'm still not used to the place either. " They both laughed and felt much more at ease as they walked out of the room. Sungjin stopped them on their way out, apologizing for not being able to greet their new classmate propperly. 

"I'm Sungjin, sorry about not introducing myself earlier... You can come sit with me at lunch again Jae, and your friend can join us if youd like...:" His eyes darted from Jae to the new boy, smiling. 

  Brian took a moment to introduce himself and smiled. "Nice to meet you, Sungjin. I'm Youghyun. I actually just asked Jae to eat with me, so we'd love to sit with you."

  Jae understood that much, and followed the other two to the cafeteria, asking if Sungjin could find them a table while he and Brian got the food. The two started talking quickly, Jae coming out of his shell a bit more. They made small talk and sat back down with Sungjin, a few more people coming over and evryone havig a pretty good time. 

 Sungjin noticed Dowoon by himself a feww minuites into eating, but then another figure sat across from his brother. He smiled as he saw the two eating together, He figured hed let them enjoy their time, talking with everyone at his own table. They quickly started to go on about some movies and shows, Brian and Jae learning new thngs they'd never heard of before. 

----------

   Wonpil took in some deep breaths, trying to collect himslef. He felt his phone buzz and looked at it.

   "Hey, are you okay?"

  It was Dowoon.He wasn't okay, he dind't know what to do or what to say. slowly he typed out a reply. "I'm fine. Be back in a sec." 

He wasn't fine, but he had to be. He came out of the stall and took off his glasses, splashing some cool water in his face. "Calm down, Pil...You're okay.. It's fine. He wants to be your friend..." He had to talk himself down, as usual, before putting on his glasses and returning to the table. He didn't look at dowoon, but thaked him quietly before they started to eat. Dowoon stayed quiet, not wanting to scare the other off. This was the most interaction he had with anyone at school in years. 

They ate in silence, both too scared to do or say anything. The lunch bell rang and htey cleaned up, walking back to class side by side. Dowoon looked over at Wonpil, trying to see his face, but all he saw was the edge of his glasses and thick, curly black hair. Wonpil felt the other's eyes on him and panicked, walking paster and sitting back at the desk. Dowoon followed and sat beside him. "Sorry.." Dowoon said calmly, not needing to upset the other further. Wonpil managed a smile and nodded. 

  Class resumed and the two silently worked on their notes, leaving for the day without a second word. Wonpil headed for the bus, and Dowoon stayed behind to wait or Sungjin.

--------

  Jae had some sort of infectious laugh, getting everyone at the table to be loud and crazy. Brian had this incredible energy to him, getting up and doing impersionations, making jokes, and telling all sorts of stories about his life in Canada. Sungjin laughed at every joke, starting to really warm up to talking about other things than school for a change. He opened up and tried to tell some jokes, his loud voice projecting and bringing even more people to the table. Lunch was like a party, three loud, funny guys making evryone laugh. 

  When the bell rang the three got back to class, sitting closer together so they could talk and mess around a bit. By the end of the day they all exchanged numbers and made plans to sit together again the next day. Sungjin went off to meet Dowoon, Jae and Brian parting ways once they got to the subway station.