Behind the Practice Room

Behind the Eyes of a Dreamer

A secret, Jinsook found, wasn't an easy thing to pretend not to know. Every time she saw Juyeon part of her wanted to confront her unnie, try to get an explanation out of her, anything to make the clouds in her own mind go away. Another part, a part Jinsook was trying to give little to no thought, felt incredibly curious. She didn't want to ask anything, she wanted to see. But that wasn't good. It wasn't good at all. So, instead, the girl decided to ignore it, pretend she didn't know Juyeon's preferences, or the fact that the older girl seemed to have something going on with Eunha, of all people. Just as her mind started to drift to all the reasons Juyeon could have to pick Eunha instead of someone else, she left out a frustrated sigh. Not again. Why couldn't she stop thinking about it? 

Deciding this kind of thought would only bring her frustration and other unwanted feelings, Jinsook focused on what was happening around her instead. They were taking a small break from practicing; their comeback was getting closer and because of that they couldn't waste too much time. Everything had to be perfect, even if it meant that they legs would be sore and their sleep patterns nonexistent. Luda trying to take a quick nap on Dawon's lap was proof of that. 

"Juyeon... Let me finish.". Cheng Xiao said, and Jinsook's whole attention went to them. She looked at the other side of the practice room and there they were; Juyeon kept trying to make a braid on Cheng Xiao's hair, but the dancer just wanted to finish stretching. They were both seated, Juyeon behind Xiao, her legs spread so the chinese girl could sit between them. 

Cheng Xiao is a cute girl...

Did that mean something?

Could be...?

But before she could finish her thoughts, Juyeon caught her looking and quickly gave her a wicked smile. 

"Want me to braid your hair too, Reum-ah?".

Jinsook felt nervous, but Xiao stood up and started stretching a little far from there, getting Juyeon's attention.

"Your hair will look so pretty braided!", she exclamed, her accent making her tone even cuter. Yes, Cheng Xiao was definitely a very cute girl, anyone that denied that could be called a liar without second thought.

"Thank you, unnie.", Jinsook quickly replied, and turned towards Juyeon. "Alright Juyeon unnie, you can braid my hair. I give you permission", she let out a cheeky laugh, showing her tongue to the older girl. Instead of getting caught off guard, the other girl seemed pleased. Jinsook felt some sort of pride grow inside of her.

"C'mon, sit in front of your unnie.", Jinsook did it, but she felt Juyeon's hands pushing her by the waist so they could be little closer. "Not so far, Reum-ah. How else would I be able to touch you?".

She just nodded, feeling that same weird sensation she had a few days ago when hearing the other girl's phone call. As Juyeon's hands moved through her hair, she slowly started to move closer and closer to Jinsook's, until her lips were close to the youngest's left ear.

"I know that you know.", she whispered. Just like that, without any ceremonies.

"Know what?" asked Jinsook instead, trying not to betray her own thoughts. No one was freaking out. No one. Was. Freaking out.

"Don't play with me..."

"I don't know what you're talking about unnie", she insisted, but when she tried to turn around Eunseo hold her in her place by the waist. Her hands didn't move.

"Please don't tell Hyunjung unnie, Reum-ah... This is important.", Jinsook let out a shaky breath. Why Hyunjung unnie, exactly? Maybe... Maybe Hyunjung unnie wouldn't approve? That didn't make sense in her mind, but she wouldn't go against Juyeon's wishes.

"Of course not, unnie. I promise."

Juyeon let her go, but she didn't move. Her hands quickly went back to Jinsook's hair. Getting all the courage she could muster, she turned around.

"Does... Does Xiao unnie know?".

The older girl looked at her for a few seconds.

"I hope not, or else my surprise party for her, Bona and Dayoung wouldn't be a surprise anymore.".

Oh.

The anniversary of the day the girls' of Wonder Unit had their teasers revealed was coming up, and if there was something the Cosmic Girls liked to do was celebrating. If they had a date that marked something, anything, you could bet one of the members would be preparing something. Juyeon probably didn't want Hyunjung to know because the other girl could tell Exy and Soobin, and then quickly everyone else would know. In any case, it was sweet, it was tradition, and Jinsook felt embarrassed she didn't realize it sooner. Now her question seemed foolish, and it could make Juyeon suspect that she rather talking about something else. Something... Deeper. Something that clearly the other girl didn't know that Jinsook knew. 

"Oh, alright, just checking, unnie. I got confused for a minute, you know me!", as usual, the lie came easily for her. 

"Reum-ah, sometimes your mind flies away and I just can't catch it.", she laughed, that laugh Juyeon always did, the one that felt like you just shared something naughty and extremely interesting. It made anyone feel like they were her favorite person in the world. "Now, let me finish that braid. You will look so cute!".

Jinsook turned back, letting the other girl finish the braid. It was only because of that, of course. She didn't turn as soon as she could because she blushed as soon as she heard the word "cute." No. that couldn't be.

 


 

The second time it happened, she still wasn't over her little moment with Juyeon. Now that she knew, she couldn't help but wonder if the other girls knew too. Or if any of them could be... involved, in that way. She started to pay more attention to how they acted around her; but nothing was out of the ordinary. Juyeon was the kind of person that loved to give and receive affection from girls, especially the cute ones... How difficult would it be to know the difference between a cute girl and the kind of cute girl Juyeon liked! Jinsook knew that it wasn't even her business, everything pointed her to the other direction. But something inside of her... It wanted to know more. And she couldn't fight it anymore. So, naturally, the second time happened.

Jinsook was leaving her vocal practice alone when she saw some movement from the corner of her eye. Following it, she came to realize it was Jiyeon unnie and Xuanyi unnie, both getting out of the practice room still dancing, the chinese girl clearly still full of energy.

"Unnies, did any of you see Juyeon unnie?".

"She's taking a shower, Jinsooki-ah. You should try hiding her clothes!", Xuanyi joked, and quickly Jiyeon gave her a weak slap on the arm. "What? It would be funny if she had to wear those... Ah... What's the word?".

"Uniforms?", Jiyeon quickly tried to guess.

"Yes, that exactly."

"But they are such cute uniforms!".

"No, they are boring uniforms!".

Seeing that the attention wasn't on her anymore, Jinsook quickly bowed out of respect and decided she would wait for Juyeon. Walking towards where the other girl would be, she started to get nervous, and almost turned around and left, after all, Dayoung and Yeonjung were probably waiting for her. But... Juyeon unnie... She had to try to see if she could know more.

As she made her way to the changing room, Jinsook started to question her own actions. She suddenly felt guilty for her own curiosity - why was she chasing a secret, when this had nothing to do with her? And why knowing that was making her feel sad? But, just as she changed her mind and decided to go back to the other girls and put this matter to rest, Juyeon appeared on her sight. Juyeon unnie was pretty. Juyeon unnie had a beautiful face, and her beauty grabbed attention even in the middle of a group of beautiful girls. Those were undeniable facts, and before that phone call Jinsook could say that without any sort of problem... However, as she thought of that now, her heart started beating fast, and all she wanted was... Was to... What did she want?

The thought suddenly scared her and she turned away, walking quietly to where she was supposed to go earlier. Putting both hands above her heart, Jinsook gasped.

This... Something was wrong. No. Something was... changing.

Changing it was, indeed.