EIGHT

Give Your Heart a Break

He checked the time from his phone and saw that it was already six in the morning. He quietly opened the door to make his way downstairs, not wanting to interrupt her sleep. He used the bathroom before going to the kitchen to wash his face and he saw the dark circles under his eyes. He was only able to take two hour naps and would wake up in between while looking after his wife and he had to give her another sponge bath in the evening. She also got up once more when it was just a few minutes till midnight to throw up. At that point, he was already sure that she was able to get rid of all of the meals that she took in since yesterday or even her dinner a night ago. She looked relieved after throwing up again because she threw up until nothing came out and had a good night’s sleep.

Minho already started to cook porridge for Krystal. Though he knew that she would probably eat a tad late in the morning or even just in time for lunch, he decided to have a few spoonfuls of it for breakfast. Also, if ever she wakes up early, there’s food that’s ready for her so she can drink her medicine. He only had a sandwich for dinner last night because he didn’t want to be gone around Krystal for too long because of her condition. After the porridge was cooked, he scooped a small serving for himself in a small bowl and blew on the spoon to not get burnt for each intake. He finished his food quickly and washed the dishes before running back up.

Krystal fluttered her eyes open in just a few minutes before the clock struck 12. Minho was still lying down on his improvised bed on the floor beside her bed. Carefuly

 

With just a couple of minutes left till it was noon, Krystal finally woke up. She slowly fluttered her eyes open and prayed that she would no longer feel worse. Her eyes were still a tad heavy and there was still a bit of ache felt from her head. She also felt like she was still floating, but not so much unlike the day before. She was not feeling a whole lot better yet, but she would rate her condition to just be bad from worse. Still, it was a bit of an improvement. After remembering what day it was, she gasped before she forced herself to bolt up into a sitting position, which hurt her head a lot, then made her feel like a feather.

He heard a small sound from the bed and at the exact moment that he sat up, so did the woman on her bed. Minho was quick to stand and hold onto Krystal’s shoulders when he saw her falling back down from suddenly sitting up. She still looked worse, in his opinion. She tried to sit up, but she was still too weak. Her body was about to fall back, as if it was blown by the wind and her eyes were still droopy.

“What’s wrong,” he asked with a gentle tone, but there was still concern and worry in it.

She looked at him for a short while before speaking. “I need to attend to my patients today.” She tried to lift the duvet from her legs, but her arms were still weak and the duvet felt extremely heavy.

“No, no. You still need to rest. You’re temperature have just gone down and it may shoot up anytime. Please just rest first, you still need to gain strength.”

“But-“

“It’s okay. I already called your assistant and she informed the hospital that you’re out.”

“What about you, you have to leave for work.”

“I’ve informed my assistant as well and she already informed the hospital.”

“Minho, I’m okay now, I promise.” She pulled his hands that were supporting her while sitting, then showed him that she is now able to get out of bed. Of course she stood slowly and she was still wobbly, then she started to take a step, which made Minho jump to the other side of the bed to be in front of her.

Thankfully, he followed his instinct. She couldn’t even walk in a straight line and she was struggling as she tried, and after three steps, she already lost her balance. He quickly caught her and carried her back to the bed. “Krystal, please just rest. You still need a lot of strength. You’ve overworked yourself during the past weeks. You weren’t able to get a lot of sleep and you weren’t able to eat properly. I just want you to rest for the whole day until the weekend, please.”

She could sigh before nodding her head slowly like a child listening to her parent’s orders. “Sorry,” she said weakly. “Can I go back to sleep?” Her eyes were having a hard time to stay open and her voice was already trailing off. “I still feel sleepy.”

“Yes,” he said to her after seeing how sick and tired she still looked like. “But you must eat first so you can drink your medicine.”

“Alright,” she said in a whisper.

“Let me just get your food, and I’ll be right back.”

She nodded in acknowledgement and took a nap while waiting for him to come back. She really didn’t have an appetite yesterday, so today she’ll be finding if she can now eat or still not.

After a few minute, Minho came back with a tray. He placed the tray on her bed before helping her up and putting pillows behind her to make her feel comfortable. He reheated the porridge before serving it to her, so with each bite, he would blow on the spoon for her. He fed her and watched if she would be throwing up or not.

Thankfully, she is now able to digest the food without wanting to throw up. However, to be able to make things sure, she was eating slowly. She felt full with only a couple of spoons, so she shook her head as a gesture that she no longer wanted to eat. “I’m done.”

He placed the bowl and the spoon down before tearing the medicine pack open to give her a tablet and placed it on her hand that was already held out for it.

She drank the medicine and took the glass from the tray. Before she could even touch the glass, it was already gone and she felt a glass toucher her lower lip. Shortly, she heard her husband’s voice say, “here, drink water.” With his help, she drank the water and slowly laid down.

“Wait, hold on.” He let her head rest on his arm and he held her to let her be comfortable, while his other arm was busy moving around because he was putting the pillows back to their proper places. After patting her pillow, he gently laid her down. “There you go.”

She moved her head to find a comfortable position for it before she started dozing off to dreamland. “Minho,” she called to him with a gentle tone, which stopped him from standing up. “Thank you,” she added while looking at him with the sleepiness still in her eyes and flashed a weak smile.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled back at her before he placed his hand on her cheek and began caressing it with his thumb. “Get well soon.” He waited until her breathing became steady, then he lifted the tray back to the kitchen.

 

Minho went to his room to shower, then after getting dressed, he went back to his spot on her bedroom floor. After a few minutes of checking his messages, he checked her temperature and made sure that she wasn’t soaked in her own sweat to avoid another illness. “After six hours, she’ll have to drink her medicine.” He got his phone to look at the time. “Just three more hours.”

To kill time, he silently played the games on his phone, switching from one game to another, and he also read conspiracy theories from different areas with a variety of topics. Keeping himself busy that was no longer new to him. As he was reading one article, his phone suddenly rang. Thankfully, it was on vibrate to avoid making any sound. He took the call after seeing the familiar as it was his college classmate who. Instead of leaving the room, he just spoke in a soft volume. “Hey, man! What’s up?”

“No, I’m not going to the seminar.”

“Maybe next time.”

“Sorry, man. My wife’s more important.” He peeked at Krystal on the bed and saw her still lying down. The thought of her being sick made him smile sadly. “Her health’s not in a good state right now.” He silently let out a sigh. People actually die when their too fatigued and he was just thankful that she was still alright, somehow. If there are no improvements in a week, he decided to rush her to the hospital for confinement.

“Will do, thank you. Yeah, see you some other time.”

 

Krystal was slowly waking up from her sleep. She felt like it was long, but it was just a three hour nap. In those three hours, she was in a deep sleep, which made her feel well rested. She stretched on the bed as she was preparing to open her eyes when she heard a soft voice speaking from the floor. She furrowed her brows to make sure that she wasn’t hearing things.

“Maybe next time.” 

Someone was really speaking and she was sure that it was Minho. His voice still sounds the same, though the volume was kept low. Slowly, she opened her eyes and didn’t actually mean to eavesdrop since she was really there and he was in her room. Knowing that it was just the two of them at home and in her room, she guessed that he was talking to someone on the phone.

“Sorry, man,” she heard him say to the other person on the phone. “My wife’s more important.”

She was shocked with those words. He could’ve just told the person he was talking to that she was sick and he was keeping her company, but another part of her told her that he was only following his code as a doctor. She somehow felt bad that he was keeping her from going somewhere or doing something because he had to stay for her. She soon realized that instead of having to stay, it was rather him choosing to stay for her.

When she heard him hang up, she called to her in a shaky and weak voice as she just woke up. “Minho?”

 

He heard her voice just after hanging up with the call. He got up to sit on the the edge of the bed and was surprised to see her up. “Sorry, did I wake you? How are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling quite better now,” she replied with a small smile. “It’s alright, you didn’t wake me, don’t worry.”

“Oh, alright.” He reached for the thermometer on her bedside table and placed it under her arm. “Let’s see if your temperature got lower.”

She obeyed him and nodded. “Minho, do you have to go somewhere?”

“Huh?”

“I heard you talking to someone on the phone. I didn’t hear the whole conversation, don’t worry. I just heard you say maybe next time and apologize, till you hang up.”

“Oh, that one.” He took the thermometer after a beeping sound was heard. Her temperature did get lower, but she was still a bit warm. “You still have slight fever. We could get rid of that easily. Just rest, of course.”

“So, you have somewhere to be,” she asked going, back to the topic.

“Nope.” He placed the thermometer back on the bedside table before looking at her brown orbs. “I was invited to go to a seminar this weekend and they were waiting for my confirmation. However, I’ve already sent mine yesterday and my classmate in uni heard that I wasn’t going, so he just called me. I’ve sent my reply yesterday along with the notice that we’ll both be out. I already fixed everything yesterday, so you don’t need to worry about a thing.” He smiled at her before raising his thumb.

“Thank you for choosing to look out for me.” She pursed her lips together and curved them upward. “And also, sorry because I kinda kept you from staying behind. You would miss all the fun just because I’m sick.”

“There’s no need to apologize, you know. Besides, they’re just gonna spend the weekend being fat and there’s always a next time- if I decide to go.” He raised his eyebrows while he flashed a small cheeky smile.

She nodded while chuckling. “Yeah, that’s why I no longer attend those seminars. I rarely went because all they do is do stuff that requires spending money and they call it ‘resting.’” She placed air quotes when she said resting, then she rolled her eyes. She saw him nod in agreement. “Sorry to kill the vibe, but I’m a bit thirsty.”

“Water?”

“Yes please,” she replied.

With that, he quickly left the room and went downstairs to fetch her a glass of water. After what seemed like 2 minutes, he was back with a glass of water. “Here you go.” Instead of giving it to her directly, he placed it on her bedside and helped her sit up.

Krystal was a bout to reach for the glass, but Minho was quicker than her. He was still holding the glass to help her drink, while her hands were just encircling the glass, along with Minho’s hand as a support. After drinking, she softly pushed the glass away and removed her hands from its hold. “Thank you.” She went back to her laying position and just spent the next few minutes of silence with her husband. After a couple of minutes, she felt herself slowly drifting back to sleep. “Minho,” she called to him again before going into a deep sleep.

“Mhm?” He was still on the edge of her bed, scrolling through his phone, but her sleepy voice made her look at him. Her voice was already a whisper as she was about to fall into a deep sleep once again.

“Thank you for staying.” Her eyes would no longer stay open, though she fought to keep them open. Her words were also barely audible.

The corner of his lips curved up before patting her hair. “It’s nothing. You’re more important.” He leaned forward to kiss her forehead, then he went back to his spot on the floor and made himself comfortable by lying down. Shortly after, he, too fell asleep.

 


 

Author's note: And here's 2/2 of the double update :) let me know what you guys think in the comments section below (you'll be getting bonus karma points. how cool is that?! They didn't do this back in the day- wow, I'm really old) and please don't forget to hit subscribe as well. Thank you! :)