SIXTEEN

Give Your Heart a Break

The days flew by quickly and it was finally time for Jiwon to fly back to Sydney. Krystal went to work, just like her usual Saturday because she was only in the hospital for the first half of the day. Minho left together with his wife in order to bring Jiwon to the airport. Since they got home earlier, Krystal was planning to cook lunch. However, upon entering the house, they could already smell the stoma of the food that was cooked by her best friend.

“Perfect timing!” Jiwon was already plating the food when the couple arrived.

“Why did you cook? You’re leaving later, you should’ve let us do the cooking!”

“You two are tired, I’m very sure of that. Plus, I’ll be spending long hours in the plane doing nothing again, so might as well.” She smiled to reassure her best friend that it was no big deal. “And I wanna see you eat what I cooked.” As she placed the food on the table, she spoke with a stern voice. “I’d love it if you won’t cry.”

Krystal looked up and shut her eyes to stop her tears. “I’m not crying and I won’t.”

Minho just watched her while smiling before putting both of his hands on her shoulders and giving them a light squeeze. “Thanks for the thoughtful gesture, Jiwon. We’re actually starving. Your twin’s stomach kept churning on the way home.” He led Krystal to the dining table and helped her sit.

“Really?! Wow, it’s actually my dream to hear that! This girl right here never gets hungry! I hope you eat a lot because I prepared the food. If you don’t, then I’ll be very hurt.”

She knows that it’s her twin’s way of guilt tripping her because she doesn’t have the appetite because she knows that the other one’s leaving in a littler later. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll eat a lot.”

 

Minho and Krystal washed the dishes and asked their guest to just relax. He even insisted on washing the dishes, but she said that they’ll finish faster if they work together. Krystal started humming Fly Me to the Moon, then Minho started singing along to her tune. They looked at each other and smiled before singing together. Jiwon was sure she could hear something from the kitchen, so she quietly went in to see what it was. She smiled upon seeing the sight of the couple doing the dishes together while harmonizing. She got her phone to film them and even took pictures.

“In other words, I love you,” the two sang together, while Jiwon was silently giggling like a child. She was smiling so much at the scene and she knows that she will be teasing her best friend soon because of this. She wanted to squeal loudly, but she needs to spy on the two in order to enjoy teasing them. After singing the last line from the song, Minho and Krystal looked at each other and both were smiling shyly at each other. Jiwon quietly ducked back to the couch and went on to read her ebook before she casually made her way into the kitchen, acting as if she wasn’t there to witness the cute moment between the two.

“My bad, I forgot to drink water.” She noticed that her best friend was a bit startled with her presence. “Sorry, I think I might have ruined something.” She furrowed her eyebrows and quickly walked back to the living room with her glass of water and let out the laughter that she’s been holding back. God knows how badly she wanted to twin.

 

On the way to the airport, Krystal wasn’t saying much and Jiwon knew exactly why. Though they see each other yearly, she still hates saying goodbye. She no longer cries as much as she did when they saw each other for the first time after almost a decade, but she would still get teary-eyed. They waited for her to be checked in before the two best friends gave each other a hug goodbye, or see you soon, as they’d like to call it to not make their parting sad.

“Well,” Jiwon sighed. “I gotta go to the gates.”

Krystal only nodded with a sad smile on her face. “Take care and don’t forget to send me updates, okay?”

Jiwon laughed at her. “I know you’re gonna wait till you can no longer see me at the immigration line before you leave.”

She laughed while nodding. “You got that right.” She sighed before hugging her best friend tightly. “Thank you for making my birthday complete. Take care of yourself.”

“You’re very welcome. You, too, doc. Take care of yourself- but I know Minho will be doing that quite well.” She best friend for the last time, which earned her a whack on her head. “What, am I lying?”

“Ugh, why are we best friends again?”

“Because we used to hate each other.”

The two girls laughed before breaking their hug. Jiwon turned around and looked at Minho dead in the eyes. “Choi Minho, thank you.” She put her hand out for him, which he gladly took for a handshake.

“You’re very welcome.”

“Oh, and,” she placed her arm around Krystal before she continued. “My twin can be really crabby at times and she may seem cold, but she’s got a big heart. Her heart’s so big that she gives people a world of chances even if they don’t deserve it. She’s a tough person, but she’s also fragile. She may also look like she doesn’t care, but she really does. Take care of her, Minho. She sometimes forgets to eat her meals and she’s also a workaholic, so she also forgets to sleep sometimes. She's also not allowed to eat a lot and her food intake must be in control. She also eats food that are not allowed for her just to please the people she's with even if it puts her life in danger. That's how nice my twin is. I trust you to look out for her. If you make her cry, I really swear to the heavens that I’ll be using my hands to hurt you.”

Minho looked at Jiwon’s eyes and nodded to assure her that he understood everything that she said. His eyes moved to his wife and he saw her wiping the tears that formed in her eyes discreetly while looking down because of her best friend’s speech.

Jiwon leaned a bit forward to whisper. “She’s got a big heart and you have no idea, but you might even take the most room in it.” She raised her eyebrow to ask if he got the message and he just nodded.

“Noted,” he reassured her.

Jiwon put her arm around Krystal and glared at Minho. “So again, if you hurt her, I really won’t think twice to hurt you, am I making myself clear?”

He gave her a salute as a reply. “Yes, ma’am. I got it. Take care on your flight.”

“You got everything you need?”

Jiwon nodded before giving her best friend another hug. “I’ll message you before I board the plane.”

Krystal nodded and felt her tears forming. “Take care.”

Jiwon was the first one to break the hug, followed by Krystal. “I gotta go,” she said to the couple as she waved.

Krystal could only nod softly before waving. Jiwon was walking slowly, then her face lit up when she saw Minho put his arm around Krystal. “I’ll take care of her,” he mouthed to her and she nodded. She knew that he was the perfect guy for her best friend and she need not to worry. She sure had fun teasing her best friend and her husband, which was one of her goals ever since the two were first introduced to each other and Krystal would tell stories about him. She hoped that her visit finally knocked some sense into her and it looks like it did.

The couple waited until they could no longer see Jiwon in line and waited for her message that she was already walking to the gates before they left.

“Let’s go,” she asked him.

Minho nodded and gave a small smile at Krystal. “We don’t wanna be late for our date tomorrow.” He smiled widely this time, which only made her roll her eyes at him.

“Tch, it’s gonna be a long way home. Let’s go.” She shook her head as she walked towards the exit, leaving her husband who was chuckling behind, then going after her.

In the car, none of them spoke. It was only until Minho played classical music when a sound was finally heard inside the car. Krystal would hum, tap her feet, or tap her fingers to the beat as she stared out the window. A beep was heard from Krystal’s phone and it was Jiwon, updating her that she had just bought food before settling herself down by the gates. She smiled lightly as she remembered how her twin is always hungry.

“You can sleep if you want.”

“I’d rather not.”

“Your eyes aren’t tired from the crying yet?”

She laughed softly before shaking her head. “I’ve gotten used to it. This one’s nothing. I used to sob nonstop before.”

“You cry a lot, don’t you?”

“It depends on the situation, but I’m most certainly not a crybaby.”

Minho chuckled. “You better get mad at your twin, then. While I was planning your surprise, she said that I need to be careful because you cry easily.”

“It used to be like that, but not anymore. I guess you can say I’m a big girl now?”

“Maybe.” He shrugged before glancing shortly at her and curving his lips upward as he placed his eyes back on the road.

 

A couple of minutes before they arrived home, Krystal’s phone rang and she instantly answered it upon seeing who it was. “You’re boarding now?”

“Yep, I’m boarding now. Are you at home now?”

“Not yet. Still a few minutes away. You bought yourself a lot of snacks again, didn’t you?”

“You know how I get hungry all the time!” The two girls shared a laugh over the phone. “I better get going now. That’s my last call.”

“Alright, update me when you arrive in Sydney.”

“Will do!”

“Take care!”

“You too!”

“Love you, twin!” The two girls greeted each other in unison before laughing at how in sync they are.

“Annyeong,” Jiwon greeted.

“Mhm. Bye,” Krystal replied as she waved her hand to the phone out of habit when they’re on FaceTime. The two girls ended the call at the same time, then shortly after they were already at home.

As they went inside the house, Krystal waited for Minho to enter. He felt worried with how she looked like she wanted to tell him something. Slowly he approached her and stopped at a proper distance just in front of her. “Everything alright,” he asked her.

She nodded with her lips slightly curved upwards. “Minho, thank you so much. Thank you for flying her all the way here. Thank you for everything.”

The next thing that she did surprised him. She launched herself towards him to give him a hug, a tight one, while she was a bit teary-eyed. “You must’ve loved your birthday this year. You really can’t stop thanking me.” He chuckled at her while patting her head.

She sighed before she could respond. “You have no idea. Thank you for making my birthday a truly memorable one.”

“Wait, before I forget- we’re still up for tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah. That’s gonna be the quiet celebration.” She broke the hug and looked at her husband. “Have you thought of where you want to go?”

He tilted his head in confusion. “Isn’t it your birthday celebration still? You should be the one choosing where you want to go.”

“I really can’t think of any.”

“Well, I may have got something planned for tomorrow, I hope you don’t mind.”

She blinked in shock. “Oh- okay. Let’s just have lunch on Monday.”

“No, no. What I mean is I’ve got something planned for tomorrow for us.”

“Oh. Yeah, I was actually going for that. Like I just invited you to go out, but since I wasn’t able to acknowledge your hard work when you actually put a lot of effort into it, I want you to pick out everything that we’ll be doing tomorrow.” She smiled at him.

“Ah, I see.” He nodded before smirking. “See you tomorrow, then. I’m gonna head up now because I gotta get ready for the fun day. Good night.”

She waved at him before wishing him a good night’s sleep. “Night night!” She watched him go upstairs before she made sure that all the doors and windows were locked and what needs to be unplugged are unplugged before going to her room.

 


 

Author's note: The next chapter will be full of Minstal, which will be posted... now. See you in the chapter on their date! :D