unrequited? unrequited. (2yeon/najeong)

najeongmi drabbles

"But we've watched this a million times already," Nayeon whines because she's really tired from all this.

"Shut up, I never complain when we rewatch yours," Jeongyeon shushed Nayeon and pressed play.

They're on Jeongyeon's room at 11 pm, now watching Jeongyeon's favourite movie with her favourite actress as the lead who happens to be their bestfriend.

"I'll just sleep. You know I love Mina too but honestly, I'm so tired of this plot," Nayeon shifts and rests her head on Jeongyeon's lap making Jeongyeon lift her hand as an automatic response because they've done this before, so many times. Jeongyeon lets her sulky bestfriend sleep on her lap as she watches Mina on the screen and never averts her gaze anywhere else.

Mina. She loves Mina. She loved Mina even before all of this, even before the public did, even before she's almost out of reach. Who am I kidding? She's always been out of my reach, out of my league. Mina, do you know how much I love you? 

Jeongyeon sighed, exhaled hard while she stares at Mina and her brilliant acting, "I love you, Mina. When will you ever know?"

While Jeongyeon thought Nayeon is sleeping, Nayeon almost cries right then and there. She heard her heart break, again, after hearing those words that she already heard a million times before. When will I hear my name after you say those three words? She almost cries but she held it in.

 

...

'I must get used to this,' that's what she told herself when she noticed how whipped Jeongyeon is towards someone else not her.

"Mina?!" Nayeon almost stood up when she heard that that someone who makes Jeongyeon look like a fool was and is their own bestfriend. Jeongyeon restrained her from standing and told her to tone down because they were on a cafe that time.

"You're telling me it's Mina this whole time?" and Jeongyeon nods, smiles and even though it's because of someone not her, someone that's Mina, she loves that stupid smile.

...

 

"I must get used to this," she thought out loud and that caught Jeongyeon's attention.

"Nayeon, you awake?"

Nayeon cursed mentally and just hugs Jeongyeon's hand that's rested near her head and Jeongyeon thought she was just having a bad dream. She pats Nayeon's head with her other hand and smiles, "Having bad dreams again, huh" and continues to watch the woman she adores.

Nayeon, still aching, just settles for this. She settles for this moment inhaling the distinct scent of Jeongyeon with her pyjamas, holding Jeongyeon's hand with her rough palm—a sign of her working hard, and hearing Jeongyeon's voice that's currently speaking softly, mouthing exact words from the movie. She prefers this, though she looks dumb, she prefers this.

Nayeon prefers being with the densest, most annoying, bestfriend love of her life than nothing.

Despite the cracking of her already broken heart, she tightens her hold and comforts Jeongyeon secretly. Her heart hurts even more, poor us, Jeong, we love so much but those we love, love someone else. And she wished people could just choose the people they would love, by then, she would persuade Mina to love Jeongyeon back. She wishes hard and drifts to sleep.