It Was Hard Coming All This Way

Book I: Live Well Yourself

May 7, 2017

"Are we okay?"

Sungjae snapped back from his reminiscence, as Joy's voice was on repeat with what she asked.

It's funny how that simple question could send Sungjae riding a rollercoaster of emotions. He shifted in his seat to turn to Joy, who stared at him, anticipating a response. Worry, sadness, guilt, shame, and fear gripped him all in one go. But the emotion he felt which stood out the most was...relief. It wasn't just him after all, who felt something wasn't right. Joy's question validated this feeling he couldn't put his finger on.

"I don't know," was all Sungjae could manage to say, as he bowed his head to avoid her eyes. "Oppa, mianhe." Joy mirrored his action. "Mianhe, Sooyoung." he echoed.

"Is there someone..." he trailed off. "No, no, no! Oppa, I wouldn't..." she quickly replied.

"You? Is there..." throwing the question back to him.

"I would never do that to you, Sooyoung-ah." he said almost whisperingly.

"What happened to us, Sungjae?"

"Molla, baby."

------

They stood in silence outside the door to RV's dorm, for what seemed like forever. Joy couldn't bring herslf to look at him straight in the eye. Sungjae tilted her chin as he gazed at her with a sad smile.

"Sooyoung, stop frowning. Smile. You're prettier that way."

"I can't remember the last time I heard you laugh, Sungjae."

"Stop. It doesn't matter." he said while tucking her stray hair behind her ear. "You're beautiful. Don't ever forget that."

He held out his hand for her to take.
Her fingers intertwined with his.
Their glistening eyes met, as tears threatened to fall.
No words were spoken, but they knew.

They both understood that they had just broken up...

- END -

A/N:

What did you think?
I love this song and I always imagined different stories behind it. It's sad, yet addicting.