7 - Armour Down

Christmas Magic

         He hears himself shout.

         Hakyeon is by his side in a second, grabbing his arm to put his burned hand under cold water. However, despite the acute pain, Taekwoon’s first reaction is to frantically push the other away and to dash out of the kitchen. Hakyeon catches him at the door and despite Taekwoon’s struggle, his shouts and pleadings, he manages to pull him to the bathroom. They end up sitting against the bathtub, Hakyeon maintaining firmly his hand under the cold run of water. Taekwoon isn’t resisting anymore.

         He doesn’t know how long they stayed like this. Eventually he stopped crying but it took a while for his sobs to recede. Now he’s feeling so tired and empty. He feels as if his nerves have been cut off, his body going all limp and feeble while he cried his eyes out.

         Hakyeon turns off the tap and Taekwoon lets him take care of him, lets him delicately dry his hand with a soft towel and then apply the healing cream they all have to soothe the occasional burns they get working at the coffee shop. When his hand is well bandaged, Hakyeon gently wipes his face with a warm wet towel. Before, he even helped Taekwoon blow his nose when it appeared that he couldn’t do it with only one hand.

         Their eyes meet and Taekwoon can see how concerned Hakyeon is. There are dry traces of tears on his face, a reminder of the emotional confession that led them to this mess. Taekwoon feels a pang of sadness and new tears prickle his eyes.

         “Stop crying, please... Taekwoon,... tell me what’s wrong...”

         Hakyeon’s voice is pleading softly, like he’s afraid of scaring Taekwoon. He rises a hand to Taekwoon’s face, maybe to fix his fringe in an affectionate gesture, but stops himself halfway, unsure, and Taekwoon can’t take it anymore.

This time, before Hakyeon can drop his arm back to his side, he catches his hand to rest it on his lap. Hakyeon looks at him quizzically whereas he lowers his eyes to stare at their linked hands. Hakyeon’s fingers are cold. The sleeves of his sweater are soaked and Taekwoon feels like crying again. His own sleeves are rolled up. He doesn’t know when Hakyeon did it and how, but it’s so typically Hakyeon, being so selfless and attentive... So loving... Whereas he’s been so unfair and selfish all this time... Such a fool and a coward.

         “I’m sorry... I’m so sorry...”

“It’s okay Taekwoon. I’m the one who’s sorry... I shouldn’t have...”

“No, please... I have to say... I’ve been so horrible with you... I’m sorry... It’s not you... I’m sorry... It’s me...”

         He feels hot tears flowing back on his cheeks and his next words are uttered between sobs and hiccups.

         “I tried... I tried so hard... to be like everyone else... Cause my parents... My father... He’ll never forgive me... Never... I’m the only son... and they waited so long to have a boy... But I can’t anymore... I thought... dating girls... I could marry one someday... I could... But when I met you...”

         He’s a sobbing mess, again, but he’s so tired of struggling, he doesn’t even want to fight his tears anymore.

         “When you met me?...” Hakyeon asks in a wondering whisper and he squeezes Taekwoon’s hand lightly. The soothing incentive is just what Taekwoon needs to calm himself a bit. He casts a quick glance at Hakyeon’s encouraging face before he continues, eyes fixed again on their joined hands.

         “When I met you... When I met you, everything fell apart... You’re so carefree about it... I’ve never met someone like you before, so confident... So unashamed about... about whom you are... And it frightened me so much, I wanted to run away every time we crossed path. And I did, most of the time... But I failed...”

         He probably should look at Hakyeon’s eyes to say the last part, but he doesn’t dare and his next words are uttered in a faint whisper.

         “I failed... at not falling in love with you”.

         There is a silence then, but before it becomes uncomfortable, Hakyeon is touching his face, tentatively at first, a light on the wet skin, before he settles his palm firmly against Taekwoon’s right cheek. With a sigh, Taekwoon closes his eyes and lets himself lean against the soft fingers.

         “I have to make sure... I don’t want to misunderstand, you know...”

         Taekwoon nods back. Eyes still closed. Hakyeon’s voice is so gentle.

         “Are you saying... Are you saying you like me?”

         Slowly, he opens his eyes to meet Hakyeon’s expectant and questioning gaze. His heartbeat goes faster and he feels the blush rising to his cheeks.

         “Yes, I... I like you.”

         Hakyeon’s growing smile is so beautiful. He’s so beautiful. And so close... If Taekwoon were to lean forward a bit...

         He pauses just a second to engrave the sight of Hakyeon closing his eyes, his face so open and clear, before he closes his own eyes again and presses his lips against Hakyeon’s smile.