Group Chats and Mishaps

The Loser Club

  Sungjin talked about Jae and Brina for hours after getting home from school, and then began to ask Dowoon about his new mystery friend. Dowoon sighed and told him all he knew. "His name is Wonpil. He's shy." Was all he said before retreating to his room. Sungjin came back about an hour later and asked if they could all eat lunch together. Dowoon wasn't sure if he or Wonpil could handle that.

  Sure enough Sungjin got Jae and Brian onboard, and they set up a plan to bother the other two the next morning. Dowoon sent Wonpil a text, worrying that his new friend would be too scared. "Hey, um, my friend might sit with us tomorrow. And his other friends. Sorry."

"Oh. Okay. That's fine." Wonpil replied, trying to be brave to impress Dowoon. Deep down he knew he couldn't do it. Dowoon knew it too. 

  The morning went along as usual, the second year trio meeting up befre class, and Wonpil and Dowoon getting eachother via text. During one of the breaks Sungjin was trying to help out the professor while Jae and Brian talked in the back. The two watched Sungjin and grew to be more and more curious. They really knew nothing about eachother still. 

  The classes were dismissed for lunch, and Wonpil was glued to his desk. Dowoon almost didn't notice, about to leave the room. He came back an convinced Wonpil that they didn't have to stay the whole time, guiding him to the cafeteria. Jae, Brian, and Sungjin were already sitting at a smaller table than normal, not wanting other people to overwhelm their guests. Sungjin looked around for Dowoon, smiling when he saw him entering the room.  "Dowoon, over here." Sungjin called to him, waving. 

  The pair of first years walked over to the table, both bowing thier heads and saying hello. They sat down silently. Dowoon sat up and looked at the others, becoming a bit less shy as his brother encouraged him to talk. "Um, Sungjin Hyung told me about you guys, you seem really cool. " He murmured softly. SUngjin smiled and reached over to ruffled Dowoon's hair, making his ears turn red. Brian started to chat with them, but Jae kept his eyes on Wonpil. 

  "Hey, what's wrong with you?" Jae asked, wording his sentence a bit incorrectly. 

  Wonpil heard the words and they struck him like a knife. Tears filled his eyes and he wrapped his arms around himself. Dowoon looked over at the other guys and stayed silent. Wonpil started crying audibly, quickly getting up from the table and running off to the bathroom. Dowoon stood up and ran after him, Sungjin smacking his forehead with his hand. 

  "Ah ...i'll..I'll go see if he's okay." Sungjin murmured, hurrying after the pair. 

  Jae bit down on his lip and looked at Brian. "I said that wrong, didn't I?" He frowned deeply. Brian nodded slowly and told him it was an easy mistake.

  In the bathroom Wonpil locked himself in a stall, Dowoon standing outside with no words to say. He looked at Sungjin for help, biting his lip. Sungjin came to the stall and spoke calmly. "Hey, Jaehyung meant to ask if you were okay. He isn't from here... He din't mean to insult you." Wonpil sort of understood the mistake, but was still panicking. He felt like he couldn't breathe because of how hard he was crying, feeling even more nauseaous. "I'm- I'm fine...just go..." He said softly, trying to hold back his tears. dowoon didn't know what to do, so he walked back to the table. Sungjin refused to leave. 

  "Dowoon, is he okay? I didn't mean to make him cry.." Jae was worried, he was so afraid of messing up like that. Dowoon nodded slowly. "He'll be okay. Hyung is good at calming people down. I know it was an accident." 

  Fifteen minuites went by and Sungjin returned to the table with Wonpil beside him, people watching them as they walked past. Of course it had made a bit of a sceene, and soon voices started calling out the words "Baby", "Freak", and "Loser". Wonpil couldn't stop shaking. Brian glared at some of the students making rude remarks, Sungjin tried to comfort them, and Jae kept apologizing. By the end of lunch Sungjin opened up Kakaotalk, making sure they started a group chat. They all seemed a bit more comfortable talking online after what happened. 

  They all departed when lunch was over, everyone staying pretty quiet in class until they got on their phones. 

Wonpil: "Hey guys, sorry about earlier. I have really bad anxiety,"

Jae" "It was my fault. I'm really sorry."

Wonpil: "It's okay. I forgive you." 

Sungjin: "How about we all hang out after school? We already have a test coming up. We can study."

Dowoon: "Sounds fine. I'll text mom"

Brian: "I'm down, but don't get mad if I fall asleep. I'm still a few hours behind.

Sungjin: "We wont. Meet me in the library at 3."

  With their plans set they finished the rest of the day, all meeting up inside the library as directed. Almost no one was in there, so they had plenty of space to stretch out. Wonpil's neck was hurting from looking down so much, he had to let people see his face. He looked up and caught Dowoon looking at him, instantly runing away. Dowoon apologized instantly. They started small talk here and there before Sungjin spoke up. 

  "Guys, I think we need to get to know eachother better..." They all agreed. They were basically strangers. 

 Sungjin went first, talking about his parents back in Busan, moving in with Dowoon, and how it makes him feel like he isn't really close with his family anymore. "I don't talk to my parents. They only get mad if my scores are bad, or if I do something wrong. Dowoon is the only one I reallt can consider my family..."Dowoon looked over to him and frowned deeply. He had never even realized the tension that Sungjin must have gone through. "My parents divorced and my sister stayed with my dad in Busan, so we took in Sungjin hyun, but I feel like she favoirs him because I'm a bad student.."Wonpil looked at both of them, biting his lip. "M-my sister left for college...so Now its jsut my parents and I..and i feel like I'm their failed child because I'm not smart or tallented or anything..." Jae nodded slowly, Brian helping him with some words. "This s my first time living here, and I'm scared I'll make a mistake like what happened earlier... I'm so sory, Wonpil. I just want to make friends and enjoy myself." Brian was up last, speaking slower than normal. "I left because my parents smother me, and they want me to be the best student I can be. I left to get away from them, and being back I know thwy'll do the same thing again. I;ve always had a lot of friends, but none of them ever really cared about me." These talks continued for hours, going over birthdays, favorite things, more about theor home towns, fun little facts, everything. Wonpil's anxiety calmed down and he was looking up, Brian wasn't scared of these friends leaving him, Jae knew it was okay to make mistakes, Dowoon knew he had to talk more na dlisten more, and Sungjin felt like he had found a family.

  They eventually got around to studying, Brian lightening the mood with some jokes, Jae showing them some pictures and music, Wonpil even shaing some of his poems. They grew so close in a short amount of time, they all knew they were on the right track. The library was closing so the group of five headed out, all parting ways and heading home. Wonpil was the first to message the group chat once they had all parted

Wonpil: "Thank you all so much for wanting to be my friend."

Sungjin: "You dont need to thank us. "

Brian: "Thank you guys for being my real friends."

Jae: "Same here"

Dowoon: "Im glad to finally have friends"

Wonpil: "See you guys tomorrow?" 

Dowoon: "And the day after that."

Jae: "and the next day."

Brian: "And the next next day."

Sungjin: "Basically, you're all stuck with me." 

The five laughed and planned out some more days for lunch, studying, and even weekend plans. They had formed their own little club. It felt so nice to be a part of something.