FOUR

Give Your Heart a Break

Minho and Krystal would barely speak to each other. Their conversations only consisted of basic statements, such as asking the other if they’ve eaten, how was today’s work, and telling each other to rest. They were shy around each other, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t look out for each other. They were both doctors anyway. There was almost no skinship either, except at times when she had to hold his arm during parties, or when she’d hit his arm. She was also aware that her husband would carry her to her room in cases wherein she falls asleep downstairs.

Both were an only child and studied in exclusive schools, a private school with a whooping amount for a tuition to get their basic education before entering college in prestigious universities to have their pre-med studies. After studying in those schools, they were off to medical school and again, a whopping amount of money was spent. They were both lucky that their parents were able to provide them with only the best and for that, they were grateful and repaid their hard work by excelling academically since grade school.

Krystal had everything. Or maybe not. She has a loving mom, she’s well-travelled and have visited all the continents, she grew up with a maid and a chauffeur, was consistently an honor student since pre-school, their family friends all had an impressive background, would only attend parties that require dressing to the nines, which is why she’s often teased as a part of the high society, she had designer items in her closet since she was a toddler, she is smart, and she is pretty. She just didn’t have siblings, and her dad? She never felt that she lacked a parent because her mom did everything for her and showered her with so much love.

Minho was also blessed with everything in life. He has a mom who takes care of him at home and was always there to see him go to school and wait for him to return, and a dad who provides only the best for them. They would fly to the States on long breaks to visit their family there, he also grew up with a maid and a chauffeur, he had video games and was able to afford the latest games and consoles that came out, and had a majority of branded items in his closet. He was an honor student since elementary, he is handsome as one of the students in university gave him a chocolate, but he didn’t have siblings.

They were both teased sometimes as rich kids, but they hated it. His reason was his dad was just a part of the working class that’s why they’re able to have a comfortable life, unlike some of his classmates who are heirs of big companies. Her reason, on the other hand, was no one was really rich and whenever Krystal would say this, she would shut people up. “Even the rich worked hard to achieve that status in life. No one is really rich because they all do the same thing. They all work.”

 

Having been an only child, the two were always silent at home. They were used to not talking to not talking to anyone in the comforts of home. Krystal was on the couch, reading her book, while Minho was on the armchair, trying to finish the crime game he’s been hooked with on his phone. Others would find this boring, but they don’t mind the “boring lifestyle” because they’ve been used to it for as long as they can remember.

The sound of the phone broke the silence, which made them turn their heads to look at it. “I don’t answer the phone,” she said before shaking her head when he looked at her.

He was trying to study her face. She looked as if she had no expression and maintained her usual front, but her eyes were a bit widened. He was trying to see if aside from being shocked, she was also worried. He made his way to the telephone and just looked at her expression while he answered the call.

She was listening to every word that Minho would say and it made her curious. She wanted to know who was on the phone, but she decided to ask him who it was later. She gulped when she saw him take a long pause while her shoulders were tensed up, then she motioned for him to put the phone down.

Minho raised his hand to tell her to wait. He was still listening to the voice on the other end of the line. “Oh, okay. Thank you. I’ll tell her. Bye.” He put the phone down and went back to his seat. “That was my mom.”

Krystal finally relaxed her tensed shoulders and felt them carefully going down when he revealed who the caller was. “Is everything okay?”

He nodded with a small smile. “She just told me that she and dad was supposed to go on a trip yesterday, but dad forgot so she told me about it today because she knew that there was no one here yesterday. And she told me to send her regards to you.”

She smiled as he was telling the story, finding it cute and funny at the same time. “Thank you.”

They went back to the state of their shared silence and resumed what they were doing. Minho would notice how Krystal acted like whenever their phone would ring occasionally. It rarely rang when they were home and the number of times that it did can be counted. Almost a year into marriage and they didn’t really take the time to know each other. They were both so busy in finally being doctors that they sometimes forget that they’re now sharing their life with another person.

“What do you wanna eat for lunch?”

“You mean late lunch,” she corrected him.

“Sorry, I meant late lunch. Is pasta okay with you?”

She nodded. She would always say that she can live for the rest of her life eating pasta. “Sounds perfect.”

He got up and made his way to the kitchen to cook. He knows that his wife doesn’t eat meat. He asked her if she doesn’t eat meat when he noticed that she ordered only vegetables or seafood whenever they would eat outside. Minho has already adjusted to her diet, but he would still eat meat sometimes. 

“You need me to help you with anything?”

“Thanks, but I’m all good,” he said to her from the kitchen.

It was Sunday and it was their only free day. It’s a day where they’re both at home the whole day, resting from the previous week that was spent having checkups, surgeries, vaccines, and doing rounds. They were comfortable in sharing silence, which was nice. They were okay with being bored together because they were both homebodies and they both describe themselves as a boring person. Being married still doesn’t feel different for them. The only difference was they were paying the bills and taxes now, they also don’t have a maid because they’ll only be at home to sleep and spend and entire day, plus they live in a townhouse, so the space wasn’t really big. How they were with their families and at home is how they are in their new home. They were both close with their parents while growing up, though they didn’t speak much at home.

 

“Food’s ready,” he said from the dining area. Krystal put her book down and made her way to the lunch table. He wanted to ask her a lot of things. He was concerned why she’d always have widened eyes, though she tries to control it, when the phone would ring. “Does she hate it, did she find it too noisy? He can just switch the ringer off if that would make her comfortable- or maybe the sound just surprises her,” he thought.

“How’s the food?” He managed to ask her about what he prepared her, but not about her actions.

“Tastes great. Just like how mom makes it.” She smiled at him before placing the noodles in . “What’s your schedule for tomorrow?”

“Still the usual. And you?”

“I’ll be attending a conference from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. You can leave late. I’ll just bring my car to work.” Their clinic hours are both from 11:00 AM  - 5:00 PM, but there are occasions wherein they have to leave the house early, such as conferences and surgeries that are scheduled early, and there are also cases wherein they exceed their clinic hours and leave the hospital late for surgeries that are scheduled in the afternoon or in the evening.

“You sure? I can drive you to work, then just come back.”

“Or you can just rest and save gas. It’s fine, Minho.” She smiled at him in reassurance.

“Really?”

She nodded and with a small smile. “I’ll be giving you updates tomorrow, don’t worry.”

Minho was used to going to and leaving work together with his wife. “Alright. I’ll just be seeing you around tomorrow, I guess.” He shrugged before he resumed eating, but he knew that he wanted reassurance; to make sure that she was safe and okay. “Yeah, right. I’m gonna commute to work so I can still go to your clinic and go home together,” he thought to himself.

 

 


 

Author's note: Hii! First of all, let me tell start by saying sorry to you, my readers that it took me a while to update, but I assure you that I won't be abandoning this story. Next, I want to greet everyone a late Happy Valentine's Day and a belated Happy  Lunar New Year :) I hope you spent the day/those days with your loved one/s and had a great time! Third, I want to ask you my dear Shawols how you guys have been doing? There will always be a pang in our hearts, especially that the concert was held the day before the second month and day 2 of the concert was held exactly two months after what happened. It might take us years, but I do know one thing; the Shawols will always look out for the boys and for each other. Lastly, I want to thank my 13 subscribers! To my subscribers and commenters, I really appreciate it, you guys! Please don't forget to tell me what you guys think of this chapter on the comments section below :) oh, and stay tuned for the next one! <3 much love.