3 - Christmas Plans

Christmas Magic

         It’s the 24th of December at last. Taekwoon worked the back shift with Hongbin, Sanghyuk and Hakyeon. The two younger boys are excited as usual. The cleaning of the coffee shop is done in a cheerful atmosphere and even Taekwoon feels like smiling at the joyous banter. Hongbin doesn’t stop teasing Sanghyuk for having Christmas with his family, whereas he’s going to spend his evening (and the night) with his girlfriend.

         “Even Wonshik has a date tomorrow! But it’s okay baby Hyuk: you’re too young for this anyway!”

         “I’m not too young! And I’m not a baby!”

         Hakyeon is laughing heartily as the youngest of them complains and Sanghyuk switches his attention to him.

         “Don’t laugh hyung. It’s not funny!”

         “I think it is, baby Hyuk!” Hakyeon is smiling widely as he playfully ruffles the other’s hair. Sanghyuk lets out a squeak and proceeds to get his hair back in place.

         “You’re mean hyung!”He whines. “Do you have a date too?” And he looks at the other with wide puppy eyes and a pout.

         “Oh, I’m sure hyung have something planned with his hot boyfriend!” Hongbin says with a grin and Taekwoon stops in the middle of what he was doing to look at Hakyeon. Suddenly, his heart is beating fast.

         The older looks very flustered. Blushing, he knocks Hongbin’s forehead.

         “I don’t have a boyfriend. Stop with your teasing, you brat!”

         “See, Hongbin! I’m not the only one!” Sanghyuk’s voice is triumphant.

         “There’s nothing to be so proud of, you single loser!” Hongbin has to interrupt himself, as Hakyeon is hitting him again. “Ouch!”

         “What’s wrong with being single?” Hakyeon threateningly asks.

         “Nothing hyung, I wasn’t talking about you! I’m sorry! Please, spare my life!” Hongbin starts making exaggerated bows to go along with his plea, inducing another laughing fit from Hakyeon.

         “So what are your plans hyung? Will you spend Christmas with your family?” Sanghyuk enquires.

         Hakyeon’s face darkens for an instant and this time, it’s Hongbin who is hitting Sanghyuk’s head while muttering a very low “Are you stupid?” However, Hakyeon is fast to get his act together and simply shrugs before answering.

         “No, I haven’t something planned really. I suppose an old movie and hot chocolate will do.” And he’s smiling softly.

         “Ah, Taekwoon hyung!” The unexpected shout startles Taekwoon. Sanghyuk is calling him out, like he suddenly remembered the other’s presence. “Didn’t you tell me you were spending Christmas alone too, with your parents travelling and your sisters visiting their in-laws? Why don’t you do something with Hakyeon hyung?”

         The youngest is pretty excited with his own idea, grinning like an idiot, whereas Hongbin seems ready to hit him again. As for Hakyeon, he looks rather uncomfortable. Next, he’s staring at Taekwoon with wide and interrogative eyes, Sanghyuk and Hongbin looking quite stunned by his side.

         Somehow, Taekwoon is as surprised as they are. He doesn’t quite believe he just asked Hakyeon to go to the cinema with him. He just remembers the blood ringing in his ears and catching the sound of his voice before what he said made any sense in his head. Now, with all those eyes fixed on him, he’s so embarrassed he’s almost tempted to pass it off as a joke, but something in Hakyeon’s demeanour prevents him from bailing out so cowardly. There is insecurity reflecting in the other’s eyes, like he’s indeed expecting Taekwoon to act so cruelly. Even Sanghyuk and Hongbin look uncertain. So he steels himself to speak again.

         “You’re also working the back shift tomorrow, aren’t you?” A bewildered Hakyeon confirms the statement with a small nod. “So we can meet at the cinema at 8:00”.

         It’s final, Taekwoon will spend his Christmas evening with Hakyeon.