FIFTEEN

Give Your Heart a Break

Krystal was the first one to wake up at 7:00 am and decided that she’ll exercise because it was still early. She finished her morning run in two hours, then went straight to the kitchen to prepare brunch for her twin and her husband.

The sound of the footsteps of someone descending from the stairs was blocked by the old songs that she was blasting. “You’re such a granny,” she heard someone say, which made her turn to see who it was.

“You still wake up early and you still love these songs.”

“I know, I know, I’m no longer shocked with your remark. That’s how you usually describe me.” She shook her head as she chuckled.

“What’s for brunch, granny?”

“Fish fillet and mixed veggies. Oh, and,” she paused to face Jiwon before continuing. “We’re twins, remember? If I’m such an old grandma, then so are you.”

“You’re on your own, Soojung.”

The two shared a laughed, then Jiwon asked to help her best friend. The two best friends worked together, then Krystal excused herself to go upstairs and shower while the food was cooling down. “You slept late, then woke up early again. You’re still unkind to yourself,” Jiwon said before sighing.

 

“Morning, Jiwon!” Minho greeted the girl who was busy in her phone on the couch.

“Morning, doc!” She greeted him without removing her attention from the article that she was reading.

He saw that there was already food on the table when he went to get himself a glass of water. “You cooked these?”

“No, your wife did. She was already in the kitchen when I woke up.”

“Oh, she did?”

She nodded. “Yeah she told me she went straight to cooking after her morning run.”

“Where is she?”

“Here,” Krystal replied from the top of the staircase. “I asked Jiwon to watch the food for me while it was getting cooled because I’m already sticky.”

“Skipping today, right?”

She nodded at her husband. “Let’s eat now so you can start getting ready.” She smiled at him and he smiled back before nodding. They took their seats at the breakfast table and started with their meal.

 

“Thank you for the food. I’ll be getting ready now.” He stood from the table while the two ladies just nodded and watched him leave. As he closed the door from his room, Jiwon suddenly spoke.

“I don’t know if you’re stupid, but I know you’re smart.”

Krystal furrowed her brows in confusion. “Huh?”

“Remember when you two were getting teased?”

“Since we graduated high school?”

Jiwon nodded. “What if it wasn’t just you who thought that you two could end up together? Maybe he had a crush on you too!”

“Keep your voice down! And how many times have I told you since we first met, I didn’t have a crush on him.” 

She smiled evilly. “So now you do?”

“Kim Jiwon, shut it!” She felt her face heating up.

“Do you even see how red you are right now?” She laughed at her best friend. “Soojungie, I’ve always known that you like him, okay? Remember how you’d always tell me about him when you guys haven’t seen each other again after Yoona’s birthday?”

She could only nod. “From mom’s stories from his dad.”

“I’ve known you since we were in elementary. You can’t even lie because you don’t and you fail when you try!”

“I hate how right you are about that.”

“When you only heard stories from your parents about him, you were somehow wishing that you guys would end up together, right?”

Krystal’s eyes met Jiwon’s that was piercing through her. She gently nodded, then shut her eyes as tight as she could.”

“I FINALLY MADE YOU ADMIT IT!”

“I know you were rooting for us too.”

“Yeah, I was even the one who kept telling you that it’s about time you two should date because you were both graduating from university and go to med school, but you said that your studies is your main focus- as always.”

“And you even said that we can even give each other answers during exams,” she laughed at the memory before shaking her head.

Jiwon slowly nodded. “That’s right, but I know you wouldn’t and it looks like he also wouldn’t because you two were each other’s male and female counterparts. I was just teasing you two in my unique and academic way.”

“Just stuff yourself some more and keep quiet before he hears you.”

“I’m convinced that you’re right about having the need to get your eyes checked. I don’t know if you’re blind sometimes.”

“Maybe, just maybe, he’s just like this because we were arranged.”

“OR,” she said while emphasizing the word. “Just like what I’ve told you, he really felt the same way about you- that maybe, just maybe, you’ll be the one for him.”

Krystal prepared a spoonful of food, then shoved it to her best friend’s mouth. “I’m a good cook, right?”

She whacked Krystal’s head and the other girl just smirked. “You wanted to kill me?”

“But I’m a good cook, right?”

“Yeah, sure, whatever.”

 

“I’ll go now,” Minho said as he descended from the stairs.

The two ladies got up from the couch to greet him. After greeting him, Krystal walked him out to the door. “You got everything you need?”

“Mhm.”

“We might leave and not be home in time for dinner. I’ll just send you updates.”

“Yes, please. It will be easier to know if we’ll just meet somewhere or just here at home.”

She nodded as as a small smile was on her face. She walked outside with him to the car. “Take care.”

His lips were pursed together and curved upwards in a thin smile. “Thank you, you too. Have fun and see you later.”

Her lips curved slightly upwards as she held one hand up. “Later.”

He stepped inside the car, then drove for work without her.

“What do you wanna do today,” she asked Jiwon as soon as she headed back inside.

The other girl shrugged and pouted. “I don’t know- shopping, maybe?”

“Oooh! It’s sale season right now, let’s go!”

“I’m gonna go get ready.”

“Me too.”

The two best friends ran upstairs and as Jiwon showered, Krystal started picking her outfit, then went to fix her hair.

 

After buying almost from every store that they go to, Jiwon started complaining that she’s hungry, while Krystal still refused to eat and kept saying that she was full.

“I’m really hungry now, twin!” Her stomach churned loudly, which made Krystal widen her eyes.

“But-“

“We rarely see each other in person and I’m not even sure if you get to eat properly! Can’t it be my wish for you in your birthday?”

She furrowed her eyebrows, then gave Jiwon a weird look. “To what, eat?” She threw her head back to laugh when she saw the other girl nod. “Alright, alright! You really don’t believe that I eat well? Why don’t you ask Minho?”

“Okay, I’m easy to talk to. That’s what I’ll be doing.” She laughed at her before pulling her to a café nearby.

“You do know I was kidding, right?”

“Yes, I’m very well aware of that.”

 

Just when they’ve just finished eating their croissant, as if on cue, Krystal’s phone started ringing. When she checked to see who it was, it was Minho. “Yes,” she said as she picked up.

“You, girls, are still out?”

“Yeah. We’ll be heading home a little later, I think.”

He looked at his watch and saw that he was leaving a bit early. “I’m actually done now. You want to meet somewhere or at home?”

“Maybe we can just meet somewhere? We just took the subway, anyway.”

“Alright, just text me the details.”

“Will do. See you.”

He waited for her to end the call before removing his phone on his ear. He fixed his stuff and got ready to leave. On his way out, he greeted his assistant and wished her to be safe in going home.

 

“Wanna walk around?”

Jiwon nodded. “I finally got my snack, so I feel fine now.” The two girls got up and linked their arms together as they walked.

They went inside some shops as they passed by them, but didn’t buy unnecessary stuff and items which they think won’t be used as much. 

Krystal unconsciously went to the men’s section in one of the stores that they went to, leaving her best friend alone. Jiwon was asking her opinion on a sweater, but when she looked beside her, Krystal wandered off somewhere. She walked with the sweater in her hand as she looked for the girl, until she saw her walking along the men’s section. She smirked before shaking her head and holding her laughter in as she approached her.

“Hey, what do you think about this?”

Krystal looked behind her to see her best friend holding up a sweater in front of her. “The color’s great.” She smiled as she touched the piece of clothing in her favorite color.

“You’d obviously say that.” She giggled before poking her side.

“What was that for?”

“You didn’t tell me you’ll be wandering off somewhere. I didn’t know I was talking to air.”

She pouted before wrapping both arms around her, accidentally hitting her a with a paper bag on her cheek. She gasped before rubbing the part that she hit and apologizing. “You still love me right?”

“If my arms are free right now, I’ll be throwing you to the river!”

“Can you do that?”

“Sure, I can!”

“To me?”

Jiwon grunted in annoyance, which made Krystal laugh. “I hate you.”

She let go of her best friend, then tugged her arm back to the ladies section. “Let’s go back.”

“What? No, I’ll be fine by myself. I know your wife instincts brought you here.” She smiled cheekily before running back to the ladies section. She knows just how to annoy her best friend. This is why the two girls knew that they are not just best friends, but they are very much like twins, thus addressing each other that way.

“You know I don’t run,” she said softly to herself before letting out a huge huff and turning around to look around the men’s section.

“I know,” Jiwon said softly to herself as she knew exactly what her best friend was thinking before laughing and putting the sweater back on the rack.

 

“You’re here?” Krystal’s voice was heard from the other end of the line.

“Yep, just parked the car. Where are you?” He went down the car, then went inside the mall after locking it.

“We’re just in the cashier, then we’ll meet you. Have you thought of where to eat?”

“I really have nothing in mind. What about you?”

“Can’t think of anything too,” she replied before laughing. The sound of her laugh on the phone made him smile.

“We’ll just have your twin decide where to eat then?”

“I’m in the mood for pizza,” he heard Jiwon say from a distance on the other end of the line. “She already decided,” Krystal said to him.

“Yep, I heard. I’ll be meeting you at the pizza place. I’ll go there now.”

“Noted. See you.”

He kept his phone after she hang up, then proceeded to walk to the restaurant. He got them a table and waited for the two ladies to arrive. 10 minutes later, approached him and scanned through the menu right away.

 

Minho asked how their day went and they told him that they just went shopping and talked about some of their old schoolmates and grabbed a quick bite before going around some more. When the girls asked how his day went, he said that it was nothing new. However, she shared that one of his patients was brought in the hospital earlier due to a cardiac arrest, but he didn’t make it. The food arrived and Krystal scooped food right away, but it was for Minho.

“Eat,” she told him. “You need it.”

He met her eyes and gave her a small smile. “Thanks.” He waited for everyone to have food on their plates before he started eating.

 

As the three of them ate, they also exchanged stories. In the middle of eating dinner, Krystal excused herself to go to the bathroom. “Choi Minho, I want a word with you.”

Minho raised his head and blinked at his wife’s best friend. “Uh, okay.” She had a serious face on, which made him a big nervous.

“Listen, I’m gonna keep this short because I know she won’t take long. Do you love my twin?”

He blinked once more before sighing and nodding.

“Yeah, I know. I just wanted to confirm it. Okay, I’ll be letting you in on a little secret and I’m not in the position to be telling you anything, so I’ll just give you a warning. My best friend’s not just my friend, okay? We may not be blood-related, but she’s my sister. She’s been hurt so bad so many times and I don’t want her crying about another guy, got it? If you make her cry, then I won’t hesitate to fly all the way here to bury you alive.” Jiwon smiled evilly at him.

“I promise, I won’t. I don’t even intend to.” He smiled at her for reassurance.

“Good.”

“So, what did I miss,” Krystal said as she returned to her seat.

“Nothing much,” Minho replied before smiling and taking another bite of his food.

 


 

Author's note: I smell a multiple update coming! See you in the next chapter :)