Beginning a new chapter (Part 1)

The moon is beautiful, isn´t it?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a beautiful morning. The sun shined and the birds were already singing in the trees.
Chaeyoung woke up to a buzzing sound near her head. Still dozing she grabbed for her phone and turned the alarm off. Then she turned around and tried to fall asleep again. After ten minutes the second alarm went off. Now it was time to get up. She jumped off of her bed and ran to the window. One last time she enjoyed the view. In five hours she would be at her university, starting the new chapter of her life. She´s going to study Business Management at YMP University; an university that opened just three years ago, but it already made a mark. Her minor courses will be English and Computer Science.
She took the clothes she prepared the day before, a loose grey sweater, black jeans and new underwear. Then she examined her face in the mirror. Her chin length brown hair, the mole near her lips, her nose, her brown eyes, the eyebrows and the dimple on her right cheek as she smiled. She was quite happy with her face. She thinks she´s not the prettiest, but she´s cute.
Then her eyes went down to her body and the smile disappeared. She wasn’t happy with her body at all. She thought she was too small, no abs, no big s nor a nice . She shook her head and turned away before her mood could change to the worse.
You have a cute face, that’s enough.
She headed to the bathroom, closed. She knocked.
“Who is it?” Her stepbrother Jackson asked from inside.
“Me.”
“Wait a minute. Maybe two, or five. I´m busy.” Without answering she went back to her room and played a bit on her phone. Around ten minutes later Jackson knocked on her door.
“You can go now!” He shouted from outside but Chaeyoung didn’t bother to answer. “Have fun!”
Chaeyoung stood up and went with her clothes to the bathroom again. As she entered she almost puked as a disgusting smell went into her nose. “JACKSON!” She opened the window to let some fresh air into the bathroom.
He just pooped without ventilating. One day I´m going to rip him apart.
It was already 07:20 when it was possible for her to shower and get ready. Another ten minutes later she went downstairs. Jackson and her dad, well stepdad, were sitting at the dinner table eating breakfast. Her mother was standing at the cooker.
“Good morning, mum and dad.” She said, giving both a peck on the cheek. “Jackson.” He got nothing more but a furious gaze from her. Jackson smirked. She sat down across from Jackson and started eating.
Nine years ago her mother met Jacksons dad. He went to the real estate agency she was working for that time and it was love at first sight. They learned more about each other and shortly after, they moved together. The first couple of days were a bit awkward. It was something new to live with two nearly strangers under the same roof. But over time they got to know each other and everything went well. Five months later they married and became an official family. Her father, no, her genitor, left them both two months before Chaeyoungs birth. She doesn’t know how he looks or his name because her mom removed every little piece of him from their lives.
When her mom was standing in front of the altar and smiled, Chaeyoung was just happy that her mom found a man that truly loves her, respects her and makes her happy. A man she can rely on. And he loves her like she was his real daughter.
In terms of Jackson, most of the time he acts like a total jerk and goof but when she needs him, she can count on him. Whenever someone offended her or made fun of her in school, he was there and protected her. The first time was in fourth grade. Three older boys pushed Chaeyoung in an isolated corner and tried to steel her money. Jackson and three friends of him came to her rescue and fought with the boys. “Don’t touch my sister!” He shouted. It was the first time he called her “sister”. Before that he always called her just by her name. This day she found out that he really accepted her and loves her like a real sister. But, he´s still a goof.
“Are you two nervous?” Her dad asked. Between two bites of rice Jackson answered munching.
“A little bit. I´m wondering how it is to live in the dorm. I hope I don’t get any idiots as roommates.”
“The others have to hope they don’t get you as a roommate.” Chaeyoung said seriously. Jackson let his hands fall down on the table and whined.
“Dad, why did the baby say something like that?”
“Because she´s right. There´s no way I would be your roommate there.” Her dad answered, smiling at Chaeyoung. She chuckled and showed her tongue to Jackson.
“Mum?” Jackson whined again.
“I have nothing to do with that.”
“You´re loud, sometimes really annoying and you´re very lazy and untidy. Four no go’s for a roommate I want to have.” Their dad added, without looking up from the newspaper. Jackson mumbled something Chaeyoung couldn’t understand and continued eating.
When all of them finished their breakfast, Chaeyoung and Jackson got their luggage and packed it in the car.
“So, finally you´re both going to university.” Her mum said, as she got into the car.
“I still can´t believe that Jackson got accepted at YMP as well.”
“And I still can´t believe that you got accepted before me.” Jackson said, annoyed. Yes, he will also attend the YMP University, majoring in Street Dance and singing with minor courses in English, Acting and…Lyric Poetry. Chaeyoung didn’t know why he chose lyric poetry and he didn’t want to talk about it, the few times she asked him. The only reason she can imagine is that he thinks he can learn that way how to speak to girls, because well, although he´s good looking and quite confident, he just can´t speak when it comes to girls.
After some more minutes of Chaeyoung and Jackson arguing, she had enough and put her earphones in. She closed her eyes and enjoyed listening to the music.
What if I don’t find any friends? What if nobody will like me? What if my roommate is going to be a spoiled brat? Is there a chance to request another roommate? What if I get homesick?
Chaeyoung asked herself these questions all the time during the past three months.
Okay, calm down Chaeyoung. You know you can do it. You know you are good. You know that everyone finds friends in university. And your roommate is going to be cool, right? Wait, what if Jackson will be your roommate? No, no, no, no, no. That would be the worst case scenario.
As he could read her mind, she felt Jackson moving. A few moments later she smelled something, something bad. It took her a few seconds to realize what just happened. She opened her eyes and screamed, while pulling her earphones out.
“JACKSON! YOU´RE DISGUSTING!” He just farted straight in her face.
“What happened, Chae?” Her mom asked, while turning around. Jackson had a fit of laughter.
“He farted in my face! IN. MY. FACE!” Chaeyoung opened her window.
“Jackson…” Her mother just shook her head. Jackson couldn’t answer because he was still bubbling over with laughter.
“I can smell it.” Her dad said annoyed. He also opened his window.
“Oh, me too now.” Her mother added. Her dad leaned over and whispered.
“Maybe we should abandon him.” Chaeyoung put her head out of the window and breathed in the fresh air.
Thankfully I won’t see him any day anymore. What have I done to deserve a brother like that? But seriously, what if he becomes my roommate? What if they think it would be “nice” to put brother and sister in one room?
After Jack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter