Dictionary

The Loser Club

   The first few steps off of the plane weren't nearly as scary as this was. That was just an airport full of strangers, but this was to be where he went to school for the next few years. Jaehyung swallowed thickly and tried to act cool as he stepped into the crowded lobby full of first year students, nearly escaping the downpour that began outside. They were all a few years younger than him, shorter, but equally as frightened. Thankfully his height and slim frame made it easier for him to move about the crowd and find some people handing out paperworl. He didnt speak, but just took what he was handed. A small smile came from his round lips, small eyes almost vanishing behind his thick rimmed glasses. Finally, he coud figure out where he was going. Well, almost. 

  Jaehyung stared down at the papers in front of him, only making out two or three words on the entire sheet. He had grown up in Long beach, California, and this was the first time attending school in Korea. Sure, he knew the language, but his reading and writing skills weren't great. He understood people and could reply, but that was about it. He only got accepted into this school because his sister helped him send in the application. He stared at the paper for a few minuites, squinting, as if that would change anything. He shuffled around in his backpack before pulling out a small dictionary, English to Korean, in an attempt to find out where the hell he was supposed to go. He figured out the simple directions after a few minuites, swifly walking into a classroom not long after. Once inside a shorter, rounder looking male approached him with a smile, speaking rather loudly with a thick accent. 

 "Good morning! Sit down and enjoy yourself before the professor gets here. You're new, right?" The stranger spoke.

  Jaehyung blinked and nodded his head as the round faced boy went off to greet other students. Jaehyung stuck out like a sore thumb, not only was he the tallest and thinnest, but the scared expression gave him away more than anything. He found an empty seat by a group of girls and smiled at them, shyly saying "Hello," a few times, only to get a wave in response. These people had known eachother for years, and here he was intruding on their friendships. He took out the dictionary and tried to decipher what the teacher began to write as soon as she walked in, cursing himself for not studying more. Class just seemed to give him a headache, all the writing on the board not making much sense. He jotted down his notes in English and broekn Korean here and there when he caught sight of other people noticing the strange ways his pen moved. 

  The bell rang for lunch and class was dismissed. The round faced boy from earleir came up to him again as he packed away his things. "Hey! I'm Sungjin by the way, I hope I didnt scare you off at all." He said as a small form of apology. Jae shook his head and smiled shyly. "no, um.... It's okay." He replied, pushing his bangs away from his glasses. Sungjin nodded before grabbing something out of his bag, handing it to the taller male. "If you need help studying, let me know. I do turoring and stuff after school." He said. Jaehyung simply nodded as the other ran off to join his friends. 

  "What did he say?" he asked himself softly once the room was clear, stuffing the flyer into his bag with the other panflets he could barely decode. 

 He sighed and slipped his headphones in, but didnt dare play any music. It seemed childish, but he learned by listenig to other people speaking, so in a way, he was learning. He followed a crowd to the cafeteria, the windows letting in all the gray skies they could. It was such a gloomy day, really out of place, just like himself. He got food by pointing at what he'd like when he forgot some names, and quickly hurried out of line. The tables were full and crowded, it didnt seem so different from school back home at this point. He walked around a bit before a familiar voice called over to him. 

 "Hey, tall guy!" Sungjin exclaimed, stading up and beaconing Jehyung over.

 "Thank god..." Jae uttered under his breath as he made his way to the table, greeting the other students as he sat down beside Sungjin. "It's Jae, by the way." He smiled at the other boy beside him. Did this mean he made a friend? 

  Sungjin and the other boys were loud, laughing and talking about all sorts of things, video games, girls, school, food, and some other things he couldn't quite make out. It was nice to be welcomed into a group, even if it was just for today. While the others were distractd he pulled out his dictionary, flippin gthrough the pages in an attempt to understand what one of the other guys was saying. Sungjin caught eye of him, but didn't pay much mind to it. Lunch ended and Sungjin walked by Jaehyung back to class, starting to go on about the food not tasting as good as it did last year. Jae laughed it off and went back to the desk from earlier, noticing the clouds had let up a little. Things seemed to be going alright, all things considered. 

 The remainder of the day went as usual, Jae flipping through the dictionary and taking bilingual notes, hoping he'd be able to review them later. When class let up he walked out of the building towards the subway, thankfully memorizong the route before school had began, and very thankful there were English signs here and there. He boarded his train and sat down, holding his notebook in hand, re reading the jumbled mess he had written down through the day. Not much of it made sense, but he could probably get something out of it later. This time he played some music, trying to relax on the ride home. It didn't take long for him to reach his stop, making his way off the train and up to the surface again. It was raining again, and he didnt even have an umbrella. He quickly put his long legs to good use, running inside the apartment building not too far off. He sighed and wiped some water away from the dictionary as he climbed the stairs. He unlocked the door and was greeted by his sister, just telling her that school was "Fine," before changing out of his wet uniform and into dry clothes. 

 He sat on the edge of his bed, smiling softly as he flipped through some pictures of his friends back home, sending some of them a text. He grabbed his dictionary and studdied for an hour before his eyes got tired, jotting down "Sungjin," in his notebook so he wouldn't forget the first person that was nice to him. Dinner went as usual and he decided to get some early sleep that night, a bit too excited to see how class would go in the morning. As he fell asleep his dictionary sat on top of a clean uniform, everything ready and prepared for the next day.