Fresh Start*

Soul Mark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Do you think they can see us from here?” Yeri whispers fervently. The blonde’s eyes narrow as she competes with the other three women for a glance at Seulgi and Joohyun. They’d ducked behind the corner of Red Velvet baker into another corner store, and were inconspicuously huddling together in the front window. “Shhh,” Sooyoung hisses from her spot beside Yeri, “What if they hear you!?” Seungwan rolls her eyes at the younger couple’s antics. “You guys know that they’re behind glass, and we’re behind glass, too, right?” She quips, unable to keep the evident sass out of her tone.

Consequently, Eunji lightly smacks Seungwan’s forearm, responding to the blatant sarcasm lacing the Canadian’s voice. “Wannie, let the children be,” Eunji chuckles, sensing her soulmate biting back another onslaught of more harsh words. Contrary to what Joohyun and Seulgi had both thought, none of the four of them were actually going to see Spiderman, or at least that’s what Sooyoung and Seungwan were thinking. As soon as they’d exited the bakery, the two women gathered together to hatch a plan to spy on Seulgi and Joohyun without their knowledge.

“Wait a second, you mean we aren’t actually seeing the movie?” Yeri hissed into her girlfriend’s ear as Sooyoung and Seungwan murmured to each other excitedly. Though her short stature was nowhere near terrifying, when Yeri began seething, it was best to keep clear of her temper. Eunji looked just as confused as Yeri, eyeing her soulmate curiously. “Hang on,” Eunji butts in, “I thought we were going to see Spiderman, too…Seungwan?”

But both of the young women’s soulmates were so busy talking over each other about ways to infiltrate Red Velvet Bakery without Seulgi and Joohyun noticing that they didn’t hear any of the protests going on around them. After a long pause of Eunji and Yeri silently observing Sooyoung and Seungwan, Yeri finally becomes fed up. The blonde rolls her eyes and claps her hands together loudly beside both of the scheming women’s ears. The echoing sound causes them to jump back in shock, eyes darting back and forth between their soulmates.

“Eh?” Seungwan yelps, throwing a sidelong glance at Eunji, who was giving her a sullen look. The Canadian’s attitude shifted, with her features softening from their surprised state, “What is it, Eunji?” Her soulmate was standing next to Yeri with a frown on her face and her arms crossed over her chest. Sooyoung similarly turns to Yeri and sheepishly grins down at her, “I-I promise we can go see the movie after, Yeri-ah!” The younger woman raises an eyebrow at Sooyoung. She wouldn’t be fooled too easily. “You mean after we go spy on Joohyun-unnie and Seulgi, right?” Yeri asks exasperatedly, her voice filled with disapproval. Sooyoung and Seungwan’s eyes both lit up instantaneously, and the two mischief makers nod their heads feverishly in agreement to their plan.

“Exactly, yes!” Seungwan agrees, turning to Sooyoung, who was nodding with the same amount of fervor. The sight reminds Yeri of a pair of children playing together, but she keeps her fond smile far from reaching her serious face. “We can go right after!” Sooyoung adds cheerfully, trying to persuade the other two women as best as she possibly could. Yeri clears , and Sooyoung’s grin instantly slips from her face. “O-or we could go see the movie now,” Sooyoung stammers, shoving Seungwan with her shoulder to indicate the change in their plans. The taller woman gives her partner in crime a pointed look that takes her three seconds too long to interpret, but the Canadian gets the message all the same. “Oh,” Seungwan mumbles, grasping for Eunji’s hand, “Right! The movie! We should probably get going right now in case we miss the showing!”

Yeri leads the way towards the elevators with Sooyoung in tow, whispering in her ear if she were actually mad or not. After a moment’s pause, the younger woman caves and reaches for Sooyoung’s hand. “I’m not mad, Sooyoung-ah,” Yeri confesses as they walk hand in hand, “I just think that Seulgi-unnie and Joohyun-unnie deserve their privacy, that’s all.” She flashes a smile at Sooyoung before pressing her lips to the taller woman’s cheek, “How would you have felt if Seulgi-unnie spied on us on our first date?” With a single pointed look, she shatters all aspects of Sooyoung keeping her cool. At the sight of Sooyoung’s coloring cheeks, Yeri merely smirked, “That’s what I thought.”

Eunji and Seungwan trailed behind the younger couple, arm-in-arm and more content than they’d ever felt before. “Why did you want to spy on your friend, Seungwannie?” Eunji asked, biting her lip. Seungwan looked down at the tile floor as they walked, searching for the right words. After a short moment, she finally opens to reply. “Joohyun-unnie…has taken really good care of me,” the Canadian begins, “I was a transfer student to Seoul National not too long ago, and I had no one until I met her. She was kind enough to take me under her wing and show me around campus.” Eunji is surprised by the sincerity and passion laced in her soulmate’s words, and tightened her grip on the Canadian’s lithe forearm.

“I just want the best for her,” Seungwan continues, smiling softly at Eunji, “She deserves it. I was just a little worried that perhaps Seulgi wasn’t the best of characters.” She shrugs timidly, “I know it sounds silly since she’s friends with Sooyoung and Yeri…but I wanted to see if Seulgi would change if we all left. You see, when we were waiting in line for the elevator, there was this man who tried to hurt her.” Seungwan feels her voice tighten up within , but she forces herself to continue, to explain herself to her soulmate.

With another reassuring smile from Eunji, Seungwan finds the strength to finish her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter