My Heart Feels Weird

Book I: Live Well Yourself

He flopped down on the couch, next to a stunned Sami. While Sami's back, Sungjae reached in his pocket to pull out his phone. Thoughtlessly, he began tapping on the keys.

"I'm home. Don't forget to eat dinner and sleep early."

Joy read his message as she finished singing her line in rehearsal. 

"Ok, I will. Good night." She absentmindedly replied.

------

Sungjae was about to get up from the couch to head to his room, when he heard a door open. A few seconds later, out came Hyunsik. "Oh, Sungjae, why are you home so early?"

"Wae?"

"It's May 7. Your day with Joy-ah. Heol, it's been 2 years!"

As if on cue, Sungjae placed his hands on his head in disbelief. He stood up and paced back and forth. "Eotteokhae?!"

His hyung stifled a laugh while shaking his head. It's gonna be a long night for you, buddy. Hyunsik walked over to the maknae to pat his shoulder. "You still have time. Call her and apologize."

Sungjae immediately dialled Joy's number. Play it cool Sungjae, he thought to himself. "Oppa?" Joy answered with confusion. "Sooyoung-ah, I'll be there at your dorm in 15 minutes. Get dressed."

"Wae? I'm not at the dorm. I have rehearsals for our comeback, remember?"

Sungjae dodged her question and replied with, "Good, it'll just be 10 minutes then. You guys are done with practice, right?"

"Ne, I'll wait for you at the entrance."

------

As soon as the call ended, he slumped on the couch and heaved a sigh. That was close! Sungjae stared blankly on the floor when he realized he hadn't anything planned. He just wanted to get some shut eye. Out of exhaustion, he closed his eyes for a few seconds. I don't feel like doing this now! Wait, what are you thinking Sungjae? It's your anniversary for crying out loud!

"Argh! Shut up!" he told himself in frustration.

------

The car's engine revved as he gripped tightly on the steering wheel. You've got this Sungjae! I'm gonna take her to a nice place for dinner, tip the waiter for a surprise bottle of wine, a little small talk, drop her off, and end the night.

As he pulled up to the entrance of the SM building, he felt a pang of guilt. Joy immediately saw him driving up, and lightly waved at him. He forced a smile as he waved back.

"Why does my heart feel weird?" he muttered to himself, as he got off the car to open the door for Joy.