Promise*

Soul Mark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

A/N: I finally got enough time on my hands to write up a little update for this fic! Sorry for the long wait, you guys, I have to admit I was a little stumped on what to write for the longest time.

 I'd like to thank each and every one of my readers for tuning in, commenting, and giving this fic upvotes. OVER 200 UPVOTES I CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE. I never really expected this fic to get this far, and I'm beyond thankful and grateful that you all have been enjoying my work so far on this. I think there's going to be one last chapter after this - you might guess what it'll be about after reading this update!! Enjoy~

*Also, please forgive any spelling errors I might have - I'm posting after work AHHA

 

 

 

Seulgi has always considered herself decent enough of a cook. Over her two year span of being a broke college student, the architecture major has learned just enough tricks to make instant ramen and macaroni and cheese burst with flavor and turn stale, marked down foods into a wholesome meal.

Heaven knows Sooyoung and Yeri drop by her apartment for dinner at least once every weekend, and though the three of them all know it’s because they can’t resist the architecture major’s food – the two younger women will deny it to no end.

Seulgi’s mastered a number of recipes to make when she’s at home and feels too guilty to call take out at eleven at night, but watching Joohyun masterfully seasons the beef sizzling over the stove had Seulgi second guessing her own abilities. They had ducked into one of Amorous’ workshops on the fourth floor after searching madly for some place that suited their needs.

 Ultimately, the pair was drawn into the space due to the mouthwatering, wafting scent of freshly cooked food that made their growling stomachs twinge. Local Motive was surprisingly large on the inside, though its outward appearance gave off that of a mere corner store.

The walls were made up of rustic, dark multicolored brick, the floors of a rich rosewood. Dotted all around the workshop were pristine white tables and chairs, for dining at. As soon as Seulgi and Joohyun stepped through the glass doors, they were bombarded with the scent of frying meat. The sound of giggling trickled to them from the back of the shop, where the cooking would take place.

As the pair checked in for a lesson, Seulgi took another long look at the store’s interior. She’d never considered the combination of brick and wood paneling before, yet Local Motive pulled it off quite nicely. There were hanging ferns from the ceiling, artificial candles flickering in tiny glass cups adorning the tables, as well as soft and soothing jazz music playing in the background.

“You guys are just in time,” the receptionist said as she keyed Joohyun and Seulgi’s names into the computer program on her screen. Her fingers fly across her keyboard as she peers up at them. “This is one of our last classes for today, and it begins in about five minutes.”

The couple shared a knowing look between them after being shown to one of the many tables in the dining room, both of them silently thinking that after so long – their timing was finally right for each other it seemed. They appeared to have beaten the dinner rush, as well.

Almost as soon as Seulgi and Joohyun had settled at their table, people began flowing through the doors of Local Motive in an almost endless stream. As they watched in a sort of bewitched rapture, their hands absentmindedly twirled together. Their fingers were still playing with each other’s fingers when the receptionist called out their names to lead them back to the kitchen a few minutes later.

Shyly, the pair pulled away from each other reluctantly and followed the receptionist into the bustling kitchen, curious to see what Local Motive would have in store for them. In the short amount of time they were left waiting, Joohyun had pulled up the company’s website on her phone.

The soulmates poured over the details, learning that Local Motive’s mission was directly linked to its name – they strove to bring motivation to learn the art of cooking to local residents. Their menu changed with each passing month in order to bring the best out of that season, and their dishes were always a surprise for their clients.

Excitement thrummed through each of the young women’s hearts as they approached the revolving double doors of the kitchen. Their hands had slipped together again, automatically seeking each other out for comfort as they braved this new hobby together.

As soon as they stepped through the doors, the pair were led to a rack of freshly washed white aprons, decorated with the company’s name and logo in bold blue font. Seulgi, being the taller of the two, easily reached up to the rack to pull down an apron for each of them, and passed one to Joohyun.

Joohyun insisted on tying Seulgi’s apron for her, despite the younger woman’s protesting. Truthfully, Seulgi had no idea how to tie one on herself – she’d never been good with knotting things behind her back, so she was secretly thankful for her soulmate’s stubbornness. (Joohyun had watched, bemused, as Seulgi struggled with the slender strings, for a full thirty seconds before stepping in).

Once they’d secured their aprons, the soulmates were led further into the kitchen by the receptionist. Workers hefting giant vats of ingredients over their shoulders, sacks of flour, clean pots and pans of all different shapes and sizes, passed by them numerous times, each scurrying to get back to their positions.

The sounds of various chopping and boiling and chattering wafted through the air, along with the scent of fresh food. Eventually, the trio crossed the room, stopping in front of a giant industrial sink, where they were instructed to wash their hands in.

“Each couple gets their own little work station,” the receptionist explained as they lathered their hands with the fragrant soap. She pointed out each individual cooking area, lined up in neat rows of threes in the middle of the room. They were small stations, complete with their own countertops, stovetops, pots and pans, utensils, everything the couple would need in order to prepare their dish.

“There’s room here for about eighteen people to be taught at one time,” the receptionist continued, leading them once more through the fray of workers. Seulgi and Joohyun “oo-ed” and “ahh-ed”, eyeing the bustling area with wide eyes. Finally, they came to stop at one of the kitchen stations in the first row, and were left with another small smile from the receptionist.

Patiently, Seulgi and Joohyun watched the other couples file in to the room. “Are you nervous?” Joohyun murmured into Seulgi’s ear, surveying the other people’s reactions. “Nothing could match how anxious I was to finally meet you,” Seulgi confessed, shaking her head ever so slightly as her eyes poured into Joohyun’s, “I can face anything now.”

The sound of Joohyun’s hand making contact with Seulgi’s bicep is loud enough to draw the attention of the couple at the stat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter