Are We Okay?

Book I: Live Well Yourself

Joy couldn't help but feel awkward to be sitting in a 5-star restaurant looking so casual. Both Sungjae and her were definitely not dressed for the venue! She, in her skinny denim jeans and oversized blue, plaid collared shirt. While Sungjae had on ripped jeans and a white oversized Balenciaga shirt. How can he act so coolly in this place wearing that? she thought.

"How was your day, baby?" Sungjae asked as he reached for her hand across the table. Joy snapped out of her thoughts with his question. She smiled on cue and took his hand. "It's been hectic. You know how comebacks are.. What about you? What were you up to today?"

Sungjae squinted a little, trying to process her question. Had she forgotten as well? Or is she checking to see if I remembered?

"Why the face?" she asked, wondering if she said something wrong. Their attention was suddenly diverted when the waiter perkily greeted them, holding a bottle of wine. "The finest wine for the finest young couple celebrating their anniversary! Congratulations!"

Perfect timing! Nice save, thought Sungjae.

"Gamsahamnida!" they said in unison, smiling. The waiter looked on adoringly, as he poured the couple their drinks. Ah young love! They're perfect for each other, even synchronized in speaking, the waiter thought.

They had always been like that since they became close in their reality show, until they became official. One pushes, while the other pulls. They complemented each other, finished each other's sentences, and laughed together at their inside jokes just by looking at each other.
They were a team.

But today, their synced response went unnoticed, unappreciated by both.

------

Sungjae raised his glass to make a toast and noticed how Joy stared at the table, seemingly ashamed. "Sooyoung-ah...baby..happy 2nd anniversary.."

"Has it been 2 years?" she asked, managing a smile. "Mianhae, Oppa..."

"Wae, Sooyoung-ah?"

"I completely forgot with everything going on. I don't even have a gift for you. I don't deserve all the effort you put into this."

Sungjae's eyes softened as he stared, amazed by Joy's honesty. "Don't be sorry. If anything, I should apologize too." Joy was caught off guard by his statement and looked at Sungjae full of question in her eyes. "What are you saying, Oppa?"

Joy listened intently as Sungjae explained how his hyung was the one who reminded him of their day. "That's a relief, then. I was afraid you'd be disappointed and upset, so I pulled this off at the last minute." he finished off.

"I guess we've both been caught up in the whirlwind of our comeback and your shows and concert preparation." she added, trying to justify the situation. "Yeah, that's right." he replied to ride along.

After reassuring each other that there were no hard feelings for the forgotten celebration, they continued on with their late dinner. Undeniably, though, the awkwardness between the two were still there.

------

They sat in silence after Sungjae cut the engine off of his car. Parked in front of RV's dorm, the two didn't budge from inside the car.

"I'll send you off, then. Irene noona must be waiting up for you." He reached to open the car's door when Joy suddenly grabbed his arm, stopping him in his tracks. "Sungjae, wait!" she said.

"Are we okay?"